FoodBanter.com

-   -   Which brand has good corn? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/120951-brand-has-good-corn.html)

James[_1_] 10-04-2007 10:47 PM

Which brand has good corn?

The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. Often they are not as
tender and sweet as I like. Once I even went back the next day to the
supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
wasn't as good as what I got the day before.

So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

Peter A 11-04-2007 12:29 AM

Which brand has good corn?

In article . com>,
says...
> The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. Often they are not as
> tender and sweet as I like. Once I even went back the next day to the
> supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
> and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
> wasn't as good as what I got the day before.
>
> So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

I find the Niblets corn to be reliably good. By the way, it is "canned
corn," not "can corn"

--
Peter Aitken

Sheldon 11-04-2007 01:46 AM

Which brand has good corn?

On Apr 10, 7:29�pm, Peter A > wrote:
> In article . com>,
> says...
>
> > The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. *Often they are not as
> > tender and sweet as I like. *Once I even went back the next day to the
> > supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
> > and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
> > wasn't as good as what I got the day before.

> > So. *Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

> I find the Niblets corn to be reliably good. By the way, it is "canned
> corn," not "can corn"

I tried Libby's kernal corn today, was very good for canned but I
think any frozen corn is better than any canned.

Sheldon

Melondy 11-04-2007 01:46 AM

Which brand has good corn?

James wrote:
> The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. Often they are not as
> tender and sweet as I like. Once I even went back the next day to the
> supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
> and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
> wasn't as good as what I got the day before.
>
> So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

If you need to use canned, Niblets is the best but I think that overall,
frozen corn is better and easier to use. It seems to always be the same
quality and isn't 'waterlogged' like so many canned corn brands.

Melondy

Dimitri 11-04-2007 02:04 AM

Which brand has good corn?

"James" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. Often they are not as
> tender and sweet as I like. Once I even went back the next day to the
> supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
> and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
> wasn't as good as what I got the day before.
>
> So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

Trader Joe's Frozen roasted corn.

It zaps in the nuker or sautés in minutes.

Dimitri

Dimitri 11-04-2007 02:05 AM

Which brand has good corn?

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 10, 7:29?pm, Peter A > wrote:
> In article . com>,
> says...

<snip>

I tried Libby's kernal corn today, was very good for canned but I
think any frozen corn is better than any canned.

Sheldon

Amen....

Dimitri

Omelet 11-04-2007 03:08 AM

Which brand has good corn?

In article . com>,
"James" > wrote:

> The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. Often they are not as
> tender and sweet as I like. Once I even went back the next day to the
> supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
> and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
> wasn't as good as what I got the day before.
>
> So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

Green Giant Niblets.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Vickie in Utah 11-04-2007 04:19 AM

Which brand has good corn?

On Apr 10, 3:47�pm, "James" > wrote:
> The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. *Often they are not as
> tender and sweet as I like. *Once I even went back the next day to the
> supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
> and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
> wasn't as good as what I got the day before.
>
> So. *Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

For canned corn I alway prefer Green Giant (Niblets) Shoe Peg White
Corn. But nothing compares to good old Roasting Ears cooked over the
campfire. Summer please hurry and get here.
Vickie

Serene-O-Matic 11-04-2007 04:49 AM

Which brand has good corn?

James wrote:
> The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. Often they are not as
> tender and sweet as I like. Once I even went back the next day to the
> supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
> and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
> wasn't as good as what I got the day before.
>
> So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

Growing up, my mother would only buy Niblets, and I picked up that
habit. (I don't buy canned corn often, but when I do buy it, that is.)

Serene

anon 11-04-2007 08:10 AM

Which brand has good corn?

>> So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

Hanover brand - both their regular and gold line vegetables generally seem
better then others to me

Chaviva 11-04-2007 01:12 PM

Which brand has good corn?

"Serene-O-Matic" > wrote in message
> James wrote:
>> The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. Often they are not as
>> tender and sweet as I like. Once I even went back the next day to the
>> supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
>> and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
>> wasn't as good as what I got the day before.
>>
>> So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

> Growing up, my mother would only buy Niblets, and I picked up that habit.
> (I don't buy canned corn often, but when I do buy it, that is.)
>
> Serene

I buy either fresh in season, or 365 (a brand) organic frozen corn, from
Whole Foods.
The difference in flavor is incredible.
Chaviva

Kate Connally 11-04-2007 04:16 PM

Which brand has good corn?

James wrote:

> The can corn I buy is not consistantly good. Often they are not as
> tender and sweet as I like. Once I even went back the next day to the
> supermarket to buy more of the same can corn which I found to be sweet
> and tender but it must have been from a different batch because it
> wasn't as good as what I got the day before.
>
> So. Do you use a brand that has usually tender and sweet whole corn?

I buy Delmonte exclusively these days. And I use a lot of
corn. I like it for it's nice crisp texture, just like
fresh corn. It is also nice and sweet. Green Giant niblets
are good texture-wise also. Stay away from Libby's - they
are very soft, not crisp. I also find frozen corn to be softer.
I used to use frozen corn almost exclusively for the fresher
taste but when I discovered Delmonte's newer versions I
switched. They have done something to make the corn stay
crisper when processed than it did years ago.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”