Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Out of the mouths of babes.... butter vs margarine

My 3 y/o asked for a cracker with butter on it, and volunteered to bring
the butter from the fridge.... She brought the margarine tub instead,
and I thought "She won't know the difference", so I put it on her
cracker. Yeah right.

She took one bite and said, "You have put too much 'not-butter' on
this", and promptly put it down, and walked off.

LOL
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Question: why do you have a tub of margarine when you also have butter?

Always keep both here. My DS says that butter is too hard to spread on
sandwiches. heh heh heh.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> My 3 y/o asked for a cracker with butter on it, and volunteered to
> bring the butter from the fridge.... She brought the margarine tub
> instead, and I thought "She won't know the difference", so I put it
> on her cracker. Yeah right.
>
> She took one bite and said, "You have put too much 'not-butter' on
> this", and promptly put it down, and walked off.
>
> LOL

Question: why do you have a tub of margarine when you also have butter?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 10:07 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Question: why do you have a tub of margarine when you also have butter?

> Always keep both here. My DS says that butter is too hard to spread on
> sandwiches. heh heh heh.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Butter doesn't have to be refrigerated if it gets regular use. I
never refrigerate butter I am currently using. (9 seconds in a 1000W
microwave will make it just right to spread, if it has been in the
fridge)

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Butter doesn't have to be refrigerated if it gets regular use. I
> never refrigerate butter I am currently using. (9 seconds in a 1000W
> microwave will make it just right to spread, if it has been in the
> fridge)

We always have to keep our butter in the fridge, here anyway. It "melts"
if left out for more than half an hour to an hour. I know you can do the
MW thing - and I do that occasionally, take some butter, stick it on a
plate and nuke.. But DS's view is this: If he's making a sandwich, by
the time he's added all the "stuff" to his sandwich (like chili sauce,
or whatever) he doesn't taste the difference...

OTOH, I only use butter for cooking - it does seem to make a difference,
to me anyway. In fact, if I am pan-frying fish, I mix a lot of butter
and a little olive oil - it seems to stop the butter "burning".

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 19, 11:07?am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Question: why do you have a tub of margarine when you also have butter?

> Always keep both here. My DS says that butter is too hard to spread on
> sandwiches. heh heh heh.

Here just like whipped margerine whipped butter is available in a tub
too... perhaps not where you live.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> My 3 y/o asked for a cracker with butter on it, and volunteered to bring
> the butter from the fridge.... She brought the margarine tub instead, and
> I thought "She won't know the difference", so I put it on her cracker.
> Yeah right.
>
> She took one bite and said, "You have put too much 'not-butter' on this",
> and promptly put it down, and walked off.
>
> LOL
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Let's hear it for a 3-year-old with good taste buds!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
> > Butter doesn't have to be refrigerated if it gets regular use. *I
> > never refrigerate butter I am currently using. *(9 seconds in a 1000W
> > microwave will make it just right to spread, if it has been in the
> > fridge)

> We always have to keep our butter in the fridge, here anyway. It "melts"
> if left out for more than half an hour to an hour.

You may want to invest in a butter bell. There are many types.

I like the gingerbread man design:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ds=butter+bell

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Here just like whipped margerine whipped butter is available in a tub
> too... perhaps not where you live.

I know what you mean. They sell stuff here called "spreadable butter" -
made by Lurpak. It contains a little vegetable fat or something and is
supposed to be better for your heart/cholesterol levels, whatever. I do
buy it sometimes - tastes almost like butter (much better than
margarine, I have to admit), but... it doesn't seem any different
"spreading-wise" to me after being in the fridge - still gets as hard
as "real" butter... sigh.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy > wrote in news:yyLVh.148957
:

> My 3 y/o asked for a cracker with butter on it, and volunteered to bring
> the butter from the fridge.... She brought the margarine tub instead,
> and I thought "She won't know the difference", so I put it on her
> cracker. Yeah right.
>
> She took one bite and said, "You have put too much 'not-butter' on
> this", and promptly put it down, and walked off.
>
> LOL

A very young Racheal Ray in the making :-)

Good on her!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote in
ps.com:

> On Apr 19, 10:07 am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> > Question: why do you have a tub of margarine when you also have
>> > butter?

>> Always keep both here. My DS says that butter is too hard to spread
>> on sandwiches. heh heh heh.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy

> Butter doesn't have to be refrigerated if it gets regular use. I
> never refrigerate butter I am currently using. (9 seconds in a 1000W
> microwave will make it just right to spread, if it has been in the
> fridge)
>
> N.

Same same.

I have a tub of butter that I keep out of the fridge all the time. It
lasts about 5-6 days and is fine, even in summer. It's kept in the
coolest part of the kitchen, or even inside the microwave if it gets
*really* hot.

Hard butter and fresh soft bread do *not* mix!!!

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy > wrote in message
> My 3 y/o asked for a cracker with butter on it, and
> volunteered to bring the butter from the fridge...
> She brought the margarine tub instead, and I thought
> "She won't know the difference", so I put it on her cracker.
> Yeah right.
>
> She took one bite and said, "You have put too much
> 'not-butter' on this", and promptly put it down, and
> walked off.

Daughter-unit Beta also knew the difference between butter and
not-butter at 3 when I tried to pull a similar stunt. She wasn't
as erudite, though. She simply toddled over to the garbage can and
tossed the margarine-slathered slice of crustless Wonder in. When
I asked why she'd done that, she crinkled her nose and stuck her
tongue, finishing the pantomime of with a full-body shudder.

A new slice using Real(r) Butter was immediately issued with no
complaints.

The Ranger
--
"The seven deadly sins ... Food, clothing, firing, rent, taxes,
respectability and children. Nothing can lift those seven

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > Here just like whipped margerine whipped butter is available in a tub
> > too... perhaps not where you live.

> I know what you mean. They sell stuff here called "spreadable butter" -
> made by Lurpak. It contains a little vegetable fat or something and is
> supposed to be better for your heart/cholesterol levels, whatever. I do
> buy it sometimes - tastes almost like butter (much better than
> margarine, I have to admit), but... it doesn't seem any different
> "spreading-wise" to me after being in the fridge - still gets as hard
> as "real" butter... sigh.

That sounds like "Light", or reduced calorie butter, not very good.

Here the whipped butter is 100pct real butter, only thing added is
that air is whipped in to make it spreadable. Most major dairies in
the US produce whipped butter.

I don't particularly like very soft butter, left at room temperature
it's much too soft for my liking, I particularly don't like when a
stick of butter is at the point where it is so soft it's about ready
to collapse in upon itself, and when it's so soft it's not very
visually appealing, not to me.. then even the color is off, looks
about the same caramel color and texture of the high pressure lube I
squirt into my tractor's fittings.

I keep butter in a covered glass butter dish, in the fridge. If I'm
going to want butter for spreading on say toast, I bring the butter
dish to the table before putting the bread to toast... by the time the
toast is ready the butter has softened enough to spread. I slice off
very thin pats and lay them on the slice of toast. By the time I have
the thin butter pats applied to the second slice of toast the butter
on the first slice is almost too soft... I don't want my toast with
melted butter absorbed, I want the butter to be spread on teh
surface... if I wanted melted butter I'd place a chunk into a cup and
microwave it and then just pour it on my toast, or dip toast points
into it like lobster into drawn butter.

One thing I absolutely detest is when folks scrape their butter knife
across the top of the entire stick of butter... selfish self centered,
hooray for me, **** everyone *******s shit it up for everyone else...
very same creeps never flush the terlit... females especially only
flush once but never look back to see if all their business actually
went down, yoose know exactly who you are. heh heh heh

And now back to butter...

butter
Made by churning cream until it reaches a semisolid state, butter must
by U.S. law be at least 80 percent MILK FAT. The remaining 20 percent
consists of water and milk solids. The U.S. Department of Agriculture
(USDA) grades butter quality based on flavor, body, texture, color and
salt. Butter packages bear a shield surrounding the letter grade (and
occasionally the numerical score equivalent) indicating the quality of
the contents. The grades, beginning with the finest, are AA (93
score), A (92 score), B (90 score) and C (89 score). AA and A grades
are those most commonly found at the retail level. Butter may be
artificially colored (with natural ANNATTO); it may also be salted or
unsalted. Unsalted butter is usually labeled as such and contains
absolutely no salt. It's sometimes erroneously referred to as "sweet"
butter - a misnomer because any butter made with sweet instead of sour
cream is sweet butter. Therefore, expect packages labeled "sweet cream
butter" to contain salted butter. Unsalted butter is preferred by many
for everyday eating and baking. Because it contains no salt (which
acts as a preservative), it is more perishable than salted butter and
therefore stored in the freezer section of some markets.

*Whipped butter has had air beaten into it, thereby increasing volume
and creating a softer, more spreadable consistency when cold. It comes
in salted and unsalted forms.*

-Light or reduced-calorie butter has about half the fat of regular
butter, possible through the addition of water, skim milk and gelatin.
It shouldn't be substituted for regular butter or margarine in frying
and baking.-

Storing butter: Because butter absorbs flavors like a sponge, it
should be wrapped airtight for storage. Refrigerate regular butter for
up to 1 month, unsalted butter for up to 2 weeks. Both can be frozen
for up to 6 months.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>> Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>>> Butter doesn't have to be refrigerated if it gets regular use. I
>>> never refrigerate butter I am currently using. (9 seconds in a 1000W
>>> microwave will make it just right to spread, if it has been in the
>>> fridge)

>> We always have to keep our butter in the fridge, here anyway. It
>> "melts" if left out for more than half an hour to an hour.

> You may want to invest in a butter bell. There are many types.
>
> I like the gingerbread man design:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...ds=butter+bell

> Sheldon

I love my butter bell! I heartily recommend them. As long as you keep the
water cool you can have spreadable butter any time. OTOH, the do make
whipped butter (at least here in the states) which is slightly more
spreadable than the stick stuff. I've no idea what is available to Cathy as
she's in South Africa.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> My 3 y/o asked for a cracker with butter on it, and volunteered to bring
> the butter from the fridge.... She brought the margarine tub instead,
> and I thought "She won't know the difference", so I put it on her
> cracker. Yeah right.
>
> She took one bite and said, "You have put too much 'not-butter' on
> this", and promptly put it down, and walked off.
>
> LOL
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Smart kidlet!!! Just wait until she's a teenager! Watch out for the
wallet <g>.

Sky

Sky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Ranger" > wrote in message
> Chatty Cathy > wrote in message
>> My 3 y/o asked for a cracker with butter on it, and
>> volunteered to bring the butter from the fridge...
>> She brought the margarine tub instead, and I thought
>> "She won't know the difference", so I put it on her cracker. Yeah right.
>>
>> She took one bite and said, "You have put too much
>> 'not-butter' on this", and promptly put it down, and
>> walked off.

> Daughter-unit Beta also knew the difference between butter and not-butter
> at 3 when I tried to pull a similar stunt. She wasn't as erudite, though.
> She simply toddled over to the garbage can and tossed the
> margarine-slathered slice of crustless Wonder in. When I asked why she'd
> done that, she crinkled her nose and stuck her tongue, finishing the
> pantomime of with a full-body shudder.
>
> A new slice using Real(r) Butter was immediately issued with no
> complaints.
>
> The Ranger
> --
> "The seven deadly sins ... Food, clothing, firing, rent, taxes,
> respectability and children. Nothing can lift those seven millstones from
> man's neck but money, and the spirit cannot soar until the millstones are
> lifted."
> George Bernard Shaw

So how is the 'attitudinal Miss Thing' doing? Healing up okay?
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski > wrote in message
[snip]
> So how is the 'attitudinal Miss Thing' doing? Healing up okay?

Doin' her Thang. <G>

There was a low point this past week where she hit that
Metaphysical Wall. But, as is her way, she's bounced back and
pushing forward again. Her posse (of doctors) are... Impressed.

The Ranger
--
"While money doesn't buy love, it puts you in a great bargaining
position."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 19 Apr 2007 08:32:23 -0700, Nancy2 > wrote:

>Butter doesn't have to be refrigerated if it gets regular use. I
>never refrigerate butter I am currently using. (9 seconds in a 1000W
>microwave will make it just right to spread, if it has been in the
>fridge)

In my house, butter left on the counter is too hard to spread for most
of the year.

In a month or two, this will change.

Jo Anne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:07:15 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> wrote:

>jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Question: why do you have a tub of margarine when you also have butter?

>Always keep both here. My DS says that butter is too hard to spread on
>sandwiches. heh heh heh.

This is a huge disagreement I have with hubby. I hate hard butter.
It got to the point where were have two butter dishes: his and hers.
Mine is room temp, his is refrigerated.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:07:15 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Question: why do you have a tub of margarine when you also have butter?

>Always keep both here. My DS says that butter is too hard to spread on
>sandwiches. heh heh heh.

Girl, you need to buy yourself a butter bell. Greatest thing since the
invention of butter:

http://www.butterbell.com/product-info.php

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

-- Duncan Hines