FoodBanter.com

-   -   Mouldy Cheese (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/122188-mouldy-cheese.html)

[email protected] 26-04-2007 06:02 PM

Mouldy Cheese

Last time I had a nice dinner party, a guest brought some cheese as a
"Gift". I already had a fruit and cheese plate nicely arraged, so I asked
her to just put it in the fridge.

Well last night I found the cheeze. It said Cammenbeart on the label, and
it was FULL of mould!

I guess I should throw it out. I tried to scrape off the mould, but it
was all in the crevices.

Dave Smith[_2_] 26-04-2007 06:15 PM

Mouldy Cheese

wrote:

> Last time I had a nice dinner party, a guest brought some cheese as a
> "Gift". I already had a fruit and cheese plate nicely arraged, so I asked
> her to just put it in the fridge.
>
> Well last night I found the cheeze. It said Cammenbeart on the label, and
> it was FULL of mould!
>
> I guess I should throw it out. I tried to scrape off the mould, but it
> was all in the crevices.

You should save it for the next time you are invited to the house of the
person who brought it to you and re-gift. You can tell them how much you
enjoyed the one they gave you and thought you should return the favour.

Karen AKA Kajikit 26-04-2007 08:11 PM

Mouldy Cheese

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:02:22 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

>Last time I had a nice dinner party, a guest brought some cheese as a
>"Gift". I already had a fruit and cheese plate nicely arraged, so I asked
>her to just put it in the fridge.
>
>Well last night I found the cheeze. It said Cammenbeart on the label, and
>it was FULL of mould!
>
>I guess I should throw it out. I tried to scrape off the mould, but it
>was all in the crevices.

White mould? It's supposed to be there. The only problem is if green
or black stuff had taken up residence. If you don't like the outside
of the camembert, you can kind of peel it off and just eat the gooey
stuff inside.

Puester 26-04-2007 10:23 PM

Mouldy Cheese

Dave Smith wrote:
> wrote:
>> Last time I had a nice dinner party, a guest brought some cheese as a
>> "Gift". I already had a fruit and cheese plate nicely arraged, so I asked
>> her to just put it in the fridge.
>>
>> Well last night I found the cheeze. It said Cammenbeart on the label, and
>> it was FULL of mould!
>>
>> I guess I should throw it out. I tried to scrape off the mould, but it
>> was all in the crevices.

> You should save it for the next time you are invited to the house of the
> person who brought it to you and re-gift. You can tell them how much you
> enjoyed the one they gave you and thought you should return the favour.

Except that Chef didn't tell us how long ago he had that dinner party.
It could have been a week or a year!

gloria p

Gregory Morrow[_30_] 26-04-2007 10:28 PM

Mouldy Cheese

> wrote:

> I tried to scrape off the mould, but it
> was all in the crevices.

Heh, have you met "cybercat" yet...???

--
Best
Greg

Sheldon 26-04-2007 10:47 PM

Mouldy Cheese

On Apr 26, 1:15�pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Last time I had a nice dinner party, a guest brought some cheese as a
> > "Gift". I already had a fruit and cheese plate nicely arraged, so I asked
> > her to just put it in the fridge.

> > Well last night I found the cheeze. *It said Cammenbeart on the label, and
> > it was FULL of mould!

> > I guess I should throw it out. *I tried to scrape off the mould, but it
> > was all in the crevices.

> You should save it for the next time you are invited to the house of the
> person who brought it to you and re-gift. You can tell them how much you
> enjoyed the one they gave you and thought you should return the favour.

That mould is perfectly edible, in fact it's the best part...
camenbert has a thick ivory colored rind, similar to brie.

Camembert cheese [KAM-uhm-behr]
Napoleon is said to have christened this cheese with the appellation
"Camembert," naming it after the Norman village where a farmer's wife
first served it to him. Now world famous, this cow's-milk cheese has a
white, downy rind and a smooth, creamy interior. When perfectly ripe,
the cheese should ooze thickly. When overripe, it becomes runny,
bitter and rank. Choose Camembert that is plump and soft to the touch.
Avoid those with hardened edges, which may forecast overripeness.

� Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

sf[_3_] 27-04-2007 06:41 AM

Mouldy Cheese

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007 17:02:22 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

>Last time I had a nice dinner party, a guest brought some cheese as a
>"Gift". I already had a fruit and cheese plate nicely arraged, so I asked
>her to just put it in the fridge.
>
>Well last night I found the cheeze. It said Cammenbeart on the label, and
>it was FULL of mould!
>
>I guess I should throw it out. I tried to scrape off the mould, but it
>was all in the crevices.

Try again. Camembert doesn't have crevices. It's a soft cheese, like
brie.

--
See return address to reply by email

Kswck 27-04-2007 10:58 AM

Mouldy Cheese

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 26, 1:15?pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Last time I had a nice dinner party, a guest brought some cheese as a
> > "Gift". I already had a fruit and cheese plate nicely arraged, so I
> > asked
> > her to just put it in the fridge.

> > Well last night I found the cheeze. It said Cammenbeart on the label,
> > and
> > it was FULL of mould!

> > I guess I should throw it out. I tried to scrape off the mould, but it
> > was all in the crevices.

> You should save it for the next time you are invited to the house of the
> person who brought it to you and re-gift. You can tell them how much you
> enjoyed the one they gave you and thought you should return the favour.

That mould is perfectly edible, in fact it's the best part...
camenbert has a thick ivory colored rind, similar to brie.

Camembert cheese [KAM-uhm-behr]
Napoleon is said to have christened this cheese with the appellation
"Camembert," naming it after the Norman village where a farmer's wife
first served it to him. Now world famous, this cow's-milk cheese has a
white, downy rind and a smooth, creamy interior. When perfectly ripe,
the cheese should ooze thickly. When overripe, it becomes runny,
bitter and rank. Choose Camembert that is plump and soft to the touch.
Avoid those with hardened edges, which may forecast overripeness.

? Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Sheldon: Where do you find this online? I have the printed FLC, but I cannot
find it online.

Sheldon 27-04-2007 01:05 PM

Mouldy Cheese

On Apr 27, 5:58�am, "Kswck" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
> On Apr 26, 1:15?pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>

> > wrote:

> > > Last time I had a nice dinner party, a guest brought some cheese as a
> > > "Gift". I already had a fruit and cheese plate nicely arraged, so I
> > > asked
> > > her to just put it in the fridge.

> > > Well last night I found the cheeze. It said Cammenbeart on the label,
> > > and
> > > it was FULL of mould!

> > > I guess I should throw it out. I tried to scrape off the mould, but it
> > > was all in the crevices.

> > You should save it for the next time you are invited to the house of the
> > person who brought it to you and re-gift. You can tell them how much you
> > enjoyed the one they gave you and thought you should return the favour.

> That mould is perfectly edible, in fact it's the best part...
> camenbert has a thick ivory colored rind, similar to brie.
>
> Camembert cheese *[KAM-uhm-behr]
> Napoleon is said to have christened this cheese with the appellation
> "Camembert," naming it after the Norman village where a farmer's wife
> first served it to him. Now world famous, this cow's-milk cheese has a
> white, downy rind and a smooth, creamy interior. When perfectly ripe,
> the cheese should ooze thickly. When overripe, it becomes runny,
> bitter and rank. Choose Camembert that is plump and soft to the touch.
> Avoid those with hardened edges, which may forecast overripeness.
>
> ? Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
>
> Sheldon: Where do you find this online? I have the printed FLC, but I cannot
> find it online

Epicurious.com etal.

WTF is "FLC"?

Sheldon

jmcquown 27-04-2007 06:19 PM

Mouldy Cheese

Sheldon wrote:
> On Apr 27, 5:58?am, "Kswck" > wrote:
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...
>> On Apr 26, 1:15?pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>>
>> ? Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE
>> FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
>>
>> Sheldon: Where do you find this online? I have the printed FLC, but
>> I cannot find it online

> Epicurious.com etal.
>
> WTF is "FLC"?
>
> Sheldon

Food Lover's Companion

Jill

Kswck 27-04-2007 08:37 PM

Mouldy Cheese

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 27, 5:58?am, "Kswck" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
> On Apr 26, 1:15?pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>

> > wrote:

> > > Last time I had a nice dinner party, a guest brought some cheese as a
> > > "Gift". I already had a fruit and cheese plate nicely arraged, so I
> > > asked
> > > her to just put it in the fridge.

> > > Well last night I found the cheeze. It said Cammenbeart on the label,
> > > and
> > > it was FULL of mould!

> > > I guess I should throw it out. I tried to scrape off the mould, but it
> > > was all in the crevices.

> > You should save it for the next time you are invited to the house of the
> > person who brought it to you and re-gift. You can tell them how much you
> > enjoyed the one they gave you and thought you should return the favour.

> That mould is perfectly edible, in fact it's the best part...
> camenbert has a thick ivory colored rind, similar to brie.
>
> Camembert cheese [KAM-uhm-behr]
> Napoleon is said to have christened this cheese with the appellation
> "Camembert," naming it after the Norman village where a farmer's wife
> first served it to him. Now world famous, this cow's-milk cheese has a
> white, downy rind and a smooth, creamy interior. When perfectly ripe,
> the cheese should ooze thickly. When overripe, it becomes runny,
> bitter and rank. Choose Camembert that is plump and soft to the touch.
> Avoid those with hardened edges, which may forecast overripeness.
>
> ? Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
>
> Sheldon: Where do you find this online? I have the printed FLC, but I
> cannot
> find it online

Epicurious.com etal.

WTF is "FLC"?

Sheldon

Food Lovers Companion

Kswck 27-04-2007 08:48 PM

Mouldy Cheese

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Sheldon wrote:
>> On Apr 27, 5:58?am, "Kswck" > wrote:
>>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> oups.com...
>>> On Apr 26, 1:15?pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>>>
>>> ? Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE
>>> FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
>>>
>>> Sheldon: Where do you find this online? I have the printed FLC, but
>>> I cannot find it online

>> Epicurious.com etal.
>>
>> WTF is "FLC"?
>>
>> Sheldon

> Food Lover's Companion
>
> Jill

yup

Jerry Sauk 28-04-2007 08:28 AM

Mouldy Cheese

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 26, 1:15?pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > Last time I had a nice dinner party, a guest brought some cheese as a
> > "Gift". I already had a fruit and cheese plate nicely arraged, so I

asked
> > her to just put it in the fridge.

> > Well last night I found the cheeze. It said Cammenbeart on the label,

and
> > it was FULL of mould!

> > I guess I should throw it out. I tried to scrape off the mould, but it
> > was all in the crevices.

> You should save it for the next time you are invited to the house of the
> person who brought it to you and re-gift. You can tell them how much you
> enjoyed the one they gave you and thought you should return the favour.

That mould is perfectly edible, in fact it's the best part...
camenbert has a thick ivory colored rind, similar to brie.

Camembert cheese [KAM-uhm-behr]
Napoleon is said to have christened this cheese with the appellation
"Camembert," naming it after the Norman village where a farmer's wife
first served it to him. Now world famous, this cow's-milk cheese has a
white, downy rind and a smooth, creamy interior. When perfectly ripe,
the cheese should ooze thickly. When overripe, it becomes runny,
bitter and rank. Choose Camembert that is plump and soft to the touch.
Avoid those with hardened edges, which may forecast overripeness.

? Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

What about if you have plain regular cheddar that you left if the fridge to
long and it gets moldy.... is that cheese/mold still edible?

Peace,

Jerry

kilikini 29-04-2007 12:40 PM

Mouldy Cheese

Jerry Sauk wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> On Apr 26, 1:15?pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Last time I had a nice dinner party, a guest brought some cheese as
>>> a "Gift". I already had a fruit and cheese plate nicely arraged, so
>>> I asked her to just put it in the fridge.

>>> Well last night I found the cheeze. It said Cammenbeart on the
>>> label, and it was FULL of mould!

>>> I guess I should throw it out. I tried to scrape off the mould, but
>>> it was all in the crevices.

>> You should save it for the next time you are invited to the house of
>> the person who brought it to you and re-gift. You can tell them how
>> much you enjoyed the one they gave you and thought you should return
>> the favour.

> That mould is perfectly edible, in fact it's the best part...
> camenbert has a thick ivory colored rind, similar to brie.
>
> Camembert cheese [KAM-uhm-behr]
> Napoleon is said to have christened this cheese with the appellation
> "Camembert," naming it after the Norman village where a farmer's wife
> first served it to him. Now world famous, this cow's-milk cheese has a
> white, downy rind and a smooth, creamy interior. When perfectly ripe,
> the cheese should ooze thickly. When overripe, it becomes runny,
> bitter and rank. Choose Camembert that is plump and soft to the touch.
> Avoid those with hardened edges, which may forecast overripeness.
>
> ? Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
>

> What about if you have plain regular cheddar that you left if the
> fridge to long and it gets moldy.... is that cheese/mold still
> edible?
>
> Peace,
>
> Jerry

I'd eat it, but I'd trim off the mold first. Been there, done that. :~)

kili