FoodBanter.com

-   -   I cooked with my cast Iron last night (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/1210-i-cooked-my-cast.html)

Vince Poroke 09-10-2003 05:45 PM

I cooked with my cast Iron last night

Damn was it delicious. I made a pork chop casserole in a 7 qt Dutch
oven in my oven. It was tender and delicious. There was a flavor
there that added a complexity that I don't know if I could have
achieved with any other cooking utensil. I put the Dutch oven on the
stove and heated some olive oil. Browned the chops, what was great it
that the cooking was even so it was a consistent Maillard coloring.
Took them out and caramelized some onion slices, threw in some
shallots and garlic until they were soft. I deglazed the oven with
chicken stock and wine. I poured in some cream, fresh sage and thyme
and stirred then added the chops. Covered it and threw it in the oven
on 275 for an hour and 15. I cooked some stovetop stuffing. I
removed the Dutch oven, gave the sauce a stir and added a little milk
because it was getting a little thick. I poured in some peas and
carrot and covered each chop with the stuffing. I put it back in the
oven uncovered for 15 minutes and 325. I understand that it may sound
strange but it was absolutely perfect. It was a new Dutch Oven with
only two seasons to it so the food stuck here and there but no more
than any casserole dish. Let me know if any one has any other tried
Dutch oven recipes.

BOB 09-10-2003 06:16 PM

I cooked with my cast Iron last night

Vince Poroke typed:
> Damn was it delicious. I made a pork chop casserole in a 7 qt Dutch
> oven in my oven. It was tender and delicious. There was a flavor
> there that added a complexity that I don't know if I could have
> achieved with any other cooking utensil. I put the Dutch oven on the
> stove and heated some olive oil. Browned the chops, what was great it
> that the cooking was even so it was a consistent Maillard coloring.
> Took them out and caramelized some onion slices, threw in some
> shallots and garlic until they were soft. I deglazed the oven with
> chicken stock and wine. I poured in some cream, fresh sage and thyme
> and stirred then added the chops. Covered it and threw it in the oven
> on 275 for an hour and 15. I cooked some stovetop stuffing. I
> removed the Dutch oven, gave the sauce a stir and added a little milk
> because it was getting a little thick. I poured in some peas and
> carrot and covered each chop with the stuffing. I put it back in the
> oven uncovered for 15 minutes and 325. I understand that it may sound
> strange but it was absolutely perfect. It was a new Dutch Oven with
> only two seasons to it so the food stuck here and there but no more
> than any casserole dish. Let me know if any one has any other tried
> Dutch oven recipes.

My brother cooks in his Dutch oven all the time. He sent me this link:
http://www.idos.com/Recipes/archives/recarc.htm and says that all that he has
tried are great. I haven't tried any, I prefer my Kamado grills.

BOB
ps, I have eaten several of the cobblers that he said came from this
list...they were great

Gar 09-10-2003 09:37 PM

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:16:54 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:

>Vince Poroke typed:
>> Let me know if any one has any other tried
>> Dutch oven recipes.

>My brother cooks in his Dutch oven all the time. He sent me this link:
>http://www.idos.com/Recipes/archives/recarc.htm and says that all that he has
>tried are great. I haven't tried any, I prefer my Kamado grills.
>
>BOB
>ps, I have eaten several of the cobblers that he said came from this
>list...they were great

I don't have Vince Poroke's post anymore so I'm tagging on here.
Please excuse the interuption. <g> The camping, hiking and other
outdoor groups have discussions on DO cooking. Kinda interesting
seeing formulas for how many briquetts on the cover to create a
specific temp. They have useful links also.

Gar

BOB 09-10-2003 11:42 PM

I cooked with my cast Iron last night

Gar <Gar> typed:
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:16:54 -0400, " BOB" wrote:
>
>> Vince Poroke typed:
>>> Let me know if any one has any other tried
>>> Dutch oven recipes.

>> My brother cooks in his Dutch oven all the time. He sent me this link:
>> http://www.idos.com/Recipes/archives/recarc.htm and says that all that he

has
>> tried are great. I haven't tried any, I prefer my Kamado grills.
>>
>> BOB
>> ps, I have eaten several of the cobblers that he said came from this
>> list...they were great
>>

> I don't have Vince Poroke's post anymore so I'm tagging on here.
> Please excuse the interuption. <g> The camping, hiking and other
> outdoor groups have discussions on DO cooking. Kinda interesting
> seeing formulas for how many briquetts on the cover to create a
> specific temp. They have useful links also.
>
> Gar

I'd forgotten about those groups...Here's a link I found written on a scrap
of paper with some camping equipment:
http://www.macscouter.com/Cooking/DutchOven.html
I believe it was posted some time ago in one of those groups.

BOB

Carnivore269 10-10-2003 06:05 AM

" BOB" > wrote in message >...
> Gar <Gar> typed:
> > On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:16:54 -0400, " BOB" wrote:
> >
> >> Vince Poroke typed:
> >>
> >> My brother cooks in his Dutch oven all the time. He sent me this link:
> >> http://www.idos.com/Recipes/archives/recarc.htm and says that all that he

> has
> >> tried are great. I haven't tried any, I prefer my Kamado grills.
> >>
> >> BOB
> >> ps, I have eaten several of the cobblers that he said came from this
> >> list...they were great
> >>

> > I don't have Vince Poroke's post anymore so I'm tagging on here.
> > Please excuse the interuption. <g> The camping, hiking and other
> > outdoor groups have discussions on DO cooking. Kinda interesting
> > seeing formulas for how many briquetts on the cover to create a
> > specific temp. They have useful links also.
> >
> > Gar

> I'd forgotten about those groups...Here's a link I found written on a scrap
> of paper with some camping equipment:
> http://www.macscouter.com/Cooking/DutchOven.html
> I believe it was posted some time ago in one of those groups.
>
> BOB

Hey!
Thanks for posting that link. :-)
I love my dutch oven but have never used it for camp cooking!
I want to do more camping with my dad now that the weather is cooler here.

C.

Vince Poroke 10-10-2003 06:08 AM

Gar <> wrote in message >. ..
> On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:16:54 -0400, " BOB" > wrote:
>
> >Vince Poroke typed:
> >> Let me know if any one has any other tried
> >> Dutch oven recipes.

> >My brother cooks in his Dutch oven all the time. He sent me this link:
> >http://www.idos.com/Recipes/archives/recarc.htm and says that all that he has
> >tried are great. I haven't tried any, I prefer my Kamado grills.
> >
> >BOB
> >ps, I have eaten several of the cobblers that he said came from this
> >list...they were great
> >

> I don't have Vince Poroke's post anymore so I'm tagging on here.
> Please excuse the interuption. <g> The camping, hiking and other
> outdoor groups have discussions on DO cooking. Kinda interesting
> seeing formulas for how many briquetts on the cover to create a
> specific temp. They have useful links also.
>
> Gar

I thought that was fasinating when I read that. Very impressive. 2
coals equals 25 degrees I believe.