Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default To hell with "The Well Method." (long)

Hi everybody:

So I spent this weekend doing homemade fresh pasta experiments and finally
found a use for my Cuisinart Mini Prep processor. I've had the thing for
about eight years and have only used it a handful of times for occasional
salsa or chopping larger quantities of garlic.

I started out making pasta with the "well method" with reasonable success,
but found it to be messy and made way too much dough for a single guy. After
some Internet research, I finally figured out that pasta can be made very
well in a food processor... except that it still makes too much for a single
guy.

Enter my previously useless Mini Prep. It turned out to be the perfect size
for making a single portion of the good stuff. Here's what I ended up doing:

_________________
2/3 cup flour
1 extra large egg

Pulse until you achieve a cornmeal-ish texture and then run the damn thing
full blast until the dough comes together and forms a ball. If it refuses to
come together, add 1/2 tsp H2O slowly until the dough cooperates.

Knead for a minute or so and wrap in plastic and rest for 30 - 60 minutes.

Proceed as usual with whatever pasta-making implements you like to use. I
use my KitchenAid attachments.
_________________

I've read, and found to be true, that dough done in a food processor needs
less kneading than making it by hand. For me, the dough was ready in less
than a minute and made virtually no mess.

Finally (!) I have a way to make small quantities of pasta whenever I want.
To hell with the "well method" and tradition. These results have certainly
worked best for me.

And now, here's my favorite and extremely simple dish.

_________________

CPN's 30-second pasta

Ingredients:
Cast Iron Skillet (mandatory)
Kitchen Tongs (also mandatory)
Pasta
3 tbs. Good Butter
Black Pepper (in a grinder)
Parmigiano Reggiano cheese in a rotary grater
Fresh Basil, chiffonade

While your pasta is boiling, heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. The
pan should be damn hot, but not ridiculously hot. After you've drained the
pasta, get ready, because this literally takes about 30 seconds.

Plop the butter into the pan and use your tongs to move the butter around
quickly to melt and brown it as fast as possible. At the exact moment your
butter is browned properly, drop your cooked pasta into the skillet and
start turning with the tongs. The residual water on the pasta will cool the
pan and prevent the butter from burning. In about 10 or 15 seconds, the
pasta will be evenly coated with the browned butter.

Plate it and hit it with some fine black pepper and top it with the Reggiano
and your basil chiffonade.

Serve to your date with a good wine and go have some sex. Bask in the
afterglow the next morning.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 13, 10:32 pm, "Curt Nelson" <X> wrote:
> [...]
> Fresh Basil, chiffonade
>
> While your pasta is boiling, heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. The
> pan should be damn hot, but not ridiculously hot. After you've drained the
> pasta, get ready, because this literally takes about 30 seconds.
>
> Plop the butter into the pan and use your tongs to move the butter around
> quickly to melt and brown it as fast as possible. At the exact moment your
> butter is browned properly, drop your cooked pasta into the skillet and
> start turning with the tongs. The residual water on the pasta will cool the
> pan and prevent the butter from burning. In about 10 or 15 seconds, the
> pasta will be evenly coated with the browned butter.
>
> Plate it and hit it with some fine black pepper and top it with the Reggiano
> and your basil chiffonade.
>
> Serve to your date with a good wine and go have some sex. Bask in the

Thanks for posting this, Curt. I'm going to try it soon. I have a
KitchenAid food processor, so I'll be using the middle bowl to
process. I hadn't thought of that before. I will probably have some
good wine with my husband, but I don't know about the 'have some..."
I'll just sleep in the next morning. :-)))
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:
> Serve to your date with a good wine and go have some sex. Bask in the
> afterglow the next morning.
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

Hmmmmmm. Baiting a date with pasta. Wish I'd know about this years
ago.
Now? Seductio ad absurdum. My next mornings are mere glimmers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Curt Nelson wrote:
> [...]
> Fresh Basil, chiffonade
>
> While your pasta is boiling, heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. The
> pan should be damn hot, but not ridiculously hot. After you've drained the
> pasta, get ready, because this literally takes about 30 seconds.
>
> Plop the butter into the pan and use your tongs to move the butter around
> quickly to melt and brown it as fast as possible. At the exact moment your
> butter is browned properly, drop your cooked pasta into the skillet and
> start turning with the tongs. The residual water on the pasta will cool the
> pan and prevent the butter from burning. In about 10 or 15 seconds, the
> pasta will be evenly coated with the browned butter.
>
> Plate it and hit it with some fine black pepper and top it with the Reggiano
> and your basil chiffonade.
>
> Serve to your date with a good wine and go have some sex. Bask in the

You say the well method makes too much pasta for you, a single guy. Can
I ask HOW you do your well method? I was taught to do this by eggs per
persons at dinner. You put a good quantity of flour on your board or
counter. Make a well in the center. Crack however many eggs per person
(one egg, one person...three eggs for three people). Beat the eggs
lightly with a fork in the well. Then with your hand add bits of flour
from the sides slowly, adding more and more, until you have enough flour
incorporated in your egg amount. Then you can remove the rest of the
flour and knead on your board till elastic, resting as needed. I've even
plopped it into the food processor after reaching a 'good dough' so I
never have to measure or do math and figure out how much of this or that
per person. This method usually makes a nice amount per person, not a
pig out by any means, just a good portion for pasta. If it's served
plain without meats or much of other things I might add one egg and risk
some leftovers.

If you make too much pasta for yourself, you can always let it dry and
save it for another time, too. Dried fresh pasta is almost as good as
fresh. Takes just a few minutes to cook.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melondy" > wrote in message
t...

> You say the well method makes too much pasta for you, a single guy. Can I
> ask HOW you do your well method? I was taught to do this by eggs per
> persons at dinner. You put a good quantity of flour on your board or
> counter. Make a well in the center. Crack however many eggs per person
> (one egg, one person...three eggs for three people). Beat the eggs lightly
> with a fork in the well. Then with your hand add bits of flour from the
> sides slowly, adding more and more, until you have enough flour
> incorporated in your egg amount. Then you can remove the rest of the flour
> and knead on your board till elastic, resting as needed. I've even plopped
> it into the food processor after reaching a 'good dough' so I never have
> to measure or do math and figure out how much of this or that per person.
> This method usually makes a nice amount per person, not a pig out by any
> means, just a good portion for pasta. If it's served plain without meats
> or much of other things I might add one egg and risk some leftovers.

My well method is pretty much exactly as you describe it and it certainly is
more traditional. I'll probably use it in the future when cooking for other
people. It certainly makes it look like I know what I'm doing... ;-)

For me, I can crank out a single serving of pasta dough with my processor in
under five minutes if I really try, so it's convenient for me. There's
essentially no mess or waste and my hands practically don't even get dirty.
(not that I mind.)

I'm going to continue using both methods, though. Next up, I have to cook
for 20 people at a ski cabin in a week or so. I'm thinking of trying to use
the KitchenAid dough hook for that one and see if I can surprise 'em with
fresh pasta.

Hasta,
Curt Nelson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Curt Nelson" <X> wrote in message
. ..
> Hi everybody:
>

> And now, here's my favorite and extremely simple dish.
>
> _________________
>
> CPN's 30-second pasta
>
> Ingredients:
> Cast Iron Skillet (mandatory)
> Kitchen Tongs (also mandatory)
> Pasta
> 3 tbs. Good Butter
> Black Pepper (in a grinder)
> Parmigiano Reggiano cheese in a rotary grater
> Fresh Basil, chiffonade
>
> While your pasta is boiling, heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
> The pan should be damn hot, but not ridiculously hot. After you've drained
> the pasta, get ready, because this literally takes about 30 seconds.
>
> Plop the butter into the pan and use your tongs to move the butter around
> quickly to melt and brown it as fast as possible. At the exact moment your
> butter is browned properly, drop your cooked pasta into the skillet and
> start turning with the tongs. The residual water on the pasta will cool
> the pan and prevent the butter from burning. In about 10 or 15 seconds,
> the pasta will be evenly coated with the browned butter.
>
> Plate it and hit it with some fine black pepper and top it with the
> Reggiano and your basil chiffonade.
>
> Serve to your date with a good wine and go have some sex. Bask in the
> afterglow the next morning.

rotflmao...looks very good to me. As I've never made pasta, I'll give this a
try this week-end. Thanks

Harriet & critters -- we now live in azusa

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Harriet Neal" > wrote in message
k.net...

> "Curt Nelson" <X> wrote in message
> . ..

<snip>
>> Plop the butter into the pan and use your tongs to move the butter around
>> quickly to melt and brown it as fast as possible. At the exact moment
>> your butter is browned properly, drop your cooked pasta into the skillet
>> and start turning with the tongs. The residual water on the pasta will
>> cool the pan and prevent the butter from burning. In about 10 or 15
>> seconds, the pasta will be evenly coated with the browned butter.
>>
>> Plate it and hit it with some fine black pepper and top it with the
>> Reggiano and your basil chiffonade.
>>
>> Serve to your date with a good wine and go have some sex. Bask in the
>> afterglow the next morning.
>>

> rotflmao...looks very good to me. As I've never made pasta, I'll give this
> a try this week-end. Thanks

Looks good to me as well. I may even have to buy a mini-prep now.

Oh darn. ;-)

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Curt Nelson" <X> wrote:

> For me, I can crank out a single serving of pasta dough with my processor in
> under five minutes if I really try, so it's convenient for me. There's
> essentially no mess or waste and my hands practically don't even get dirty.
> (not that I mind.)
>
> I'm going to continue using both methods, though. Next up, I have to cook
> for 20 people at a ski cabin in a week or so. I'm thinking of trying to use
> the KitchenAid dough hook for that one and see if I can surprise 'em with
> fresh pasta.
>
> Hasta,
> Curt Nelson

Curt, are you using ap flour or semolina? What kind of pasta 'machine'
-- the KA extruder or the Atlas-type roller?
IME semolina is required for the extruder -- and it needs to be very dry
or it comes out gluey. I haven't made it in years, though -- might have
to try it just for the heckuva it. I'll mix the dough in the Cuisinart,
though, not with a dough hook.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://jamlady.eboard.com - Comfort Food for Bob Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 13, 7:32 pm, "Curt Nelson" <X> wrote:
> [...]
> Fresh Basil, chiffonade
>
> While your pasta is boiling, heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. The
> pan should be damn hot, but not ridiculously hot. After you've drained the
> pasta, get ready, because this literally takes about 30 seconds.
>
> Plop the butter into the pan and use your tongs to move the butter around
> quickly to melt and brown it as fast as possible. At the exact moment your
> butter is browned properly, drop your cooked pasta into the skillet and
> start turning with the tongs. The residual water on the pasta will cool the
> pan and prevent the butter from burning. In about 10 or 15 seconds, the
> pasta will be evenly coated with the browned butter.
>
> Plate it and hit it with some fine black pepper and top it with the Reggiano
> and your basil chiffonade.
>
> Serve to your date with a good wine and go have some sex. Bask in the

Bag the basil. Instead deep fry some sage leaves and use those.

And Curt - remember *all* wine is good wine if you're on a date.

Susan B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,

Sorry for the long-delayed reply Mother Superior. ;-)

It's a big newsgroup and I only just found your post now. Hopefully you'll
see it eventually...

I make no claim of being a pasta magician, but I also have an irrational
aversion to extruders. So, for me, I'm going to do small quantities for two
people or so in the processor and "attempt" to do larger quantities using
the dough hook on the KitchenAid.

Whatever Batali wants to tell you on his show, he sure doesn't
single-handedly do 1500 covers of pasta on a weeknight with the "well
method." Why should I do the same? Hell, when's the last time he's made
pasta by hand when he wasn't on T.V.?

Anyway, I'm not bashing Mario in any way. I live in Seattle and have known
his Dad, Dino, for going on ten years now and have had a M. Batali breakfast
at Salumi. He was *very* cool. Whatever the ego some NYC food critics have
decried him of, he was just a Seattle guy when I met him. Perhaps his
shields were down being next to his Mom and Dad in his hometown and maybe a
fellow just has to have some thick skin to survive and successfully run a
veritable restaurant empire in Manhattan.

My only point is this. If he can make dough on a hook than so can I. The
common ground is caring about what you are making and caring even more about
whom you are serving your food to. I'll never consider myself a chef or even
a good cook, but I love it and I try my damndest whenever I get near a
kitchen.

Sorry for the long blurb. It's late, I'm drunk and worked to death and am on
two hours of sleep. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute something to the
newsgroup once in awhile. If you feel like reposting this, that's fine by
me.

Best of luck with your pasta!

Hasta,
Curt Nelson