Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mandolines / MIU

Any thoughts on choosing and the usefulness of a mandoline? Costco has an
MIU stainless one with a variety of blades for around $50 (or maybe a few
dollars more).

I know they can be very useful for making even slices of things like
potatoes and such, but if you own one, do you really use it enough to make
it worth the space (I live in an apartment)?

The MIU model at costco is the type that has a lever to change the thickness
of the cut. Would a dial setting type be a much better choice?

Thanks for your thoughts...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 10:14 pm, "anon" > wrote:
> Any thoughts on choosing and the usefulness of a mandoline? Costco has an
> MIU stainless one with a variety of blades for around $50 (or maybe a few
> dollars more).
>
> I know they can be very useful for making even slices of things like
> potatoes and such, but if you own one, do you really use it enough to make
> it worth the space (I live in an apartment)?
>
> The MIU model at costco is the type that has a lever to change the thickness
> of the cut. Would a dial setting type be a much better choice?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts...

If space is an issue I'd go for something that multitasks better, like
a food processor. I do use my mandoline, but it is not a kitchen
essential. I find that I use mine a couple times a month or less.
Comes in handiest when I make sweet potato waffle fries.

Jessica

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"anon" > wrote in message
rio.net...
> Any thoughts on choosing and the usefulness of a mandoline? Costco has an
> MIU stainless one with a variety of blades for around $50 (or maybe a few
> dollars more).
>
> I know they can be very useful for making even slices of things like
> potatoes and such, but if you own one, do you really use it enough to make
> it worth the space (I live in an apartment)?
>
> The MIU model at costco is the type that has a lever to change the
> thickness of the cut. Would a dial setting type be a much better choice?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts...

I have this one-
ttp://www.epinions.com/GSD_Mandolin_Slicer_Cooking_Tools - I've used it
probably once a week for the last several years. It doesn't take up much
space, and does an adequate job - I use it to slice veggies, and to make
hask browns. I really like it for that- I can hold it right over the
skillet and drop the potatoes. However, in searching I was a little
surprised at how much it's currently going for- I know I didn't pay much
more than $15 for mine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

anon wrote:

> Any thoughts on choosing and the usefulness of a mandoline? Costco has an
> MIU stainless one with a variety of blades for around $50 (or maybe a few
> dollars more).
>
> I know they can be very useful for making even slices of things like
> potatoes and such, but if you own one, do you really use it enough to make
> it worth the space (I live in an apartment)?
>
> The MIU model at costco is the type that has a lever to change the thickness
> of the cut. Would a dial setting type be a much better choice?

About 5 years ago I bought a Japanese slicer for about $12.It doesn't make
curly cut fries but it will cut things to an even thickness and a very fine
Julienne. It takes up very little storage space and it is used quite
often. One of those very expensive mandolins OTOH, would have been a waste
of money for my purposes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

anon wrote:
> Any thoughts on choosing and the usefulness of a mandoline? Costco has an
> MIU stainless one with a variety of blades for around $50 (or maybe a few
> dollars more).

Useful but it's the scariest thing in my kitchen. I have a small
Benriner (sp?), about $30 bucks. Use it a couple of times a month.
It's no sharper than my sharpest kitchen knife, but there's something
about the motion. You don't know you've lost a finger tip until
everything starts turning red. But the cuts are usually so clean you
can replace the tip with a paper towel and rubber band then go to the
emergency room after dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

anon wrote:

> Any thoughts on choosing and the usefulness of a mandoline? Costco has an
> MIU stainless one with a variety of blades for around $50 (or maybe a few
> dollars more).
>
> I know they can be very useful for making even slices of things like
> potatoes and such, but if you own one, do you really use it enough to make
> it worth the space (I live in an apartment)?
>
> The MIU model at costco is the type that has a lever to change the thickness
> of the cut. Would a dial setting type be a much better choice?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts...

The answer to the space problems is a Benriner, a Japanese
mandoline-type gadget that take up much less room and is
much cheaper. It slices and juliennes. I've had one for
25 years and it's marvelous.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 10:14 pm, "anon" > wrote:
> Any thoughts on choosing and the usefulness of amandoline? Costco has an
> MIU stainless one with a variety of blades for around $50 (or maybe a few
> dollars more).
>
> I know they can be very useful for making even slices of things like
> potatoes and such, but if you own one, do you really use it enough to make
> it worth the space (I live in an apartment)?
>
> The MIU model at costco is the type that has a lever to change the thickness
> of the cut. Would a dial setting type be a much better choice?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts...

Did you purchase the mandoline slicer yet. I purchased probably the
one that you are talking about MIU FRANCE (made in China) Professional
Stainless Steel, at $39.99. (variety of blades, waffle blade and 4
julienne blades). I haven't unboxed it yet, but will in a few days.
Let me know if you've bought it yet and used it and how you like it.
I don't have anything on my "Meal List" to slice in the next few days
except a large Korean turnip :-)) and that could last the winter!
Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article . net>,
"anon" > wrote:

> Any thoughts on choosing and the usefulness of a mandoline? Costco has an
> MIU stainless one with a variety of blades for around $50 (or maybe a few
> dollars more).

We got one a couple of years ago. We seldom use it. It's easier just
to use a knife, for us. If you think you will use it, well, then it's
cheaper than a good knife.

A food processor works well, also.

Still, the mandoline comes in handy sometimes. My wife does some
cooking for church events, and that's why she got it.

OK, what about mandolines? Sky Cooking Equipment 15 01-09-2009 05:04 AM
OK, what about mandolines? Sky General Cooking 1 31-08-2009 11:27 PM
mandolines inky dink Cooking Equipment 5 25-04-2008 05:58 PM
Benriner Mandolines ian Asian Cooking 0 28-02-2005 03:29 AM
Benriner Mandolines ian Asian Cooking 0 28-02-2005 03:29 AM