Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is good brand of can beans

Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
especially)

Besides this, I consider them a little to salty.

Thanks

Barry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 10:44 am, "Barry" > wrote:
> Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
> especially)
>
> Besides this, I consider them a little to salty.
>
> Thanks
>
> Barry

I assume you're talking about baked beans? I like Bush's original. I
don't need Duke's recipe, though, because I doctor them up myself.
LOL.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 11:55 am, "Nancy2" > wrote:

> I assume you're talking about baked beans? I like Bush's original. I
> don't need Duke's recipe, though, because I doctor them up myself.
> LOL.
>
> N.

I like baked beans, just any kind. I like beans.. I figure they make
me strong.

I cooked a pot of Navy beans recently, blah.. tasted like boiled
beans.

Barry

I've had Bush's, I guess I'm thinking more like.. tastes like beans
you cook on the stove top.

Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ireland's Ranch Style Beans. (regional to Texas & Oklahoma.. spicy
pintos or are they red beans?)

Ted

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Barry" > wrote:

> Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
> especially)
>
> Besides this, I consider them a little to salty.
>
> Thanks
>
> Barry

Green? Baked? Lima? Yellow Wax?
If I'm buying canned baked beans, I buy B&M with molasses and brown
sugar and bacon. I prefer to buy Captain Ken's frozen baked beans;
may be a regional item, though.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - snow pics added 3-3-2007

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 12:44 pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article .com>,
>
> "Barry" > wrote:
> > Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
> > especially)

> > Besides this, I consider them a little to salty.

> > Thanks

> > Barry

> Green? Baked? Lima? Yellow Wax?
> If I'm buying canned baked beans, I buy B&M with molasses and brown
> sugar and bacon. I prefer to buy Captain Ken's frozen baked beans;
> may be a regional item, though.

I grew up on Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans, with added ketchup and
molasses. Now I doctor mine with mustard, ginger, tomato paste and
molasses.

Tried making my own a couple of times. Burnt the first batch, and the
second was too dry. Decided I liked the canned ones<G>.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 10:44 am, "Barry" > wrote:
> Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
> especially)

I keep Goya black beans and garbanzo beans in the pantry. Haven't
tried any of their red beans or pintos because I like to cook those
myself.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"maxine in ri" wrote:

> I grew up on Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans.

Of all the canned those are my favorites too... and I can't explain
why I choose the vegetarian version (instead of pork and) and then
prepare them with tube steak. I've tried Campbell's version, blech!

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"maxine in ri" > wrote:

> Tried making my own a couple of times. Burnt the first batch, and the
> second was too dry. Decided I liked the canned ones<G>.
>
> maxine in ri

Mine were like little brown bullets. Sister Anne's recipe, SHE was the
baked bean queen in the family. Captain Ken's are great. :-)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - snow pics added 3-3-2007
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I second the vote for Bush's beans (regular baked beans,
or vegetarian), and if you can find it the Heinz "Baked Beanz"
that are 50% less sugar and salt. Another choice is
Ranch Style Beans.

But often I just buy what's cheapest at Grocery Outlet.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote on 7 Mar 2007 10:14:33 -0800:

S> "maxine in ri" wrote:
??>>
??>> I grew up on Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans.

S> Of all the canned those are my favorites too... and I can't
S> explain why I choose the vegetarian version (instead of pork
S> and) and then prepare them with tube steak. I've tried
S> Campbell's version, blech!

Nothing wrong with Camp's Vegetarian Beans either. A can is
helped by the addition of 1/2 tsp dry mustard.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Barry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
> especially)
>
> Besides this, I consider them a little to salty.
>
> Thanks

Bush's. But it really depends what kind of beans. AND they are all going to
be salty. If you don't want salty, don't buy canned. You know how to cook
beans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"dtwright37" > wrote:

> On Mar 7, 10:44 am, "Barry" > wrote:
> > Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
> > especially)
> >

> I keep Goya black beans and garbanzo beans in the pantry. Haven't
> tried any of their red beans or pintos because I like to cook those
> myself.
>
> David

I recall one of the cooking magazines doing taste tests on garbanzos
recently and they said Goya tasted best by far. Our grocery does not
have these.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma wrote on Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:29:06 -0600:

??>> On Mar 7, 10:44 am, "Barry" > wrote:
??>>> Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them.
??>>> (on top especially)
??>>>
??>> I keep Goya black beans and garbanzo beans in the pantry.
??>> Haven't tried any of their red beans or pintos because I
??>> like to cook those myself.
??>>

Goya is not a bad source for a lot of things! Their "extra
virgin" (damnfool name IMHO :-) olive oil is good and Consumer
Reports agrees.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 11:02 am, "Barry" > wrote:
> On Mar 7, 11:55 am, "Nancy2" > wrote:
>
> > I assume you're talking about baked beans? I like Bush's original. I
> > don't need Duke's recipe, though, because I doctor them up myself.
> > LOL.

> > N.

> I like baked beans, just any kind. I like beans.. I figure they make
> me strong.
>
> I cooked a pot of Navy beans recently, blah.. tasted like boiled
> beans.
>
> Barry
>
> I've had Bush's, I guess I'm thinking more like.. tastes like beans
> you cook on the stove top.
>
> Thanks

Well, you have to improve them so they taste more like home-made. I
add ketchup, yellow mustard, a little sweet pickle relish, some finely
diced onion, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce, AFTER draining out
most of the juice in the can. Then I let it heat at a low temperature
either on top the stove or in the oven for an hour or more.

For homemade from scratch, I use the Better Homes & Gardens recipe,
which I can't access at the moment.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> "maxine in ri" wrote:
>>
>> I grew up on Heinz Vegetarian Baked Beans.

> Of all the canned those are my favorites too... and I can't explain
> why I choose the vegetarian version (instead of pork and) and then
> prepare them with tube steak. I've tried Campbell's version, blech!

They say these are the closest American canned beans to the ones
traditionally served for breakfast in England. (Part of the "Full English
Breakfast.")

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dtwright37" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 7, 10:44 am, "Barry" > wrote:
>> Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
>> especially)
>>

> I keep Goya black beans and garbanzo beans in the pantry. Haven't
> tried any of their red beans or pintos because I like to cook those
> myself.

Goya black bean soup is sooooo good, and in fact is good rolled in a
tortilla with cheddar and hot sauce, and sour cream on the side!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

>> I keep Goya black beans and garbanzo beans in the pantry. Haven't
>> tried any of their red beans or pintos because I like to cook those
>> myself.
>>

> Goya black bean soup is sooooo good, and in fact is good rolled in a
> tortilla with cheddar and hot sauce, and sour cream on the side!

This reminds me that I've not found Goya's Guava Paste in ages. That
long wrapped package of sticky, sweet guava paste is a treat when served
slivered on top of slices of good cheddar cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> cybercat wrote:
>
>>> I keep Goya black beans and garbanzo beans in the pantry. Haven't
>>> tried any of their red beans or pintos because I like to cook those
>>> myself.
>>>

>> Goya black bean soup is sooooo good, and in fact is good rolled in a
>> tortilla with cheddar and hot sauce, and sour cream on the side!

> This reminds me that I've not found Goya's Guava Paste in ages. That long
> wrapped package of sticky, sweet guava paste is a treat when served
> slivered on top of slices of good cheddar cheese.

Mmm. I love fresh guava but never tried this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:29:06 -0600, Emma Thackery >
wrote:

>I recall one of the cooking magazines doing taste tests on garbanzos
>recently and they said Goya tasted best by far. Our grocery does not
>have these.

Does your grocery store have a Hispanic section? The Goya beans might
be there.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote

> On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:29:06 -0600, Emma Thackery >
> wrote:

>>I recall one of the cooking magazines doing taste tests on garbanzos
>>recently and they said Goya tasted best by far. Our grocery does not
>>have these.

> Does your grocery store have a Hispanic section? The Goya beans might
> be there.

I remember their ads used to say Look in the Goya section.
I know in my supermarket, Goya does have its own section,
in this case by the rice and beans.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Tara > wrote:

> On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:29:06 -0600, Emma Thackery >
> wrote:
>

> >I recall one of the cooking magazines doing taste tests on garbanzos
> >recently and they said Goya tasted best by far. Our grocery does not
> >have these.

> Does your grocery store have a Hispanic section? The Goya beans might
> be there.

Yep. But it's not there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 6:18 pm, Tara > wrote:

> Does your grocery store have a Hispanic section? The Goya beans might
> be there.
>
> Tara

Well.. WHICH BEANS HAVE LESS GAS IN THEM?

Beany Barry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 14:41:59 -0500, "James Silverton"
<not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:

> Emma wrote on Wed, 07 Mar 2007 13:29:06 -0600:
>
> ??>> On Mar 7, 10:44 am, "Barry" > wrote:
> ??>>> Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them.
> ??>>> (on top especially)
> ??>>>
> ??>> I keep Goya black beans and garbanzo beans in the pantry.
> ??>> Haven't tried any of their red beans or pintos because I
> ??>> like to cook those myself.
> ??>>
>
>Goya is not a bad source for a lot of things! Their "extra
>virgin" (damnfool name IMHO :-) olive oil is good and Consumer
>Reports agrees.
>

>James Silverton
>Potomac, Maryland

that's what i buy. good price, small bottle so it doesn't go rancid.
i'm not a bread-dipper, though.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 12:54 pm, "dtwright37" > wrote:

> I keep Goya black beans and garbanzo beans in the pantry. Haven't
> tried any of their red beans or pintos because I like to cook those
> myself.

My Food Lion has Goya stuffs... I've never tried them, Ill have to
pick some up.

Bary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Barry" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Mar 7, 12:54 pm, "dtwright37" > wrote:
>
>> I keep Goya black beans and garbanzo beans in the pantry. Haven't
>> tried any of their red beans or pintos because I like to cook those
>> myself.

> My Food Lion has Goya stuffs... I've never tried them, Ill have to
> pick some up.

Goood stuff. Get the black bean soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Barry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 7, 6:18 pm, Tara > wrote:
>
>> Does your grocery store have a Hispanic section? The Goya beans might
>> be there.
>>
>> Tara

> Well.. WHICH BEANS HAVE LESS GAS IN THEM?
>
> Beany Barry

hahaha! When you soak them overnight, pour the water off
and put new in and you lose a lot of the gas. But that is for
dried beans you cook from scratch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 7, 11:03 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:

> Goood stuff. Get the black bean soup.

mmm, maybe, if I can find a good heaby loaf of gourmet bread.
maybe a spurt of lime juice for the beans?

maybe some smoked turkey breast on the fresh bread? toasted with
cheddar?
be sure butter the brid

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Green? Baked? Lima? Yellow Wax?
> If I'm buying canned baked beans, I buy B&M with molasses and brown
> sugar and bacon. I prefer to buy Captain Ken's frozen baked beans;
> may be a regional item, though.

I'm with you on the B&M for baked beans. But when I can't find them I use
the Bush's Boston Baked. Progresso's Garbanzo and Cannellini, Bush's Black
Eye Peas and Goya Black Beans.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barry wrote:
> Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
> especially)
>
> Besides this, I consider them a little to salty.
>
> Thanks
>
> Barry

If you mean baked beans, I like B&M. My favorite variety is barbecue , but
brown sugar and onion is outstanding, too. They are the only baked beans,
other than home made, that I'll serve without doctoring.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 8, 9:18 am, "Janet Puistonen" > wrote:

> If you mean baked beans, I like B&M. My favorite variety is barbecue , but
> brown sugar and onion is outstanding, too. They are the only baked beans,
> other than home made, that I'll serve without doctoring.

A can of beans with BM on the side of it sounds promising.

Barry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Barry wrote:

> Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
> especially)
>
> Besides this, I consider them a little to salty.
>
> Thanks
>
> Barry

As far as I am concerned there is none. They're all too
mushy although some are not quite as mushy as others.
And the cans are usually all sauce which is not very good
and needs doctoring up. Not that hard to make your own
beans. Takes a lot of time, though, but not difficult
at all.

Here's my favorite recipe:

BOSTON BAKED BEANS

1 lb. Great Northern beans
2 t. prepared mustard
pepper to taste
1 T. salt
onion powder to taste (or fresh, chopped onions to taste)
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. molasses
2 T. vinegar
gr. cinnamon to taste (1/2-1 t., perhaps)
gr. cloves to taste (1/4-1/2 t., perhaps)
dash Worcestershire sauce
thick-sliced bacon (get good stuff at the deli counter, not that
pathetic pre-packaged stuff)

Soak beans overnight in cold water (in refrigerator if house is warm).
Change water and put in large pot and bring to boil. Simmer until skins
wrinkle when you blow on them. Add remaining ingredients except bacon.
Put in large casserole. Bake at 250F for 6-8 hours. Do not cover.
If liquid gets too low add water. It’s good if they get a little dry on
top and the sugar caramelizes. It gives it a good flavor. Stir this
back in every so often. During the last half hour raise temperature to
350F and put bacon pieces on top. Cook until bacon is crisp and brown.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

> Barry wrote:
>
>> Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
>> especially)
>>
>> Besides this, I consider them a little to salty.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Barry

> As far as I am concerned there is none. They're all too
> mushy although some are not quite as mushy as others.
> And the cans are usually all sauce which is not very good
> and needs doctoring up. Not that hard to make your own
> beans. Takes a lot of time, though, but not difficult
> at all.
>
> Here's my favorite recipe:
>
> BOSTON BAKED BEANS
>
> 1 lb. Great Northern beans
> 2 t. prepared mustard
> pepper to taste
> 1 T. salt
> onion powder to taste (or fresh, chopped onions to taste)
> 1/4 c. brown sugar
> 1/4 c. molasses
> 2 T. vinegar
> gr. cinnamon to taste (1/2-1 t., perhaps)
> gr. cloves to taste (1/4-1/2 t., perhaps)
> dash Worcestershire sauce
> thick-sliced bacon (get good stuff at the deli counter, not that
> pathetic pre-packaged stuff)
>
> Soak beans overnight in cold water (in refrigerator if house is warm).
> Change water and put in large pot and bring to boil. Simmer until skins
> wrinkle when you blow on them. Add remaining ingredients except bacon.
> Put in large casserole. Bake at 250F for 6-8 hours. Do not cover. If
> liquid gets too low add water. It’s good if they get a little dry on
> top and the sugar caramelizes. It gives it a good flavor. Stir this
> back in every so often. During the last half hour raise temperature to
> 350F and put bacon pieces on top. Cook until bacon is crisp and brown.
>
> Kate

I was assuming he meant "baked" beans. There are other
good plain canned beans like black beans, black-eyed peas,
etc.

Kate
--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kate Connally wrote:

> As far as I am concerned there is none. They're all too
> mushy although some are not quite as mushy as others.
> And the cans are usually all sauce which is not very good
> and needs doctoring up. Not that hard to make your own
> beans. Takes a lot of time, though, but not difficult
> at all.
> Kate

You ought to pick up a jar (not can) of the B&M and give them a try.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote in message
> Kate Connally wrote:
>>
>> As far as I am concerned there is none. They're all too
>> mushy although some are not quite as mushy as others.
>> And the cans are usually all sauce which is not very good
>> and needs doctoring up. Not that hard to make your own
>> beans. Takes a lot of time, though, but not difficult
>> at all.
>> Kate

> You ought to pick up a jar (not can) of the B&M and give them a try.

They are good. The beans are smallish, have you noticed that? At any rate, I
am not a baked bean snob, because it seems to me the beans are just vehicles
for a whole bunch of brown sugar, bacon, etc. Nutritionally, they might as
well be dessert with a bit of fiber.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Barry" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 8, 9:18 am, "Janet Puistonen" > wrote:
>
>> If you mean baked beans, I like B&M. My favorite variety is barbecue ,
>> but
>> brown sugar and onion is outstanding, too. They are the only baked
>> beans,
>> other than home made, that I'll serve without doctoring.

> A can of beans with BM on the side of it sounds promising.

hey, they are good beans! They come in little brown jars, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Barry wrote:
> Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
> especially)
>
> Besides this, I consider them a little to salty.
>
> Thanks
>
> Barry

Bush's Original or Onion varieties.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

-L. said...

> Barry wrote:
>> Luck's brand of canned beans has a lot of paste in them. (on top
>> especially)
>>
>> Besides this, I consider them a little to salty.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Barry

> Bush's Original or Onion varieties.
>
> -L.

I like both B&M or Bush's Original with hotdogs sliced up and cooked in.

I'm not above Hormel's canned "chili with beans" and ritz crackers either.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> They are good. The beans are smallish, have you noticed that? At any
> rate, I am not a baked bean snob, because it seems to me the beans
> are just vehicles for a whole bunch of brown sugar, bacon, etc.
> Nutritionally, they might as well be dessert with a bit of fiber.

Yes I think they are made with red beans not sure of the proper name for
them. I do know that I have seen fresh small red beans from time to time for
sale though not very often.

I agree with that and I have been known to add bacon, onions, bell pepper
and peach pie filling to baked beans. Then finish them off in the oven. I
got a recipe from the Food Network about a year ago and gave it a try. I
know my grandkids went though the whole 5qt pot full in one afternoon at a
BBQ. You can look at the recipe at FN by searching for JACK'S Peach BBQ
Beans. I use the B&M over the Bush which the recipe calls for.

--

Joe Cilinceon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Joe Cilinceon" > wrote:

> Yes I think they are made with red beans not sure of the proper name for
> them. I do know that I have seen fresh small red beans from time to time
> for sale though not very often.

They're good, they're firmer or something. Definitely browner, too.

> I agree with that and I have been known to add bacon, onions, bell pepper
> and peach pie filling to baked beans. Then finish them off in the oven. I
> got a recipe from the Food Network about a year ago and gave it a try. I
> know my grandkids went though the whole 5qt pot full in one afternoon at a
> BBQ. You can look at the recipe at FN by searching for JACK'S Peach BBQ
> Beans. I use the B&M over the Bush which the recipe calls for.

Peach pie filling! That's a new one. I can see it.

Now I want peach cobbler .... mmmm .... hot ...

And Breyers Vanilla bean ....