Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default if you could afford

If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
would it be?

Just going to the store to do a food shopping. Craving something, but not
sure what.

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote in message
> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
> would it be?
>
> Just going to the store to do a food shopping. Craving something, but not
> sure what.
>
> elaine

With me, the money wouldn't be spent on the food per se, as much as on the
skilled Chef doing the preparation. It hasn't been often that I've had a
perfectly prepared anything in restaurants, and also, my tastes are
relatively simple. I would like a perfectly grilled filet mignon, perfectly
steamed asparagus, and a salad of mixed greens with an olive oil, lemon and
pepper dressing on it, that the salad is just lightly tossed in, not
drowning in.
Very simple as you can see, but probably expensive to find someone who can
do it to my liking.
Great topic question, by the way!
Chaviva

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote in message
> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
> would it be?
>
> Just going to the store to do a food shopping. Craving something, but not
> sure what.
>
> elaine

I spent the money and went to culinary school.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:
> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
> would it be?
>
> Just going to the store to do a food shopping. Craving something, but not
> sure what.
>
> elaine

Probably a Wendy's "Junior Bacon Cheeseburger", assuming I get to keep
the change.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote in message
> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
> would it be?
>
> Just going to the store to do a food shopping. Craving something, but not
> sure what.

Lobster tails, brushed with butter and broiled, served with drawn
butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chaviva" > wrote in message
t...

> "elaine" > wrote in message
>> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
>> would it be?
>>
>> Just going to the store to do a food shopping. Craving something, but
>> not sure what.
>>
>> elaine

> With me, the money wouldn't be spent on the food per se, as much as on the
> skilled Chef doing the preparation. It hasn't been often that I've had a
> perfectly prepared anything in restaurants, and also, my tastes are
> relatively simple. I would like a perfectly grilled filet mignon,
> perfectly steamed asparagus, and a salad of mixed greens with an olive
> oil, lemon and pepper dressing on it

and a broiled lobster tail on the side. Perfection.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> elaine wrote:
>> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
>> would it be?
>>
>> Just going to the store to do a food shopping. Craving something, but
>> not sure what.
>>
>> elaine

> Probably a Wendy's "Junior Bacon Cheeseburger", assuming I get to keep the
> change.

hahaha!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:

> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object
> what would it be?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortolan_Bunting#Gastronomy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote:
> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
> would it be?

Foie gras and truffles

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote in message
> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
> would it be?
>
> Just going to the store to do a food shopping. Craving something, but not
> sure what.
>
> elaine

Oysters, a selection of my favorites and as many as I want of each. And
someone to stand there and shuck 'em as I ate.

But then there's lobster ...

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> elaine wrote:
>>
>> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object
>> what would it be?

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortolan_Bunting#Gastronomy

That is gross. You are NOT a nice person.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice Friese" > wrote in message
. ..

> "elaine" > wrote in message
>> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
>> would it be?
>>
>> Just going to the store to do a food shopping. Craving something, but
>> not sure what.
>>
>> elaine

> Oysters, a selection of my favorites and as many as I want of each. And
> someone to stand there and shuck 'em as I ate.
>
> But then there's lobster ...

Agreed.. We need people to cook and shell!

e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote:

> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object
> what would it be?

Italian white truffles
Extremely good basalmic vinegar
The best American sturgeon caviar

There are plenty of lower-priced foods equally as good as these,
but they stand out as being either expensive or hard to obtain
or both.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote in message
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>> elaine wrote:
>>>
>>> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object
>>> what would it be?

>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortolan_Bunting#Gastronomy

> That is gross. You are NOT a nice person.

He's a person who enjoys disturbing and/or upsetting others. In newsgroups
the term usually used is "troll."

I make the distinction between those who actually TRY to upset others (the
true troll, for me) and those who just naturally do upset others (regular
people who tend to upset others).

I would say that Thorson was trying, but, you know, intent is so hard to
prove.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> elaine wrote:
> >
> > If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object
> > what would it be?

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortolan_Bunting#Gastronomy

I hope you're joking given the protected nature of this endangered
songbird species.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma Thackery wrote:

> I hope you're joking given the protected nature of this
> endangered songbird species.

It's not endangered at all. Eat all you want,
they'll make more!

http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/53514/all
Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:

> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
> would it be?
>
> Just going to the store to do a food shopping. Craving something, but not
> sure what.
>
> elaine

Lobster, fresh shrimp, beef tenderloin, quality steaks, artisan
cheeses and breads, etc. But my budget supplies shrimp only when on
sale, cheaper cuts of beef, packaged cheeses and store baked breads.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:
> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
> would it be?

Lobster, lobster, lobster, lobster and lobster.
And maybe some shrimp for variety.

> Just going to the store to do a food shopping. Craving something, but not
> sure what.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> elaine wrote:
>
>>If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object
>>what would it be?

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortolan_Bunting#Gastronomy

If?
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote:
> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
> would it be?

My very own Horn & Hardart automat, the way they used to be in the
day.

And my very own 1950s style Jewish Appetizing store like they had in
Brooklyn.

I can continue... for a charlotte rousse. hehe

You say I gotta pick one... okay, real caviar on onion pletzel
(essentially a giant bialy).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kossar's_Bialys

A lotta money has absolutely nothing to do with good food.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote:

> Lobster, fresh shrimp, beef tenderloin, quality steaks, artisan
> cheeses and breads, etc. But my budget supplies shrimp only when on
> sale, cheaper cuts of beef, packaged cheeses and store baked breads.

I'm there.

Although, once a year we get a gift of a $100 card for the Fresh Market
and I get a taste of how the other side lives.

Their meats are wonderful. This time I split it between meat and staples
like good olive oil and those wonderful baggied spices they sell. The
spices are about the only thing there that is cheap when compared
with other groceries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz > wrote:

>I would rather have a Double Western Cheeseburger than a black
>truffle.

I agree. Because black truffles are, near as I can tell,
completely uninteresting. White truffles though... man.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote in
:

> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object
> what would it be?

Potatoes :P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:
> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
> would it be?

My first thought was saffron. I like saffron a lot but don't use it
often because of the expense.

Then I thought about how much I love perfect, ripe, sweet, canteloupe
and how often I buy canteloupe, get it home, and discover that it's not
ripe enough or that it's ripe but not flavorful. I try so hard to shop
well, but choosing the perfect canteloupe is an elusive skill.

If money were no object, I'd have a canteloupe taster or some other
method to make sure I only paid for the perfect ones.

More thoughts: I'd buy chicken stock and demi glace made from scratch
with no salt or MSG added according to the Escoffier recipes. I
understand that no one sells them because no one is willing to pay the
price for them. If money were no object, I'd buy them freeze them, and
use them regularly.

Lobster is good too.
I'd eat more duck. (It used to be regularly available in my
supermarket. Now I have to go out of my way to find it.)
Cheeses. I'd buy a whole array of hard to find and hard to pay for
cheeses, especially chevres.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

And almond croissants flown in daily from Paris.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote in
:

> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object
> what would it be?
>
> Just going to the store to do a food shopping. Craving something, but
> not sure what.

I'd build a White Castle on the LA area!

--

Charles
The significant problems we face cannot be solved

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> Emma Thackery wrote:
> >
> > I hope you're joking given the protected nature of this
> > endangered songbird species.

> It's not endangered at all. Eat all you want,
> they'll make more!
>
> http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/53514/all

You better check your facts. Because of effete gluttons who like to
cover their heads with a square of linen and snort this particular
species by the dozen, they are indeed endangered in some regions and are
certainly in significant decline. In France, where it's now considered
haute imbecilite, there's a huge fine for killing them. I've never
understood the desire to snort songbird.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 06 May 2007 22:37:53 -0400, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

snipped
>Lobster is good too.
>I'd eat more duck. (It used to be regularly available in my
>supermarket. Now I have to go out of my way to find it.)

>--Lia

I would go for crayfish (lobster) too, and as many oysters (raw) as I
wanted.

But on duck. I slow-cooked a duck yesterday. We had it roasted (day
one); duck fried rice (day two) and duck soup, to come (day three).

Here's my address Lia. Turn left at Hawaii and fly for 6-8 hours or
so. There are two more ducks in the freezer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathy in NZ wrote:

> I would go for crayfish (lobster) too,

My comment is more about words than food. In these parts (U.S.)
crawfish and lobster are 2 different shellfish. You guys use the words
interchangeably?

Crawfish: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~jmeaux/cajun.html

Lobster: http://www.bluenoseinn.com/lobster.htm

It's hard to see from the pictures I found, but the lobster is
considerably larger. One or 2 make a meal. The flavor is delicate. It
is normally eaten with just butter, maybe lemon. Crawfish are smaller.
One sits down to a whole plate of them. They're usually boiled with
something spicy.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> And almond croissants flown in daily from Paris.

Nuts to that. Fly me to Paris and enjoy everything else there :-)
I have fond memories of breakfast buffets there with terrific croissants,
baguettes, cheeses, great coffee....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"elaine" > wrote:

> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
> would it be?
>
> Just going to the store to do a food shopping. Craving something, but not
> sure what.
>
> elaine

I'd like some smoked sturgeon, please. About a half pound of smoked
sturgeon would do.

Please? Pretty please?

Dave W.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> Lobster tails, brushed with butter and broiled, served with drawn
> butter.

I think I would have to include the airfare to the east coast to have my
lobster there. I've never had as good and fresh lobster as what we had
in Cape Cod.

--
Caryn
Caryn Nadelberg - Mommy to Sam and Queen of the May
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Caryn Nadelberg" > wrote in message
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> Lobster tails, brushed with butter and broiled, served with drawn
>> butter.

> I think I would have to include the airfare to the east coast to have my
> lobster there. I've never had as good and fresh lobster as what we had in
> Cape Cod.

Caryn, I lived in Baltimore when I had the best lobster of my life. Always
broiled, never boiled as they do in other places. I bet it's even better in
Cape Cod--cleaner water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:

> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
> would it be?
>
> Just going to the store to do a food shopping. Craving something, but not
> sure what.
>
> elaine

Well, this question sort of begs the answer of something like
caviar or truffles, etc.

It seems that most of the most expensive foods on the
planet are weird stuff that no one in their right
mind should want to actually eat.

I can't think of any food that I "can't afford" now
that I would want to eat.

Well, maybe, just one - foie gras.

Some things that are a little pricey that I would
like to be able to afford more often are a good steak
(Porterhouse or Delmonico), fresh black raspberries,
most kinds of fish (favorites are catfish, salmon,
tuna, trout, sea bass), shrimp, lobster, crab,
venison and other game, duck, goose, really good
milk chocolate.

That's all that I can think of off the top of
my head.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julia Altshuler" > wrote in message
. ..
> Kathy in NZ wrote:
>
>> I would go for crayfish (lobster) too,

> My comment is more about words than food. In these parts (U.S.) crawfish
> and lobster are 2 different shellfish. You guys use the words
> interchangeably?
>

> Crawfish: http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~jmeaux/cajun.html
>

> Lobster: http://www.bluenoseinn.com/lobster.htm
>

> It's hard to see from the pictures I found, but the lobster is
> considerably larger. One or 2 make a meal. The flavor is delicate. It
> is normally eaten with just butter, maybe lemon. Crawfish are smaller.
> One sits down to a whole plate of them. They're usually boiled with
> something spicy.

NO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

> It seems that most of the most expensive foods on the
> planet are weird stuff that no one in their right
> mind should want to actually eat.

That's why I find the question so interesting. One possible reason for
caviar's expense is because of its rarity, i.e. everyone wants it, but
there's not enough to go around so the price shoots up. But another
reason could be that no one wants it, so with so little demand, there's
no industry for it, which makes the price go up since you have only a
few people producing it at great expense.

I had to think for a while to come up with something that's both
wonderful and exhorbitent. I mean, fresh, crisp, in-season apples are
wonderful. Even out of season, they're not too bad. They're also
readily available and easily affordable. If the price shot up, I'd be
drooling for them. I wonder if I'd make as big a deal over them as I do
raspberries.

And saffron. I do like saffron, but do I like it more than good 'ol
available cinnamon? Probably not.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma Thackery wrote:

> In article >,
> Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> > It's not endangered at all. Eat all you want,
> > they'll make more!
> >
> > http://www.iucnredlist.org/search/details.php/53514/all

> You better check your facts. Because of effete gluttons who like to
> cover their heads with a square of linen and snort this particular
> species by the dozen, they are indeed endangered in some regions and
> are certainly in significant decline. In France, where it's now
> considered haute imbecilite, there's a huge fine for killing them.
> I've never understood the desire to snort songbird.

I did check my facts. Did you look at that link?
Do you think that the International Union for
Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources are
a bunch of bloodthirsty Frenchmen? They are
an international conservation organization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Conservation_Union

They publish a list cataloging the status of
species and subspecies, known at the IUCN Red List.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IUCN_Red_List

According to that list, the ortolan is certainly
not endangered, and it is not even threatened.
They give it their lowest category, "Least
Concern". That's as far away from "Endangered"
as you can get. There's no reason at all
to be concerned about eating ortolan.

How does that compare with your facts?
Oh, that's right, you didn't have any.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 6, 12:59 pm, "elaine" > wrote:
> If you could afford any food in the world, and money was no object what
> would it be?

1. I would have a dozen turkeys roasted every week or so. I'd give
away 11 of them, but reserve the drippings from all 12 to make turkey
gravy.
2. Sweet Cherries
3. Grass fed beef porterhouse steaks, 2" thick and grilled rare on
hickory fires.
4. American style, Cascade hopped pale ale.
5. http://www.haagen-dazs.com/products/product.aspx?id=322
6. BLTs w/ homegrown red tomatoes

> Just going to the store to do a food shopping. Craving something, but not
> sure what.

"What would you do for a Klondike Bar?"

> elaine

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mark Thorson > wrote:

> I did check my facts.

The assessment you cited was a relative one. Your logic is faulty and
your research expediently selective. For starters, "Least concern" does
not mean "no concern". As I said before, hunting of the species has
been banned in certain regions because of the significant decline in the
ortolan population--- especially in the European Union. Here is but one
of hundreds of such expert references you chose to igno

<http://www.sekj.org/PDF/anz42-free/anz42-091.pdf>

Once again, knowing that the creature is in decline and that hunting the
species is considered a punishable act in parts, if not all, of the EU,
one can hardly ascribe positive motivations to those who would further
contribute to their decline.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

IF I were "CEO" wealthy,
I'd have a full-time personal chef.

I would say; "Two thousand calories"
and, Chef would research, plan, shop,
and create all those healthy, tasty,
lo-cal meals that I see in picture-books.

<rj>