Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ranges: Gas, electric or duel fuel?

Hi everyone

I'm just about to purchase a Rangemaster 110 classic, and I cant decide on
which fuel option to go for. I had always thought that duel fuel option
would be best, as a gas hobs are more flexible than electric, and electric
ovens are more consistent than gas.

However, I've just been offered a good deal on an all gas rangemaster which
I'm tempted by. Any views?

Cheers!

James

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James wrote on Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:08:47 GMT:

JV> I'm just about to purchase a Rangemaster 110 classic, and I
JV> cant decide on which fuel option to go for. I had always
JV> thought that duel fuel option would be best, as a gas hobs
JV> are more flexible than electric, and electric ovens are
JV> more consistent than gas.

JV> However, I've just been offered a good deal on an all gas
JV> rangemaster which I'm tempted by. Any views?

How well does the self-cleaning work? Gas ovens did not use to
be anything like electric in this feature that I find important.
The response of my thermostatted flat top range is not as fast
as gas perhaps but the ranges are smooth and stepless.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Varty > wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I'm just about to purchase a Rangemaster 110 classic, and I cant decide on
> which fuel option to go for. I had always thought that duel fuel option
> would be best, as a gas hobs are more flexible than electric, and electric
> ovens are more consistent than gas.
>
> However, I've just been offered a good deal on an all gas rangemaster which
> I'm tempted by. Any views?

Hi James,

I got a Rangemaster 110 Toledo last summer - all-electric as we have no
gas in the road. Wholeheartedly recommend it as a cooker, but if I could
have got the gas hob + electric oven version, that would have been even
better. However if it's a really good deal, then I would go for it! I'm
sure the gas ovens will be just fine, to be honest - it's a high quality
unit.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

(Debbie Wilson) wrote:

> I got a Rangemaster 110 Toledo last summer - all-electric as we have no
> gas in the road.

So you have no natural gas available, but why couldn't you have
propane?

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

> So you have no natural gas available, but why couldn't you have
> propane?

Nowhere close round here sells the refills, and our garden isn't big
enough for a gas tank!

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Varty" > wrote in message
> Hi everyone
>
> I'm just about to purchase a Rangemaster 110 classic, and I cant decide on
> which fuel option to go for. I had always thought that duel fuel option
> would be best, as a gas hobs are more flexible than electric, and electric
> ovens are more consistent than gas.
>
> However, I've just been offered a good deal on an all gas rangemaster
> which I'm tempted by. Any views?
>
> Cheers!
>
> James

Have you measured the highest temp. the oven will go? I wouldn't rely on the
gauge. What's the highest temp. a gas oven will heat to?
We're about to get a wall oven and will probably end up with a Dacor
electric, if it
passes the following test. I am a pizza fanatic. Our old GE will go to 550F
measured
with an oven thermometer inside on the grate. I'm going to have the vendor
heat the oven to maximum
with my thermometer to make certain it will hit 550F. Does anyone have an
oven that will
go higher than 550F?

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie Wilson) wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > So you have no natural gas available, but why couldn't you have
> > propane?

> Nowhere close round here sells the refills,

Where do you live, Antartica... there's practically nowhere on the
planet where propane is not *readily* available.

> and our garden isn't big enough for a gas tank!

Huh? Try growing tomatoes, I don't think you'll have any luck growing
propane tanks!

I always find it weird when someone claims they can't have a gas stove
because there's no natural gas on their street... but propane is
available everywhere and no appliance salesperson would neglect to
recommend propane... sure makes these posters sound incredibly
unbelieveable... especially when in a few days they'll be posting
their expertise in using gas grills. I can understand someone
claiming they can't cook with gas because they live in an apartment or
a condo and gas of any type is not permitted, but not the excuse that
there's no natural gas in their road. The vast majority of folks who
cook with gas use propane... it's patently dishonest to say there's no
propane available... I'd much sooner believe someone who claims they
don't have electric available at the road because that is quite
common, a lot of folks generate their own electric, with propane,
there's propane refrigeration too... but no propane available, then I
have to call you a liar.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

> Where do you live, Antartica... there's practically nowhere on the
> planet where propane is not *readily* available.

Nope, south London, and there isn't much call for LPG round here. Nobody
I know uses it in a domestic situation, most people in the area have gas
and electric, we only have electric.

> Huh? Try growing tomatoes, I don't think you'll have any luck growing
> propane tanks!

WTF are you on about?

> I always find it weird when someone claims they can't have a gas stove
> because there's no natural gas on their street... but propane is
> available everywhere and no appliance salesperson would neglect to
> recommend propane... sure makes these posters sound incredibly
> unbelieveable... especially when in a few days they'll be posting
> their expertise in using gas grills.
> I can understand someone
> claiming they can't cook with gas because they live in an apartment or
> a condo and gas of any type is not permitted, but not the excuse that
> there's no natural gas in their road. The vast majority of folks who
> cook with gas use propane... it's patently dishonest to say there's no
> propane available...

Not here in suburban London, UK - if you don't have gas in the road, the
alternative is electric, not to hook up a gas bottle, unless you want to
cook on a Calor gas stove.

> I'd much sooner believe someone who claims they
> don't have electric available at the road because that is quite
> common, a lot of folks generate their own electric, with propane,
> there's propane refrigeration too... but no propane available, then I
> have to call you a liar.

Well thanks, how nice. You seem to have a bee in your bonnet about this.
You find me a local propane gas supplier suitable for cookers, then -
Coulsdon, England. Not that I want one.
And as for generating electricity from propane, it sounds like you're
closer to living in Antarctica than me. I don't know anyone that is
without electricity, remote rural or urban!

Look, I was just replying to the OP - if you want to get on your high
horse about this particular subject, don't ride it near me, because I
really can't be arsed justifying myself to you!

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 29, 2:08?pm, (Debbie Wilson) wrote:
> Sheldon > wrote:
> > Where do you live, Antartica... there's practically nowhere on the
> > planet where propane is not *readily* available.

> Nope, south London, and there isn't much call for LPG round here.

Nonsense. There are probably more sources for propane in europe and
especially throughout the UK than anywhere else... most of your
automobiles are being converted to propane, google says there are
propane stations all over london.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

> Nonsense. There are probably more sources for propane in europe and
> especially throughout the UK than anywhere else... most of your
> automobiles are being converted to propane, google says there are
> propane stations all over london.

Righty-ho - whatever you say, Sheldon, you know best.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Sheldon > wrote:
>
> > Nonsense. There are probably more sources for propane in europe and
> > especially throughout the UK than anywhere else... most of your
> > automobiles are being converted to propane, google says there are
> > propane stations all over london.

> Righty-ho - whatever you say, Sheldon, you know best.

He has a vast knowledge of day-to-day goings on in London Town. All stored
up his arse.

He's good for the odd chuckle, though. He's basically a muppet.

Graeme

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Graeme...in London > wrote:

> He has a vast knowledge of day-to-day goings on in London Town. All stored
> up his arse.
>
> He's good for the odd chuckle, though. He's basically a muppet.

LOL, cheers.

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Graeme...in London > wrote:
>
> > He has a vast knowledge of day-to-day goings on in London Town. All

stored
> > up his arse.
> >
> > He's good for the odd chuckle, though. He's basically a muppet.

> LOL, cheers.

Debbie. Here's a snippet of his/it's wisdom...

Graeme...in London wrote:

> I would also like to point out that Seville orange is NOT "mostly for

jams".
> You do not make jam with oranges, you make marmalade.

You UNeducated WOP rectum

Jams, marmalades, jellies, all prserves... marmalade is definitely a
jam.

marmalade
[MAHR-muh-layd]
A preserve containing pieces of fruit rind, especially CITRUS FRUIT.
The original marmalades were made from quince - the Portuguese word
marmelada means "quince jam." Now, however, Seville oranges are the
most popular fruit for marmalades.

c Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Oxford

marmalade
$B!&(B noun
a preserve made from citrus fruit, especially bitter oranges.

- ORIGIN Portuguese marmelada 'quince jam', from marmelo
'quince'.
---

You dumbass london mother****er... Greezy Graeme...WOP ass****.

He's a ****in' arse. Don't let him get to ya'

He's also a yid. You could poke him with pointy Islamic sticks if you wanted
to.

Graeme

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Graeme...in London > wrote:

> Debbie. Here's a snippet of his/it's wisdom...

Delightful! As you say... good for the odd chuckle :-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:08:47 GMT, "James Varty" >
wrote:

>Hi everyone
>
>I'm just about to purchase a Rangemaster 110 classic, and I cant decide on
>which fuel option to go for. I had always thought that duel fuel option
>would be best, as a gas hobs are more flexible than electric, and electric
>ovens are more consistent than gas.
>
>However, I've just been offered a good deal on an all gas rangemaster which
>I'm tempted by. Any views?

Personally, I would RUN from any oven that doesn't self clean. I
hate oven cleaning that much.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie Wilson" > wrote in message
> Graeme...in London > wrote:
>
> > Debbie. Here's a snippet of his/it's wisdom...

> Delightful! As you say... good for the odd chuckle :-)

That's all right. He forgets rather often, too. Confuses
vulgarity with content. Confuses vomitous insult with
substance. Counts on others not addressing him so crassly. A
fine example to us all.

Not a chance. Sheldon can't pass up a chance to call Brits
by their most hated name, WOP. Ouch, I bet that really
hurts. Nothing is too low for the guy...

It was sad a decade ago. Now there's nothing left to be sad
about. He leads a pointless life only salvaged by his insane
and inane rantings here in RFC and a slew of cats he lets
wander on the food-preparation surfaces of his kitchen.
Presumably, he wipes their cute widdle feeties after they
use the litter box.

Ignore him unless you enjoy puncturing his bluster and
fatheadedness. Typing practice, at least. No great shakes to
demolish, as you've seen.

MC to Y&Y...

Graeme

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 30, 2:14�pm, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 21:08:47 GMT, "James Varty" >
> wrote:
>
> >Hi everyone

> >I'm just about to purchase a Rangemaster 110 classic, and I cant decide on
> >which fuel option to go for. I had always thought that duel fuel option
> >would be best, as a gas hobs are more flexible than electric, and electric
> >ovens are more consistent than gas.

> >However, I've just been offered a good deal on an all gas rangemaster which
> >I'm tempted by. Any views?

> Personally, I would RUN from any oven that doesn't self clean. * I
> hate oven cleaning that much.

Seems like a lot of money for such an antiquated appliance (~1,300
pounds), and it has no self clean feature, yuck!

Sheldon