Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Chimay Grand Reserve Blue Label

A poster on another group suggested this beer, which I bought. (He
posts to this group, too, I believe.) Thanks for the information. I
found it readily at Total Wine, Manassas, VA.

I would like to include this beer with a meal - nothing elaborate;
preferably medium-easy, and the beer would be the highlight for DH and
I.
Any suggestions as to what type of meal preference?
German? What dishes?

Thanks.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote on 10 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> Any suggestions as to what type of meal preference?
> German? What dishes?
>
> Thanks.
> Dee

use your everyday dishes as it is only beer...save the good dishes for when
you serve wine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

>Dee Dee wrote on 10 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Any suggestions as to what type of meal preference?
>> German? What dishes?

>use your everyday dishes as it is only beer...save the good dishes for when
>you serve wine.

Didn't wine snobbery go away in the 80's? ;-)

Chimay Blue is a wonderful beer! The malt profile is fairly complex,
the yeast and fermentation characteristics bring a spicyness and it's
relatively high in alcohol. This is a beer that ages very well too.

It would go well with (or IN) an array of cheeses, soups, desserts,
beef dishes or perhaps in the most traditional use of all - a good
Belgian carbonade.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 7:45 pm, FuManchu > wrote:

> Chimay Blue is a wonderful beer! The malt profile is fairly complex,
> the yeast and fermentation characteristics bring a spicyness and it's
> relatively high in alcohol. This is a beer that ages very well too.
>
> It would go well with (or IN) an array of cheeses, soups, desserts,
> beef dishes or perhaps in the most traditional use of all - a good
> Belgian carbonade.

After googling Belgian and carbonade, I see the probably the
difference between carbonade and Belgian Carbonade, is the fact that
Belgian Carbonade is made with beer, vs. a stew made with wine. This
receipe looks good to me:
http://frenchfood.about.com/od/beefveal/r/carbonade.htm

Some carbonades call for a certain cured beef "The traditional recipe
calls for the use of salt-cured beef, which is quite dark and gives
the dish its name (carbonade, charbon, charcoal)."

I love wine, but for some reason, DH and I both do not care for beef
dishes made with wine, even with acceptable drinking wine.

Thanks for your response.
Appreciated.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dee Dee wrote:

>> perhaps in the most traditional use of all - a good
>> Belgian carbonade.

>After googling Belgian and carbonade, I see the probably the
>difference between carbonade and Belgian Carbonade, is the fact that
>Belgian Carbonade is made with beer, vs. a stew made with wine. This
>receipe looks good to me:
>http://frenchfood.about.com/od/beefveal/r/carbonade.htm
>
>Some carbonades call for a certain cured beef "The traditional recipe
>calls for the use of salt-cured beef, which is quite dark and gives
>the dish its name (carbonade, charbon, charcoal)."
>
>I love wine, but for some reason, DH and I both do not care for beef
>dishes made with wine, even with acceptable drinking wine.

Finding the prune addition to be kindof strange, I did a google search
for "garrett oliver carbonade". Garrett Oliver is one of the most
well-recognized beer and food pairing experts around right now, and is
the author of "The Brewmaster's Table" and brewmaster of the Brooklyn
Brewery. Anyways, his recipe includes 1/2 cup of raisins. I'd post
it, but the recipe comes from a book of his and I'm not sure how the
locals here would appreciate a posting from a published work.

The reason I find the prunes (or raisins for that matter) a little
weird is because this particular beer is made with an amount of
"Special B" malt, which actually does impart a prune/raisin-like aroma
to the beer. I suppose that if you really like that kind of thing,
more prunes/raisins/etc. could be a welcome addition.

Hopefully you have more than one bottle! You'll need some for the
carbonade and some for drinking with the meal.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote in message
s.com...
>A poster on another group suggested this beer, which I bought. (He
> posts to this group, too, I believe.) Thanks for the information. I
> found it readily at Total Wine, Manassas, VA.
>
> I would like to include this beer with a meal - nothing elaborate;
> preferably medium-easy, and the beer would be the highlight for DH and
> I.
> Any suggestions as to what type of meal preference?
> German? What dishes?

Chimay is a Belgian monastery. It is equally famous for its
cheeses; if you can find some (usually Whole Foods carries
them, or look on the cheese sites on the Internet) a nice
appetizer of Chimay melted on good coarse bread would
complement whatever you serve. Try a good Carbonnade
(Belgian beef/beer stew) with it. Made with Chimay, of course.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Garrett Oliver is one of the most
> well-recognized beer and food pairing experts around right now, and is
> the author of "The Brewmaster's Table" and brewmaster of the Brooklyn
> Brewery. Anyways, his recipe includes 1/2 cup of raisins. I'd post
> it, but the recipe comes from a book of his and I'm not sure how the
> locals here would appreciate a posting from a published work.

No problem, I don't give recipes (or genealogy) on newsgroups.

I took a look "inside" of the book - written wonderfully and so
interesting I'm getting it my next book order.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 10, 10:08 pm, "pavane" > wrote:
>> Chimay is a Belgian monastery. It is equally famous for its

> cheeses; if you can find some (usually Whole Foods carries
> them, or look on the cheese sites on the Internet) a nice
> appetizer of Chimay melted on good coarse bread would
> complement whatever you serve. Try a good Carbonnade
> (Belgian beef/beer stew) with it. Made with Chimay, of course.
>
> pavane

What luck - cheese, too! 10 days to go before I get to Whole Foods
again.

This Whole Foods is absolutely the most fantastic grocery store I've
been to in my entire life. (Well, it doesn't have everything!) I'm
not a big meat eater, but the meat department is like nothing I've
seen before, all from Neiman, and the other organic meat farmers -
chicken and pork.

There are several open-type restaurants -- one with cheeses from all
over the world, where you can sit and order your cheese and your
wine. Several other restaurants serving Japanese sashimi, etc, cooked
seafood bar. An Italian restaurant, a sports-type juice bar; the
bread and dessert areas are stupendous. I've been there twice and
have not taken it all in.

Just to think that I had to get this information from my dentist's
receptionist of the opening. I've not heard mention of it anywhere.
Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:19:27 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>
> > use your everyday dishes as it is only beer...save the good dishes for when
> > you serve wine.

> Most bottle-conditioned Belgian ales are better than even the
> best, most expensive panzy wine.

Funny this thread should come up. I was just given a bottle of Chimay
Blue Label today. It's not Grand Reserve, but it is a rather spiffy
drink. I shall be according it the proper respect.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
FuManchu > wrote:

> Dee Dee wrote:
>
> >> perhaps in the most traditional use of all - a good
> >> Belgian carbonade.

> >After googling Belgian and carbonade, I see the probably the
> >difference between carbonade and Belgian Carbonade, is the fact that
> >Belgian Carbonade is made with beer, vs. a stew made with wine. This
> >receipe looks good to me:
> >http://frenchfood.about.com/od/beefveal/r/carbonade.htm
> >
> >Some carbonades call for a certain cured beef "The traditional recipe
> >calls for the use of salt-cured beef, which is quite dark and gives
> >the dish its name (carbonade, charbon, charcoal)."
> >
> >I love wine, but for some reason, DH and I both do not care for beef
> >dishes made with wine, even with acceptable drinking wine.
> >

> Finding the prune addition to be kindof strange, I did a google search
> for "garrett oliver carbonade". Garrett Oliver is one of the most
> well-recognized beer and food pairing experts around right now, and is
> the author of "The Brewmaster's Table" and brewmaster of the Brooklyn
> Brewery. Anyways, his recipe includes 1/2 cup of raisins. I'd post
> it, but the recipe comes from a book of his and I'm not sure how the
> locals here would appreciate a posting from a published work.

Go for it, as long as credit's given where it's due (ie name of book and
author/chef).

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
After enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 23:19:27 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
>
>> use your everyday dishes as it is only beer...save the good dishes
>> for when you serve wine.

> Most bottle-conditioned Belgian ales are better than even the
> best, most expensive panzy wine.
>
> -sw

I concur.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kili and steve opined:

>> Most bottle-conditioned Belgian ales are better than even the
>> best, most expensive panzy wine.
>>

> I concur.

I demur.

Don't get me wrong, I like ales as much as anybody. I just think that saying
an ale is "better" than the "best" wine is nonsense. There's no objective
scale for comparison or measurement of quality for either.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Steve Wertz > wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:23:03 +1300, Miche wrote:
>
> > Funny this thread should come up. I was just given a bottle of Chimay
> > Blue Label today. It's not Grand Reserve, but it is a rather spiffy
> > drink. I shall be according it the proper respect.

> The Blue Label *is* the Grand Reserve

Huh. I thought the Grand Reserve was the big bottles. Well there ya
go. Thanks.

> I prefer the White label - the Trippel.

It's obviously too long since I've had Chimay of any kind.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
After enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper

1990 Menghai Grand Red Label MarshalN Tea 0 09-01-2007 06:24 PM
1990 Menghai Grand Red Label Draconus Tea 4 09-01-2007 11:35 AM
Grand Royal Special Reserve Whisky General 0 14-05-2004 05:54 AM
Chimay date question Bakechad Beer 0 01-03-2004 10:39 PM
Chimay in Boston Eric Lorenzo Beer 5 20-12-2003 11:10 PM