Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pastorio's Oven Roast Beef for French Dipped Sandwich Breakfast.

Bob Pastorio's oven roasted roast beef for French dipped sandwiches.

Roast (1.5# rump) is in the oven @ 250 F.

I made the hot mustard. Sharpened the carving knife.

Au Jus can wait until the roast is done.

Soft Italian (couldn't find French) rolls and provolone cheese are in place.

About another two hours left. It's beginning to smell great in the meantime.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy said...

> Bob Pastorio's oven roasted roast beef for French dipped sandwiches.

http://www.tinypic.com/3ys6ogx.jpg

Didn't slice the meat as thin as I should've but it was all good anyway.

The mustard was hot! Hot!! HOT!!!

I ate two and a half sandwiches before surrendering.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Bob Pastorio's oven roasted roast beef for French dipped sandwiches.
>
> Roast (1.5# rump) is in the oven @ 250 F.
>
> I made the hot mustard. Sharpened the carving knife.
>
> Au Jus can wait until the roast is done.
>
> Soft Italian (couldn't find French) rolls and provolone cheese are in
> place.
>
> About another two hours left. It's beginning to smell great in the
> meantime.
>
> Andy

I was wondering just this week if anyone remembered French Dip sandwiches.
I wanted one badly and made a quick and dirty sandwich using sliced roast
beef from the deli counter.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B. said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Bob Pastorio's oven roasted roast beef for French dipped sandwiches.
>>
>> Roast (1.5# rump) is in the oven @ 250 F.
>>
>> I made the hot mustard. Sharpened the carving knife.
>>
>> Au Jus can wait until the roast is done.
>>
>> Soft Italian (couldn't find French) rolls and provolone cheese are in
>> place.
>>
>> About another two hours left. It's beginning to smell great in the
>> meantime.
>>
>> Andy

> I was wondering just this week if anyone remembered French Dip

sandwiches.
> I wanted one badly and made a quick and dirty sandwich using sliced roast
> beef from the deli counter.
> Janet

Janet,

I used to frequent Philippe's in L.A. for my once or twice a month French
dip fix. www.philippes.com

I don't see them served much in Philly. I guess the cheesesteak ran them
outta town.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Janet B. said...
>

>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> Bob Pastorio's oven roasted roast beef for French dipped sandwiches.
>>>
>>> Roast (1.5# rump) is in the oven @ 250 F.
>>>
>>> I made the hot mustard. Sharpened the carving knife.
>>>
>>> Au Jus can wait until the roast is done.
>>>
>>> Soft Italian (couldn't find French) rolls and provolone cheese are in
>>> place.
>>>
>>> About another two hours left. It's beginning to smell great in the
>>> meantime.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> I was wondering just this week if anyone remembered French Dip

> sandwiches.
>> I wanted one badly and made a quick and dirty sandwich using sliced roast
>> beef from the deli counter.
>> Janet

> Janet,
>
> I used to frequent Philippe's in L.A. for my once or twice a month French
> dip fix. www.philippes.com
>
> I don't see them served much in Philly. I guess the cheesesteak ran them
> outta town.
>
> Andy

Andy,
What a nice menu. Anyone ought to be able to get any craving fixed there
;o}
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B. said...

>> Janet,
>>
>> I used to frequent Philippe's in L.A. for my once or twice a month

French
>> dip fix. www.philippes.com
>>
>> I don't see them served much in Philly. I guess the cheesesteak ran them
>> outta town.
>>
>> Andy

> Andy,
> What a nice menu. Anyone ought to be able to get any craving fixed there
> ;o}
> Janet

Janet,

Their prices used to be very reasonable but there were so many people in
lines and parking was impossible, I can see them raising prices simply to
trim down the crowds.

We should all have THAT problem!

Still, where else you can get a good 10¢ cup of coffee?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B. wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Janet B. said...

>>> I was wondering just this week if anyone remembered French Dip
>>> sandwiches. I wanted one badly and made a quick and dirty sandwich
>>> using sliced roast beef from the deli counter.
>>> Janet

>> Janet,
>>
>> I used to frequent Philippe's in L.A. for my once or twice a month
>> French dip fix. www.philippes.com
>>
>> I don't see them served much in Philly. I guess the cheesesteak ran
>> them outta town.
>>
>> Andy

> Andy,
> What a nice menu. Anyone ought to be able to get any craving fixed
> there ;o}
> Janet

I don't think I've *ever* seen peanut butter & jelly sandwiches on a
restaurant menu before!

Jill <--loves a good roast beef french dip sandwich

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> Janet B. wrote:
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> Janet B. said...

>>> Janet,
>>>
>>> I used to frequent Philippe's in L.A. for my once or twice a month
>>> French dip fix. www.philippes.com
>>>
>>> I don't see them served much in Philly. I guess the cheesesteak ran
>>> them outta town.
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Andy,
>> What a nice menu. Anyone ought to be able to get any craving fixed
>> there ;o}
>> Janet

> I don't think I've *ever* seen peanut butter & jelly sandwiches on a
> restaurant menu before!
>
> Jill <--loves a good roast beef french dip sandwich

One unusual thing about Philippe's worth mentioning...

There are no waitstaff. There's no cafeteria style service, per se. You walk
in and stand in one of four or five lines to servers standing in the kitchen
behind a long counter and when you reach the counter you recite everything
you want for your meal and stand there while it's prepared for you, pay the
server and then sit down wherever there's room. If you sit down and realize
you forgot something... get back in line. It's worked that way for 99 years.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
KW KW is offline

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Andy said...
>
> > Bob Pastorio's oven roasted roast beef for French dipped sandwiches.

> http://www.tinypic.com/3ys6ogx.jpg
>

> Didn't slice the meat as thin as I should've but it was all good anyway.
>
> The mustard was hot! Hot!! HOT!!!
>
> I ate two and a half sandwiches before surrendering.
>
> Andy

Andy,

Looks de-lish-us. I can solve your slicing problem. Send me the rest of the
roast real quick like (along with the rest of the fixings....because they
might develop separation anxiety) and I'll run it through my slicer to your
specified thickness for a fee of a mere 2 sammiches! :~)

KW

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 17, 7:13 am, Andy <q> wrote:

> Their prices used to be very reasonable but there were so many people in
> lines and parking was impossible, I can see them raising prices simply to
> trim down the crowds.
>
> We should all have THAT problem!
>
> Still, where else you can get a good 10¢ cup of coffee?

Not to worry, the prices are still more than reasonable. There are
two parking lots and they are still free. The coffee is actually 9
cents but they have to add a penny for tax.

Besides the famous French dip sandwiches (of which I especially like
the lamb) their beef stew is not bad and the baked apples are just
like grandma used to make. Lemonade is cheap, too. Breakfast still
features excellent biscuits and they put the bowl of fresh salsa on
the counter for you to help yourself to spoon it on your eggs.... -
aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem said...

> On Mar 17, 7:13 am, Andy <q> wrote:
>>
>> Their prices used to be very reasonable but there were so many people in
>> lines and parking was impossible, I can see them raising prices simply

>> trim down the crowds.
>>
>> We should all have THAT problem!
>>
>> Still, where else you can get a good 10¢ cup of coffee?
>>

> Not to worry, the prices are still more than reasonable. There are
> two parking lots and they are still free. The coffee is actually 9
> cents but they have to add a penny for tax.
>
> Besides the famous French dip sandwiches (of which I especially like
> the lamb) their beef stew is not bad and the baked apples are just
> like grandma used to make. Lemonade is cheap, too. Breakfast still
> features excellent biscuits and they put the bowl of fresh salsa on
> the counter for you to help yourself to spoon it on your eggs.... -
> aem

aem,

How do you rate their hot mustard?

Andy