Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pot rack question

In article >, Drew Cutter >
wrote:

> I'm about to put up a ceiling hung pot rack and a wall mounted rack. But
> , I'm having trouble with what to hang on ceiling rack and what to use
> the wall mounted rack. Heavy skillet or big pans on the ceiling and
> utensils on the wall or pots and pans ?

My first pot rack was hung from the ceiling. It was a long bar spanning
the length of a kitchen island. Now, I have two wall-mounted racks---
long bars again but, this time, supported by brackets that stick out
nearly a foot from the wall. That way, I can hang nearly any size pan
including my iron skillets. The only pots I do not hang are my huge
soup kettles, my Le Creuset Dutch oven and wok, and my pressure canner.
My husband hung all the racks (all extremely heavy Enclumes btw) for me,
bolting them securely to the ceiling joists and wall studs. If the
(hopefully sturdy) racks are bolted securely enough, it doesn't matter
what you hang from them.

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma Thackery wrote on 18 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> In article >, Drew Cutter >
> wrote:
>
> > I'm about to put up a ceiling hung pot rack and a wall mounted rack.
> > But , I'm having trouble with what to hang on ceiling rack and what
> > to use the wall mounted rack. Heavy skillet or big pans on the
> > ceiling and utensils on the wall or pots and pans ?

> My first pot rack was hung from the ceiling. It was a long bar
> spanning the length of a kitchen island. Now, I have two wall-mounted
> racks--- long bars again but, this time, supported by brackets that
> stick out nearly a foot from the wall. That way, I can hang nearly
> any size pan including my iron skillets. The only pots I do not hang
> are my huge soup kettles, my Le Creuset Dutch oven and wok, and my
> pressure canner. My husband hung all the racks (all extremely heavy
> Enclumes btw) for me, bolting them securely to the ceiling joists and
> wall studs. If the (hopefully sturdy) racks are bolted securely
> enough, it doesn't matter what you hang from them.
>
> Emma

Personally, I'd prefer not to have to lift heavy stuff up over my
head...so in my kitchen, the heavier cooking stuff would be hung on the
wall,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Drew Cutter wrote on 19 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> What type of bolts would i use for the ceiling ? Are their different
> lengths of hooks for hanging your pots and pans ?

I suggest the strongest drywall fasteners you can find or 2 inch lag bolts
directly into the ceiling joists...ask at the hardware store your pots and
pan might weight upwards of 150 lbs or more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 12:01:04 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

>Personally, I'd prefer not to have to lift heavy stuff up over my
>head...so in my kitchen, the heavier cooking stuff would be hung on the
>wall,

If it has a long handle, I'll put it on the ceiling rack. Personally,
I wouldn't put any pot on the wall. Stock pots, dutch ovens etc.
would be put away (although they are a good wall candidate if you have
the space). I'd have my colandar and other things like that on the
wall.

--
See return address to reply by email