Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stone Cold Creamery

Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss is
all about.

I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.

Andy

--
"Et tu, Crème Brûlée?"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss is
> all about.
>
> I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.
>
> Andy
>
> --
> "Et tu, Crème Brûlée?"

Do you ever eat green food, like lettuce, chard, collards, spinach or
broccoli? It seems 99% of your posts involve lard in various disguises.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote:
> Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss is
> all about.

> I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.

It's "Cold Stone Creamery" because they plop the ice cream
onto a cold stone surface and work various additions into it.
It's mostly a gimmick, and most annoying of all, they sing
when anyone tips. That's a corporate policy, apparently.

My daughter took me to one in North Carolina a year or
two ago. I've avoided the one that has opened here more
recently. The ice cream was pretty good. I just don't need
the theatrics.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 23:05:52 +0000 (UTC), wrote:

> I just don't need
>the theatrics.

Thank Macaroin Grill for that one! I never needed the server to
sign their name upside down on the paper tablecloth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss is
> all about.
>
> I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.
>
> Andy

Do you mean Cold Stone? If so, their ice cream isn't bad but their
"hook" is the stuff they mix into it on a marble slab, everything from
chopped candy bars, nuts, and fruit to Gummy Bears (ick).

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester said...

> Andy wrote:
>> Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss
>> is all about.
>>
>> I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Do you mean Cold Stone? If so, their ice cream isn't bad but their
> "hook" is the stuff they mix into it on a marble slab, everything from
> chopped candy bars, nuts, and fruit to Gummy Bears (ick).
>
> gloria p

gloria p,

That's what I meant but it sounded OK the other way around too.

I'll stop in for a peak. Not so sure I like the idea of folks playing with
my food. I don't see what the point is, if I just want coffee ice cream
without gummy bears!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message ...
> Andy <q> wrote:
>> Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss
>> is
>> all about.

>> I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.

> It's "Cold Stone Creamery" because they plop the ice cream
> onto a cold stone surface and work various additions into it.
> It's mostly a gimmick, and most annoying of all, they sing
> when anyone tips. That's a corporate policy, apparently.
>
> My daughter took me to one in North Carolina a year or
> two ago. I've avoided the one that has opened here more
> recently. The ice cream was pretty good.

It's very heavy icecream, seems like it has been worked a bit too much to
me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss
>> is
>> all about.
>>
>> I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> --
>> "Et tu, Crème Brûlée?"

> Do you ever eat green food, like lettuce, chard, collards, spinach or
> broccoli? It seems 99% of your posts involve lard in various disguises.

*snork*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message ...
> Andy <q> wrote:
>> Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss
>> is
>> all about.

>> I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.

> It's "Cold Stone Creamery" because they plop the ice cream
> onto a cold stone surface and work various additions into it.
> It's mostly a gimmick, and most annoying of all, they sing
> when anyone tips. That's a corporate policy, apparently.
>
> My daughter took me to one in North Carolina a year or
> two ago. I've avoided the one that has opened here more
> recently. The ice cream was pretty good. I just don't need
> the theatrics.

Wouldn't it be easier to just not tip them? ;-)

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message
> Andy wrote:
>> Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss
>> is all about.
>>
>> I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.
>>
>> Andy
>>

> Do you mean Cold Stone? If so, their ice cream isn't bad but their "hook"
> is the stuff they mix into it on a marble slab, everything from chopped
> candy bars, nuts, and fruit to Gummy Bears (ick).

I've been to several locations in Houston. Very similar to Marble Slab
Creamery (a Houston-based chain). I usually get their ice cream straight up
(it's pretty good) and skip the mix-ins.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what
> the fuss is all about.
>
> I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.
>
> Andy

Nothing special with the taste of the ice cream IMHO.
As Puester noted, it's all the junk they add to the ice cream that
seems to attract the younger crowd. I'd rather buy the ice cream
from the grocer and sit in my favorite chair and enjoy at half the
cost and have more for later. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 15, 8:57 pm, sandi > wrote:
> Andy <q> wrote :
>
> > Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what
> > the fuss is all about.

> > I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.

> > Andy

> Nothing special with the taste of the ice cream IMHO.

> As Puester noted, it's all the junk they add to the ice cream that
> seems to attract the younger crowd. I'd rather buy the ice cream
> from the grocer and sit in my favorite chair and enjoy at half the
> cost and have more for later. :-)

Every flavor I tried (about 6 all tasted alike.) I noticed this
because I didn't get any of the extras (yes, even the free extras). I
would've stopped going, but DH had a bunch of buy-one, get one free,
which amounted to a savings of $4, because we always ordered the
biggest. But finally, I had to put a stop to it because it was
absolutely characterless to me.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article s.net>,
sandi > wrote:

> Andy <q> wrote in :
>
> > Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what
> > the fuss is all about.
> >
> > I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.
> >
> > Andy
> >

> Nothing special with the taste of the ice cream IMHO.
> As Puester noted, it's all the junk they add to the ice cream that
> seems to attract the younger crowd.

When I was in the younger crowd in the fifties, Rocky Road, in my region
and from my dairy, was made with chocolate ice cream, marshmallow creme
swirled into it and chopped walnuts. Ah, to be a kid again. Rocky Road,
the Valley Dairy way, and Nesbitt's orange soda.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article s.net>,
sandi > wrote:

> seems to attract the younger crowd. I'd rather buy the ice cream
> from the grocer and sit in my favorite chair and enjoy at half the
> cost and have more for later. :-)

One word: Culver's.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com - Comfort Food for Bob Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ward Abbott > wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 23:05:52 +0000 (UTC), wrote:
>
> > I just don't need
> >the theatrics.

> Thank Macaroin Grill for that one! I never needed the server to
> sign their name upside down on the paper tablecloth.

I once told one that if she did it, there would be no tip. She didn't.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com - Comfort Food for Bob Pastorio
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - snow pics added 3-3-2007
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bill wrote:

> It's "Cold Stone Creamery" because they plop the ice cream
> onto a cold stone surface and work various additions into it.
> It's mostly a gimmick, and most annoying of all, they sing
> when anyone tips. That's a corporate policy, apparently.
>
> My daughter took me to one in North Carolina a year or
> two ago. I've avoided the one that has opened here more
> recently. The ice cream was pretty good. I just don't need
> the theatrics.

The worst addition is anything with chocolate. Apparently, they use a LOT of
wax in their chocolate chunks.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in
ups.com:

> On Mar 15, 8:57 pm, sandi > wrote:
>> Andy <q> wrote :
>>
>> > Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see
>> > what the fuss is all about.

>> > I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.

>> > Andy

>> Nothing special with the taste of the ice cream IMHO.

>> As Puester noted, it's all the junk they add to the ice cream
>> that seems to attract the younger crowd. I'd rather buy the
>> ice cream from the grocer and sit in my favorite chair and
>> enjoy at half the cost and have more for later. :-)

> Every flavor I tried (about 6 all tasted alike.) I noticed
> this because I didn't get any of the extras (yes, even the
> free extras). I would've stopped going, but DH had a bunch of
> buy-one, get one free, which amounted to a savings of $4,
> because we always ordered the biggest. But finally, I had to
> put a stop to it because it was absolutely characterless to
> me. Dee

I can certainly relate. I used their 'buy one get one free'
couponstwice to check it out. Once okay & twice to be sure.
Third time.. back to some store bought yummy ice cream I could take
home and enjoy when needed. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> The worst addition is anything with chocolate. Apparently, they use a LOT of
> wax in their chocolate chunks.
>
> Bob

I'm not a big ice cream eater, but really enjoy the occasional pint of
Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia. The chunks of (dark, I think?) chocolate
as well as the frozen dark cherries are a treat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Bill wrote:
>
> > It's "Cold Stone Creamery" because they plop the ice cream
> > onto a cold stone surface and work various additions into it.
> > It's mostly a gimmick, and most annoying of all, they sing
> > when anyone tips. That's a corporate policy, apparently.
> >
> > My daughter took me to one in North Carolina a year or
> > two ago. I've avoided the one that has opened here more
> > recently. The ice cream was pretty good. I just don't need
> > the theatrics.

I must be the only person who absolutely hates the place. The smell of
the store is vile - that fake sweet smell, from the waffle cones I
think. Nasty. I had some ice cream once and it was so sweet I couldn't
eat it. My son loves the place so I take him there occasionally. He's
now old enough that I wait in the car while he buys his favorite and I
don't have to suffer the smell inside.

marcella
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> Ah, to be a kid again. Rocky Road,
> the Valley Dairy way, and Nesbitt's orange soda.

Nesbitt's Orange was the only soda I liked as a kid.
It was yummy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Their not-so-catchy motto was something like:
"Nesbitt's on the bottle is like Sterling stamped on silver"

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Puester said...
>
>> Andy wrote:
>>> Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the
>>> fuss
>>> is all about.
>>>
>>> I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>

>> Do you mean Cold Stone? If so, their ice cream isn't bad but their
>> "hook" is the stuff they mix into it on a marble slab, everything
>> from
>> chopped candy bars, nuts, and fruit to Gummy Bears (ick).
>>
>> gloria p

> gloria p,
>
> That's what I meant but it sounded OK the other way around too.
>
> I'll stop in for a peak. Not so sure I like the idea of folks playing
> with
> my food. I don't see what the point is, if I just want coffee ice
> cream
> without gummy bears!!!
>
> Andy

I think part of the idea of mixing it on the spot is that the mix-ins
don't have time to freeze. That's my usual problem with chocolate chip
ice cream: the chips freeze and then don't taste like anything.

I like Cold Stone Creamery. Just don't pick anything really stupid.

-T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sandi" > wrote

> Nothing special with the taste of the ice cream IMHO.
> As Puester noted, it's all the junk they add to the ice cream that
> seems to attract the younger crowd. I'd rather buy the ice cream
> from the grocer and sit in my favorite chair and enjoy at half the
> cost and have more for later. :-)

Yeah! I don't buy it, but if I did, it would be for home. And I don't
want all that junk. My idea of fancy is Breyer's vanilla with caramel
topping. Or Butterscotch. I don't want cookie dough or chunks of
crap in my ice cream, either!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss is
> all about.
>
> I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.
>
> Andy
>
> --
> "Et tu, Crème Brûlée?"

Cold Stone is excellent ice cream with a quite high fat content.

In the process of making ice cream air is introduced to increase the volume.
People in the "know" in the "Good Old Days" used to ask for and purchase hand
packed ice cream. The art of hand packing pushed out excess air and gave the
purchaser more product per volume of the container. Now days of course they
cheat by weighing the pint or quart.

Basically the "gimmick is not a gimmick" the mixing on the cold stone is
designed to not only mix in the ingredients but also to push out some of the
excess air thereby giving a smoother and richer mouth feel.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote

> Cold Stone is excellent ice cream with a quite high fat content.

> Basically the "gimmick is not a gimmick" the mixing on the cold stone is
> designed to not only mix in the ingredients but also to push out some of
> the excess air thereby giving a smoother and richer mouth feel.

Did they start out in San Diego, or did I get that confused because
I saw Ray Ray go to some place like that in that big hotel?
Hotel Commodore, something like that. Quite a place, though I
only drove by it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 15, 4:05 pm, wrote:
> Andy <q> wrote:
> > Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss is
> > all about.
> > I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.

> It's "Cold Stone Creamery" because they plop the ice cream
> onto a cold stone surface and work various additions into it.
> It's mostly a gimmick, and most annoying of all, they sing
> when anyone tips. That's a corporate policy, apparently.
>
> My daughter took me to one in North Carolina a year or
> two ago. I've avoided the one that has opened here more
> recently. The ice cream was pretty good. I just don't need
> the theatrics.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

Hmmmm....There's one near me, and I've never had one of the servers
sing to me. I'll make sure not to tip! I like some of their sundae
combinations, but I definitely don't need a glorified soda jerk that
sings to me. I don't find their ice cream to be anything exceptional
in the ice cream line, and usually prefer Gelato Classico if I'm going
to indulge. Fortunately, that's also close to me.

Melissa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sandi" > wrote

>> Yeah! I don't buy it, but if I did, it would be for home. And
>> I don't want all that junk. My idea of fancy is Breyer's
>> vanilla with caramel topping. Or Butterscotch. I don't want
>> cookie dough or chunks of crap in my ice cream, either!

> Agreed!!!!

I am jonesing for it now mmmm! Maybe for a treat soon.

I heard they make caramel topping with splenda now--
Smuckers, I think.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote
> Every flavor I tried (about 6 all tasted alike.) I noticed this
> because I didn't get any of the extras (yes, even the free extras).

It is heavy and gummy. I really don't like Coldstone or Marble Slab.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

> Andy <q> wrote:
> > Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss

is
> > all about.

> > I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.

> It's "Cold Stone Creamery" because they plop the ice cream
> onto a cold stone surface and work various additions into it.
> It's mostly a gimmick, and most annoying of all, they sing
> when anyone tips. That's a corporate policy, apparently.
>
> My daughter took me to one in North Carolina a year or
> two ago. I've avoided the one that has opened here more
> recently. The ice cream was pretty good. I just don't need
> the theatrics.

It reminds me of those fudge or pizza places in malls where they have some
kid doing stuff with the "product" to elicit "oohs" and "aahs" from the
rubes looking on...or that bell thing they ring at TFIG. Kinda hokie...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in

> I heard they make caramel topping with splenda now--
> Smuckers, I think.

I'll check that out! YUM! YUM!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Shiral" > wrote

> On Mar 15, 4:05 pm, wrote:

>> It's mostly a gimmick, and most annoying of all, they sing
>> when anyone tips. That's a corporate policy, apparently.

> Hmmmm....There's one near me, and I've never had one of the servers
> sing to me. I'll make sure not to tip!

That would be my reaction. You mean you won't do that if
I don't tip? Deal! Besides, I don't tip for buying a product
in a store.

I haven't had this in a while, but I like Ben and Jerry's
Heath Bar Crunch. Usually it's something along those
lines if I'm not buying vanilla. I used to love pralines & cream.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Mar 2007 00:57:49 GMT, sandi > wrote:

> I'd rather buy the ice cream
>from the grocer and sit in my favorite chair and enjoy at half the
>cost and have more for later.

Personally, I love Blue Bell brand Homemade Vanilla. That really is
about the closest to home made...and I have hand churned a few hundred
gallons of ice cream as a kid! We didn't have an electric churn as
available today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007 22:19:31 -0400, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>I'm not a big ice cream eater, but really enjoy the occasional pint of
>Ben and Jerry's Cherry Garcia.

Chunky Monkey was a good one...but I don't know it they still make it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote:

>> Cold Stone is excellent ice cream with a quite high fat content.

>> Basically the "gimmick is not a gimmick" the mixing on the cold stone is
>> designed to not only mix in the ingredients but also to push out some of
>> the excess air thereby giving a smoother and richer mouth feel.

> Did they start out in San Diego, or did I get that confused because
> I saw Ray Ray go to some place like that in that big hotel?
> Hotel Commodore, something like that. Quite a place, though I
> only drove by it.

http://www.ecoronado.com/webarticles/00012.shtml

I didn't watch the show to which you refer, but if she visited an ice cream
parlor that was FOUNDED in Coronado (because "Hotel Commodore" can only be a
reference to the Hotel del Coronado), then it must have been the MooTime
Creamery. There's a MooTime store in the hotel, and it's very popular.

There's a Cold Stone Creamery in Coronado too, but it's nothing special. The
article cited above mentions that the guy who runs the Cold Stone Creamery
on Coronado got the franchise from Cold Stone's headquarters in Scottsdale,
Arizona.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Greg wrote:

> It reminds me of those fudge or pizza places in malls where they have some
> kid doing stuff with the "product" to elicit "oohs" and "aahs" from the
> rubes looking on...or that bell thing they ring at TFIG. Kinda hokie...

Hooters has scantily-clad waitresses jumping rope or gyrating with hula
hoops. Kinda mesmerizing...

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote

> Nancy wrote:

>> Did they start out in San Diego, or did I get that confused because
>> I saw Ray Ray go to some place like that in that big hotel?
>> Hotel Commodore, something like that. Quite a place, though I
>> only drove by it.

> http://www.ecoronado.com/webarticles/00012.shtml
>
> I didn't watch the show to which you refer, but if she visited an ice
> cream
> parlor that was FOUNDED in Coronado (because "Hotel Commodore" can only be
> a reference to the Hotel del Coronado),

Haha, I was close, but not close enough.

> then it must have been the MooTime Creamery. There's a MooTime store in
> the hotel, and it's very popular.

Ah. I just remember the cold stone part, the marble. And the
mixing action.

> There's a Cold Stone Creamery in Coronado too, but it's nothing special.
> The article cited above mentions that the guy who runs the Cold Stone
> Creamery on Coronado got the franchise from Cold Stone's headquarters in
> Scottsdale, Arizona.

I picked up a waffle bowl/cone type thing from Cold Stone once,
it was good. One thing I noticed was that the line moves very
slowly. Good thing for them they didn't start singing. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss is
> all about.
>
> I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.
>
> Andy

Try a bit of coffee ice cream...with heath bar, roasted almonds, and pralines.

;-)

kimberly
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Mar 2007 04:20:27 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss is
>> all about.
>>
>> I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> --
>> "Et tu, Crème Brûlée?"

>Cold Stone is excellent ice cream with a quite high fat content.

That's my impression. The mix-ins are fun; one doesn't have to have
gummi bears I invented a combo once that was excellent but
unfortunately I didn't write it down.

Because of the richness (I don't need the calories), I get the small
size ("like it") and have learned to resist the pressure to move up
for only 50 cents (and probably 300 more calories!).

It shares a wall with my bank branch and the "sweet dough" smell
permeates the area! But I also have learned to resist stopping in at
Cold Stone when I go to the ATM. (Except in the summer)

Sue(tm)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat said...

> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss
>>> is
>>> all about.
>>>
>>> I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.
>>>
>>> Andy
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Et tu, Crème Brûlée?"

>> Do you ever eat green food, like lettuce, chard, collards, spinach or
>> broccoli? It seems 99% of your posts involve lard in various disguises.
>>

> *snork*

I put lettuce and tomato on my cheeseburgers! <G>

I like all veggies except lima beans. Admittedly, I don't eat as much as I
should.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message ...
> Andy <q> wrote:
>> Just saw this new store in town today. Must try it to see what the fuss is
>> all about.

>> I'll probably try a bit of coffee ice cream.

> It's "Cold Stone Creamery" because they plop the ice cream
> onto a cold stone surface and work various additions into it.
> It's mostly a gimmick, and most annoying of all, they sing
> when anyone tips. That's a corporate policy, apparently.
>
> My daughter took me to one in North Carolina a year or
> two ago. I've avoided the one that has opened here more
> recently. The ice cream was pretty good. I just don't need
> the theatrics.
>
> Bill Ranck
> Blacksburg, Va.

I've been to several, including the original, and never had anyone sing. Ever.
Perhaps you're confusing them with someone else, since there are several
places that have copied the basic premise.

There's no theatrics to it. They simply make your ice cream with the additions
*you* want. Myself, that usually means something crunchy, because I've just
never been satisfied with creamy smooth ice creams...the exceptions of course
being gelato and sorbet.

kimberly