FoodBanter.com

-   -   Freeze or not to freeze fett. alfredo or just sauce (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/122547-freeze-not-freeze-fett.html)

Dee Dee 01-05-2007 05:51 PM

Freeze or not to freeze fett. alfredo or just sauce

I have cream that I want to use to make fettucine alfredo today.

I make my fettucine alfredo thusly;
Cook cream, parm. regg, butter; and then pour over the noodles.

I will be unable to serve this until Friday. Which would be better?

Make the alfredo sauce today and freeze it, thaw it Friday, cook the
noodles, then pour over noodles
OR
Go ahead and cook the noodles and sauce today, mix in the alfredo
sauce, then freeze;unthaw Friday.

What to do!
Thanks,
Dee Dee

Karen AKA Kajikit 01-05-2007 06:12 PM

On 1 May 2007 09:51:58 -0700, Dee Dee > wrote:

>I have cream that I want to use to make fettucine alfredo today.
>
>I make my fettucine alfredo thusly;
>Cook cream, parm. regg, butter; and then pour over the noodles.
>
>I will be unable to serve this until Friday. Which would be better?
>
>Make the alfredo sauce today and freeze it, thaw it Friday, cook the
>noodles, then pour over noodles
>OR
>Go ahead and cook the noodles and sauce today, mix in the alfredo
>sauce, then freeze;unthaw Friday.

I don't think you can freeze a cream sauce without it seperating and
going nasty... why not just leave the cream in the fridge and cook it
on Thursday or Friday?

dtwright37 01-05-2007 08:15 PM

On May 1, 11:51 am, Dee Dee > wrote:

> What to do!
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

Probably not what you want to read, but here goes ...

To make this dish much closer to the original, don't use cream. Cook
the pasta at the last minute, add it to a warm bowl in which you have
put in a bunch of room temperature butter, mix in grated Parmigiano-
Reggiano, maybe a little pasta water, if needed, and serve
immediately. This is not a make-ahead dish.

David

Dimitri 01-05-2007 09:01 PM

Freeze or not to freeze fett. alfredo or just sauce

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have cream that I want to use to make fettucine alfredo today.
>
> I make my fettucine alfredo thusly;
> Cook cream, parm. regg, butter; and then pour over the noodles.
>
> I will be unable to serve this until Friday. Which would be better?
>
> Make the alfredo sauce today and freeze it, thaw it Friday, cook the
> noodles, then pour over noodles
> OR
> Go ahead and cook the noodles and sauce today, mix in the alfredo
> sauce, then freeze;unthaw Friday.
>
> What to do!
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

As many have said, make the sauce fresh. Cream dishes tend to separate when you
freeze them as the liquid and fats solidify (freeze) at different rates.

Getting them to re-emulsify is difficult at best.

Dimitri

notbob 01-05-2007 09:27 PM

On 2007-05-01, Dimitri > wrote:

> Getting them to re-emulsify is difficult at best.

Yep. Besides, why bother. A good Alfedo is to easy to mess around
with a reheated hack.

I just did a fettucini alfredo /w broccoli and summer squash and it
was a cinch. Here's what I did.

In pan:
EvOO
sliced garlic
you know the drill

Fettucini:
cook, drain (save some pasta water), and set aside

Veggies:
broccoli crowns
cut yellow crook-neck squash
" zuke
steam to all-dented and set aside

Assembly:
crank the oil n' garlic back up
add drained pasta and thoroughly coat
add steamed veggies and a bit of pasta water ...stir
add hot pepper flakes (opt)
add a couple pats of real butter
toss in a buncha grated parmesan or pecorino
when butter and cheese melts, add a splash or two of cream
stir, add fresh herbs if desired (parsley, etc), salt, pepper to
taste, and serve on warmed plate.

nb

Felice Friese 01-05-2007 11:13 PM

"dtwright37" > wrote in message Dee Dee

> Probably not what you want to read, but here goes ...
>
> To make this dish much closer to the original, don't use cream. Cook
> the pasta at the last minute, add it to a warm bowl in which you have
> put in a bunch of room temperature butter, mix in grated Parmigiano-
> Reggiano, maybe a little pasta water, if needed, and serve
> immediately. This is not a make-ahead dish.
>
> David

Ah, David, where were you during the Great Alfredo Wars? We could have used
the voice of another Alfredo purist.

Felice

Ms P 01-05-2007 11:20 PM

Freeze or not to freeze fett. alfredo or just sauce

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I have cream that I want to use to make fettucine alfredo today.
>
> I make my fettucine alfredo thusly;
> Cook cream, parm. regg, butter; and then pour over the noodles.
>
> I will be unable to serve this until Friday. Which would be better?
>
> Make the alfredo sauce today and freeze it, thaw it Friday, cook the
> noodles, then pour over noodles
> OR
> Go ahead and cook the noodles and sauce today, mix in the alfredo
> sauce, then freeze;unthaw Friday.
>
> What to do!
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

I definitely wouldn't freeze the noodles. They tend to get mushy. Really
this is one of those things that would take longer to cook from frozen than
it takes to cook fresh.

If the cream will go bad before then freeze it. You can't whip it after
it's been frozen but you can still use it in recipes.

Ms P

Melondy 02-05-2007 12:05 AM

Dee Dee wrote:
> I have cream that I want to use to make fettucine alfredo today.
>
> I make my fettucine alfredo thusly;
> Cook cream, parm. regg, butter; and then pour over the noodles.
>
> I will be unable to serve this until Friday. Which would be better?
>
> Make the alfredo sauce today and freeze it, thaw it Friday, cook the
> noodles, then pour over noodles
> OR
> Go ahead and cook the noodles and sauce today, mix in the alfredo
> sauce, then freeze;unthaw Friday.
>
> What to do!
> Thanks,
> Dee Dee

There is no such thing as Alfredo sauce. It just happens in the pasta
bowl as all parts come together. Why not just make it fresh. It wouldn't
take anymore time. And freezing and thawing cause deterioration. If you
are worried about the cream keeping, cream keeps for ages in the fridge,
way past printed dates.

Melondy

dtwright37 02-05-2007 03:32 AM

On May 1, 5:13 pm, "Felice Friese" > wrote:
> "dtwright37" > wrote in message Dee Dee
>
> > Probably not what you want to read, but here goes ...

> > To make this dish much closer to the original, don't use cream. Cook
> > the pasta at the last minute, add it to a warm bowl in which you have
> > put in a bunch of room temperature butter, mix in grated Parmigiano-
> > Reggiano, maybe a little pasta water, if needed, and serve
> > immediately. This is not a make-ahead dish.

> > David

> Ah, David, where were you during the Great Alfredo Wars? We could have used
> the voice of another Alfredo purist.
>
> Felice

Sorry, Felice. It must have been on one of my breaks from rfc.

David, yours in promoting old-fashioned, non-creamy fettuccine Alfredo