FoodBanter.com

-   -   Cusabi? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/119217-cusabi.html)

Nancy Young 18-03-2007 09:39 PM

Cusabi?

I went to lunch today, one of the appetizers was a surprise
to me, fried pickles. Tempura coated. I didn't order them,
but I noticed they came with cusabi dipping sauce.

Just curious what that is. I'm thinking cumin/wasabi.
No doubt El Wrongo.

nancy

KevinS 18-03-2007 10:01 PM

Cusabi?

On Mar 18, 2007, Nancy Young wrote:

> I went to lunch today, one of the appetizers was a surprise
> to me, fried pickles. *Tempura coated. *I didn't order them,
> but I noticed they came with cusabi dipping sauce.

> Just curious what that is. *I'm thinking cumin/wasabi.
> No doubt El Wrongo.

Interesting - I haven't heard of it either. I did a quick search
and got lots of hits but most seemed to be menus which
said such-and-such a dish with cusabi sauce without
saying what it was. I'll be curious to hear what it is.

In the meantime, here was a brief discussion of fried pickles:

http://www.allyourbase-arebelongto.us/node/129

Pretty bare bones.

KevinS 18-03-2007 10:11 PM

Cusabi?

On Mar 18, 2007, KevinS wrote:

> Interesting - I haven't heard of it either. I did a quick search
> and got lots of hits but most seemed to be menus which
> said such-and-such a dish with cusabi sauce without
> saying what it was. I'll be curious to hear what it is.
>
> In the meantime, here was a brief discussion of fried pickles:
>
> http://www.allyourbase-arebelongto.us/node/129

Piggybacking - sorry. I saw a small number of posts on
Chowhound which suggested that it involves a combination
of cucumber and wasabi. Several posters said that Hidden
Valley makes a cusabi ranch, but I can't remember ever
seeing it. These posts were from 4 to 5 years ago.

Steve Pope 18-03-2007 10:13 PM

Cusabi?

KevinS > wrote:

> I saw a small number of posts on Chowhound which
> suggested that it involves a combination of cucumber
> and wasabi. Several posters said that Hidden Valley
> makes a cusabi ranch, but I can't remember ever seeing it.

Thanks. That makes wayyyy more sense than cumin and wasabi.

Steve

Nancy Young 18-03-2007 10:14 PM

Cusabi?

"KevinS" > wrote
>On Mar 18, 2007, Nancy Young wrote:

>> I went to lunch today, one of the appetizers was a surprise
>> to me, fried pickles. Tempura coated. I didn't order them,
>> but I noticed they came with cusabi dipping sauce.

>> Just curious what that is. I'm thinking cumin/wasabi.
>> No doubt El Wrongo.

>Interesting - I haven't heard of it either. I did a quick search
>and got lots of hits but most seemed to be menus which
>said such-and-such a dish with cusabi sauce without
>saying what it was. I'll be curious to hear what it is.

>In the meantime, here was a brief discussion of fried pickles:

>http://www.allyourbase-arebelongto.us/node/129

Oh! So it's something served with fried pickles. Funny.
I was in a pub type place, too. You know they all copy
from each other. Thanks.

nancy

Nancy Young 18-03-2007 10:14 PM

Cusabi?

"Steve Wertz" > wrote

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:39:38 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:
>
>> Just curious what that is. I'm thinking cumin/wasabi.
>> No doubt El Wrongo.

> Google tells me its...a secret! I'm not supposed to tell anybody
> else. Sorry!

Wait. It's that secret sauce I've heard so much about? Huh.

nancy

Nancy Young 18-03-2007 10:27 PM

Cusabi?

"KevinS" > wrote

> Piggybacking - sorry. I saw a small number of posts on
> Chowhound which suggested that it involves a combination
> of cucumber and wasabi. Several posters said that Hidden
> Valley makes a cusabi ranch, but I can't remember ever
> seeing it. These posts were from 4 to 5 years ago.

Ah! I did think cucumber (not that many food items come
to mind that start with cu), but I guess the sabi part kept
me on the spicy train of thought. Then the link you posted
said the stuff was cooling. Thanks, Kevin.

nancy

James Silverton[_1_] 18-03-2007 10:42 PM

Cusabi?

Nancy wrote on Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:27:26 -0400:

??>> Piggybacking - sorry. I saw a small number of posts on
??>> Chowhound which suggested that it involves a combination
??>> of cucumber and wasabi. Several posters said that Hidden
??>> Valley makes a cusabi ranch, but I can't remember ever
??>> seeing it. These posts were from 4 to 5 years ago.

NY> Ah! I did think cucumber (not that many food items come
NY> to mind that start with cu), but I guess the sabi part kept
NY> me on the spicy train of thought. Then the link you posted
NY> said the stuff was cooling. Thanks, Kevin.

A Google search came up with a menu defining "cusabi" sauce as
combined wasabi and cucumber. I've never heard of it before!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

aem 18-03-2007 10:47 PM

Cusabi?

On Mar 18, 1:27 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "KevinS" > wrote
>
> > Piggybacking - sorry. I saw a small number of posts on
> > Chowhound which suggested that it involves a combination
> > of cucumber and wasabi. Several posters said that Hidden
> > Valley makes a cusabi ranch, but I can't remember ever
> > seeing it. These posts were from 4 to 5 years ago.

> Ah! I did think cucumber (not that many food items come
> to mind that start with cu), but I guess the sabi part kept
> me on the spicy train of thought. Then the link you posted
> said the stuff was cooling. Thanks, Kevin.

I found this, attributed to TGIF:

FOR THE WASABI CUCUMBER RANCH DIP:
1/2 cup bottled ranch dressing (Hidden Valley is best)
1/4 cup cucumbers, peeled, seeded, minced
1 tablespoon milk
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
1 teaspoon wasabi powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 pinch cayenne pepper

Sounds interesting enough to save for future reference. We're going
to grow cukes this summer so we'll want to find new uses for them.
-aem

Nancy Young 18-03-2007 10:58 PM

Cusabi?

"aem" > wrote

> On Mar 18, 1:27 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> Ah! I did think cucumber (not that many food items come
>> to mind that start with cu), but I guess the sabi part kept
>> me on the spicy train of thought. Then the link you posted
>> said the stuff was cooling. Thanks, Kevin.
>>

> I found this, attributed to TGIF:
>
> FOR THE WASABI CUCUMBER RANCH DIP:
> 1/2 cup bottled ranch dressing (Hidden Valley is best)
> 1/4 cup cucumbers, peeled, seeded, minced
> 1 tablespoon milk
> 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
> 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
> 1 teaspoon wasabi powder
> 1/8 teaspoon salt
> 1 pinch cayenne pepper
>
> Sounds interesting enough to save for future reference. We're going
> to grow cukes this summer so we'll want to find new uses for them.

It does sound good. I'll keep it in mind. Sounds like something
that would be popularized by that type of restaurant.

Do you think it would go well with dead squirrel? I
think I have one in my dryer workings. It's been one
of those days with things going wrong, that just capped it.

nancy

Nancy Young 18-03-2007 11:13 PM

Cusabi?

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" >

>> I went to lunch today, one of the appetizers was a surprise
>> to me, fried pickles. Tempura coated. I didn't order them,
>> but I noticed they came with cusabi dipping sauce.
>>
>> Just curious what that is. I'm thinking cumin/wasabi.
>> No doubt El Wrongo.

> IIRC it is cucumber and wasabi. Google it. There are probably thousands
> of variations on it. Are you sure those were pickles and not cucumbers?

They said pickles. I assumed pickled cucumber.

I did google, but I googled define cusabi, just got references to
it. Should have googled more. I figured everyone else would
know what it was if I asked.

nancy

MareCat 18-03-2007 11:28 PM

Cusabi?

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" >

>>> I went to lunch today, one of the appetizers was a surprise
>>> to me, fried pickles. Tempura coated. I didn't order them,
>>> but I noticed they came with cusabi dipping sauce.
>>>
>>> Just curious what that is. I'm thinking cumin/wasabi.
>>> No doubt El Wrongo.

>> IIRC it is cucumber and wasabi. Google it. There are probably thousands
>> of variations on it. Are you sure those were pickles and not cucumbers?

> They said pickles. I assumed pickled cucumber.

I've had fried pickles at lots of places. Both the coins and the spears. (I
prefer the coins; with the spears, the coating seems to pull off in one
piece when you bite into each spear. Plus, you get more coating per pickle
ratio with the coins.) Good stuff, especially when paired with a BBQ ranch
or chipotle ranch dipping sauce.

This is the first time I've heard of cusabi, though...

Mary

Kate Connally 19-03-2007 04:11 PM

Cusabi?

Nancy Young wrote:

> I went to lunch today, one of the appetizers was a surprise
> to me, fried pickles. Tempura coated. I didn't order them,
> but I noticed they came with cusabi dipping sauce.
>
> Just curious what that is. I'm thinking cumin/wasabi.
> No doubt El Wrongo.
>
> nancy

These 2 recipes came up on a google search for
"recipe for cusabi sauce"

Cucumber Wasabi Vinaigrette

1/2 cucumber
1 Tbsp. wasabi
1/4 cup light soy
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/4 cup sesame oil

Mix together with a hand blender (or blender) the cucumber, wasabi,
light soy, rice wine vinegar, canola oil and sesame oil.

From: http://www.louisianaseafood.com/recipes-fish-tuna.html
=====

Cucumber, Wasabi and Ginger Salsa Dip

1/2 Cucumber, peeled, de-seeded and diced
1 thumb-sized lump of Stem Ginger, finely chopped or grated
The juice of 1/2 a Lemon
1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1/2 teaspoon Wasabi Paste (more or less to taste)
2 teaspoons runny Honey
2 Spring Onions, finely sliced
1/2 cup (160ml) Greek Yoghurt (optional)

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl, adjusting the wasabi to taste.
This dip is supposed to be like a chunky salsa but it's equally as good
with the Greek yoghurt if you like your dips to be a bit stickier.

From:
http://www.kettlefoods.co.uk/site/We...20&detailId=14

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

blake murphy 19-03-2007 06:43 PM

Cusabi?

On Sun, 18 Mar 2007 17:58:59 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"aem" > wrote
>
>> On Mar 18, 1:27 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>>> Ah! I did think cucumber (not that many food items come
>>> to mind that start with cu), but I guess the sabi part kept
>>> me on the spicy train of thought. Then the link you posted
>>> said the stuff was cooling. Thanks, Kevin.
>>>

>> I found this, attributed to TGIF:
>>
>> FOR THE WASABI CUCUMBER RANCH DIP:
>> 1/2 cup bottled ranch dressing (Hidden Valley is best)
>> 1/4 cup cucumbers, peeled, seeded, minced
>> 1 tablespoon milk
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
>> 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
>> 1 teaspoon wasabi powder
>> 1/8 teaspoon salt
>> 1 pinch cayenne pepper
>>
>> Sounds interesting enough to save for future reference. We're going
>> to grow cukes this summer so we'll want to find new uses for them.

>It does sound good. I'll keep it in mind. Sounds like something
>that would be popularized by that type of restaurant.
>
>Do you think it would go well with dead squirrel? I
>think I have one in my dryer workings. It's been one
>of those days with things going wrong, that just capped it.
>
>nancy

everything goes well with dead squirrel. make sure to use shake and
bake for varmints.

your pal,
blake

Nancy2 19-03-2007 09:56 PM

Cusabi?

On Mar 18, 3:39 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> I went to lunch today, one of the appetizers was a surprise
> to me, fried pickles. Tempura coated. I didn't order them,
> but I noticed they came with cusabi dipping sauce.
>
> Just curious what that is. I'm thinking cumin/wasabi.
> No doubt El Wrongo.
>
> nancy

Fried pickles on a stick are a winner at state fairs ... at least here
in the middle of the country.

N.