Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sandwich shop mystery

A couple of days ago, a colleague and I went to lunch at a new sandwich
shop near our office. The place is called Noshery, or something like
that. So, I order a roasted chicken breast sandwich since I saw Boar's
Head chicken breast on the menu. I asked for the sandwich with tomato on
rye.

When I was handed my sandwich, I asked where the ketchup was. I got a
quizzical look from the guy who prepared my sandwich and he said they
don't have ketchup? Says I: "no ketchup at all?" Says he: no.

So, I shrug and walk to a table where my colleague was seated and I
notice a condiments bar, so I help myself to some pickles. The bar also
includes hot sauce, relish, a few other items, that awful yellow
condiment, but no ketchup. Weird!

My sandwich was delicious. The chicken breast tasted great, and the rye
was great. My colleague raved about his "Thanksgiving turkey" sandwich,,
which was freshly roasted and sliced turkey on a long roll with
cranberry sauce, romaine lettuce, and a bit of mayo. He liked it so
much, that's what he got for lunch yesterday too.

So, says me to my colleague, looks like this is a takeout only place.
Says my colleague, "why?" Because it only has six small tables AND
there's no ketchup! He sighed!

Why in the world would a sandwich shop not have ketchup? Its a mystery
to me. I couldn't think of anything on the shop's menu that wouldn't
benefit by a bit of ketchup!

Sigh! I will go back, but just for takeout.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote

> Why in the world would a sandwich shop not have ketchup? Its a mystery
> to me. I couldn't think of anything on the shop's menu that wouldn't
> benefit by a bit of ketchup!
>
> Sigh! I will go back, but just for takeout.

I think that's weird, even if I don't want ketchup on a
chicken sandwich. *Surely* you can bring packets of
the stuff with you when you go so your friends don't
have to sigh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Stan Horwitz > wrote:

> When I was handed my sandwich, I asked where the ketchup was. I got a
> quizzical look from the guy who prepared my sandwich and he said they
> don't have ketchup? Says I: "no ketchup at all?" Says he: no.
>
> So, I shrug and walk to a table where my colleague was seated and I
> notice a condiments bar, so I help myself to some pickles. The bar also
> includes hot sauce, relish, a few other items, that awful yellow
> condiment, but no ketchup. Weird!

> Why in the world would a sandwich shop not have ketchup? Its a mystery
> to me. I couldn't think of anything on the shop's menu that wouldn't
> benefit by a bit of ketchup!

Stanley, dear heart, it is clear you need to adjust your modus operandi.
Truly, how much room would a wee bottle of ketchup occupy in a pocket,
be it pants or shirt. We can't always expect the world to accommodate
our needs, dear, but we can always be prepared!
-Barb, who enjoyed homemade chicken noodle soup last night * with Heinz
ketchup.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com - Comfort Food for Bob Pastorio, updated
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> A couple of days ago, a colleague and I went to lunch at a new sandwich
> shop near our office. The place is called Noshery, or something like
> that. So, I order a roasted chicken breast sandwich since I saw Boar's
> Head chicken breast on the menu. I asked for the sandwich with tomato on
> rye.
>
> When I was handed my sandwich, I asked where the ketchup was. I got a
> quizzical look from the guy who prepared my sandwich and he said they
> don't have ketchup? Says I: "no ketchup at all?" Says he: no.

Stan, maybe you should take bottle of your "fav' ketchup there, and
leave it on one of the tables with a note that says "Stan was here"
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> A couple of days ago, a colleague and I went to lunch at a new
> sandwich shop near our office. The place is called Noshery, or
> something like that. So, I order a roasted chicken breast sandwich
> since I saw Boar's Head chicken breast on the menu. I asked for the
> sandwich with tomato on rye.
>
> When I was handed my sandwich, I asked where the ketchup was. I got a
> quizzical look from the guy who prepared my sandwich and he said they
> don't have ketchup? Says I: "no ketchup at all?" Says he: no.
>
> So, I shrug and walk to a table where my colleague was seated and I
> notice a condiments bar, so I help myself to some pickles. The bar
> also includes hot sauce, relish, a few other items, that awful yellow
> condiment, but no ketchup. Weird!
>
> My sandwich was delicious. The chicken breast tasted great, and the
> rye was great. My colleague raved about his "Thanksgiving turkey"
> sandwich,, which was freshly roasted and sliced turkey on a long roll
> with cranberry sauce, romaine lettuce, and a bit of mayo. He liked it
> so much, that's what he got for lunch yesterday too.
>
> So, says me to my colleague, looks like this is a takeout only place.
> Says my colleague, "why?" Because it only has six small tables AND
> there's no ketchup! He sighed!
>
> Why in the world would a sandwich shop not have ketchup? Its a mystery
> to me. I couldn't think of anything on the shop's menu that wouldn't
> benefit by a bit of ketchup!
>
> Sigh! I will go back, but just for takeout.

Did the sandwich at least have mayo on it or something to cut down the
dryness? Personally, ketchup on roast chicken wouldn't be my preference,
but to each his own. Roast chicken on rye sounds wonderful, though. Did
they add cheese and lettuce or anything? My next question would be, was it
worth the price? Inquiring minds..... :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> A couple of days ago, a colleague and I went to lunch at a new sandwich
> shop near our office. The place is called Noshery, or something like
> that. So, I order a roasted chicken breast sandwich since I saw Boar's
> Head chicken breast on the menu. I asked for the sandwich with tomato on
> rye.
>
> When I was handed my sandwich, I asked where the ketchup was. I got a
> quizzical look from the guy who prepared my sandwich and he said they
> don't have ketchup? Says I: "no ketchup at all?" Says he: no.

Stan, maybe you should take bottle of your "fav' ketchup there, and
leave it on one of the tables with a note that says "Stan was here"
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 07:55:56 -0400, Stan Horwitz >
wrote:

>A couple of days ago, a colleague and I went to lunch at a new sandwich
>shop near our office. The place is called Noshery, or something like
>that. So, I order a roasted chicken breast sandwich since I saw Boar's
>Head chicken breast on the menu. I asked for the sandwich with tomato on
>rye.

>Why in the world would a sandwich shop not have ketchup? Its a mystery
>to me. I couldn't think of anything on the shop's menu that wouldn't
>benefit by a bit of ketchup!
>
>Sigh! I will go back, but just for takeout.

Unless they sell fries or meatloaf-type things, I can't imagine any
reason why they'd NEED to have ketchup... it's not usually used on
cold dishes. (I used to know a kid who loved ketchup and bologna
sandwiches, but I thought she was WEIRD!)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> Unless they sell fries or meatloaf-type things, I can't imagine any
> reason why they'd NEED to have ketchup... it's not usually used on
> cold dishes. (I used to know a kid who loved ketchup and bologna
> sandwiches, but I thought she was WEIRD!)

Its the opposite here - the local sandwiches places always shove those
little packets of ketchup into your baggie when they pack the damn
things, whether you ask for it or not (and have extra in baskets around
the counters). Blech to ketchup on a chicken or turkey sandwich.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - who is not a big ketchup fan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote:
> "Stan Horwitz" wrote
>
> > Why in the world would a sandwich shop not have ketchup? Its a mystery
> > to me. I couldn't think of anything on the shop's menu that wouldn't
> > benefit by a bit of ketchup!

> > Sigh! I will go back, but just for takeout.

> I think that's weird, even if I don't want ketchup on a
> chicken sandwich. **Surely* you can bring packets of
> the stuff with you when you go so your friends don't
> have to sigh.

Actually I don't believe that Stan didn't have his trusty quart Heinz
flask in his hip pocket... you know, that solid platinum one shaped
like a flattened old fashioned glass heinz ketchup bottle, custom made
by Tiffany! LOL

Yes, it is eerilly weird that a sandwich shop would have no ketchup.
I don't much care for ketchup with poultry, ham, salami, and other
cold cuts, but it's a must on a cold roast beef sammiche... in fact I
would want ketchup on the upper mayo on the lower, and horseradish
slathered in the middle.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote

> Stan, maybe you should take bottle of your "fav' ketchup there, and
> leave it on one of the tables with a note that says "Stan was here"

Haha! That's so funny. You can order Heinz ketchup with a
personalized label, wouldn't that be hilarious, Stan leaving bottles
all over Philly. Stan was here! Long live Heinz ketchup!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 5, 9:43?am, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> Stan Horwitz wrote:
> > A couple of days ago, a colleague and I went to lunch at a new sandwich
> > shop near our office. The place is called Noshery, or something like
> > that. So, I order a roasted chicken breast sandwich since I saw Boar's
> > Head chicken breast on the menu. I asked for the sandwich with tomato on
> > rye.

> > When I was handed my sandwich, I asked where the ketchup was. I got a
> > quizzical look from the guy who prepared my sandwich and he said they
> > don't have ketchup? Says I: "no ketchup at all?" Says he: no.

> Stan, maybe you should take bottle of your "fav' ketchup there, and
> leave it on one of the tables with a note that says "Stan was here"

Yesh, and change his name to "Stan Paladin - Have Heinz Will
Travel"... with a 57 pickle logo instead of a Buntline.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote
>
>> Stan, maybe you should take bottle of your "fav' ketchup there, and
>> leave it on one of the tables with a note that says "Stan was here"

> Haha! That's so funny. You can order Heinz ketchup with a
> personalized label, wouldn't that be hilarious, Stan leaving bottles
> all over Philly. Stan was here! Long live Heinz ketchup!

LOL. I didn't know they did the "personalized label" thing - but it's
for Stan, definitely

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> Yesh, and change his name to "Stan Paladin - Have Heinz Will
> Travel"... with a 57 pickle logo instead of a Buntline.

heh heh heh. Have to admit, every time I look at a bottle of Heinz
ketchup in the store I think of Stan

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:26:17 -0400, Peter A >
wrote:

>I know we just passed April 1, but ketchup on a chicken sandwich is too
>gross for even April fool.

So is ketchup on eggs. But people do it. YUK!

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 07:49:41 -0500, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Truly, how much room would a wee bottle of ketchup occupy in a pocket,
>be it pants or shirt

are you joking?....but then I don't leave the house without a gallon
bottle of Worcestershire sauce....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>but ketchup on a chicken sandwich is too
>gross

but isn't it wonder to be in a free country that WE can STILL choose
what we want! I didn't find that gross at all. I dip fries in
mayo. There...how was that for the grossness factor?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5 Apr 2007 07:09:32 -0700, "Sheldon" > wrote:

>Yes, it is eerilly weird that a sandwich shop would have no ketchup.
>I don't much care for ketchup with poultry, ham, salami, and other
>cold cuts, but it's a must on a cold roast beef sammiche... in fact I
>would want ketchup on the upper mayo on the lower, and horseradish
>slathered in the middle.
>
>Sheldon

Interesting combo. No tomato or lettuce?

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 10:45:03 -0400, Ward Abbott >
wrote:

>On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:26:17 -0400, Peter A >
>wrote:
>
>>but ketchup on a chicken sandwich is too
>>gross

>but isn't it wonder to be in a free country that WE can STILL choose
>what we want! I didn't find that gross at all. I dip fries in
>mayo. There...how was that for the grossness factor?

It is interesting that the choices we make are so different. The mayo
with fries doesn't bother me even though I prefer ketchup. But on a
chicken sandwich it sounds ugly. Actually for fries I like a seafood
sauce. Any grosser? lol

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote
>>
>>> Stan, maybe you should take bottle of your "fav' ketchup there, and
>>> leave it on one of the tables with a note that says "Stan was here"

>> Haha! That's so funny. You can order Heinz ketchup with a
>> personalized label, wouldn't that be hilarious, Stan leaving bottles
>> all over Philly. Stan was here! Long live Heinz ketchup!

> LOL. I didn't know they did the "personalized label" thing - but it's for
> Stan, definitely

They started this thing a number of years back ... one day I
noticed that instead of Heinz Ketchup on the label, it said
Try me on your fries. Something like that. Then I noticed they
had, other quips. I actually brought my bottle to a New Year's
party, we all had a laugh about it, no one else had noticed them,
either. They had a contest, these are other labels people came
up with.

http://www.heinz.com/Promotion.aspx

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> A couple of days ago, a colleague and I went to lunch at a new sandwich
> shop near our office.

> Why in the world would a sandwich shop not have ketchup? Its a mystery
> to me. I couldn't think of anything on the shop's menu that wouldn't
> benefit by a bit of ketchup!

1. Take your own bottle. I doubt they will charge you a corkage fee.

2. I can't imagine any sandwich other than meatloaf that would taste
better with ketchup. Sorry, Stan! <g, d, r>

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz > wrote in
:

> Why in the world would a sandwich shop not have ketchup?
> Its a mystery to me. I couldn't think of anything on the
> shop's menu that wouldn't benefit by a bit of ketchup!

can't you take your own ketchup in a small bottle? that's
what my friend in NYC does with the maple syrup i send him. i
sent one of those novelty sample bottles & a pint of syrup, he
refills the pocket size bottle as needed.
lee
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:26:17 -0400, Peter A >
> wrote:
>

>> I know we just passed April 1, but ketchup on a chicken sandwich is too
>> gross for even April fool.

> So is ketchup on eggs. But people do it. YUK!

NO, NO, NO! not "on" them - on the side - sheesh!

Never figured out why some folks like maple syrup with their bacon either

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - grinning

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> They started this thing a number of years back ... one day I
> noticed that instead of Heinz Ketchup on the label, it said
> Try me on your fries. Something like that. Then I noticed they
> had, other quips. I actually brought my bottle to a New Year's
> party, we all had a laugh about it, no one else had noticed them,
> either. They had a contest, these are other labels people came
> up with.
>
> http://www.heinz.com/Promotion.aspx

I liked the "Take me to your Burger" one heh heh heh

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:26:17 -0400, Peter A >
> wrote:
>

> >I know we just passed April 1, but ketchup on a chicken sandwich is too
> >gross for even April fool.

> So is ketchup on eggs. But people do it. YUK!
>
> Lou

Ketchup and mayo on hard boiled eggs... ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ward Abbott > wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:26:17 -0400, Peter A >
> wrote:
>
> >but ketchup on a chicken sandwich is too
> >gross

> but isn't it wonder to be in a free country that WE can STILL choose
> what we want! I didn't find that gross at all. I dip fries in
> mayo. There...how was that for the grossness factor?

Fries go in Ranch Dressing...
So do fried pickle chips!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote
>
> > Nancy Young wrote:
> >> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote

> >> Haha! That's so funny. You can order Heinz ketchup with a
> >> personalized label, wouldn't that be hilarious, Stan leaving bottles
> >> all over Philly. Stan was here! Long live Heinz ketchup!

> > LOL. I didn't know they did the "personalized label" thing - but it's for
> > Stan, definitely

> They started this thing a number of years back ... one day I
> noticed that instead of Heinz Ketchup on the label, it said
> Try me on your fries. Something like that. Then I noticed they
> had, other quips. I actually brought my bottle to a New Year's
> party, we all had a laugh about it, no one else had noticed them,
> either. They had a contest, these are other labels people came
> up with.
>
> http://www.heinz.com/Promotion.aspx
>
> nancy

Too cute! :-)

Tomato ketchup (and tomato paste) is a good, concentrated source of
Lycopenes so actually has a nutritional aspect to it... or so I have
read:

http://1stholistic.com/Nutrition/vkb/lycopene.htm
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> Why in the world would a sandwich shop not have ketchup? Its a mystery
> to me. I couldn't think of anything on the shop's menu that wouldn't
> benefit by a bit of ketchup!

I just did a mental inventory of the sandwich shops I frequent.
None have ketchup, unless they also serve french fries. The shops
without a deep frier don't have ketchup or fry sauce.

Ketchup is good on meatloaf or roastbeef, but I think fresh
tomatoes and pickles cover the whole tomato/vinegar requirement
on other sandwiches.

Do the major sub chains offer ketchup? Not that they're indicative
of better sandwich shops, but I figure they cater to the same
type of 'mericans who put ketchup on hotdogs. I don't think
Subway has ketchup.

Jnospam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jnospam > wrote:

>I just did a mental inventory of the sandwich shops I frequent.
>None have ketchup, unless they also serve french fries. The shops
>without a deep frier don't have ketchup or fry sauce.

What is "fry sauce" ??

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope > wrote:
> Jnospam > wrote:
> >None have ketchup, unless they also serve french fries. The shops
> >without a deep frier don't have ketchup or fry sauce.

> What is "fry sauce" ??

Sort of a mix of ketchup and mayonnaise. It is common in Utah,
Idaho, and Eastern Oregon. Some big fast food chains even
stock it in these areas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fry_sauce

Jnospam

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Stan Horwitz > wrote:

> Why in the world would a sandwich shop not have ketchup? Its a mystery
> to me. I couldn't think of anything on the shop's menu that wouldn't
> benefit by a bit of ketchup!

Having read all the other responses (24 at this point), I guess I have a
darker take on this. I recall reading recently (maybe even here!) that
ketchup bottles are notorious for housing really old and possibly
contaminated product at the bottom of the bottom because shop employees
keep filling half-full bottles. That would leave ketchup packets as a
safer option. So.... maybe people were just stealing all the ketchup
packets? Isn't that why so many fast food places make customers pump
their own ketchup into those little paper cups? Anyway, that's my weird
hypothesis. But I hope it's just that the shop thinks ketchup just
isn't necessary.

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jnospam > wrote:

>Steve Pope > wrote:

>> What is "fry sauce" ??

>Sort of a mix of ketchup and mayonnaise. It is common in Utah,
>Idaho, and Eastern Oregon. Some big fast food chains even
>stock it in these areas.

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fry_sauce

Wokay thanks. (Sounds a bit gross, but on the other hand
I sometimes like Russian dressing.)

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' >
> :
>

>> Stanley, dear heart, it is clear you need to adjust your modus
>> operandi. Truly, how much room would a wee bottle of ketchup occupy
>> in a pocket, be it pants or shirt. We can't always expect the world
>> to accommodate our needs, dear, but we can always be prepared!
>> -Barb, who enjoyed homemade chicken noodle soup last night * with
>> Heinz ketchup.

> ROFL... Your response to Stanley reminds me of one of those
> commercials. Usually woman (B) responds to woman (A) about some
> health issue and yanks a bottle of salad dressing she has stashed in
> her purse. I dunno. Clanking around with condiments in a purse or
> back pack strikes me as funny. OTOH, I am easily amused
>
> Michael

My oldest brother always brings his own hot sauce to restaurants. It's yet
another reason to avoid being around him.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> Lou Decruss wrote:
> > On Thu, 5 Apr 2007 10:26:17 -0400, Peter A >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> I know we just passed April 1, but ketchup on a chicken sandwich is too
> >> gross for even April fool.

> > So is ketchup on eggs. But people do it. YUK!

> NO, NO, NO! not "on" them - on the side - sheesh!
>
> Never figured out why some folks like maple syrup with their bacon either

Ohhhhh... gods! I love to dip sausage and bacon in maple, but ONLY if we
are having waffles! ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > They started this thing a number of years back ... one day I
> > noticed that instead of Heinz Ketchup on the label, it said
> > Try me on your fries. Something like that. Then I noticed they
> > had, other quips. I actually brought my bottle to a New Year's
> > party, we all had a laugh about it, no one else had noticed them,
> > either. They had a contest, these are other labels people came
> > up with.
> >
> > http://www.heinz.com/Promotion.aspx
> >

> I liked the "Take me to your Burger" one heh heh heh

Ditto!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Lou Decruss > wrote:

> >> So is ketchup on eggs. But people do it. YUK!
> >>
> >> Lou

> > Ketchup and mayo on hard boiled eggs... ;-d

> Heck, I dated a guy who did peanut butter and mayo on eggs. Talk about odd.
>
> kili

Oh gods! <lol>

My mom and sister liked to make Lettuce sandwiches with peanut butter
and mayo! Never did appeal to me. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.