Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking pasta-oil or salt and why?

Used both and none. Just curious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> Used both and none. Just curious.

Adding oil to the pasta water achieves absolutely nothing. Putting a little
in the pot after draining and putting the pasta back in may add a scent or
flavor you might like, if you're using olive oil. 1/2 teaspoon for a half
pound (before cooking) of spaghetti is enough to do this.

Salt in the water adds a bit of flavor, and the pasta doesn't aborb much.
But, the flavor really should come from whatever you're serving the pasta
with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
-L. -L. is offline

Kswck wrote:
> Used both and none. Just curious.

Salt if you want the pasta salted. IME, a bit of oil will keep most
pots from boiling over. I just run a tiny bit of butter around the
rim of the pot.

-L.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 3:02 pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
> Used both and none. Just curious.

No oil. Keep it starchy so the sauce will stick to it after cooking.

Salt it. It's the only chance the pasta will have to be seasoned
before it goes into the sauce.

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I use none of either. As for the oil I learned years ago that the foam that
develops on top of boiling pasta is because you're boiling it in not enough
water. Use a big pot and lots of water and the foam is never an issue. The
salt thing is that I never think of it and the pasta taste just fine. Why
add more sodium in our diet.

Lynne

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> Used both and none. Just curious.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

King's Crown wrote on 03 Mar 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> I use none of either. As for the oil I learned years ago that the
> foam that develops on top of boiling pasta is because you're boiling
> it in not enough water. Use a big pot and lots of water and the foam
> is never an issue. The salt thing is that I never think of it and the
> pasta taste just fine. Why add more sodium in our diet.
>
> Lynne
>
> "Kswck" > wrote in message
> > Used both and none. Just curious.

I use a chicken bullion cube or two....adds more flavour than just salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
> Used both and none. Just curious.

I use a paper towel dipped in olive oil to run around the top inch or so of the pan
to prevent boil-overs.
I add salt to the water for the flavor.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Kswck" > wrote:

> Used both and none. Just curious.

A little salt for flavor enhancement; a little oil in the water to
reduce boil-over. The oil in the kettle is *not* for preventing the
noodles from sticking to each other.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog updated 3-1-07, Gumbo!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

King's wrote on Sat, 3 Mar 2007 13:51:47 -0800:

Ks> Lynne

I'd follow along! I used to use a few drops of oil to prevent
sticking but I've not noticed any problems with leaving out it
or salt.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 3:02 pm, "Kswck" > wrote:
> Used both and none. Just curious.

So, there ya go; with all these opinions, it's up to you to decide
what *you* like. (Just as it always is!) :-)

David

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Kswck" > wrote:
>
>> Used both and none. Just curious.

> A little salt for flavor enhancement; a little oil in the water to
> reduce boil-over. The oil in the kettle is *not* for preventing the
> noodles from sticking to each other.
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

I can't believe you've thrown in with the retards who don't know how to turn
down the burner by 2-5% to ***ELIMINATE*** boil over, mother superior. Oil
shmoil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> I can't believe you've thrown in with the retards who don't know how to turn
> down the burner by 2-5% to ***ELIMINATE*** boil over, mother superior. Oil
> shmoil.

Feh. I cook with electricity and especially on my smooth top stove,
instant change isn't so. actually, I rarely have a problem with it -- I
usually use a large kettle. Or else I put the pasta into the water,
stir it around, and let it sit for a few minutes off the heat, then
drain.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - snow pics added 3-3-2007
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>> I can't believe you've thrown in with the retards who don't know how to
>> turn
>> down the burner by 2-5% to ***ELIMINATE*** boil over, mother superior.
>> Oil
>> shmoil.

> Feh. I cook with electricity and especially on my smooth top stove,
> instant change isn't so. actually, I rarely have a problem with it -- I
> usually use a large kettle. Or else I put the pasta into the water,
> stir it around, and let it sit for a few minutes off the heat, then
> drain.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

I cook with an electric stove too, although a real one, not a smooth top.
Boiling over is never a problem. You should pay attention to the pasta, and
get you hands out of your habit, mother superior. At least until after
dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 4:51 pm, "King's Crown" > wrote:
> I use none of either. As for the oil I learned years ago that the foam that
> develops on top of boiling pasta is because you're boiling it in not enough
> water. Use a big pot and lots of water and the foam is never an issue. The
> salt thing is that I never think of it and the pasta taste just fine. Why
> add more sodium in our diet.

Because it tastes good and I have no problem with
my blood pressure.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 3, 3:17 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Kswck" > wrote in message

> > Used both and none. Just curious.

> Adding oil to the pasta water achieves absolutely nothing. Putting a little
> in the pot after draining and putting the pasta back in may add a scent or
> flavor you might like, if you're using olive oil. 1/2 teaspoon for a half
> pound (before cooking) of spaghetti is enough to do this.
>
> Salt in the water adds a bit of flavor, and the pasta doesn't aborb much.
> But, the flavor really should come from whatever you're serving the pasta
> with.

Doesn't salt also raise the boiling point of the water?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher Helms" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 3, 3:17 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>> "Kswck" > wrote in message

>> > Used both and none. Just curious.

>> Adding oil to the pasta water achieves absolutely nothing. Putting a
>> little
>> in the pot after draining and putting the pasta back in may add a scent
>> or
>> flavor you might like, if you're using olive oil. 1/2 teaspoon for a half
>> pound (before cooking) of spaghetti is enough to do this.
>>
>> Salt in the water adds a bit of flavor, and the pasta doesn't aborb much.
>> But, the flavor really should come from whatever you're serving the pasta
>> with.

> Doesn't salt also raise the boiling point of the water?

Beats me. But, since my boiling water recipe works to my satisfaction, I
haven't considered the question.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"Christopher Helms" > wrote:

> Doesn't salt also raise the boiling point of the water?

Salt lowers the boiling point of water. If you add salt when the water
has already boiled, the temperature of the water will increase.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article .com>,
"Christopher Helms" > wrote:

> On Mar 3, 3:17 pm, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> > "Kswck" > wrote in message

> > > Used both and none. Just curious.

> > Adding oil to the pasta water achieves absolutely nothing.

It kills the foam and can prevent a boil-over.

IMO, salt *in* the pasta tastes significantly better than salt *on* the
pasta later.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"isw" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> "Christopher Helms" > wrote:

>> > Adding oil to the pasta water achieves absolutely nothing.

> It kills the foam and can prevent a boil-over.

That's been mentioned several times, and I'm sure it works, but something
else also prevents boilovers: A brain and a functioning pair of eyes.