Old 28-04-2007, 07:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to use coffee ground too fine?

I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
like powder.

Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
a French Press. That didn't work very well.

Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.

What do you recommend? Thanks,

Bob

Old 28-04-2007, 08:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:13:38 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
like powder.

Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
a French Press. That didn't work very well.

Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.

What do you recommend? Thanks,

Just use an ordinary drip coffee pot with a paper filter. There is no
such thing as coffee that has been ground too fine. I use the finest
grind (turkish) for my every day coffee. You may have to reduce the
amount of coffee grounds per brewed cup to get it to your taste, but
that's easy enough to do.

--
See return address to reply by email
Old 28-04-2007, 08:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
like powder.

Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
a French Press. That didn't work very well.

Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.

What do you recommend? Thanks,

Bob

My first thought was "centrifuge." Second thought (more practical for
the home), filter paper.

Wouldn't a paper coffee filter work? The French press has larger
mesh. Maybe cut a disk of filter the size of the press plunger.

Or you could let the grounds settle, decant the liquid using a
stirring rod, then reheat.

Sue(tm)
Old 28-04-2007, 08:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
like powder.

Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
a French Press. That didn't work very well.

Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.

What do you recommend? Thanks,

Bob

My first thought was "centrifuge." Second thought (more practical for
the home), filter paper.

Wouldn't a paper coffee filter work? The French press has larger
mesh. Maybe cut a disk of filter the size of the press plunger.

Or you could let the grounds settle, decant the liquid using a
stirring rod, then reheat.

Sue(tm)

I don't have any paper filters. I'll bring a couple home from work and
try it next week.

Bob
Old 28-04-2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
like powder.

Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
a French Press. That didn't work very well.

Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.

What do you recommend? Thanks,

First, don't use boiling water. Use water off the boil. Then let the
powder steep until it sinks and then decant the clear coffee. It's how
coffee was always made before we invented gadgetry.

You can also sprinkle it on vanilla ice cream. It's pretty good that way.

Paul

Old 28-04-2007, 08:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

Curly Sue wrote:

Wouldn't a paper coffee filter work?

I don't have any paper filters. I'll bring a couple home from work and
try it next week.

Wow that's really going to lengths to find a solution to your
problem.

Steve
Old 28-04-2007, 09:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
like powder.

Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
a French Press. That didn't work very well.

Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.

What do you recommend? Thanks,

A drip machine with a paper filter.
Old 28-04-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

I don't have any paper filters. I'll bring a couple home
from work and try it next week.

Paper towels work, in a pinch. At least, the ones I buy.
Your mileage may vary.

Old 28-04-2007, 10:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
like powder.

Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
a French Press. That didn't work very well.

Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.

What do you recommend? Thanks,

Bob

I mix it with regular grind coffee.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey

Old 28-04-2007, 11:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
zxcvbob wrote:

Curly Sue wrote:

Wouldn't a paper coffee filter work?

I don't have any paper filters. I'll bring a couple home from work and
try it next week.

Wow that's really going to lengths to find a solution to your
problem.

Steve

???

The filters at work belong to me. I took them in for the coffee coop to
use.

Bob
Old 28-04-2007, 11:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine
almost like powder.

What do you recommend? Thanks,

Bob

When I ordered from Gevalia the coffee was always very finely ground. I
just used it my regular drip coffee maker with a paper filter, as others
have suggested.

Jill

Old 29-04-2007, 03:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
like powder.

Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
a French Press. That didn't work very well.

Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.

What do you recommend? Thanks,

Bob

I use espresso grind coffee in my Senseo machine with regular paper filters.
The powder grind makes very strong coffee for such a small amount used.

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old 29-04-2007, 09:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's. It looks like
normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost like powder.

Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with a French
Press. That didn't work very well.

Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.

What do you recommend? Thanks,

Bob

Well, as you discovered, the best bet would be espresso. You could also add it to
melted chocolate, and use that for ice cream topping or to make chocolate shavings
for ice cream or gelato.

kimberly

Old 30-04-2007, 01:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" wrote in message

"zxcvbob" wrote in message
I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's. It
looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost like
powder.

Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
a French Press. That didn't work very well.

Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.

What do you recommend? Thanks,

Bob

Well, as you discovered, the best bet would be espresso. You could also
add it to melted chocolate, and use that for ice cream topping or to make
chocolate shavings for ice cream or gelato.

kimberly

It will also work OK in an automatic drip coffemaker (melito, Krups, etc)
with a paper filter. I grind my coffee beans to a fine powder and use them
in my krups every day.

Jon

Jon