Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Temporarily usenet-handicapped

NIN closed my account on me because we changed our credit card so the
payment bounced... (they didn't even send a reminder email... ) and
it doesn't want to let us fix it today, so I'm reduced to Google...
Two things - google groups sucks, and I feel naked without my Agent
running!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit > wrote in news:1178118109.599990.229790
@n59g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

> Two things - google groups sucks, and I feel naked without my Agent
> running!

Yeah......... I can see that :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit > wrote in
oups.com:

> NIN closed my account

Nine Inch Nails? <G>

> on me because we changed our credit card
> so the payment bounced... (they didn't even send a reminder
> email... ) and it doesn't want to let us fix it today, so
> I'm reduced to Google... Two things - google groups sucks, and
> I feel naked without my Agent running!

There are some free news servers. You might want to spend some
time reading the free.newsservers group.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 02 May 2007 15:27:49 GMT, sandi > wrote:

>Kajikit > wrote in
roups.com:

>> NIN closed my account

>Nine Inch Nails? <G>
>
>> on me because we changed our credit card
>> so the payment bounced... (they didn't even send a reminder
>> email... ) and it doesn't want to let us fix it today, so
>> I'm reduced to Google... Two things - google groups sucks, and
>> I feel naked without my Agent running!

>There are some free news servers. You might want to spend some
>time reading the free.newsservers group.

Found one! Somebody took mercy on my parlous state and recommended a
new free newserver for me to try...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On 02 May 2007 15:27:49 GMT, sandi > wrote:
>
>>Kajikit > wrote in
groups.com:

>>> NIN closed my account

>>Nine Inch Nails? <G>
>>
>>> on me because we changed our credit card
>>> so the payment bounced... (they didn't even send a reminder
>>> email... ) and it doesn't want to let us fix it today, so
>>> I'm reduced to Google... Two things - google groups sucks, and
>>> I feel naked without my Agent running!

>>There are some free news servers. You might want to spend some
>>time reading the free.newsservers group.

> Found one! Somebody took mercy on my parlous state and recommended a
> new free newserver for me to try...

Oooh! Parlous! A gold star for you, missy!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My commiserations. My ISP in their wisdom decided not to run
newsgroups at all, so I'm now limited to google. Half the time my
replies don't appear, but it's also nowhere near as friendly as Agent.

You probably won't see this!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathy-in-NZ wrote:
> My commiserations. My ISP in their wisdom decided not to run
> newsgroups at all, so I'm now limited to google. Half the time my
> replies don't appear, but it's also nowhere near as friendly as Agent.
>
> You probably won't see this!

That was my situation as well, and then one of the many trolls was seen
to be posting from a free news service and I clicked on it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathy-in-NZ wrote on 03 May 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> My commiserations. My ISP in their wisdom decided not to run
> newsgroups at all, so I'm now limited to google. Half the time my
> replies don't appear, but it's also nowhere near as friendly as Agent.
>
> You probably won't see this!

Usenet access can be purchased from various sites...I for a while used

http://www.giganews.com/usenet_offers/t/usenet.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> NIN closed my account on me because we changed our credit card so the
> payment bounced... (they didn't even send a reminder email... ) and
> it doesn't want to let us fix it today, so I'm reduced to Google...
> Two things - google groups sucks, and I feel naked without my Agent
> running!

>From your Google profile is seems you've been posting just fine with

Google.

I think Google is pretty good, has lots of very nice features, just
gotta use it for a while to familiarize (no different from moving to a
new house), and they keep adding, only problem is it stops working for
a day when they do a major upgrade, but that's true with any
software... at least Google upgrades.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> NIN closed my account on me because we changed our credit card so the
> payment bounced... (they didn't even send a reminder email... ) and
> it doesn't want to let us fix it today, so I'm reduced to Google...
> Two things - google groups sucks, and I feel naked without my Agent
> running!

That almost happened to me. You have to use "add credit
card". You can't change the credit card information....

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

And what is the name of this free news server and how do i get it?

--
Helen
in
"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On 02 May 2007 15:27:49 GMT, sandi > wrote:
>
>>Kajikit > wrote in
groups.com:

>>> NIN closed my account

>>Nine Inch Nails? <G>
>>
>>> on me because we changed our credit card
>>> so the payment bounced... (they didn't even send a reminder
>>> email... ) and it doesn't want to let us fix it today, so
>>> I'm reduced to Google... Two things - google groups sucks, and
>>> I feel naked without my Agent running!

>>There are some free news servers. You might want to spend some
>>time reading the free.newsservers group.

> Found one! Somebody took mercy on my parlous state and recommended a
> new free newserver for me to try...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathy-in-NZ wrote:
> My commiserations. My ISP in their wisdom decided not to run
> newsgroups at all, so I'm now limited to google.

I pay about a dollar a month (10 Euros a year) for individual.net
(which doesn't carry binary groups) and I like it.

http://news.individual.net

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 May 2007 23:50:53 -0400, "Felice Friese"
> wrote:

>"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On 02 May 2007 15:27:49 GMT, sandi > wrote:

>>>There are some free news servers. You might want to spend some
>>>time reading the free.newsservers group.

>> Found one! Somebody took mercy on my parlous state and recommended a
>> new free newserver for me to try...

>Oooh! Parlous! A gold star for you, missy!

We's edumakated we is... :P
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:
> Kathy-in-NZ wrote:
>> My commiserations. My ISP in their wisdom decided not to run
>> newsgroups at all, so I'm now limited to google.

> I pay about a dollar a month (10 Euros a year) for individual.net
> (which doesn't carry binary groups) and I like it.
>
> http://news.individual.net

Recommendation seconded. I've been with them for years, going back to
when they were cis.dfn.de.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 May 2007 12:36:08 -0400, "MOMPEAGRAM"
> wrote:

>And what is the name of this free news server and how do i get it?

Sure... the name of the site and server is albasani.net . I got a
response from them pretty quickly. Just go there and click on 'contact
us' and say 'can I please have a usenet account?' and they shall
provide.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-02, Kajikit > wrote:

> Two things - google groups sucks, and I feel naked without my Agent
> running!

I'm losing my news service shortly and have been looking around for
alternatives. This looks promising:

http://www.newsservers.net/FreeNewsServers.php

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 May 2007 00:09:55 -0700, Kathy-in-NZ > wrote:

>My commiserations. My ISP in their wisdom decided not to run
>newsgroups at all, so I'm now limited to google. Half the time my
>replies don't appear, but it's also nowhere near as friendly as Agent.
>
>You probably won't see this!

You don't need your ISP to carry newsgroups to be able to read them...
I don't use comcast's newsgroup service because I think their
retention sucks. Register with albasani.net or one of the other free
usenet feeds and you can go back to using Agent. Google's alright
for emergencies (they seem to have improved it slightly since they
first started googlegroups), but I'd hate to have to use it all the
time!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 May 2007 10:37:44 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

>Kajikit wrote:
>> NIN closed my account on me because we changed our credit card so the
>> payment bounced... (they didn't even send a reminder email... ) and
>> it doesn't want to let us fix it today, so I'm reduced to Google...
>> Two things - google groups sucks, and I feel naked without my Agent
>> running!
>>

>That almost happened to me. You have to use "add credit
>card". You can't change the credit card information....

I don't really mind now I've found another newsfeed to use... if I can
get it for free I can save that twenty-five bucks a year for something
else!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-03, Serene wrote:

> Kathy-in-NZ wrote:
>> My commiserations. My ISP in their wisdom decided not to run
>> newsgroups at all, so I'm now limited to google.

> I pay about a dollar a month (10 Euros a year) for individual.net
> (which doesn't carry binary groups) and I like it.
>
> http://news.individual.net

So do I --- very reliable service, with good spam-filtering.

--
| _
| ( ) ASCII Ribbon Campaign
| X Against HTML email & news
| / \ www.asciiribbon.org
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 5:23 am, Adam Funk > wrote:
> On 2007-05-03, Serene wrote:
> > Kathy-in-NZ wrote:
> >> My commiserations. My ISP in their wisdom decided not to run
> >> newsgroups at all, so I'm now limited to google.

> > I pay about a dollar a month (10 Euros a year) for individual.net
> > (which doesn't carry binary groups) and I like it.

> >http://news.individual.net

> So do I --- very reliable service, with good spam-filtering.

Hey, thanks very much. I had no idea I could subscribe seperately to a
newsreader service and still use Agent. I only ever used it for this
group. Are you worth 10 euro a year? Just kidding!

Kathy in NZ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3 May 2007 23:25:07 -0700, Kathy-in-NZ > wrote:

>On May 4, 5:23 am, Adam Funk > wrote:

>> > I pay about a dollar a month (10 Euros a year) for individual.net
>> > (which doesn't carry binary groups) and I like it.

>> >http://news.individual.net

>> So do I --- very reliable service, with good spam-filtering.
>>

>Hey, thanks very much. I had no idea I could subscribe seperately to a
>newsreader service and still use Agent. I only ever used it for this
>group. Are you worth 10 euro a year? Just kidding!
>
>Kathy in NZ

And now I'm in business. I've subscribed, but I had to use my real
email address. Please don't spam me!

I will enjoy having more control with what I read and post. I just
deleted 23,000 messages, so I'll start again from scratch. I am a keen
cooker, for those that don't know me. I wouldn't regard myself as a
chef. I do quite fancy cooking for friends, but I use recipes. I don't
create from scratch, though I might adapt. My friends say they enjoy
meals at my house. That's my CV!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-05-04, Kathy in NZ wrote:

> And now I'm in business. I've subscribed, but I had to use my real
> email address. Please don't spam me!

You don't have to do that --- individual.net's rules for From-headers
are split into two places on their website and many people miss the
second one:

http://blinkynet.net/comp/individual.html

--
Lisp: You shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
which you shoot yourself in the appendage which holds the gun with
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathy in NZ wrote:

> And now I'm in business. I've subscribed, but I had to use my real
> email address. Please don't spam me!

You can set up your newsreader to display a different address.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Adam Funk wrote:

> > And now I'm in business. I've subscribed, but I had to use my real
> > email address. Please don't spam me!

> You don't have to do that --- individual.net's rules for From-headers
> are split into two places on their website and many people miss the
> second one:
>
> http://blinkynet.net/comp/individual.html

Right. I did use the first option, and create a dedicated email account
for usenet.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks enormously! I'm using Motzarella. That's pretty good too but they
just lost rec.food.recipes.

MoM

--
Helen
in
FERGUS/HARLINGEN
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/index.html
"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 May 2007 12:36:08 -0400, "MOMPEAGRAM"
> > wrote:
>
>>And what is the name of this free news server and how do i get it?

> Sure... the name of the site and server is albasani.net . I got a
> response from them pretty quickly. Just go there and click on 'contact
> us' and say 'can I please have a usenet account?' and they shall
> provide.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathy in NZ > wrote:

> And now I'm in business. I've subscribed, but I had to use my real
> email address.

You do not have to. See <http://news.individual.net/faq.php#5.3>.

ObFood: Alexandre Dumas on boiled meat, from his Dictionary of Cuisine.

Victor

Boiled meat. President Hénault, dining at the table with Mme du
Deffand, said that a chicken had been boiled so long, that it was like a
honeycomb with nothing left but the wax, and madame agreed with him.
Boiled meat is just cooked meat without its juice, said Mme de Créqui.
There was an answer to give these illustrious gourmands:
"Have you ever eaten beef or chicken out of the eternal kettle?"
"No!"
"Well, taste it, and you will change your opinion."
"What is an eternal kettle?"
The eternal kettle is or, rather, was, since this illustrious
gastronomic institution has long ceased to function, a receptacle tat
never left the fire, day or night. A chicken was put into it as a
chicken was withdrawn, a piece of beef as a piece taken out, and a glass
of water whenever a cup of broth was removed. Every kind of meat that
cooked in this bouillon gained rather than lost in flavour, for it
inherited the juices that had been left in it by all the meat that
preceded it, and in turn bequeathed some of its own. It was not
necessary to leave meat in the kettle any longer tan it required to
cook. It lost none of its qualities.
Now that the eternal kettle is no more, we must content ourselves
with a big piece of boiled beef.
Use a 12 to 15 pound rump, have it boned, and tie it properly for
serving. Boil it in the bouillon you have made the day before, into
which you will put all the leftover meats from the roasts of the
preceding day - chicken, turkey, rabbit, etc. Serve garnished à la
flamande.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 May 2007 11:23:18 +0100, Adam Funk >
wrote:

>> And now I'm in business. I've subscribed, but I had to use my real
>> email address. Please don't spam me!

>You don't have to do that --- individual.net's rules for From-headers
>are split into two places on their website and many people miss the
>second one:
>
>http://blinkynet.net/comp/individual.html

Thanks very much. I've now done that.

Kathy in NZ