Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fun with Comcast tech support!

TRUE.

Tech support?

Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.

Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?

Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.

Jessica: You should call giganews.

Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers, giganews.comcast.net!

Jessica: I can't help you.

Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?

Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make sure
we're doing our job.

SHOOT ME!!!!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> TRUE.
>
> Tech support?
>
> Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.
>
> Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?
>
> Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.
>
> Jessica: You should call giganews.
>
> Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers,
> giganews.comcast.net!
>
> Jessica: I can't help you.
>
> Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?
>
> Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make sure
> we're doing our job.
>
> SHOOT ME!!!!!!
>
> Andy

Lucky you reached an American. Usually, when I need tech support they're
either from India, China or the Philippines, with names like Tammy, Cyndi or
Ron. Yeah, right

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

limey said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> TRUE.
>>
>> Tech support?
>>
>> Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.
>>
>> Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?
>>
>> Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.
>>
>> Jessica: You should call giganews.
>>
>> Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers,
>> giganews.comcast.net!
>>
>> Jessica: I can't help you.
>>
>> Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?
>>
>> Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make
>> sure we're doing our job.
>>
>> SHOOT ME!!!!!!
>>
>> Andy

> Lucky you reached an American.
>
> Dora

Somehow, I don't share your enthusiasm!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> TRUE.
>
> Tech support?
>
> Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.

Heh, well Andy, I'm having newserver problems here, too.
Comcast. Looks like it's feeling better. I guess. My cable
was a little wacked out earlier, as well.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> TRUE.
>
> Tech support?
>
> Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.
>
> Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?
>
> Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.
>
> Jessica: You should call giganews.
>
> Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers,
> giganews.comcast.net!
>
> Jessica: I can't help you.
>
> Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?
>
> Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make
> sure we're doing our job.
>
> SHOOT ME!!!!!!
>
> Andy

I'll never forget the BellSouth tech who told me my having a 56K modem was
my problem. Back in the days of dial-up. Excuse me?! Maybe your lines
can't handle it but modems step down to match the signal. She insisted it
was my modem; turned out it was a problem with a phone line. Ain't tech
support fun? The first thing I did when I got a call about connectivity was
check the WAN/LAN lines. PING!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
>> TRUE.
>>
>> Tech support?
>>
>> Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.

> Heh, well Andy, I'm having newserver problems here, too.
> Comcast. Looks like it's feeling better. I guess. My cable
> was a little wacked out earlier, as well.
>
> nancy

It was probably widespread.

I had a hell of a time convincing Jessica that my email and web browser
worked but usenet didn't.

I have a newfound fear of Jessicas at NORAD.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote:
> TRUE.
>
> Tech support?
>
> Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.
>
> Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?
>
> Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.
>
> Jessica: You should call giganews.
>
> Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers,
> giganews.comcast.net!
>
> Jessica: I can't help you.
>
> Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?
>
> Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make sure
> we're doing our job.

One of the typical tech support scripts I used to get, no matter what the
problem was, asked me to reboot my computer and power off and on my modem.
If that didn't work, they'd ask me to reinstall Windows. I guess they put
that into the script to get rid of the customer for awhile... a long while!

What amazed me about the whole "Windows" world is that "control-alt-delete"
was a completely acceptable solution to virtually every problem. Coming from
a commercial data processing world, where computers stayed up for months and
at times over a year at a time, rebooting was not considered a reasonable
solution to problems. Luckily Windows has improved dramatically over the
years, and might some day even achieve the reliability of those older
systems.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

She is still working there!!!! I got the same information and advice from
comcast a few years back. Apparently some of them do not want to deal with
Usenet. I said the same thing, it's your product - you're supporting it.
Call giganews. They knew nothing and said that Comcast does that all the
time when they don't want to deal with the issue.

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> TRUE.
>
> Tech support?
>
> Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.
>
> Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?
>
> Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.
>
> Jessica: You should call giganews.
>
> Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers,

giganews.comcast.net!

> Jessica: I can't help you.
>
> Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?
>
> Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make sure
> we're doing our job.
>
> SHOOT ME!!!!!!
>
> Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 14:28:47 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>TRUE.
>
>Tech support?
>
>Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.
>
>Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?
>
>Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.
>
>Jessica: You should call giganews.
>
>Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers, giganews.comcast.net!
>
>Jessica: I can't help you.
>
>Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?
>
>Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make sure
>we're doing our job.
>
>SHOOT ME!!!!!!

I *know* and I feel your pain. This hasn't happened to me "lately",
but it has and they are masters at passing the buck. "Not our fault,
contact Giganews" which can't be contacted. I tell them that as a
LARGE part of Giganews' income, they should be in direct contact with
them and at least be aware of when the news servers are down. It's
really exasperating at the very least.

I don't know about you, but comcast is the only game in town so that's
what I have. Everyone else who claims "cable" goes through comcast.
I want my access as direct as possible.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> TRUE.
>
> Tech support?
>
> Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.
>
> Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?
>
> Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.
>
> Jessica: You should call giganews.
>
> Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers, giganews.comcast.net!
>
> Jessica: I can't help you.
>
> Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?
>
> Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make sure
> we're doing our job.
>
> SHOOT ME!!!!!!

Sometimes Comcast can have its moments. When the Super Bowl was on last
month, I decided to watch it at home on my high definition TV, so I
tuned into the HD channel to watch it and the channel was blank. All the
HD channels were blank. Ugh!

I called Comcast to complain. The first representative with whom I spoke
insisted that I did not subscribe to HDTV service. Wrong! I even pay
extra to have a DVR that can record HD shows and I pay Comcast for that
DVR. So, off to a supervisor, I went. On hold for five minutes, then I
am told its the wrong department. I was told that since I live in South
Jersey, I should have been transferred to another department, so off I
go on hold again while being transferred. Then talk, talk, talk, but get
nowhere. Then transfer, hold again. Finally, someone tells me, we are
having problems with the HDTV channels in my area. No kidding! I finally
just hung up. A few minutes later when I checked, the HDTV service was
restored.

Then there was the time several months ago, where for some reason, my
Comcast DVR started displaying an annoying screen saver at precisely
1:00am. I like to sometimes watch TV late at night and this screen saver
would kick in and blank out the picture with text floating around on the
screen that said to press any key to continue. I read all through the
DVR's manual and its online help and I went to the company's web site
that made the DVR, Scientific Atlanta, and I couldn't figure out how to
turn off that annoying screen saver. I still haven't figured it out, and
calling Comcast to have them tell me how to disable it got me nowhere.
They insist that my TV is doing that, which is flat out wrong. My
solution will be to buy a TiVo and get rid of the Comcast crappy DVR,
but I am waiting for a HDTV compatible TiVo that hopefully allows me to
save shows on external storage. Sigh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf says...
> On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 14:28:47 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
> >TRUE.
> >
> >Tech support?
> >
> >Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.
> >
> >Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?
> >
> >Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.
> >
> >Jessica: You should call giganews.
> >
> >Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers, giganews.comcast.net!
> >
> >Jessica: I can't help you.
> >
> >Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?
> >
> >Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make sure
> >we're doing our job.
> >
> >SHOOT ME!!!!!!
> >

> I *know* and I feel your pain. This hasn't happened to me "lately",
> but it has and they are masters at passing the buck. "Not our fault,
> contact Giganews" which can't be contacted. I tell them that as a
> LARGE part of Giganews' income, they should be in direct contact with
> them and at least be aware of when the news servers are down. It's
> really exasperating at the very least.
>
> I don't know about you, but comcast is the only game in town so that's
> what I have. Everyone else who claims "cable" goes through comcast.
> I want my access as direct as possible.

Some of us have Cox, and while it's vastly superior to Comcast, it has
its own problems.

For example - they love hiring subcontractors to do upgrades. Except in
the last case the subcontractor screwed up the amplifiers which made net
service hiccup constantly in many locations.

At least they know about it now.

Cox does host its own nntp servers. But every now and then, for no
reason whatsoever they'll reset all the article numbers. That's always
fun.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote:
> TRUE.
>
> Tech support?
>
> Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.
>
> Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?
>
> Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.
>
> Jessica: You should call giganews.
>
> Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers,
> giganews.comcast.net!
>
> Jessica: I can't help you.
>
> Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?
>
> Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make sure
> we're doing our job.

I know I shouldn't have said anything, or I'd be cursed. Shortly after
posting my other reply to this topic, I started having problems with my
Verizon DSL connection. All network activity was extremely slow. Traceroute
showed a delay of 2,000 ms at the first hop. That was about 10 PM last
night. I thought it would go away by morning, but it didn't. I called
Verizon tech support and went through support hell. I'm pretty familiar with
the computers and networking, having worked in that field for 30 years. I
was pretty sure the issue was at the central office end of my DSL
connection.

I "humored" them and went through all the motions. Disconnected my router
and connected directly to the modem. Used a second computer directly
connected to the modem. Eliminated the two computers and router from being
the problem. So it was the DSL modem or upstream. The DSL modem status
lights looked completely normal. I tried my best to get them to investigate
the central office end and upstream. No go, they either wouldn't or
couldn't. So I needed a new DSL modem. Then the kicker... they wanted me to
pay for it! No way.

I asked for a supervisor and finally got one on the line. I went through all
we had done. I told her as far as I am concerned the modem was Verizon's
responsibility. I told her I really don't want to start calling the other
end of Verizon (from the top) and work down to get the problem solved. She
transfered me to someone who immediately said he would send a new modem
right out. I had told him I expected the problem to correct itself before
the new modem ever arrived, since I believe the problem is at their end.

So I'm getting a new DSL modem for free and have the confirmation number for
the order. It took 2-1/2 hours on the phone to get to this point.

About a half hour after the close of this series of conversations (tech rep,
supervisor, customer retention), I test again. Wouldn't you know, I'm back
up to full speed and everything is A-OKAY. I'm not calling to cancel the
free modem order yet, but will let it ship. I'll inform them of the status
at the time I receive the modem. I expect the status will continue to be as
I see it now... the problem was at their end in the central office.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 08:16:26 -0500, T >
wrote:

>> I don't know about you, but comcast is the only game in town so that's
>> what I have. Everyone else who claims "cable" goes through comcast.
>> I want my access as direct as possible.

>Some of us have Cox, and while it's vastly superior to Comcast, it has
>its own problems.

Gee, I have had Comcast for several years and it has been
exceptionally reliable in my opinion. I guess it depends on where you
are.

--
Zilbandy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> In article >, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>> TRUE.
>>
>> Tech support?
>>
>> Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.
>>
>> Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?
>>
>> Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.
>>
>> Jessica: You should call giganews.
>>
>> Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers,
>> giganews.comcast.net!
>>
>> Jessica: I can't help you.
>>
>> Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?
>>
>> Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make
>> sure
>> we're doing our job.
>>
>> SHOOT ME!!!!!!

> Sometimes Comcast can have its moments. When the Super Bowl was on last
> month, I decided to watch it at home on my high definition TV, so I
> tuned into the HD channel to watch it and the channel was blank. All the
> HD channels were blank. Ugh!
>
> I called Comcast to complain. The first representative with whom I spoke
> insisted that I did not subscribe to HDTV service. Wrong! I even pay
> extra to have a DVR that can record HD shows and I pay Comcast for that
> DVR. So, off to a supervisor, I went. On hold for five minutes, then I
> am told its the wrong department. I was told that since I live in South
> Jersey, I should have been transferred to another department, so off I
> go on hold again while being transferred. Then talk, talk, talk, but get
> nowhere. Then transfer, hold again. Finally, someone tells me, we are
> having problems with the HDTV channels in my area. No kidding! I finally
> just hung up. A few minutes later when I checked, the HDTV service was
> restored.
>
> Then there was the time several months ago, where for some reason, my
> Comcast DVR started displaying an annoying screen saver at precisely
> 1:00am. I like to sometimes watch TV late at night and this screen saver
> would kick in and blank out the picture with text floating around on the
> screen that said to press any key to continue. I read all through the
> DVR's manual and its online help and I went to the company's web site
> that made the DVR, Scientific Atlanta, and I couldn't figure out how to
> turn off that annoying screen saver. I still haven't figured it out, and
> calling Comcast to have them tell me how to disable it got me nowhere.
> They insist that my TV is doing that, which is flat out wrong. My
> solution will be to buy a TiVo and get rid of the Comcast crappy DVR,
> but I am waiting for a HDTV compatible TiVo that hopefully allows me to
> save shows on external storage. Sigh!

When we lived in Philly we had cable thru Comcast. When we went 'hi-tech'
and got a television with cable jacks we no longer needed the cable box.
Called them to pick it up. They then send me a bill for the box. They kept
billing me and billing me for a box packaged on the floor beside the door
waiting for the pick up they promised me. After about three months of
increasing bills for the cost of the box (hey, I didn't have a problem
paying for cable, I just wasn't buying the damn box that I didn't need) I
sent them a bill. I pro-rated a storage fee for everyday after the original
date they gave me to pick up the damned thing. Needless to say, two days
after I sent that bill to them they picked it up....no charge to me.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 21:27:09 -0500, "Virginia Tadrzynski"
> wrote:
>
>When we lived in Philly we had cable thru Comcast. When we went 'hi-tech'
>and got a television with cable jacks we no longer needed the cable box.
>Called them to pick it up. They then send me a bill for the box. They kept
>billing me and billing me for a box packaged on the floor beside the door
>waiting for the pick up they promised me. After about three months of
>increasing bills for the cost of the box (hey, I didn't have a problem
>paying for cable, I just wasn't buying the damn box that I didn't need) I
>sent them a bill. I pro-rated a storage fee for everyday after the original
>date they gave me to pick up the damned thing. Needless to say, two days
>after I sent that bill to them they picked it up....no charge to me.
>-ginny

My daughter used (and paid for)a box that gave her extended services
until she moved out 2-3 years ago. Comcast stopped billing
immediately, but they never picked it up in spite of several pick up
appointments. I don't even know where it is now.

I suppose their pick up rate is so bad because they send out "death
rays" occasionally to kill all the (black) boxes that are not on their
subscriber list. It probably costs them less to kill unpaid boxes
than it costs to pick them up... so they don't care.

--
See return address to reply by email

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> TRUE.
>
> Tech support?
>
> Andy: The giganews usenet newserver crashed.
>
> Jessica: Did you disable your antivirus protection?
>
> Andy: I'll bet a year's salary it's your fault not mine.
>
> Jessica: You should call giganews.
>
> Andy: It's a comcast service provided to subscribers, giganews.comcast.net!
>
> Jessica: I can't help you.
>
> Andy: Can I speak to a supervisor?
>
> Jessica: There's no one here. Just the people who walk around to make sure
> we're doing our job.
>
> SHOOT ME!!!!!!

We pay a lot of money for our ISP. We could save a lot. We could get
service like yours. Last summer, I convinced my sister to upgrade her
service. Many phone calls. The ISP said to call the phone company.
The phone company said to call the ISP.

My ISP contracts with the phone company. I don't. If there is a
problem with my computer connection, the ISP deals with it.