Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to use coffee ground too fine?

I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
like powder.

Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
a French Press. That didn't work very well.

Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.

What do you recommend? Thanks,

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:13:38 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
>It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
>like powder.
>
>Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
>a French Press. That didn't work very well.
>
>Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.
>
>What do you recommend? Thanks,

Just use an ordinary drip coffee pot with a paper filter. There is no
such thing as coffee that has been ground too fine. I use the finest
grind (turkish) for my every day coffee. You may have to reduce the
amount of coffee grounds per brewed cup to get it to your taste, but
that's easy enough to do.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
>It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
>like powder.
>
>Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
>a French Press. That didn't work very well.
>
>Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.
>
>What do you recommend? Thanks,
>
>Bob

My first thought was "centrifuge." Second thought (more practical for
the home), filter paper.

Wouldn't a paper coffee filter work? The French press has larger
mesh. Maybe cut a disk of filter the size of the press plunger.

Or you could let the grounds settle, decant the liquid using a
stirring rod, then reheat.

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curly Sue wrote:
> On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 13:13:38 -0500, zxcvbob >
> wrote:
>
>> I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
>> It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
>> like powder.
>>
>> Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
>> a French Press. That didn't work very well.
>>
>> Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.
>>
>> What do you recommend? Thanks,
>>
>> Bob

> My first thought was "centrifuge." Second thought (more practical for
> the home), filter paper.
>
> Wouldn't a paper coffee filter work? The French press has larger
> mesh. Maybe cut a disk of filter the size of the press plunger.
>
> Or you could let the grounds settle, decant the liquid using a
> stirring rod, then reheat.
>
> Sue(tm)
> Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

I don't have any paper filters. I'll bring a couple home from work and
try it next week.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
> It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
> like powder.
>
> Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
> a French Press. That didn't work very well.
>
> Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.
>
> What do you recommend? Thanks,

First, don't use boiling water. Use water off the boil. Then let the
powder steep until it sinks and then decant the clear coffee. It's how
coffee was always made before we invented gadgetry.

You can also sprinkle it on vanilla ice cream. It's pretty good that way.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob > wrote:

>Curly Sue wrote:

>> Wouldn't a paper coffee filter work?

>I don't have any paper filters. I'll bring a couple home from work and
>try it next week.

Wow that's really going to lengths to find a solution to your
problem.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
> It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
> like powder.
>
> Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
> a French Press. That didn't work very well.
>
> Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.
>
> What do you recommend? Thanks,

A drip machine with a paper filter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> I don't have any paper filters. I'll bring a couple home
> from work and try it next week.

Paper towels work, in a pinch. At least, the ones I buy.
Your mileage may vary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> >> What do you recommend? Thanks,
> >>
> >> Bob

> > My first thought was "centrifuge." Second thought (more practical for
> > the home), filter paper.
> >
> > Wouldn't a paper coffee filter work? The French press has larger
> > mesh. Maybe cut a disk of filter the size of the press plunger.
> >
> > Or you could let the grounds settle, decant the liquid using a
> > stirring rod, then reheat.
> >
> > Sue(tm)
> > Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!

> I don't have any paper filters. I'll bring a couple home from work and
> try it next week.

Use a paper towel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
> It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
> like powder.
>
> Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
> a French Press. That didn't work very well.
>
> Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.
>
> What do you recommend? Thanks,
>
> Bob

I mix it with regular grind coffee.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog - Orange Honey

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> Curly Sue wrote:

>>> Wouldn't a paper coffee filter work?

>> I don't have any paper filters. I'll bring a couple home from work and
>> try it next week.

> Wow that's really going to lengths to find a solution to your
> problem.
>
> Steve

???

The filters at work belong to me. I took them in for the coffee coop to
use.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:
> I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
> It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine
> almost like powder.
>
> What do you recommend? Thanks,
>
> Bob

When I ordered from Gevalia the coffee was always very finely ground. I
just used it my regular drip coffee maker with a paper filter, as others
have suggested.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
> > I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
> > It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
> > like powder.
> >
> > Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
> > a French Press. That didn't work very well.
> >
> > Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.
> >
> > What do you recommend? Thanks,
> >
> > Bob

I use espresso grind coffee in my Senseo machine with regular paper filters.
The powder grind makes very strong coffee for such a small amount used.

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's. It looks like
>normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost like powder.
>
> Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with a French
> Press. That didn't work very well.
>
> Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.
>
> What do you recommend? Thanks,
>
> Bob

Well, as you discovered, the best bet would be espresso. You could also add it to
melted chocolate, and use that for ice cream topping or to make chocolate shavings
for ice cream or gelato.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's. It
>>looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost like
>>powder.
>>
>> Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
>> a French Press. That didn't work very well.
>>
>> Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.
>>
>> What do you recommend? Thanks,
>>
>> Bob
>>

> Well, as you discovered, the best bet would be espresso. You could also
> add it to melted chocolate, and use that for ice cream topping or to make
> chocolate shavings for ice cream or gelato.
>
> kimberly

It will also work OK in an automatic drip coffemaker (melito, Krups, etc)
with a paper filter. I grind my coffee beans to a fine powder and use them
in my krups every day.

Jon

Jon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sd sd is offline

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> I bought a bag of "German Roast Coffee" (whatever that is) at Aldi's.
> It looks like normal medium-roasted coffee, but it's ground fine almost
> like powder.
>
> Last weekend I boiled it briefly in a saucepan and then filtered it with
> a French Press. That didn't work very well.
>
> Today I tried using it in an Espresso maker. That seems to be better.
>
> What do you recommend? Thanks,

I bought a package of that coffee a couple of months ago. It's
nothing like the Jacobs and Tschibo coffees I've bought in the past
-- really weak unless you use a lot, in which case it's just bitter.
I ended up combining it with a first-class local Italian-roast
coffee (ground normally for my automatic drip coffeemaker) and it
was drinkable till it was gone.

sd
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:33:16 -0500, sd > wrote:

>I ended up combining it with a first-class local Italian-roast
>coffee (ground normally for my automatic drip coffeemaker) and it
>was drinkable till it was gone.

I like strong coffee, but Italian roast is too much for me.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

>I like strong coffee, but Italian roast is too much for me.

My experience is that if a roast is not reasonably dark,
it's not possible to brew it strong without it tasting
(to me) lousy.

"Reasonably dark" does not need to mean all the way to dark
Italian... most of Blue Bottle's roasts would qualify as
medium, but still can be brewed very strong and/or used
in an espresso machine.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 21:31:10 -0700, sf wrote:

>I'm not familiar with Blue Bottle. Is that a local roaster (EastBay)?

Yes, they are based in the east bay. They also sell at various
farmers markets, and they do have a website.
Supposed to be some of the best coffee around.

http://www.bluebottlecoffee.net/

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

>>"Reasonably dark" does not need to mean all the way to dark
>>Italian... most of Blue Bottle's roasts would qualify as
>>medium, but still can be brewed very strong and/or used
>>in an espresso machine.

>I'm not familiar with Blue Bottle. Is that a local roaster (EastBay)?

Yes, they roast in Oakland, have a kiosk at 315 Linden St. in
SF, and sell at the Tuesday and Saturday Berkeley farmer's markets.
blubottlecoffee.net . Of the products we've tried, we like
Espresso Temescal the best, but Giant Steps (a lighter roast)
is also excellent.

Since last year they have nabbed Chez Panisse's account.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

That ultra-fine grind is for Turkish Coffee.

Here is the way to do it. Start with a small, narrow container.

For each cup of coffee to make, put 1 Tablespoon of Coffee and 1 Teaspoon of
sugar.
Add the cup of water.

Place over a medium heat until is starts to boil. It will Foam up quickly.
Remove it Immediatly when it starts to foam.
Set it aside for a few seconds till the foam settles. Put it back on the
fire till it foams a second time and remove quickly.

Pour into the cups.

Let set in the cups for 2-3 minutes. The traditional way is to serve it
immediatly and the guests allow it to settle.

Drink about 3/4 of the cup and leave the remaining 1/4 with the grounds in
the bottom of the cup.

Enjoy.