Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Why do we still use chopsticks?

Steve Pope wrote:
> Nancy Young > wrote:
>
>> Heh, I actually stopped for a slice at one of the local places
>> last weekend. Next to me sat two women eating their slice
>> with knife and fork. I ate my pizza the way you're supposed to,
>> fold in half, eat starting at the pointy end. I thought to myself,
>> I bet they think they're classy or something, the weirdos.

> You should know by now it's geographical. New Yorkers (prominently)
> and a scattering of other Americans eat pizza the way you do,
> by folding the slice axially. Other Americans try to hold a
> slice level, without folding. Europeans use a knife and fork on
> a pizza that is not sliced beforehand.
>
> I bet there's places in Asia where pizza is sliced into byte-sized
> bits by the chef and then eaten with chopsticks, but I'm just
> guessing.
>
> Steve

I never knew or had ever seen the fold it up and eat it way until we
moved to New York. It works very well with the pizza out here. We always
ate pizza holding it flat and kind of perched on the tips of our fingers
but then again, usually the pieces were cut into small slices and not
foldable by any means. If you ordered some of the really large pizzas,
the thin slices didn't have much 'hold' power and you'd have to use a
fork just to eat the tip down some and THEN you could lift it off the
plate.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melondy" > wrote

> I never knew or had ever seen the fold it up and eat it way until we
> moved to New York. It works very well with the pizza out here. We always
> ate pizza holding it flat and kind of perched on the tips of our fingers
> but then again, usually the pieces were cut into small slices and not
> foldable by any means.

Sounds like Domino's.

>If you ordered some of the really large pizzas, the thin slices didn't have
>much 'hold' power and you'd have to use a fork just to eat the tip down
>some and THEN you could lift it off the plate.

I either just hold up the tip for as long as it takes to bite it
off, or just fold it back over the slice. Usually not a problem.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Phred" > wrote in message
> [I can sympathise with the fish problem. Forty years ago I was on an
> Italian liner and one night the midnight snack in the stern bar was an
> "English night". They served fish'n'chips and it was just plain
> *awful*. (And not even wrapped in _The Times_. ;-) I don't know if
> globalisation has improved things, but back then the Italians had no
> idea how to prepare proper fish'n'chips.]
>
> Cheers, Phred.

Probably tasted like the Italian pasta I was served on a British Airways
flight. At least the wine was free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Melondy" > wrote
>
>> I never knew or had ever seen the fold it up and eat it way until we
>> moved to New York. It works very well with the pizza out here. We always
>> ate pizza holding it flat and kind of perched on the tips of our fingers
>> but then again, usually the pieces were cut into small slices and not
>> foldable by any means.

> Sounds like Domino's.
>
>> If you ordered some of the really large pizzas, the thin slices didn't have
>> much 'hold' power and you'd have to use a fork just to eat the tip down
>> some and THEN you could lift it off the plate.

> I either just hold up the tip for as long as it takes to bite it
> off, or just fold it back over the slice. Usually not a problem.
>
> nancy

Kind of like a backward somersault with a 1 1/2? I'll try that next time!

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 06:38:33 -0500, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>I'm guilty of the fork thing with a pizza, but........oh well.

I'm a half and halfer. When the pizza is fresh out of the pizza oven
and the filling is still HOT (meaning it hasn't cooled enough yet to
stiffen up), I'll use a knife and fork on the first half from the
pointy end.... then I bend it and eat it like real pizza should be
eaten. For subsequent slices, I'll use a fork at least for the
pointiest part, just because thin crust pizzas are usually pretty
flimsy at that end when they are hot.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 12:09:33 GMT, Melondy >
wrote:

>They don't seem to care about a dozen other environmental
>disasters waiting around their corner, but chopsticks they seem to care
>about.

Let's look on the bright side... at least they are dipping their toes
into the eco water.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 21, 4:36 am, "kilikini" > wrote:
> You're going to laugh. I HATE getting my fingers dirty. True story. When
> crack eggs, I have to wash my hands off in between each one. I can't stand
> mushing food with my hands. I don't like having greasy fingers. I know a
> few others in this group are like that, too. I am not alone. :~)

I wonder about this constantly when I watch cooking shows. How can the
TV chefs stand not being able to rinse fingers more often than they
do? I agree with you. I am constantly rinsing my fingers off.

Slice an onioin. Rinse.
Grate cheese. Rinse.
Chop walnuts. Rinse.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 20, 2:53 pm, (Victor Sack) wrote:
> Chopsticks have already stood the test of time, having been first used
> some 5.000 years ago. The modern four-pronged fork first appeared in
> Italy, in the 17th century. In some other European countries, it had to
> wait until the start of the 19th century to become at all acceptable.
> It is just a modish trinket, one could say.

Reminds me of the movie The LIttle Mermaid where Ariel used the fork
as a haircomb.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On 21 Apr 2007 12:39:53 -0700, Karen > magnanimously
proffered:

>On Apr 21, 4:36 am, "kilikini" > wrote:
>> You're going to laugh. I HATE getting my fingers dirty. True story. When
>> crack eggs, I have to wash my hands off in between each one. I can't stand
>> mushing food with my hands. I don't like having greasy fingers. I know a
>> few others in this group are like that, too. I am not alone. :~)

>I wonder about this constantly when I watch cooking shows. How can the
>TV chefs stand not being able to rinse fingers more often than they
>do? I agree with you. I am constantly rinsing my fingers off.
>
>Slice an onioin. Rinse.
>Grate cheese. Rinse.
>Chop walnuts. Rinse.
>
>Karen

We watcjed Jamie Oliver's new show night before last and I said to my
wife, "I bet he liked to make mud pies as a kid."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Apr 2007 12:39:53 -0700, Karen > wrote:

>On Apr 21, 4:36 am, "kilikini" > wrote:
>> You're going to laugh. I HATE getting my fingers dirty. True story. When
>> crack eggs, I have to wash my hands off in between each one. I can't stand
>> mushing food with my hands. I don't like having greasy fingers. I know a
>> few others in this group are like that, too. I am not alone. :~)

>I wonder about this constantly when I watch cooking shows. How can the
>TV chefs stand not being able to rinse fingers more often than they
>do? I agree with you. I am constantly rinsing my fingers off.
>
>Slice an onioin. Rinse.
>Grate cheese. Rinse.
>Chop walnuts. Rinse.

Haven't you noticed the towels? They wipe their hands on towels.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 21 Apr 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> "Miche" > wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> >> Yup. Then there are the others. You know who you are.
> >> Fork and knife, indeed.

> > My grandfather used to eat fish and chips with a knife and fork, off a
> > china plate.

> Isn't there a picture out there somewhere showing Damsel
> eating ribs with a fork and knife?
>
> nancy

I still to this day eat fish and chips on a plate...with cutlery.
Just last wednesday I ate some ribs for lunch with a knife and fork...I
didn't want to get messed up as the lunch room isn't a place to get easily
cleaned in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 21 Apr 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> "Melondy" > wrote
>
> > I never knew or had ever seen the fold it up and eat it way until
> > we
> > moved to New York. It works very well with the pizza out here. We
> > always ate pizza holding it flat and kind of perched on the tips of
> > our fingers but then again, usually the pieces were cut into small
> > slices and not foldable by any means.

> Sounds like Domino's.
>
> >If you ordered some of the really large pizzas, the thin slices
> >didn't have much 'hold' power and you'd have to use a fork just to
> >eat the tip down some and THEN you could lift it off the plate.

> I either just hold up the tip for as long as it takes to bite it
> off, or just fold it back over the slice. Usually not a problem.
>
> nancy

I just fold the whole pizza in half and go from there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kili wrote:

> You're going to laugh. I HATE getting my fingers dirty. True story.
> When crack eggs, I have to wash my hands off in between each one. I can't
> stand mushing food with my hands. I don't like having greasy fingers. I
> know a few others in this group are like that, too. I am not alone. :~)

I take it you rarely make meatloaf, and I'm guessing you've never been to a
Moroccan restaurant (where no utensils are used and everything is eaten by
hand).

All I can say is that you're missing out on the tactile joys of such things
as (1) making dough using the "volcano" method, (2) making sushi, (3)
separating eggs the "fast" way, (4) squashing whole stewed tomatoes into
sauce, (5) making orecchiette or strozzapreti, or any number of other things
that are best done by hand.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> I'm a half and halfer. When the pizza is fresh out of the pizza oven
> and the filling is still HOT (meaning it hasn't cooled enough yet to
> stiffen up), I'll use a knife and fork on the first half from the
> pointy end.... then I bend it and eat it like real pizza should be
> eaten. For subsequent slices, I'll use a fork at least for the
> pointiest part, just because thin crust pizzas are usually pretty
> flimsy at that end when they are hot.

That's exactly what I do. If the pizza is too hot to pick up, I'll eat
the first part with a knife and fork. By the time I have a few bites
it's usually cool enough to pick up and fold up to eat.

--
Caryn
Caryn Nadelberg - Mommy to Sam and Queen of the May
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> kili wrote:
>
>> You're going to laugh. I HATE getting my fingers dirty. True story.
>> When crack eggs, I have to wash my hands off in between each one. I
>> can't stand mushing food with my hands. I don't like having greasy
>> fingers. I know a few others in this group are like that, too. I
>> am not alone. :~)

> I take it you rarely make meatloaf, and I'm guessing you've never
> been to a Moroccan restaurant (where no utensils are used and
> everything is eaten by hand).
>
> All I can say is that you're missing out on the tactile joys of such
> things as (1) making dough using the "volcano" method, (2) making
> sushi, (3) separating eggs the "fast" way, (4) squashing whole stewed
> tomatoes into sauce, (5) making orecchiette or strozzapreti, or any
> number of other things that are best done by hand.
>
> Bob

I detest meatloaf (and can't eat meat anyway) and no, I've never been to a
Moroccan restaurant. I'm curious about the food, though. Is it spicy,
curried?

I've made sushi! Many times! The sticky rice doesn't bother me, though.
It's not slimey or greasy like raw meat. And, I must confess, I've only
made California Rolls and Tuna Rolls. I don't think the tomatoes would
bother me so much either, but I usually squish those with a potato masher.

I've made pasta, but I've never used my hands to make it. I've used pasta
machines or mixers. Once the dough is made it doesn't bother me to touch
it.

Okay, I'm weird. I admit it.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 22, 6:58�am, "kilikini" > wrote:
> Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > kili wrote:

> >> You're going to laugh. *I HATE getting my fingers dirty. *True story.
> >> When crack eggs, I have to wash my hands off in between each one. *I
> >> can't stand mushing food with my hands. *I don't like having greasy
> >> fingers. *I know a few others in this group are like that, too. *I
> >> am not alone. *:~)

> > I take it you rarely make meatloaf, and I'm guessing you've never
> > been to a Moroccan restaurant (where no utensils are used and
> > everything is eaten by hand).

> > All I can say is that you're missing out on the tactile joys of such
> > things as (1) making dough using the "volcano" method, (2) making
> > sushi, (3) separating eggs the "fast" way, (4) squashing whole stewed
> > tomatoes into sauce, (5) making orecchiette or strozzapreti, or any
> > number of other things that are best done by hand.

> > Bob

> I detest meatloaf (and can't eat meat anyway) and no, I've never been to a
> Moroccan restaurant. *I'm curious about the food, though. *Is it spicy,
> curried?
>
> I've made sushi! *Many times! *The sticky rice doesn't bother me, though.
> It's not slimey or greasy like raw meat. *And, I must confess, I've only
> made California Rolls and Tuna Rolls. *I don't think the tomatoes would
> bother me so much either, but I usually squish those with a potato masher.
>
> I've made pasta, but I've never used my hands to make it. *I've used pasta
> machines or mixers. *Once the dough is made it doesn't bother me to touch
> it.
>
> Okay, I'm weird. *I admit it.

Not so weird, one thing you'll never have sex with another woman! <G>

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kili asked:

> I've never been to a Moroccan restaurant. I'm curious about the food,
> though. Is it spicy, curried?

It's similar to curry in that the food tends to be fragrant with spices,
though rarely chile-spicy. Here's a pseudo-Moroccan recipe to give you an
idea of what it's like; I posted this here several years ago. I clipped the
original recipe out of a magazine sometime in the 1970s:

Macaroni with Spicy Lamb Ragout

Serves 6

1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil
1 cup diced, peeled onion
1/2 teaspoon minced, peeled garlic
1 pound lean ground lamb or beef (I almost always use ground chuck)
1 15-oz can (2 cups) tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
1 pound macaroni or ziti
2 tablespoons butter or margarine

1. In a large skillet, melt the 1 tablespoon of butter over moderate
heat. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring often, until onion is soft
and yellow. Add garlic and meat, increase heat to moderately high and cook 5
minutes, breaking up meat with a spoon, until it loses most of its red
color. Start pasta water.

2. To meat mixture, add tomato sauce, oregano, cinnamon, salt, and
pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to moderately low and simmer 15
minutes, stirring often to prevent sauce from sticking.

3. While sauce is cooking, boil pasta for required time.

4. Add parsley to sauce and turn heat off, but leave pan on burner for a
moment. After about a minute, remove the pan from the heat. Beat the yogurt
smooth, add to the sauce, and stir to blend.

5. Drain pasta and put into large bowl. Toss with the remaining butter or
margarine.

Divide pasta among heated soup plates or dinner plates. Spoon sauce over
pasta and serve. Good with toasted French bread and a salad of escarole,
cucumbers, beets, and black olives.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> Kili asked:
>
>> I've never been to a Moroccan restaurant. I'm curious about the
>> food, though. Is it spicy, curried?

> It's similar to curry in that the food tends to be fragrant with
> spices, though rarely chile-spicy. Here's a pseudo-Moroccan recipe to
> give you an idea of what it's like; I posted this here several years
> ago. I clipped the original recipe out of a magazine sometime in the
> 1970s:
>
> Macaroni with Spicy Lamb Ragout
>
> Serves 6
>
> 1 tablespoon butter or vegetable oil
> 1 cup diced, peeled onion
> 1/2 teaspoon minced, peeled garlic
> 1 pound lean ground lamb or beef (I almost always use ground chuck)
> 1 15-oz can (2 cups) tomato sauce
> 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
> 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon pepper
> 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
> 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
> 1 pound macaroni or ziti
> 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
>
> 1. In a large skillet, melt the 1 tablespoon of butter over moderate
> heat. Add the onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring often, until onion
> is soft and yellow. Add garlic and meat, increase heat to moderately
> high and cook 5 minutes, breaking up meat with a spoon, until it
> loses most of its red color. Start pasta water.
>
> 2. To meat mixture, add tomato sauce, oregano, cinnamon, salt, and
> pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to moderately low and simmer 15
> minutes, stirring often to prevent sauce from sticking.
>
> 3. While sauce is cooking, boil pasta for required time.
>
> 4. Add parsley to sauce and turn heat off, but leave pan on burner
> for a moment. After about a minute, remove the pan from the heat.
> Beat the yogurt smooth, add to the sauce, and stir to blend.
>
> 5. Drain pasta and put into large bowl. Toss with the remaining
> butter or margarine.
>
> Divide pasta among heated soup plates or dinner plates. Spoon sauce
> over pasta and serve. Good with toasted French bread and a salad of
> escarole, cucumbers, beets, and black olives.
>

> Bob

That sounds good! I love all the ingredients so it's one I'm going to have
to try. Thanks, Bob, recipe is saved.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:

>"Phred" > wrote in message
>> [I can sympathise with the fish problem. Forty years ago I was on an
>> Italian liner and one night the midnight snack in the stern bar was an
>> "English night". They served fish'n'chips and it was just plain
>> *awful*. (And not even wrapped in _The Times_. ;-) I don't know if
>> globalisation has improved things, but back then the Italians had no
>> idea how to prepare proper fish'n'chips.]
>>
>> Cheers, Phred.

>Probably tasted like the Italian pasta I was served on a British Airways
>flight. At least the wine was free.

You should be paid to drink airline wine! :-)

The only decent free "wine" I've ever been served on a plane was a
tequila served on flights from Hermosillo to Tucson 30 years ago.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>, Karen > wrote:
>On Apr 21, 4:36 am, "kilikini" > wrote:
>> You're going to laugh. I HATE getting my fingers dirty. True story. When
>> crack eggs, I have to wash my hands off in between each one. I can't stand
>> mushing food with my hands. I don't like having greasy fingers. I know a
>> few others in this group are like that, too. I am not alone. :~)

>I wonder about this constantly when I watch cooking shows. How can the
>TV chefs stand not being able to rinse fingers more often than they
>do? I agree with you. I am constantly rinsing my fingers off.
>
>Slice an onioin. Rinse.
>Grate cheese. Rinse.
>Chop walnuts. Rinse.

Surveys suggest around 20% of the adult population don't even wash
their hands after going to the loo.

Then there are the cooks who lick their fingers and/or slurp all over
the spoon before using one or the other for the next chore.

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-04-22, Phred > wrote:

> The only decent free "wine" I've ever been served on a plane was a
> tequila served on flights from Hermosillo to Tucson 30 years ago.

I recently traveled on the California Zypher from CO to CA.
Unfortunately, recent appropriation cut-backs to AMTRAK have rendered
the dining experience little better than a bad Denny's. But, I was
able to get a 375ml bottle of an astonishingly good imported Italian
Pinot Grigio with my dried out salmon dinner. One online article
suggests it may have been Cavitt brand, but I don't recall.
Regardless, it was pretty darn good.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 1:11 pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On 19 Apr2007 13:24:16 -0700, Karen wrote:
>
> > Pondering the use of chopsticks in western society. Since forks,
> > knives, spoons were invented, why do we still use chopsticks?

> I have never used chopsticks. And I cook and eat of lot of Asian
> food. Simply, forks are much more efficient.
>
> Don't even get me started on those damned Chinese spoons.
>
> -sw

I eat pasta with chopstick!! (not all the time)

I use all type of tablewares for eating, and find out that chopstick
is almost silent when used. Fork and knife are more noisy and heavier
to use, good for steaks or cut something on the table, fork for pasta,
etc... You can use chopstick to pick up some very small morsel, since
you manipulate the chopstick, it can be very versatile. Just a matter
of getting used to. I can pick up a whole chicken or some grains of
rice with chopstick.

I reuse all, even cheap plastic spoon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
??>> On 19 Apr2007 13:24:16 -0700, Karen wrote:
??>>
??>>> Pondering the use of chopsticks in western society. Since
??>>> forks, knives, spoons were invented, why do we still use
??>>> chopsticks?
SF> I eat pasta with chopstick!! (not all the time)

SF> I use all type of tablewares for eating, and find out that
SF> chopstick is almost silent when used. Fork and knife are
SF> more noisy and heavier to use, good for steaks or cut
SF> something on the table, fork for pasta, etc... You can use
SF> chopstick to pick up some very small morsel, since you
SF> manipulate the chopstick, it can be very versatile. Just a
SF> matter of getting used to. I can pick up a whole chicken or
SF> some grains of rice with chopstick.

The sound does not concern me but I can pick up a single rice
grain with chopsticks and shovel rice from a bowl to my mouth,
Japanese style, but I have never developed the hand musculature
to pick up a whole chicken! But why bother since I am doubtless
going to cut it up anyway?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob > wrote in
:

> BTW - anyone ever figure out how to eat a taco without part of the
> filling dropping out?

Instead of putting shredded lettuce in the taco, I wrap a whole lettuce
leaf around it. Works a treat. I got the idea from vietnamese restaurants
that serve lettuce with spring rolls (aka egg rolls, iirc) for the same
purpose. Of course, I'm not a taco purist, so I don't know if lettuce is
canonical ;P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Amarantha > wrote in
. 245.131:

> bob > wrote in
> :

>> BTW - anyone ever figure out how to eat a taco without part
>> of the filling dropping out?

> Instead of putting shredded lettuce in the taco, I wrap a
> whole lettuce leaf around it. Works a treat. I got the idea
> from vietnamese restaurants that serve lettuce with spring
> rolls (aka egg rolls, iirc) for the same purpose. Of course,
> I'm not a taco purist, so I don't know if lettuce is canonical
> ;P

I like your idea!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On 23 Apr 2007 04:48:06 GMT, sandi >
magnanimously proffered:

>Amarantha > wrote in
.245.131:

>> bob > wrote in
>> :

>>> BTW - anyone ever figure out how to eat a taco without part
>>> of the filling dropping out?

>> Instead of putting shredded lettuce in the taco, I wrap a
>> whole lettuce leaf around it. Works a treat. I got the idea
>> from vietnamese restaurants that serve lettuce with spring
>> rolls (aka egg rolls, iirc) for the same purpose. Of course,
>> I'm not a taco purist, so I don't know if lettuce is canonical
>> ;P

>I like your idea!

Me too. It makes sense to use a leaf instead of shredding the lettuce.
Can't wait to try it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:
> On 23 Apr 2007 04:48:06 GMT, sandi >
> magnanimously proffered:
>
>> Amarantha > wrote in
>> . 245.131:
>>
>>> bob > wrote in
>>> :

>>> Instead of putting shredded lettuce in the taco, I wrap a
>>> whole lettuce leaf around it. Works a treat. I got the idea
>>> from vietnamese restaurants that serve lettuce with spring
>>> rolls (aka egg rolls, iirc) for the same purpose. Of course,
>>> I'm not a taco purist, so I don't know if lettuce is canonical
>>> ;P

>> I like your idea!

> Me too. It makes sense to use a leaf instead of shredding the lettuce.
> Can't wait to try it.

Me three. I'm going to give that a go, too.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sandi" > wrote in message
enews.net
> Amarantha > wrote in
> . 245.131:
>
> > bob > wrote in
> > :

> > > BTW - anyone ever figure out how to eat a taco without part
> > > of the filling dropping out?

> > Instead of putting shredded lettuce in the taco, I wrap a
> > whole lettuce leaf around it. Works a treat. I got the idea
> > from vietnamese restaurants that serve lettuce with spring
> > rolls (aka egg rolls, iirc) for the same purpose. Of course,
> > I'm not a taco purist, so I don't know if lettuce is canonical
> > ;P

> I like your idea!

Yeah. Put the lettuce on the outside, and there's more room inside for even
more filling!

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 18:10:35 -0400, " BOB" >
magnanimously proffered:

>"sandi" > wrote in message
eenews.net
>> Amarantha > wrote in
>> . 245.131:
>>
>> > bob > wrote in
>> > :

>> > Instead of putting shredded lettuce in the taco, I wrap a
>> > whole lettuce leaf around it. Works a treat. I got the idea
>> > from vietnamese restaurants that serve lettuce with spring
>> > rolls (aka egg rolls, iirc) for the same purpose. Of course,
>> > I'm not a taco purist, so I don't know if lettuce is canonical
>> > ;P

>> I like your idea!

>Yeah. Put the lettuce on the outside, and there's more room inside for even
>more filling!
>
>BOB

Even better ... how about cutting a hole out of a head of iceberg
lettuce in the shape of a taco, inserting the filled taco and eating
the head of lettuce?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:

> Even better ... how about cutting a hole out of a head of iceberg
> lettuce in the shape of a taco, inserting the filled taco and eating
> the head of lettuce?

I think that would require larger chopsticks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Tue, 24 Apr 2007 01:56:08 -0400, Goomba38 >
magnanimously proffered:

>bob wrote:
>
>> Even better ... how about cutting a hole out of a head of iceberg
>> lettuce in the shape of a taco, inserting the filled taco and eating
>> the head of lettuce?

>I think that would require larger chopsticks.

And a very large mouth ...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen wrote:
> On Apr 19, 1:34 pm, Cindy Hamilton >
> wrote:
>> Well, so am I; I'll pretend you said that with admiration.

> I'm not poking fun or trying to argue. Really. No offense!
>
>> Well, don't use them, then. Ask for silverware.

> I could, but I don't. I really don't want to use silverware when
> everyone else is using chopsticks. So I struggle. But, then I wonder
> why many struggle?

Why would you be concerned about using silverware when others are using
chopsticks? I'm pretty good with chopsticks but I wouldn't care what other
people thought if I wanted to use silverware instead.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen > wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
> Ancient tools are updated to modern tools all over the board. But
> chopsticks remain on the table. I'm just wondering why. I suppose
> tradition is the answer?

The answer is efficiency and ease. There is a learning
curve to acquire skill with chopsticks but once I had
made that effort I discovered that a lot of types of food
are actually easier to eat with chopsticks. Use the
right tool for the job - a principle that points to using
chopsticks at some meals.

> > You can't scoop up soup with a fork, either. If you
> > need to spear something when eating with chopsticks,
> > you're doing something wrong. I can handle a salmon
> > filet with chopsticks.

> Well, there's the invention of the spoon that one uses for soup.

Correct. Soup, large pieces of meat, there are plenty
of types of food where chopsticks are not the right tool.

> Of course, noodles slide right over the edges.

Again this is a skill issue. Get yourself over the
learning curve. I have long since taken to using chopsticks
with noodles at any place that offers them. For the
reason that it is easier now that I have gotten over
the learning curve.

> > Well, don't use them, then. Ask for silverware.

> I could, but I don't. I really don't want to use silverware when
> everyone else is using chopsticks. So I struggle.

Either go through the learning curve until you find it
easy or avoid chopsticks. Your choice.

> But, then I wonder why many struggle?

I don't know why many struggle. Lack of a good teacher
perhaps. I only know that for very many once the skill
is acquired it's the easy way.

> > I suppose you avoid the taste of metal (with wooden or
> > bamboo chopsticks, of course).

> Yeah, maybe.

Metal is smooth. Roughness of chopsticks does make
them even easier for specific foods. But the smooth ones
go in the dishwasher and last for a very long time. Options
are plentiful.

> Just wondering why we cling to
> chopsticks when eating certain types of food.

Because it's easier than with a fork once the skill has been
acquired.

> And, if those reasons
> are valid (like avoiding the taste of metal), why not use chopsticks
> exclusively, like for spaghetti, for example?

I do prefer them for spagetti though not a lot of places carry
them - the chain Noodles & Company does for example.

The reasons they aren't used exclusively is they aren't
appropriate for certain types of food and the type of food
prepared in some cultures has some people never
acquiring the skill with them to make them be viewed as
easier.

Chopsticks notbob General Cooking 91 25-01-2012 12:17 AM
(2010-07-13) NS-RFC: Chopsticks! ChattyCathy General Cooking 44 19-07-2010 05:11 PM
American chopsticks notbob General Cooking 206 04-02-2009 03:58 AM
(2009-01-19) NS-RFC: Using chopsticks ChattyCathy General Cooking 134 23-01-2009 06:35 PM
Chopsticks Mekare Sushi 202 05-11-2004 03:11 AM