Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Home made Q sauce

Yesterday we had some company and we smoked some baby back ribs.

I friend had furnished the following recipe for a home made BBQ sauce.

This is an amazing sauce - I made it the day before and then warmed it lightly
before serving.

The lemon & the black pepper gives the sauce a fantastic little "Bite"

The BBQ Sauce -

2 Cups Ketchup
½ Cup brown sugar
1 Tsp grated lemon zest
6 Tbs. fresh lemon juice or more to taste
2 Tbs. molasses
1Tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ Tsp liquid smoke
2 Tsp dry mustard, preferable Coleman's
1 Tsp Onion Powder
½ Tsp Black Pepper

Heat the sauce to a simmer over heat about 8 to 10 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri > wrote:

> 2 Cups Ketchup
> ½ Cup brown sugar
> 1 Tsp grated lemon zest
> 6 Tbs. fresh lemon juice or more to taste
> 2 Tbs. molasses
> 1Tbs Worcestershire sauce
> 1 ½ Tsp liquid smoke
> 2 Tsp dry mustard, preferable Coleman's
> 1 Tsp Onion Powder
> ½ Tsp Black Pepper

Sounds pretty good. Lemon juice instead of the more usual cider
vinegar is an interesting change. I normally go for a less
tomato-y sauce by replacing some of the ketchup with a fruit
jelly (plum, grape, or cherry all work) and by including brewed
coffee.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Pope" > wrote in message
> Dimitri > wrote:
>
>> 2 Cups Ketchup
>> ½ Cup brown sugar
>> 1 Tsp grated lemon zest
>> 6 Tbs. fresh lemon juice or more to taste
>> 2 Tbs. molasses
>> 1Tbs Worcestershire sauce
>> 1 ½ Tsp liquid smoke
>> 2 Tsp dry mustard, preferable Coleman's
>> 1 Tsp Onion Powder
>> ½ Tsp Black Pepper

> Sounds pretty good. Lemon juice instead of the more usual cider
> vinegar is an interesting change. I normally go for a less
> tomato-y sauce by replacing some of the ketchup with a fruit
> jelly (plum, grape, or cherry all work) and by including brewed
> coffee.
>
> Steve

Is liquid smoke a product whose label you're better off not reading?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message

<snip>

> Is liquid smoke a product whose label you're better off not reading?

YES!

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:

>Is liquid smoke a product whose label you're better off not reading?

Not at all, it contains nothing but condensed hickory smoke,
and is classified as a natural rather than an artificial
flavoring.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:

> JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:
>
> > Is liquid smoke a product whose label you're better off not
> > reading?

> Not at all, it contains nothing but condensed hickory smoke,
> and is classified as a natural rather than an artificial
> flavoring.

Alton Brown even showed you how to make your own if you're so inclined.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default User > wrote:

>Steve Pope wrote:

>> JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:

>> > Is liquid smoke a product whose label you're better off not
>> > reading?

>> Not at all, it contains nothing but condensed hickory smoke,
>> and is classified as a natural rather than an artificial
>> flavoring.

>Alton Brown even showed you how to make your own if you're so inclined.

I suspect having it classified as "natural" avoids them having
to prove it isn't carcinogenic, which they have to do with
"artificial" flavorings.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

What colour is it ?

Steve Pope wrote:
> JoeSpareBedroom > wrote:
>
>> Is liquid smoke a product whose label you're better off not reading?

> Not at all, it contains nothing but condensed hickory smoke,
> and is classified as a natural rather than an artificial
> flavoring.
>
> Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y > wrote: