Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vanilla substitute?

Would almond extract be a good substitute for vanilla extract in, say, a
brownie recipe? I love the smell of almonds, so want to try it. If it is
OK, would it be an equal sub, that is 1 tsp = 1 tsp?

Thanks,
Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 12:33 pm, "brushfire" > wrote:
> Would almond extract be a good substitute for vanilla extract in, say, a
> brownie recipe? I love the smell of almonds, so want to try it. If it is
> OK, would it be an equal sub, that is 1 tsp = 1 tsp?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Sure, you could put it in, but it's no substitute. Vanilla brings out
the chocolate flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brushfire" > wrote in

> Would almond extract be a good substitute for vanilla extract in, say,
> a brownie recipe? I love the smell of almonds, so want to try it. If
> it is OK, would it be an equal sub, that is 1 tsp = 1 tsp?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Do it.

Then apply for membership to the "TweaK cLUB" :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual
beings having a human experience.

- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 12:33 pm, "brushfire" > wrote:
> Would almond extract be a good substitute for vanilla extract in, say, a
> brownie recipe? I love the smell of almonds, so want to try it. If it is
> OK, would it be an equal sub, that is 1 tsp = 1 tsp?

Put them both in and you'll recreate most of the wonderful taste of
Ms. Schaller's award winning orgasmic brownies.

Susan B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brushfire wrote:
> Would almond extract be a good substitute for vanilla extract in, say, a
> brownie recipe? I love the smell of almonds, so want to try it. If it is
> OK, would it be an equal sub, that is 1 tsp = 1 tsp?
>
> Thanks,
> Tom

Almond extract is stronger than vanilla. It's also not a very good
substitute, but might be good in its own right.

I use almond extract in fruit dishes, especially with cherries or peaches.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

brushfire wrote:

> Would almond extract be a good substitute for vanilla extract in, say, a
> brownie recipe? I love the smell of almonds, so want to try it. If it is
> OK, would it be an equal sub, that is 1 tsp = 1 tsp?

IMO, almond extract would not be much of a substitute for vanilla. If you
insist on doing it, I would think more in terms of drops of almost extract
replacing teaspoons of vanilla. That stuff is a lot more powerful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brushfire" > wrote in message
> Would almond extract be a good substitute for vanilla extract in, say, a
> brownie recipe?

No it would not make a good substitute, it would make a nice addition. In most
recipes you need the vanilla as a part of the flavor foundation.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dimitri" > wrote in message news:OM0Gh.11993>
> No it would not make a good substitute, it would make a nice addition. In
> most recipes you need the vanilla as a part of the flavor foundation.
>
> Dimitri

Thanks Dimitri and everyone else - I will add it instead of substitute.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 2, 3:33�pm, "brushfire" > wrote:
> Would almond extract be a good substitute for vanilla extract in, say, a
> brownie recipe? *I love the smell of almonds, so want to try it. *If it is
> OK, would it be an equal sub, that is 1 tsp = 1 tsp?

For chocolate brownies you really don't need vanilla extract... 99% of
folks would not realize the vanilla extract is missing from anything
chocolate unless you told them... in fact I would prefer it was
omitted. Add a little extra cocoa if you desire, everyone desires
extra chawklit.

Almond extract is not good with chocolate either. Add a shot of
cointreau if you must... don't have cointreau add a couple spoons
frozen orange juice concentrate... a couple spoons orange marmalade
will work too... mandarin chawklit is great. Um, I'll have my
chawklit brownie topped with nilla ice cream though, and a couple
candied kumquats. I love that word, love how it rolls off my
tongue... kum-quats. LOL

Sheldon