Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rose hip jam / jelly / syrup?

Does anyone have any advice please for making rose hip products?

I recall enjoying rose hip jam from one of the central European
countries many years ago, and Delrosa rose hip syrup from my childhood,
and recently I have found a French source of reasonable rose hip jam.

But how to make it oneself? First you need to pick a heck of a lot of
rose hips! If you get over that hurdle then you have to separate the
outer bit which tastes and looks good from the hairy interior which
doesn't. And then you need to turn it into some sort of paste and make
it set.

I tried once and it was not a success - anyone out there been
successful?

Thanks

Merl

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jke Jke is offline

> Does anyone have any advice please for making rose hip products?
>
> I recall enjoying rose hip jam from one of the central European
> countries many years ago, and Delrosa rose hip syrup from my childhood,
> and recently I have found a French source of reasonable rose hip jam.
>
> But how to make it oneself? First you need to pick a heck of a lot of
> rose hips! If you get over that hurdle then you have to separate the
> outer bit which tastes and looks good from the hairy interior which
> doesn't. And then you need to turn it into some sort of paste and make
> it set.

As a child I used to pick rose hips, which my a mother made into a thick
jam. ISTR she used a food mill at some stage of the process, I presume to
get rid of the seeds.

Sorry not to remember more. I hope a web search can help you further.

> I tried once and it was not a success - anyone out there been
> successful?
>
> Thanks
>
> Merl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article rthur>,
ur (Merlin) wrote:

> Does anyone have any advice please for making rose hip products?
>
> I recall enjoying rose hip jam from one of the central European
> countries many years ago, and Delrosa rose hip syrup from my childhood,
> and recently I have found a French source of reasonable rose hip jam.
>
> But how to make it oneself? First you need to pick a heck of a lot of
> rose hips! If you get over that hurdle then you have to separate the
> outer bit which tastes and looks good from the hairy interior which
> doesn't. And then you need to turn it into some sort of paste and make
> it set.
>
> I tried once and it was not a success - anyone out there been
> successful?

I have not made it but I have more than a few recipes for it and would
love to make it. _ Joy of Cooking_, where I looked first, says to wait
until after the first frost to pick the hips and, of course, to be
careful not to use any that have been sprayed. After cooking, she says
to rub it through a fine sieve and then weigh the pulp for the purpose
of adjusting your recipe.

Jeanne Lesem, in _Preserving in Today's Kitchen_, says that at least 3/4
of the hips should be bright red. The rest should be mature but unripe.
She says to use scissors to remove the blossom ends.

In _Mes Confitures_, Christine Ferber discusses 2 methods. In the first
method, she removes the stems & caps and then cuts them in half
lengthwise, removing the seeds and hair by hand before cooking. In the
second method, she removes the stems & caps, cooks them, and then puts
them through a food mill several times using progressively finer disk
each time. Then she uses a sieve after that.

I hope these tips help.

Emma

Rose Syrup Luc Volders[_2_] Winemaking 2 08-06-2008 11:33 PM
Watermelon in rose-lime syrup Koko[_2_] General Cooking 0 15-07-2007 11:58 PM
Rose Hip Jelly Dwayne Preserving 9 15-11-2004 01:07 PM
Rose Syrup Thirsty Viking Winemaking 0 07-03-2004 01:33 AM