Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default making strawberry ice cream - vanilla extract of vanilla bean?

I would like to make strawberry ice cream with my new cuisinart ice-
cream maker.
It calls for vanilla extract - 1tsp. I am wondering if using real
vanilla bean will make a noticable difference in flavor. If so, what
would be an equivalent amount of vanilla bean for 1tsp of extract.
If there is a high quality vanilla extract that would be just as good,
please recommend one.
Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 30, 3:43 pm, wrote:
> I would like to make strawberry ice cream with my new cuisinart ice-
> cream maker.
> It calls for vanilla extract - 1tsp. I am wondering if using real
> vanilla bean will make a noticable difference in flavor. If so, what
> would be an equivalent amount of vanilla bean for 1tsp of extract.
> If there is a high quality vanilla extract that would be just as good,
> please recommend one.
> Thanks

The bean will make a noticable difference-better! I'd use 1/2 of a
bean, split lengthways, and scrape the insides into your cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I would like to make strawberry ice cream with my new cuisinart ice-
> cream maker.
> It calls for vanilla extract - 1tsp. I am wondering if using real
> vanilla bean will make a noticable difference in flavor. If so, what
> would be an equivalent amount of vanilla bean for 1tsp of extract.
> If there is a high quality vanilla extract that would be just as good,
> please recommend one.
> Thanks

Since you're making strawberry ice cream, I'd use the extract. No sense wasting a
bean when the main flavor isn't vanilla. Use Penzey's, Spice Island, something of
that sort.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" wrote:
> <techman41 wrote:
>
> >I would like to make strawberry ice cream with my new cuisinart ice-
> > cream maker.
> > It calls for vanilla extract - 1tsp. I am wondering if using real
> > vanilla bean will make a noticable difference in flavor. If so, what
> > would be an equivalent amount of vanilla bean for 1tsp of extract.
> > If there is a high quality vanilla extract that would be just as good,
> > please recommend one.
> > Thanks

> Since you're making strawberry ice cream, I'd use the extract. No sense wasting a
> bean when the main flavor isn't vanilla. Use Penzey's, Spice Island, something of
> that sort.

Huh? I wouldn't use any vanilla in strawberry ice cream, no eggs
either... why does everyone want to fercockt good fresh strawberries
and cream???
http://frenchfood.about.com/od/desse...strawglace.htm

I don't want any strawberries in my vanilla ice cream either.

Folks truly have taste in ass disease.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 30, 8:48 pm, "Nexis" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> >I would like to make strawberry ice cream with my new cuisinart ice-
> > cream maker.
> > It calls for vanilla extract - 1tsp. I am wondering if using real
> > vanilla bean will make a noticable difference in flavor. If so, what
> > would be an equivalent amount of vanilla bean for 1tsp of extract.
> > If there is a high quality vanilla extract that would be just as good,
> > please recommend one.
> > Thanks

> Since you're making strawberry ice cream, I'd use the extract. No sense wasting a
> bean when the main flavor isn't vanilla. Use Penzey's, Spice Island, something of
> that sort.
>
> kimberly

If your strawberries are juicy, mash some (your choice as to the
amount) and put them in the cream/milk mixture while heating.

I've found that extracts that are artificial are very chemical
tasting. I've only seen a few that aren't artificial; i.e., lemon,
orange, almond, anise. As to using vanilla extract with strawberry,
depending on your own tastes, it may enhance the flavor. But I would
use a good vanilla extract (Madagascar?). I bought 10 extracts when I
bought the Cuisinart ice cream maker; basically I'm down to just a few
that I use now.

BTW the Cuisinart recipes are for 3 cups of liquid/milk, so if I'm
adding a lot of strawberries, think about the ultimate volume you will
have to churn.

About 2 weeks ago I made strawberry ice cream using cream/milk
mixture. I made it without eggs. Even using 2 cups cream to 1 cup
whole milk, it tasted a bit icey. I haven't made the strawberry using
eggs. It certainly would be creamier using eggs, if creaminess is
what you're after.

Good luck.
Dee Dee