General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 05:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,876
Default Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish


therefore killing whales is necessary

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DGF4PJOJA1.DTL
or
http://tinyurl.com/2ocms4

--
See return address to reply by email

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 02:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,640
Default Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish


sf wrote:

therefore killing whales is necessary


That is interesting. Most whales, especially the big guys that the Japanese
like to kill, are baleen whales and eat krill, not fish.
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,879
Default Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish

Dave Smith wrote:
sf wrote:
therefore killing whales is necessary


That is interesting. Most whales, especially the big guys that the Japanese
like to kill, are baleen whales and eat krill, not fish.



Do you think, maybe, that JAPANESE are eating too much fish?

gloria p
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 08:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,256
Default Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish

On May 4, 2:10 pm, Puester wrote:
Dave Smith wrote:
sf wrote:
therefore killing whales is necessary


That is interesting. Most whales, especially the big guys that the Japanese
like to kill, are baleen whales and eat krill, not fish.


Do you think, maybe, that JAPANESE are eating too much fish?

gloria p


Who will the Japanese (and the Norwegians and the Icelanders) blame
when all the whales AND all the fish are gone? I just don't see how
anyone can be so short-sighted.

N.

  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 10:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,640
Default Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish

Nancy2 wrote:


Who will the Japanese (and the Norwegians and the Icelanders) blame
when all the whales AND all the fish are gone? I just don't see how
anyone can be so short-sighted.



I was wondering about a similar problem last night when I watched an
American news report out of Detroit about the latest (ongoing) gasoline
shortage. They were interviewing a guy who was commuting 4 miles by bicycle
to work because of the price of gas. He was pedalling down a street lines
with parked SUVs, like you really need an SUV when you live in the city and
need to commute. Then they interviewed a woman who was whining because they
have 3 cars they have to keep going. One for her working husband, one for
her and one for their teenage high school student daughter. Wonder how she
and her daughter will get to the mall when the gasoline runs out.


  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 10:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,311
Default Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish

One time on Usenet, Dave Smith said:
Nancy2 wrote:


Who will the Japanese (and the Norwegians and the Icelanders) blame
when all the whales AND all the fish are gone? I just don't see how
anyone can be so short-sighted.



I was wondering about a similar problem last night when I watched an
American news report out of Detroit about the latest (ongoing) gasoline
shortage. They were interviewing a guy who was commuting 4 miles by bicycle
to work because of the price of gas. He was pedalling down a street lines
with parked SUVs, like you really need an SUV when you live in the city and
need to commute. Then they interviewed a woman who was whining because they
have 3 cars they have to keep going. One for her working husband, one for
her and one for their teenage high school student daughter. Wonder how she
and her daughter will get to the mall when the gasoline runs out.


Maybe she and the daughter both work too?

--
Jani in WA
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 10:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,551
Default Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish

Dave Smith wrote:
sf wrote:

therefore killing whales is necessary


That is interesting. Most whales, especially the big guys that the Japanese
like to kill, are baleen whales and eat krill, not fish.


Exactly.


Sheldon

  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 631
Default Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish

On May 4, 12:45 pm, Nancy2 wrote:
Who will the Japanese (and the Norwegians and the Icelanders) blame
when all the whales AND all the fish are gone? I just don't see how
anyone can be so short-sighted.


If what the researchers show is true, then whale population control
would help the ecosystem for everyone.

We control deer, salmon, duck, elk, etc., because of this research,
why not whales?

Who will be blamed when the fish are gone? It's not just the Japanese,
Norwegians, Icelanders, who are raping the oceans.

Karen

  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 11:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 631
Default Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish

On May 4, 6:40 am, Dave Smith wrote:
That is interesting. Most whales, especially the big guys that the Japanese
like to kill, are baleen whales and eat krill, not fish.


The minke whale is mentioned, if you read the article.

Karen

  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 11:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 631
Default Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish

On May 4, 2:55 pm, Sheldon wrote:
Exactly.


Exactly that you are wrong. It's the minke whale that is mentioned.

Karen



  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 11:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,551
Default Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish

Nancy2 wrote:
sf wrote:

therefore killing whales is necessary


http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...le/archive/200....
orhttp://tinyurl.com/2ocms4


--
See return address to reply by email


It's unbelievable how short-sighted the Japanese, Norwegians and
Icelanders are. *Who are they going to blame when all the whales AND
the fish are gone?


They'll probably blame Imus. Won't be too very long "imus" will be a
dictionary word, so the losers can ascribe blame for their plight, as
in I was imused/we were imused/they were imused... us nappy headed
hoes we be imused. LOL

Sheldon

  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 11:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,640
Default Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish

Karen wrote:

On May 4, 6:40 am, Dave Smith wrote:
That is interesting. Most whales, especially the big guys that the Japanese
like to kill, are baleen whales and eat krill, not fish.


The minke whale is mentioned, if you read the article.


the Minke is a baleen whale
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 11:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,640
Default Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish



Karen wrote:

On May 4, 2:55 pm, Sheldon wrote:
Exactly.


Exactly that you are wrong. It's the minke whale that is mentioned.


Fish make up part of their diet, but not enough to endanger fish stocks.
The Japanese OTOH, have over fished and put fish stocks at risk around the
world.
  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,551
Default Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish

Karen wrote:
Sheldon wrote:

Exactly.


Exactly that you are wrong. It's the minke whale that is mentioned.

Karen


Karen, you epitomize dumb ****. The article lied by the sin of
ommission and you're just plain stupid.

Minke whales (there are two types) very occasionally feed on eel and
small fish but the vast majority of their diet consists of krill...
they are in no way a threat to the fishing industry... in fact they
filter the ocean water to such a degree that sea life of all kinds can
better flourish, and in turn that clearer water permits a greater
degree of sunlight to greater depths which promotes greater
photosynthesis thereby keeping a check on the so-called global warming
theories... the ocean's plants are far more instrumental than the land
forests in keeping the nature of this planet in balance. Baleen
whales are the Dysons of the seas.

http://www.enchantedlearning.com/sub...es/Minke.shtml


  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 631
Default Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish

On May 4, 3:23 pm, Dave Smith wrote:
Fish make up part of their diet, but not enough to endanger fish stocks.
The Japanese OTOH, have over fished and put fish stocks at risk around the
world.


If research is based on science, how could you know that whales don't
eat that much fish?

Karen



Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Giant tuna fetches $177,000 at Japan fish auction Wilson[_3_] Sushi 3 12-04-2012 06:18 PM
Forget Eating Fish - The least likely of all places in the world to find an uncontaminated fish is... Dr. Jai Maharaj[_1_] Vegan 0 11-02-2012 12:23 AM
Are you eating the fish you think you are? Janet Bostwick General Cooking 28 29-05-2011 09:24 PM
Eating jelly fish!!! Harald Gentexeater Sushi 4 31-03-2009 05:42 PM
Japan says: Whales are eating too much fish Nancy2 General Cooking 0 04-05-2007 03:31 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017