Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Which brand has good corn?

The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. Often they are not as
tender and sweet as I like. Once I even went back the next day to the
supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
wasn't as good as what I got the day before.

So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 7:29�pm, Peter A > wrote:
> In article . com>,
> says...
>
> > The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. *Often they are not as
> > tender and sweet as I like. *Once I even went back the next day to the
> > supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
> > and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
> > wasn't as good as what I got the day before.

> > So. *Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

> I find the Niblets corn to be reliably good. By the way, it is "canned
> corn," not "can corn"

I tried Libby's kernal corn today, was very good for canned but I
think any frozen corn is better than any canned.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:
> The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. Often they are not as
> tender and sweet as I like. Once I even went back the next day to the
> supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
> and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
> wasn't as good as what I got the day before.
>
> So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

If you need to use canned, Niblets is the best but I think that overall,
frozen corn is better and easier to use. It seems to always be the same
quality and isn't 'waterlogged' like so many canned corn brands.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. Often they are not as
> tender and sweet as I like. Once I even went back the next day to the
> supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
> and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
> wasn't as good as what I got the day before.
>
> So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

Trader Joe's Frozen roasted corn.

It zaps in the nuker or sautés in minutes.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 10, 7:29?pm, Peter A > wrote:
> In article . com>,
> says...

<snip>

I tried Libby's kernal corn today, was very good for canned but I
think any frozen corn is better than any canned.

Sheldon

Amen....

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"James" > wrote:

> The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. Often they are not as
> tender and sweet as I like. Once I even went back the next day to the
> supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
> and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
> wasn't as good as what I got the day before.
>
> So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

Green Giant Niblets.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 10, 3:47�pm, "James" > wrote:
> The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. *Often they are not as
> tender and sweet as I like. *Once I even went back the next day to the
> supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
> and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
> wasn't as good as what I got the day before.
>
> So. *Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

For canned corn I alway prefer Green Giant (Niblets) Shoe Peg White
Corn. But nothing compares to good old Roasting Ears cooked over the
campfire. Summer please hurry and get here.
Vickie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:
> The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. Often they are not as
> tender and sweet as I like. Once I even went back the next day to the
> supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
> and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
> wasn't as good as what I got the day before.
>
> So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

Growing up, my mother would only buy Niblets, and I picked up that
habit. (I don't buy canned corn often, but when I do buy it, that is.)

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

Hanover brand - both their regular and gold line vegetables generally seem
better then others to me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene-O-Matic" > wrote in message
> James wrote:
>> The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. Often they are not as
>> tender and sweet as I like. Once I even went back the next day to the
>> supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
>> and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
>> wasn't as good as what I got the day before.
>>
>> So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

> Growing up, my mother would only buy Niblets, and I picked up that habit.
> (I don't buy canned corn often, but when I do buy it, that is.)
>
> Serene

I buy either fresh in season, or 365 (a brand) organic frozen corn, from
Whole Foods.
The difference in flavor is incredible.
Chaviva

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote:

> The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. Often they are not as
> tender and sweet as I like. Once I even went back the next day to the
> supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
> and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
> wasn't as good as what I got the day before.
>
> So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

I buy Delmonte exclusively these days. And I use a lot of
corn. I like it for it's nice crisp texture, just like
fresh corn. It is also nice and sweet. Green Giant niblets
are good texture-wise also. Stay away from Libby's - they
are very soft, not crisp. I also find frozen corn to be softer.
I used to use frozen corn almost exclusively for the fresher
taste but when I discovered Delmonte's newer versions I
switched. They have done something to make the corn stay
crisper when processed than it did years ago.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”