Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Big Booger

McDonald's test-markets Third Pounder

Last Update: 5:27 PM ET Mar 7, 2007

ANAHEIM, Calif., Mar 7, 2007 (UPI via COMTEX) -- McDonald's Corp. has
begun test-marketing thick, higher-quality hamburgers as part of a
strategy to appeal to more upscale U.S. customers.
The Angus Third Pounder, currently available in Southern California,
comes in three versions on a denser bun than McDonald's regular
hamburgers, the fast-food chain said.
At $3.99, it is also the most expensive sandwich on the menu.
The new burger pushes the boundary separating fast-food chains from
"fast-casual" operations like Fuddruckers Inc. or Steak 'n Shake Co.,
The Chicago Tribune reported.
The Angus Third Pounder ranges from 720 calories to 860 calories,
depending on the version, McDonald's said. By comparison, a McDonald's
double Quarter Pounder contains 740 calories and its Big Mac sandwich
contains 540 calories.
Food consultant Ron Paul, president of Chicago's Technomics Inc., told
the Tribune he expected McDonald's will quickly expand the offering
nationwide.
"They are now merchandising premium salads, premium chicken
sandwiches, premium coffee, so why not a premium burger?" he said.
"Instead of Johnny Rockets, people have another option for a better
burger."
www.upi.com Copyright 2007 by United Press International
---

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Van Van is offline

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> McDonald's test-markets Third Pounder
>

> "Instead of Johnny Rockets, people have another option for a better
> burger."
> www.upi.com Copyright 2007 by United Press International
> ---
>
> Sheldon

Interesting.

We're getting a Fuddruckers in our area soon (Wolf Road in Colonie). I used
to go to Fuddruckers in Virginia Beach (Norfolk) and they *DO* have good
stuff. First thing you see when entering the front of the restaurant is
their ON-SITE butcher shop with sides of beef hanging on meat hooks to
demonstrate the freshness of their ground beef.

They cook the burgers to order, after which you progress to their unlimited
"fixins" bar.

Was always a decent "casual dining" experience, as I recall.
http://www.fuddruckers.com/ . They bill themselves as "The World's
Greatest Hamburger".

Van

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 12, 9:21�am, "Van" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
>
> > McDonald's test-markets Third Pounder

> > "Instead of Johnny Rockets, people have another option for a better
> > burger."
> >www.upi.comCopyright 2007 by United Press International
> > ---

> > Sheldon

> Interesting.
>
> We're getting a Fuddruckers in our area soon (Wolf Road in Colonie). *I used
> to go to Fuddruckers in Virginia Beach (Norfolk) and they *DO* have good
> stuff. *First thing you see when entering the front of the restaurant *is
> their ON-SITE butcher shop with sides of beef hanging on meat hooks to
> demonstrate the freshness of their ground beef.
>
> They cook the burgers to order, after which you progress to their unlimited
> "fixins" bar.
>
> Was always a decent "casual dining" experience, as I recall.http://www.fuddruckers.com/*. *They bill themselves as "The World's
> Greatest Hamburger".

>From their website it looks like something I'd try. I'll have to wait

for the one on Wolf Road as there doesn't appear to be any others
nearby, only three in NY and none near the Albany area.

http://www.fuddruckers.com/locations...t.asp?state=ny

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ted shuffled out of his cave and grunted these great (and sometimes not
so great) words of knowledge:
> McDonald's test-markets Third Pounder
>

> Last Update: 5:27 PM ET Mar 7, 2007
>

> ANAHEIM, Calif., Mar 7, 2007 (UPI via COMTEX) -- McDonald's Corp. has
> begun test-marketing thick, higher-quality hamburgers as part of a
> strategy to appeal to more upscale U.S. customers.
> The Angus Third Pounder, currently available in Southern California,
> comes in three versions on a denser bun than McDonald's regular
> hamburgers, the fast-food chain said.
> At $3.99, it is also the most expensive sandwich on the menu.
> The new burger pushes the boundary separating fast-food chains from
> "fast-casual" operations like Fuddruckers Inc. or Steak 'n Shake Co.,
> The Chicago Tribune reported.
> The Angus Third Pounder ranges from 720 calories to 860 calories,
> depending on the version, McDonald's said. By comparison, a McDonald's
> double Quarter Pounder contains 740 calories and its Big Mac sandwich
> contains 540 calories.
> Food consultant Ron Paul, president of Chicago's Technomics Inc., told
> the Tribune he expected McDonald's will quickly expand the offering
> nationwide.
> "They are now merchandising premium salads, premium chicken
> sandwiches, premium coffee, so why not a premium burger?" he said.
> "Instead of Johnny Rockets, people have another option for a better
> burger."
> www.upi.com Copyright 2007 by United Press International
> ---
>
> Sheldon

Go to Ruby Tuesday if you want a burger. Their "top of the line" burger
contains ONLY 1,900+ calories - that is correct, one thousand nine
hundred plus calories.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
> On Mar 12, 9:21?am, "Van" > wrote:
>> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
>>
>> ps.com...
>>
>>> McDonald's test-markets Third Pounder

>>> "Instead of Johnny Rockets, people have another option for a better
>>> burger."
>>> www.upi.comCopyright 2007 by United Press International
>>> ---

>>> Sheldon

>> Interesting.
>>
>> We're getting a Fuddruckers in our area soon (Wolf Road in Colonie).
>> I used
>> to go to Fuddruckers in Virginia Beach (Norfolk) and they *DO* have
>> good
>> stuff.

>> From their website it looks like something I'd try. I'll have to
>> wait

> for the one on Wolf Road as there doesn't appear to be any others
> nearby, only three in NY and none near the Albany area.
>
> http://www.fuddruckers.com/locations...t.asp?state=ny
>
> Sheldon

There was something similar years back in Memphis, Longnecker's I think they
called it. The place burned down and they never rebuilt. The rolls for the
burgers were baked fresh on the premises, which I believe Fuddrucker's also
does. And like Fuddrucker's they displayed the refrigerated sides of beef
and ground their own. Best of all, they sold buckets of long-neck bottles
of beer! Beer and a burger, yum

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:21:30 -0400, Van wrote:
>
>> We're getting a Fuddruckers in our area soon (Wolf Road in Colonie). I
>> used
>> to go to Fuddruckers in Virginia Beach (Norfolk) and they *DO* have good
>> stuff. First thing you see when entering the front of the restaurant is
>> their ON-SITE butcher shop with sides of beef hanging on meat hooks to
>> demonstrate the freshness of their ground beef.

> Hanging sides of beef at a *Fuddruckers*? Anybody else ever seen
> this ata Fuddruckers?

Not me...

> I've been to at least 10 different ones
> and at none of them did they have anything resembling whole cow.

I've been to several locations in the Houston area (usually with co-workers
for lunch). OK burgers, but there are many other places down there that make
better ones.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Van Van is offline

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:21:30 -0400, Van wrote:

> Hanging sides of beef at a *Fuddruckers*? Anybody else ever seen
> this ata Fuddruckers? I've been to at least 10 different ones
> and at none of them did they have anything resembling whole cow.
>
> -sw

I must admit it's been over 10-15 years since I've been to one, and there
may be reasons they may no longer have the on-site meat prep & grinding -
who knows?

BUT - the ones I used to frequent both in Norfolk (Va Beach, actually) and
in Atlanta both proudly showcased their refrigerated meat processing areas
with huge picture windows right at the restaurant entrance. You could order
your burger by size with sides (they also served chicken filet), then dress
your sandwich any way you wanted. The 'fixins' bar was actually a salad
bar.

And, they did bake their own rolls.

Van

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:21:30 -0400, Van wrote:
>
>> We're getting a Fuddruckers in our area soon (Wolf Road in Colonie). I used
>> to go to Fuddruckers in Virginia Beach (Norfolk) and they *DO* have good
>> stuff. First thing you see when entering the front of the restaurant is
>> their ON-SITE butcher shop with sides of beef hanging on meat hooks to
>> demonstrate the freshness of their ground beef.

> Hanging sides of beef at a *Fuddruckers*? Anybody else ever seen
> this ata Fuddruckers?

Yep. The ones in San Diego have their own butcher shops and
bakeries, and you can see the meat and the bread through a window.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Van" > wrote in message

> "Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ps.com...
>> McDonald's test-markets Third Pounder
>>

>> "Instead of Johnny Rockets, people have another option for a better
>> burger."
>> www.upi.com Copyright 2007 by United Press International
>> ---
>>
>> Sheldon

> Interesting.
>
> We're getting a Fuddruckers in our area soon (Wolf Road in Colonie). I
> used to go to Fuddruckers in Virginia Beach (Norfolk) and they *DO* have
> good stuff. First thing you see when entering the front of the restaurant
> is their ON-SITE butcher shop with sides of beef hanging on meat hooks to
> demonstrate the freshness of their ground beef.
>
> They cook the burgers to order, after which you progress to their
> unlimited "fixins" bar.

There was a Fuddruckers in Pasadena, CA for about 20 years. I guess the
land lease expired and it wasn't renewed...so the location will now become a
new CVS pharmacy. In-'N-Out rules in SoCal. The best deal in town. One
patty, with all the fixin's, fresh fries, and a drink for $4.99.

Harriet & critters (with the a/c on today as it is about 90F here in our new
home town of Azusa -- nick-named "Everything from A-Z in the USA!")

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Hanging sides of beef at a *Fuddruckers*? Anybody else ever seen
> this ata Fuddruckers? I've been to at least 10 different ones
> and at none of them did they have anything resembling whole cow.
>
> -sw

when the chain first came to SoCal they did have hanging sides of beef in a
cooler that had glass in front and you could see the butchers cutting the
meat up; then about 15 years ago, they stopped showing a nekkid cow.

Harriet & critters

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Serene Bo-Bean wrote:
> Steve Wertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 12 Mar 2007 09:21:30 -0400, Van wrote:
>>
>>> We're getting a Fuddruckers in our area soon (Wolf Road in
>>> Colonie). I used to go to Fuddruckers in Virginia Beach (Norfolk)
>>> and they *DO* have good stuff. First thing you see when entering
>>> the front of the restaurant is their ON-SITE butcher shop with
>>> sides of beef hanging on meat hooks to demonstrate the freshness of
>>> their ground beef.

>> Hanging sides of beef at a *Fuddruckers*? Anybody else ever seen
>> this ata Fuddruckers?

> Yep. The ones in San Diego have their own butcher shops and
> bakeries, and you can see the meat and the bread through a window.
>
> Serene

Same as the one I went to in Georgia, Serene. Maybe not everywhere but
certainly in some locations.

Jill