FoodBanter.com

-   -   What's the most creative thing you do to save money on your grocery bill? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/122439-whats-most-creative-thing.html)

Barry 30-04-2007 11:20 AM

What's the most creative thing you do to save money on your grocery bill?

Is this a tough question or what!

I found it while banging around Rachel Rays web-site.

I submitted my answer to this sweepstakes question. My answer was, I
get my coupons from the internet. This saves me time. I can search for
only the products I use (that's a lie, you still have to thumb through
sheets of stuff you don't buy) It gives me access to coupons you won't
find in magazines and newspapers.

I filled out the form, spent 20 mins constructing my answer, I hit the
submit button and all I got was a big 404 error page. grrrrr... I hit
the back button and all of my work was gone.

What is wrong with these people!

[email protected] 30-04-2007 09:41 PM

On 30 Apr, 11:20, Barry > wrote:
> Is this a tough question or what!
>
> I found it while banging around Rachel Rays web-site.
>
> I submitted my answer to this sweepstakes question. My answer was, I
> get my coupons from the internet. This saves me time. I can search for
> only the products I use (that's a lie, you still have to thumb through
> sheets of stuff you don't buy) It gives me access to coupons you won't
> find in magazines and newspapers.
>
> I filled out the form, spent 20 mins constructing my answer, I hit the
> submit button and all I got was a big 404 error page. grrrrr... I hit
> the back button and all of my work was gone.
>
> What is wrong with these people!

My solution to saving money on the grocery bill is that I send my kids
to the supermarket(with a list) instead of going myself.

Ravenlynne 01-05-2007 03:31 PM

wrote:
> On 30 Apr, 11:20, Barry > wrote:
>> Is this a tough question or what!
>>
>> I found it while banging around Rachel Rays web-site.
>>
>> I submitted my answer to this sweepstakes question. My answer was, I
>> get my coupons from the internet. This saves me time. I can search for
>> only the products I use (that's a lie, you still have to thumb through
>> sheets of stuff you don't buy) It gives me access to coupons you won't
>> find in magazines and newspapers.
>>
>> I filled out the form, spent 20 mins constructing my answer, I hit the
>> submit button and all I got was a big 404 error page. grrrrr... I hit
>> the back button and all of my work was gone.
>>
>> What is wrong with these people!

> My solution to saving money on the grocery bill is that I send my kids
> to the supermarket(with a list) instead of going myself.

That works with my husband also..he won't buy one more thing than what
I've written down.

--
"I'm thinking that if this dilemma grows any more horns, I'm going to
shoot it and put it up on the wall."

- Harry Dresden

dtwright37 01-05-2007 06:46 PM

On Apr 30, 5:20 am, Barry > wrote:
> Is this a tough question or what!
>
> I found it while banging around Rachel Rays web-site.
>
> I submitted my answer to this sweepstakes question. My answer was, I
> get my coupons from the internet.

Our creative thing is to avoid the kinds of products that are likely
to have coupons (well, except for the occasional TP coupon.) We shop
mostly the outer edges of the sto produce, fresh meat and seafood,
and dairy.

We dip into the rows for rice, beans, flour and dry pasta, but don't
buy enough of the other stuff to make coupons worthwhile.

We're lucky, though, because I'm at home all day, don't have much I
have to do for daily work, and love to cook from scratch.

BTW, "banging around Rachel Ray's" *anything* gives me pause. :-)

David

Barry 09-05-2007 04:16 AM

On May 1, 10:31 am, ravenlynne > wrote:

> That works with my husband also..he won't buy one more thing than what
> I've written down.

what happens if he buys plenty more than is on the list?

cybercat 09-05-2007 11:59 AM

What's the most creative thing you do to save money on your grocery bill?

"Barry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On May 1, 10:31 am, ravenlynne > wrote:
>
>> That works with my husband also..he won't buy one more thing than what
>> I've written down.

> what happens if he buys plenty more than is on the list?

What's for breakfast?

[email protected] 09-05-2007 12:45 PM

What's the most creative thing you do to save money on your grocery bill?

Back in my college/grad school days and while being unemployed, we'd
eat roadkill. Fresh roadkill, though. No skunks, though.

Ted

salgud 09-05-2007 02:49 PM

On Apr 30, 4:20 am, Barry > wrote:
> Is this a tough question or what!

I don't find it tough at all. The most creative thing I do,
particularly when money is tight, is to allow myself one "luxury" item
each week. That way, I spend less, but don't feel so deprived.

Barry 09-05-2007 06:44 PM

On May 9, 6:59 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Barry" > wrote in message

> What's for breakfast?

muffins dripping with hot honey, I can't keep the beez away

cybercat 10-05-2007 01:08 AM

What's the most creative thing you do to save money on your grocery bill?

"Barry" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On May 9, 6:59 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Barry" > wrote in message

>> What's for breakfast?
>>
>> --

> muffins dripping with hot honey, I can't keep the beez away

Oh, look, there's a little one that's all sticky, buzzing around in his pool
of honey

Terry Pulliam Burd[_1_] 10-05-2007 03:25 AM

What's the most creative thing you do to save money on your grocery bill?

On 9 May 2007 04:45:48 -0700, rummaged among random
neurons and opined:

>Back in my college/grad school days and while being unemployed, we'd
>eat roadkill. Fresh roadkill, though. No skunks, though.

I lived on Top Ramen in college. Would have starved to death
otherwise.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines

Barry 10-05-2007 03:43 AM

On May 9, 7:45 am, wrote:
> Back in my college/grad school days and while being unemployed, we'd
> eat roadkill. Fresh roadkill, though. No skunks, though.
>
> Ted

you's were lucky you didn't get hit by a car

No Name 10-05-2007 04:10 AM

What's the most creative thing you do to save money on your grocery bill?

I only buy sale items to stock the pantry.
Then, I do meal planning from the pantry stock.

Not alot you can do about fresh veggies/deli items.
Tho, when asparagus was .99/bunch, I bought
bagfuls and blanched/froze them.

<rj>

[email protected] 10-05-2007 11:16 AM

On May 9, 10:43 pm, Barry > wrote:
> On May 9, 7:45 am, wrote:
>
> > Back in my college/grad school days and while being unemployed, we'd
> > eat roadkill. Fresh roadkill, though. No skunks, though.

> > Ted

> you's were lucky you didn't get hit by a car

Q: How many Aggies does it take to eat an armadillo?

A: Three. Two to look both ways......

T.

Andy[_2_] 10-05-2007 01:45 PM

What's the most creative thing you do to save money on your grocery bill?

said...

> Back in my college/grad school days and while being unemployed, we'd
> eat roadkill. Fresh roadkill, though. No skunks, though.
>
> Ted

Have you tried walking out backwards with a cart full of groceries, in the
style of Abbott and Costello? Only they were walking IN backwards.

Andy

Barry 10-05-2007 03:39 PM

On May 9, 9:49 am, salgud > wrote:
> On Apr 30, 4:20 am, Barry > wrote:
>
> > Is this a tough question or what!

> I don't find it tough at all. The most creative thing I do,
> particularly when money is tight, is to allow myself one "luxury" item
> each week. That way, I spend less, but don't feel so deprived.

Good idea.. maybe you should check out this weeks contest

http://www.rachaelraymag.com/submitRealCooks.do
says.. "what do you do to live green"
bah! lol..

about one luxury item (beating you over the head with a pillow)

"WE COULDA HAD AN EXTRA PACK OF HOTDOGS and beans FOR THE PRICE OF
THAT"

serene 15-05-2007 07:15 AM

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> On 9 May 2007 04:45:48 -0700, rummaged among random
> neurons and opined:
>
>> Back in my college/grad school days and while being unemployed, we'd
>> eat roadkill. Fresh roadkill, though. No skunks, though.

> I lived on Top Ramen in college. Would have starved to death
> otherwise.

What I did in college was to (a) work in the school cafeteria so I
got one free meal a day, and (b) buy my food a day at a time so
nothing went bad and I could eat just what I could afford that day.

Serehe