Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Another one: Whats the best meal you ever cooked...

.... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - who is looking for some fresh ideas here...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 30, 4:59 pm, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy - who is looking for some fresh ideas here...

Last thanksgiving. I finally got the turkey right, moist and well
seasoned, and the gravy wasn't burnt!

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?

Jill's Stuffed Flounder

4 flounder fillets, about 1-1/2 lbs. of like size
1/4 c. minced onion
1/4 c. minced celery
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-1/2 Tbs. mayonnaise
dash Tabasco sauce
dash cayenne pepper
dash salt
4 Tbs. butter
1/2 c. dried breadcrumbs
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
1 Tbs. lemon juice
6 oz. flaked crabmeat
2 oz. diced shrimp (or use canned baby shrimp)
2-3 Tbs. melted butter
Sweet ground paprika for colour
1/2 c. milk
vegetable cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350F. Saute onion, celery and garlic in 4 Tbs. butter until
translucent. Transfer to a mixing bowl and combine with breadcrumbs,
mayonnaise, dry mustard. Add crabmeat and shrimp, Tabasco, cayenne,
lemonjuice, salt, pepper. Blend well to make stuffing. Spray a 13X9 inch
baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Place 2 flounder fillets in the
dish. Spoon the crabmeat stuffing onto the center of the fillets, mounding
it up in the center. Split the remaining fillets in half lengthwise. Wrap
each of the two halves around the stuffing on top of the stuffed fillet,
covering the sides but leaving the stuffing visible in the center. Secure
overlapping ends with toothpicks if needed. Brush all over with melted
butter. Sprinkle with paprika. Pour the milk around the fish (this keeps
the fish moist during baking). Bake for 20-25 minutes until fish flakes
easily with a fork, brushing with melted butter about halfway through
cooking. Serves 2.

NOTE: I've also stuffed tilapia fillets in a similar manner since when I
came up with this dish flounder wasn't nearly as expensive as it is now and
tilapia continues to be the most inexpensive fillets I can buy. Any light
tasting white fish fillets will do.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy said...

> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?

I've impressed Presidents and other dignitaries with specially customized
[classified: SECRET] ham, Monterey jack cheese and spinach omelettes, for the
brief moment in time when I wore a chef's hat.

My green death tuna salad sandwiches AND my Mexcellent cheeseburgers always
get accolades.

For myself, it's hands down the Thai chicken satay with peanut dipping sauce

Surprisingly, on hidden camera, most begged for cheese on Ritz crackers.

What do they know that I don't? <g>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote:
> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy - who is looking for some fresh ideas here...

Somehow I don't think your looking for this one. I like it immensely, and my
parents loved it too when they were visiting. There was no point of them
begging for more, because what was served was all there was. Kids, on the
otherhand, would running from the room screaming if I had ever served it to
them. I knew better than to try, plus it would be too much work for larger
numbers of people.

It's fresh shucked oysters poached in some of their own liquor and butter,
with white wine, a touch of Tabasco and a touch of Angostora added. The
vegetable was wilted spinach with raisins, a small amount of garlic, and a
much bigger touch of Angostura added. And rice as the starch. Unfortunately,
there is no recipe for either... I eyeball it as I go, depending on the
amount I'm making. The balance of flavors in both the oysters and the
spinach is critical, using that odd combination of ingredients.

The hard part is shucking the oysters. Even though I'm quite proficient
doing it, I'm not about to do it and have someone turn their noses up
because they don't like shellfish.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wff_ng_7 wrote:
> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote:
>> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy - who is looking for some fresh ideas here...

> Somehow I don't think your looking for this one. I like it immensely,
> and my parents loved it too when they were visiting. There was no point
> of them begging for more, because what was served was all there was.
> Kids, on the otherhand, would running from the room screaming if I had
> ever served it to them. I knew better than to try, plus it would be too
> much work for larger numbers of people.
>
> It's fresh shucked oysters poached in some of their own liquor and
> butter, with white wine, a touch of Tabasco and a touch of Angostora
> added. The vegetable was wilted spinach with raisins, a small amount of
> garlic, and a much bigger touch of Angostura added. And rice as the
> starch. Unfortunately, there is no recipe for either... I eyeball it as
> I go, depending on the amount I'm making. The balance of flavors in both
> the oysters and the spinach is critical, using that odd combination of
> ingredients.
>
> The hard part is shucking the oysters. Even though I'm quite proficient
> doing it, I'm not about to do it and have someone turn their noses up
> because they don't like shellfish.

I'm really wanting some raw oysters now. A touch of tobasco and cracker
and a huge Dixie beer. (dating myself)

<sigh>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" > wrote:
> I'm really wanting some raw oysters now. A touch of tobasco and cracker
> and a huge Dixie beer. (dating myself)

Talk about turning a kid's stomach... RAW oysters! ;-) I love them though.

You must come from a difference region than me. Maybe I'd like a Rheingold
instead. I don't know Dixie but maybe you know Rheingold, at least from
their catchy jingle sung to Emile Waldteufel's Estudiantina waltz:

My beer is Rheingold the dry beer.
Think of Rheingold whenever you buy beer.
It's not bitter, not sweet, it's the extra dry treat
Won't you try extra dry Rheingold beer?

The tune is immediately recognizable if you were exposed to it.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?

I think the best I ever did was Beouf en Croute, serving size Beef
Wellingtons. My wife found the recipe in a french cook book and claimed to
have done all the shopping for ingredients, then left me to prepare it
while she went out. The basics were simple enough, roast a chunk of beef
tenrdeloin, cover it with pate wrap it in pastry, bake it and serve it with
a sauce. The problem was that it called for bits of other recipes, like
brown sauce, mushroom flavouring, see page such and such, There turned out
to be about a half down other recipes I had to use to make up the
ingredients for the dish I was cooking. I ended up faking a lot of those,
including using regular pie dough, which I had on hand, instead of puff
pastry. It was delicious.

A close second would be the braised lamb shanks with caramelized onions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"wff_ng_7" > wrote in message
> "ravenlynne" > wrote:
>> I'm really wanting some raw oysters now. A touch of tobasco and cracker
>> and a huge Dixie beer. (dating myself)

> Talk about turning a kid's stomach... RAW oysters! ;-) I love them though.
>
> You must come from a difference region than me. Maybe I'd like a Rheingold
> instead. I don't know Dixie but maybe you know Rheingold, at least from
> their catchy jingle sung to Emile Waldteufel's Estudiantina waltz:
>
> My beer is Rheingold the dry beer.
> Think of Rheingold whenever you buy beer.
> It's not bitter, not sweet, it's the extra dry treat
> Won't you try extra dry Rheingold beer?
>
> The tune is immediately recognizable if you were exposed to it.
> --
> wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

And as I sing it, I have visions of the Miss Rheingold posters on the D
train.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wff_ng_7 wrote:

> Somehow I don't think your looking for this one. I like it immensely,
> and my parents loved it too when they were visiting. There was no point
> of them begging for more, because what was served was all there was.
> Kids, on the otherhand, would running from the room screaming if I had
> ever served it to them. I knew better than to try, plus it would be too
> much work for larger numbers of people.

LOL. But I don't think our 3 y/o would run screaming from the room...
she is the least "picky eater" I know Do you know many 3 y/o's that
will eat snails in garlic sauce? ... and she walked up to me today and
asked for some olives to snack on! She eats just about anything we do,
including shellfish. Loves shrimp (clever girl) <VEG>

> It's fresh shucked oysters poached in some of their own liquor and
> butter, with white wine, a touch of Tabasco and a touch of Angostora
> added. The vegetable was wilted spinach with raisins, a small amount of
> garlic, and a much bigger touch of Angostura added. And rice as the
> starch. Unfortunately, there is no recipe for either... I eyeball it as
> I go, depending on the amount I'm making. The balance of flavors in both
> the oysters and the spinach is critical, using that odd combination of
> ingredients.
>
> The hard part is shucking the oysters. Even though I'm quite proficient
> doing it, I'm not about to do it and have someone turn their noses up
> because they don't like shellfish.

This sounds like its really worth a try, thanks for the suggestion.
Even tho' I'll have to wing it
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?

> Jill's Stuffed Flounder

<snipped rec>

Yeah, I have eyed this recipe of yours out for a while Jill. Time to try
it. Thanks!
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - who needs to get to the fishmongers soon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> Chatty Cathy >
> :
>
>> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?

> Mine is posted on the RFC website. I don't know why but every time I make
> the meal it seems just... well, perfect.

Which one? You've got five up there
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Chatty Cathy said...

> get accolades.
>
> For myself, it's hands down the Thai chicken satay with peanut dipping sauce

Heh. We love chicken satay too Andy. Make it regularly

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?

> I think the best I ever did was Beouf en Croute, serving size Beef
> Wellingtons.

<some snipping>

Yeah. Beef Wellington is great!

> A close second would be the braised lamb shanks with caramelized onions.

I am gonna try that one Dave. Thanks.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Mar 30, 4:59 pm, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
>> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy - who is looking for some fresh ideas here...

> Last thanksgiving. I finally got the turkey right, moist and well
> seasoned, and the gravy wasn't burnt!

That's good We only have turkey around Christmas time, max.
Its terrifically expensive here, and to be totally honest I am just as
happy with a roast chicken.
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Felice Friese" > wrote:
> And as I sing it, I have visions of the Miss Rheingold posters on the D
> train.

Unfortunately, Miss Rheingold was a little before my time. I only caught the
tail end of the Rheingold era after I became legal age.

There's a selection of old Miss Rheingold posters on the revival Rheingold
beer web site:

http://www.rheingoldbeer.com/beer/ar...rheingold.aspx

There's even one that is food related:

http://tinyurl.com/2vqujo

I think she's getting ready to make Brunswick stew! ;-)

(You might have to go in through the main URL of www.rheingoldbeer.com first
to get through the age filter.)

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote:
> LOL. But I don't think our 3 y/o would run screaming from the room... she
> is the least "picky eater" I know Do you know many 3 y/o's that will
> eat snails in garlic sauce? ... and she walked up to me today and asked
> for some olives to snack on! She eats just about anything we do, including
> shellfish. Loves shrimp (clever girl) <VEG>

Personally, I think most of the "picky eater" thing is brought on by the
parents. Once my brother was visiting with his family. My brother, nephew
and I ate steamed blue crabs (cooked by me). I knew my sister-in-law and my
twin nieces were not going to eat that. So I suggested some other kind of
seafood they might like at the big seafood market we were at. I thought
everyone eats shrimp. My sister-in-law said "I don't eat seafood".
Immediately afterwards I hear an echo as the twins chime in in unison: "We
don't eat seafood". Gee, I wonder where they got that from? ;-)

> This sounds like its really worth a try, thanks for the suggestion. Even
> tho' I'll have to wing it

I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but both of those things (the oysters
and the spinach) I made up by myself, and I don't measure, I just eyeball
it. For the oysters, after poaching them, I take them out and reduce the
sauce a bit. I made that recipe up all on my own. For the spinach, it was
roughly inspired by a tapas selection I ate at a local restaurant (Jaleo, in
the Penn Quarter, DC). It was years ago (shortly after it opened in the
early 1990s). I just looked at their web site, and the closest thing on the
menu now (I'm not sure it's the same item) is called "Espinacas a la
Catalana" and the description of it says "Spinach sautéed with pine nuts,
raisins and apples". Their web site is at www.jaleo.com.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 30, 3:59 pm, Chatty Cathy > wrote:
> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy - who is looking for some fresh ideas here...

My favorite "The One" meal is Creole-style stuff eggplant with shrimp,
crabmeat, ham, bread cubes, etc., etc., that I found in The Frugal
Gourmet Cooks With Wine, several years ago. Some roasted asparagus and
carrots braised with garlic, ginger and dill weed make it a pretty
colorful plate.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 31, 11:31 am, "wff_ng_7" > wrote:

> It's fresh shucked oysters poached in some of their own liquor and butter,
> with white wine, a touch of Tabasco and a touch of Angostora added. The
> vegetable was wilted spinach with raisins, a small amount of garlic, and a
> much bigger touch of Angostura added. And rice as the starch. Unfortunately,
> there is no recipe for either... I eyeball it as I go, depending on the
> amount I'm making. The balance of flavors in both the oysters and the
> spinach is critical, using that odd combination of ingredients.

I agree, oysters and spinach are a great combination. I do a different
version, but the spirit is there. I briefly saute fresh spinach in
olive oil and garlic, grind in a little fresh nutmeg along with pepper
flakes and S&P, put the oysters on top, and broil the whole thing.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wff_ng_7 wrote on Sat, 31 Mar 2007 17:01:36 GMT:

wn> "ravenlynne" > wrote:
??>> I'm really wanting some raw oysters now. A touch of
??>> tobasco and cracker and a huge Dixie beer. (dating myself)

wn> Talk about turning a kid's stomach... RAW oysters! ;-) I
wn> love them though.

wn> You must come from a difference region than me. Maybe I'd
wn> like a Rheingold instead. I don't know Dixie but maybe you
wn> know Rheingold, at least from their catchy jingle sung to
wn> Emile Waldteufel's Estudiantina waltz:

wn> My beer is Rheingold the dry beer.
wn> Think of Rheingold whenever you buy beer.
wn> It's not bitter, not sweet, it's the extra dry treat
wn> Won't you try extra dry Rheingold beer?

The stuff was worse than Budweiser, IMHO, and best drunk with
ice crystals forming. Weren't they the company that had a beauty
contest where they selected an identical "Miss Rheingold" every
year?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message

> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy - who is looking for some fresh ideas here...

A stuffed pork loin. I've posted links to my preparation with pictures on
the Kamado forum.

Once, I was smoking some for a family party. Unknown to me, one of the
guests was a vegetarian. The smell must have gotten to him, because he came
outside to "help" me, asked all sorts of questions about the stuffing,
preparation, cooking times, et cetera.
Next thing we knew, he had a finished one serving, and was back for seconds.
So much for his vegetarianism. ;-)

BOB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Chatty Cathy said...

For me, it's simple shrimp saute'.

I just take fresh, peeled shrimp and put aside.
In the skillet, I mix butter and olive oil (about 2 parts oil to one
part butter), and single clove of pressed garlic.

Get that nice and sizzling and add the shrimp. Quickly sprinkle on some
salt free lemon pepper and dried dill weed.

Toss the shrimps around gently with a spatula until they are just pink
overall. Only takes a minute or two.

Serve as is, or with some steamed veggies, or over rice cooked in stock.

I like to eat them by themselves, or let them cool and add to a salad.
Dad will snarf all of these I can serve and so will guests!

Also makes a good item to add to Omelets with a bit of Jack cheese.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wff_ng_7 wrote:

> Personally, I think most of the "picky eater" thing is brought on by the
> parents. Once my brother was visiting with his family. My brother,
> nephew and I ate steamed blue crabs (cooked by me). I knew my
> sister-in-law and my twin nieces were not going to eat that. So I
> suggested some other kind of seafood they might like at the big seafood
> market we were at. I thought everyone eats shrimp. My sister-in-law said
> "I don't eat seafood". Immediately afterwards I hear an echo as the
> twins chime in in unison: "We don't eat seafood". Gee, I wonder where
> they got that from? ;-)

Yup. I think you have a point there. DH and I have our likes and
dislikes, but we encourage her to try *all* the stuff we each like, if
you know what I mean?. For instance, DH is not big on cheese; I like it,
so I buy it, doesn't bother him. If I want to make something "cheesy"
now and again, I do, he will have something else... but she has decided
she likes cheese too. If she really doesn't like something we don't make
a big issue of it, but so far that hasn't been much However, I have
been warned by a few that she might "go off" stuff she likes now once
she goes to school - because it boils down to the same thing: peer
pressure. If Little Johnny tells her he doesn't like crab (or whatever)
she may change her mind. I sincerely hope not

> I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but both of those things (the
> oysters and the spinach) I made up by myself, and I don't measure, I
> just eyeball it. For the oysters, after poaching them, I take them out
> and reduce the sauce a bit. I made that recipe up all on my own. For the
> spinach, it was roughly inspired by a tapas selection I ate at a local
> restaurant (Jaleo, in the Penn Quarter, DC). It was years ago (shortly
> after it opened in the early 1990s). I just looked at their web site,
> and the closest thing on the menu now (I'm not sure it's the same item)
> is called "Espinacas a la Catalana" and the description of it says
> "Spinach sautéed with pine nuts, raisins and apples". Their web site is
> at www.jaleo.com.

Thanks for the ideas anyway - and the link. I have gleaned a fairly good
idea where to start, so I'll "experiment". Hey, that's all part of the
fun isn't it?
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> For me, it's simple shrimp saute'.

<some snipping>

Heck, you're preaching to the choir here. I adore shrimp almost anyway,
anyhow
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:

> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?

The best single dish may have been the lamb chops stuffed with
oysters and topped with anchovy butter.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Get that nice and sizzling and add the shrimp. Quickly sprinkle on some
> salt free lemon pepper and dried dill weed.
>
> Toss the shrimps around gently with a spatula until they are just pink
> overall. Only takes a minute or two.
>
> Serve as is, or with some steamed veggies, or over rice cooked in stock.
>
> I like to eat them by themselves, or let them cool and add to a salad.
> Dad will snarf all of these I can serve and so will guests!
>
> Also makes a good item to add to Omelets with a bit of Jack cheese.

I love shrimp. It is versatile and always delicious.

I have made some really good meals at home with shrimp, but the all time
best restaurant meal I ever had was a shrimp dish. IIRC it was called
Shrimp Barcelona. It was sautéed red pepper, green onion, tomato, shrimp,
lots of garlic, and cilantro wit a bit of wine. I drove my wife crazy. I
had oohing and awing with every mouthful in the restaurant, all the way
home and all evening.

I always enjoy BBQ shrimp. I soak them in a marinade of olive oil, lime
juice, lots of salt, some pepper, hot sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, parsley
and hot sauce. I prefer to marinate and cook them in the shell. It is
messier to eat, but they taste so much better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> > For me, it's simple shrimp saute'.

> <some snipping>
>
> Heck, you're preaching to the choir here. I adore shrimp almost anyway,
> anyhow

Ditto... :-)

It's one of the few foods I have a real passion for!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?
>
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy - who is looking for some fresh ideas here...

Everyone says my meat loaf rocks.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Chatty Cathy wrote:
> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy - who is looking for some fresh ideas here...

Porterhouse on the grill, patio potatoes (potatoes, peppers, garlic
and onions grilled in packets), fresh asparagus and fresh homemade
garlic bread. Bass Ale in bottles. (The first time I cooked for
DH.) Haven't been able to cook a steak as well since!

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wff_ng_7 wrote:
> "ravenlynne" > wrote:
>> I'm really wanting some raw oysters now. A touch of tobasco and
>> cracker and a huge Dixie beer. (dating myself)

> Talk about turning a kid's stomach... RAW oysters! ;-) I love them though.
>
> You must come from a difference region than me. Maybe I'd like a
> Rheingold instead. I don't know Dixie but maybe you know Rheingold, at
> least from their catchy jingle sung to Emile Waldteufel's Estudiantina
> waltz:
>
> My beer is Rheingold the dry beer.
> Think of Rheingold whenever you buy beer.
> It's not bitter, not sweet, it's the extra dry treat
> Won't you try extra dry Rheingold beer?
>
> The tune is immediately recognizable if you were exposed to it.

Umm. No. LOL.

I'm from New Orleans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Dave Smith > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>>

>>> Get that nice and sizzling and add the shrimp. Quickly sprinkle on some
>>> salt free lemon pepper and dried dill weed.
>>>
>>> Toss the shrimps around gently with a spatula until they are just pink
>>> overall. Only takes a minute or two.
>>>
>>> Serve as is, or with some steamed veggies, or over rice cooked in stock.
>>>
>>> I like to eat them by themselves, or let them cool and add to a salad.
>>> Dad will snarf all of these I can serve and so will guests!
>>>
>>> Also makes a good item to add to Omelets with a bit of Jack cheese.

>> I love shrimp. It is versatile and always delicious.
>>
>> I have made some really good meals at home with shrimp, but the all time
>> best restaurant meal I ever had was a shrimp dish. IIRC it was called
>> Shrimp Barcelona. It was sautéed red pepper, green onion, tomato, shrimp,
>> lots of garlic, and cilantro wit a bit of wine. I drove my wife crazy. I
>> had oohing and awing with every mouthful in the restaurant, all the way
>> home and all evening.
>>
>> I always enjoy BBQ shrimp. I soak them in a marinade of olive oil, lime
>> juice, lots of salt, some pepper, hot sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, parsley
>> and hot sauce. I prefer to marinate and cook them in the shell. It is
>> messier to eat, but they taste so much better.

> Hm. Guess I will really have to try that some time...
> To date, I always peel shrimp before cooking it.
>
> Hot and fast seems to be the key to the perfect shrimp, just like the
> perfect steak. :-)

There's a restaraunt in New Orleans that I used to go to all the time
called Deannie's and they had some of the best BBq shrimp I've ever
had...spicy, hot...they bring you a big bowl of them, a huge loaf of
french bread for sopping the juice and a roll of paper towels. That and
a large Abita Amber and I'm off to heaven.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "Sheldon" > wrote:
>
>> Chatty Cathy wrote:
>>> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Chatty Cathy - who is looking for some fresh ideas here...

>> Everyone says my meat loaf rocks.
>>
>> Sheldon

> I've not made one in years...
>
> I kinda got ruined by dad's veggie/meatloafs and mom's onion meat loafs!
> More onions than meat. :-P And the onions were still crunchy and
> undercooked (sorry mom!).
>
> It just kinda ruined me for the entire concept, but I'm always willing
> to re-learn. ;-)

I put onions, celery, parm cheese, tomato paste, egg and bread crumb,
then shape them smallish...a pound and a half of beef makes four to five
mini meatloaves. Top with ketchup and bake until done and the ketchup
on top is carmelized. We all like the ends of meatloaf the best...this
way we all have ends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I always enjoy BBQ shrimp. I soak them in a marinade of olive oil, lime
> juice, lots of salt, some pepper, hot sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, parsley
> and hot sauce. I prefer to marinate and cook them in the shell. It is
> messier to eat, but they taste so much better.

Agree, they are much tastier when cooked in the shell.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> ravenlynne > wrote:
>
>> wff_ng_7 wrote:
>>> Talk about turning a kid's stomach... RAW oysters! ;-) I love them though.
>>>
>>> You must come from a difference region than me. Maybe I'd like a
>>> Rheingold instead. I don't know Dixie but maybe you know Rheingold, at
>>> least from their catchy jingle sung to Emile Waldteufel's Estudiantina
>>> waltz:
>>>
>>> My beer is Rheingold the dry beer.
>>> Think of Rheingold whenever you buy beer.
>>> It's not bitter, not sweet, it's the extra dry treat
>>> Won't you try extra dry Rheingold beer?
>>>
>>> The tune is immediately recognizable if you were exposed to it.
>>>

>> Umm. No. LOL.
>>
>> I'm from New Orleans.

> I'd have to be REALLY drunk to try raw oysters. <shudder>
> Granted, I DO like sashimi, but there is just something really gross
> about raw Oysters, and I can eat and enjoy raw eggs.
>
> Hypocritical maybe, but them's the breaks. <G>

To each their own. I don't like sashimi. Not even fresh at the fish
market in tokyo. It's neat to be able to eat sushi and drink sake at 7
am there though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> >

> > Get that nice and sizzling and add the shrimp. Quickly sprinkle on some
> > salt free lemon pepper and dried dill weed.
> >
> > Toss the shrimps around gently with a spatula until they are just pink
> > overall. Only takes a minute or two.
> >
> > Serve as is, or with some steamed veggies, or over rice cooked in stock.
> >
> > I like to eat them by themselves, or let them cool and add to a salad.
> > Dad will snarf all of these I can serve and so will guests!
> >
> > Also makes a good item to add to Omelets with a bit of Jack cheese.

> I love shrimp. It is versatile and always delicious.
>
> I have made some really good meals at home with shrimp, but the all time
> best restaurant meal I ever had was a shrimp dish. IIRC it was called
> Shrimp Barcelona. It was sautéed red pepper, green onion, tomato, shrimp,
> lots of garlic, and cilantro wit a bit of wine. I drove my wife crazy. I
> had oohing and awing with every mouthful in the restaurant, all the way
> home and all evening.
>
> I always enjoy BBQ shrimp. I soak them in a marinade of olive oil, lime
> juice, lots of salt, some pepper, hot sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, parsley
> and hot sauce. I prefer to marinate and cook them in the shell. It is
> messier to eat, but they taste so much better.

Hm. Guess I will really have to try that some time...
To date, I always peel shrimp before cooking it.

Hot and fast seems to be the key to the perfect shrimp, just like the
perfect steak. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Sheldon" > wrote:

> Chatty Cathy wrote:
> > ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?
> >
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy - who is looking for some fresh ideas here...

> Everyone says my meat loaf rocks.
>
> Sheldon

I've not made one in years...

I kinda got ruined by dad's veggie/meatloafs and mom's onion meat loafs!
More onions than meat. :-P And the onions were still crunchy and
undercooked (sorry mom!).

It just kinda ruined me for the entire concept, but I'm always willing
to re-learn. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ravenlynne > wrote:

> wff_ng_7 wrote:
> > "ravenlynne" > wrote:
> >> I'm really wanting some raw oysters now. A touch of tobasco and
> >> cracker and a huge Dixie beer. (dating myself)

> > Talk about turning a kid's stomach... RAW oysters! ;-) I love them though.
> >
> > You must come from a difference region than me. Maybe I'd like a
> > Rheingold instead. I don't know Dixie but maybe you know Rheingold, at
> > least from their catchy jingle sung to Emile Waldteufel's Estudiantina
> > waltz:
> >
> > My beer is Rheingold the dry beer.
> > Think of Rheingold whenever you buy beer.
> > It's not bitter, not sweet, it's the extra dry treat
> > Won't you try extra dry Rheingold beer?
> >
> > The tune is immediately recognizable if you were exposed to it.
> >

> Umm. No. LOL.
>
> I'm from New Orleans.

I'd have to be REALLY drunk to try raw oysters. <shudder>
Granted, I DO like sashimi, but there is just something really gross
about raw Oysters, and I can eat and enjoy raw eggs.

Hypocritical maybe, but them's the breaks. <G>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Apr 2007 17:09:16 +0200, ravenlynne >
wrote:

>TammyM wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:59:30 +0200, Chatty Cathy
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?

>> 'Twas an anniversary dinner for my folks. I completely catered to
>> THEIR tastes which is as it should be. Scampi for her, porterhouse
>> steak for him. Rice pilaf for her, potatoes au gratin for him. To be
>> honest, I can't remember the rest, it was over 10 years ago (the 10th
>> anniversary of my father's death is coming up on April 10, may
>> perpetual light shine on my daddy.). What I do remember, as they were
>> walking away from the house, is him softly saying to my mother, "I
>> didn't realize what a great cook she is." That'll warm my cockles
>> forever.
>>
>> TammyM

>I know the feeling! The first christmas after I got married I cooked
>christmas dinner for my grandparents (who raised me). My grandmother
>called when they got home after dinner and told me that my grandfather
>said "that one one of the best meals that I've ever had..I didn't know
>she could cook like that". I almost cried..I never get compliments from
>my grandfather....

Same here from my father. He was old-school. But I knew he loved me,
and I'll bet you knew the same about your granddad. We were and are
blessed, Ravenlynne!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 22:59:30 +0200, Chatty Cathy
> > wrote:
>
>> ... I mean "The One" that had everyone begging for more?

> 'Twas an anniversary dinner for my folks. I completely catered to
> THEIR tastes which is as it should be. Scampi for her, porterhouse
> steak for him. Rice pilaf for her, potatoes au gratin for him. To be
> honest, I can't remember the rest, it was over 10 years ago (the 10th
> anniversary of my father's death is coming up on April 10, may
> perpetual light shine on my daddy.). What I do remember, as they were
> walking away from the house, is him softly saying to my mother, "I
> didn't realize what a great cook she is." That'll warm my cockles
> forever.
>
> TammyM

I know the feeling! The first christmas after I got married I cooked
christmas dinner for my grandparents (who raised me). My grandmother
called when they got home after dinner and told me that my grandfather
said "that one one of the best meals that I've ever had..I didn't know
she could cook like that". I almost cried..I never get compliments from
my grandfather....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"TammyM" > wrote

> 'Twas an anniversary dinner for my folks. I completely catered to
> THEIR tastes which is as it should be. Scampi for her, porterhouse
> steak for him. Rice pilaf for her, potatoes au gratin for him. To be
> honest, I can't remember the rest, it was over 10 years ago (the 10th
> anniversary of my father's death is coming up on April 10, may
> perpetual light shine on my daddy.). What I do remember, as they were
> walking away from the house, is him softly saying to my mother, "I
> didn't realize what a great cook she is." That'll warm my cockles
> forever.

You put a tear in my eye, what a nice story, Tammy.

nancy (actually does have two eyes)

Whats in a name [email protected] Tea 0 18-02-2009 04:42 PM
stuff to do with almond meal and flax meal Jackie Patti[_2_] Diabetic 6 17-11-2007 04:58 AM
Whats your favorite/favourite meal? researchowl General Cooking 8 24-08-2006 07:36 AM
Looking for P.A.N. Pre-Cooked White Corn Meal, 2 lb. Ginny General Cooking 1 05-05-2004 09:05 PM