Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ready to Roux.

The best seat in the house, come tomorrow.

http://www.tinypic.com/3ztkghj.jpg

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:31:20 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>The best seat in the house, come tomorrow.
>
>http://www.tinypic.com/3ztkghj.jpg
>
>Andy

Is that your kitchen? I am envious of your double ovens, if it is.
Nice pot,too. I am getting out my Le Crueset soup pot, the big
one. Somehow gumbo tastes better made in that one.

Hmm...I think I had better clean up my kitchen....for the inevitable
pictures.

Christine, off to defrost andouille and chicken thighs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> The best seat in the house, come tomorrow.
>
> http://www.tinypic.com/3ztkghj.jpg

You have what appears to be my ancient Oster blender.

Had you used back lighting (or flash) instead of shooting directly
into those stove lights your pic wouldn't be so shadowy... what you
did is like shooting into the sun.

So what's with that stoopid chair... you lift the seat and there's the
chamber pot! LOL

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

> On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:31:20 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>The best seat in the house, come tomorrow.
>>
>>http://www.tinypic.com/3ztkghj.jpg
>>
>>Andy

> Is that your kitchen? I am envious of your double ovens, if it is.
> Nice pot,too. I am getting out my Le Crueset soup pot, the big
> one. Somehow gumbo tastes better made in that one.
>
> Hmm...I think I had better clean up my kitchen....for the inevitable
> pictures.
>
> Christine, off to defrost andouille and chicken thighs.

Yes. A very unusual stove/cooktop from the late 1960s. The ovens are great.
The doors lift up and out of the way so there are no hot fold-down doors to
avoid.

I got my shrimp and crab this morning. The fish market in town had a shelf
of Zatarain boxed products. I saw a box of Creole gumbo and picked it up,
then with a touch of nervous guilt, I glanced around for the r.f.c police
the Cabal (TINC) may have placed there. HINT: I think they're the ones in
the aprons! I put it back.

I'll hold off any more pictures for after-gumbo fun and laughs!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> The best seat in the house, come tomorrow.
>
> http://www.tinypic.com/3ztkghj.jpg
>
> Andy

Great chair! I perch on a high stool for long-term stirring, but it doesn't
have an arm with a drinkhole! What's your preferred beverage for stirring
roux?

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:45:23 -0500, "Felice Friese"
> wrote:

>Great chair! I perch on a high stool for long-term stirring, but it doesn't
>have an arm with a drinkhole! What's your preferred beverage for stirring
>roux?
>
>Felice

Some of the folks on eGullet refer to making roux, as "two beer
roux".... so I am thinking that beer would be a great beverage for
it...

Hmm....maybe I should try to find some Dixie beer here in town.....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> The best seat in the house, come tomorrow.
>>
>> http://www.tinypic.com/3ztkghj.jpg
>>
>> Andy

> Great chair! I perch on a high stool for long-term stirring, but it
> doesn't have an arm with a drinkhole! What's your preferred beverage for
> stirring roux?
>
> Felice

Felice,

LOL! It'll be my FIRST roux. What do you recommend?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bd bd is offline

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> The best seat in the house, come tomorrow.
>
> http://www.tinypic.com/3ztkghj.jpg
>
> Andy

i saw an episode of good eats last week where he cooked the roux in the
oven. he put it in the oven and said not to touch it for 45 minutes (i
could be wrong on the time). has anyone here tried this tecnique and if so,
how did it turn out?

brad

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bd said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> The best seat in the house, come tomorrow.
>>
>> http://www.tinypic.com/3ztkghj.jpg
>>
>> Andy

> i saw an episode of good eats last week where he cooked the roux in the
> oven. he put it in the oven and said not to touch it for 45 minutes (i
> could be wrong on the time). has anyone here tried this tecnique and if
> so, how did it turn out?
>
> brad

brad,

There ARE a few known oven/microwave methods that work well, from what I've
read.

My first batch will be traditional. I don't meant burnt!!! <G>

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bd bd is offline

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> bd said...
>

>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> The best seat in the house, come tomorrow.
>>>
>>> http://www.tinypic.com/3ztkghj.jpg
>>>
>>> Andy

>> i saw an episode of good eats last week where he cooked the roux in the
>> oven. he put it in the oven and said not to touch it for 45 minutes (i
>> could be wrong on the time). has anyone here tried this tecnique and if
>> so, how did it turn out?
>>
>> brad

> brad,
>
> There ARE a few known oven/microwave methods that work well, from what
> I've
> read.
>
> My first batch will be traditional. I don't meant burnt!!! <G>
>
> Andy

good luck and do tell us how it comes out.

brad

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bd said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> bd said...

>>> i saw an episode of good eats last week where he cooked the roux in the
>>> oven. he put it in the oven and said not to touch it for 45 minutes (i
>>> could be wrong on the time). has anyone here tried this tecnique and

if
>>> so, how did it turn out?
>>>
>>> brad

>> brad,
>>
>> There ARE a few known oven/microwave methods that work well, from what
>> I've
>> read.
>>
>> My first batch will be traditional. I don't meant burnt!!! <G>
>>
>> Andy

> good luck and do tell us how it comes out.
>
> brad

Of course!

Join in the "Gumbo Cook-Along with Christine" why don't you?!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Felice Friese said...
>>
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> The best seat in the house, come tomorrow.
>>>
>>> http://www.tinypic.com/3ztkghj.jpg
>>>
>>> Andy

>> Great chair! I perch on a high stool for long-term stirring, but it
>> doesn't have an arm with a drinkhole! What's your preferred beverage for
>> stirring roux?
>>
>> Felice

> LOL! It'll be my FIRST roux. What do you recommend?
>
> Andy

My preferred beverage whether I'm cooking or not is yer basic white wine but
that doesn't strike me as compatible with downhome cooking. My guess is
beer-in-a-bottle would be the way to go. Unless the bottle would slip
through the drinkhole.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice Friese said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Felice Friese said...

>>> Great chair! I perch on a high stool for long-term stirring, but it
>>> doesn't have an arm with a drinkhole! What's your preferred beverage
>>> for stirring roux?
>>>
>>> Felice

>> LOL! It'll be my FIRST roux. What do you recommend?
>>
>> Andy

> My preferred beverage whether I'm cooking or not is yer basic white wine
> but that doesn't strike me as compatible with downhome cooking. My guess
> is beer-in-a-bottle would be the way to go. Unless the bottle would slip
> through the drinkhole.
>
> Felice

It's not a hole, just a recess. It'll hold a glass, can or bottle. The
funny cut-away in front is for a pool cue to lean in while you wait your
turn but it can also be used to rest a wine glass.

Neither is entirely safe from tipping or elbow disasters.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:08:23 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>I got my shrimp and crab this morning. The fish market in town had a shelf
>of Zatarain boxed products. I saw a box of Creole gumbo and picked it up,
>then with a touch of nervous guilt, I glanced around for the r.f.c police
>the Cabal (TINC) may have placed there. HINT: I think they're the ones in
>the aprons! I put it back.
>
>I'll hold off any more pictures for after-gumbo fun and laughs!
>
>Andy

Andy I found that Zatarin box products, have an aluminum after taste,
as if they use salt substitute. YMMV
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 14:36:04 -0600, "bd" > wrote:

>"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> The best seat in the house, come tomorrow.
>>
>> http://www.tinypic.com/3ztkghj.jpg
>>
>> Andy

>i saw an episode of good eats last week where he cooked the roux in the
>oven. he put it in the oven and said not to touch it for 45 minutes (i
>could be wrong on the time). has anyone here tried this tecnique and if so,
>how did it turn out?
>
>brad

I find that oven cooking is very easy. Cook between 1& 1/2 and 2
hours, at 350 degrees, stirring about 2 or 3 times.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> The best seat in the house, come tomorrow.
>
> http://www.tinypic.com/3ztkghj.jpg
>
> Andy

Nice! Sorry I couldn't make it. Something came up and I was never able to
get the ingredients I wanted for my gumbo. Hope you folks had fun!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 21:11:29 -0600, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Andy wrote:
>> The best seat in the house, come tomorrow.
>>
>> http://www.tinypic.com/3ztkghj.jpg
>>
>> Andy

>Nice! Sorry I couldn't make it. Something came up and I was never able to
>get the ingredients I wanted for my gumbo. Hope you folks had fun!
>
>Jill

You still have time. We haven't done it yet. We are starting about
3pm your time tomorrow, if you want to join us.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote:

> Christine Dabney said...
>
> > On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 12:31:20 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
> >
> >>The best seat in the house, come tomorrow.
> >>
> >>http://www.tinypic.com/3ztkghj.jpg
> >>
> >>Andy

> > Is that your kitchen? I am envious of your double ovens, if it is.
> > Nice pot,too. I am getting out my Le Crueset soup pot, the big
> > one. Somehow gumbo tastes better made in that one.
> >
> > Hmm...I think I had better clean up my kitchen....for the inevitable
> > pictures.
> >
> > Christine, off to defrost andouille and chicken thighs.

> Yes. A very unusual stove/cooktop from the late 1960s. The ovens are

great.
> The doors lift up and out of the way so there are no hot fold-down doors

> avoid.

IIRC that's the exact same cooking unit featured in the Stevens' kitchen in
_Bewitched_...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow said...

> IIRC that's the exact same cooking unit featured in the Stevens' kitchen in
> _Bewitched_...

Greg,

Good grief! You kept a memory like that alive?

You're one scary genious!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I need to know. How long (approx) will it take to make a
chocolate roux on the stovetop?

If it's too long, I'll be using the oven method. I need to be able
to walk tomorrow, not gimpy from standing over a pot for ages.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> I need to know. How long (approx) will it take to make a
> chocolate roux on the stovetop?
>
> If it's too long, I'll be using the oven method. I need to be able
> to walk tomorrow, not gimpy from standing over a pot for ages.
>
> nancy

I did mine in 50 minutes in a cast iron skillet on a smooth-top stove.
Pictures on my dotmac site, the blahblahblog link (scroll down on the
home page).
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog updated 3-1-07, Gumbo!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy said...

> The best seat in the house, come tomorrow.
>
> http://www.tinypic.com/3ztkghj.jpg
>
> Andy

Second best seat in the house.

Another typical day of kitchen computing from the La-Z-Boy.

http://www.tinypic.com/3zhgjsn.jpg

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> I need to know. How long (approx) will it take to make a
>> chocolate roux on the stovetop?
>>
>> If it's too long, I'll be using the oven method. I need to be able
>> to walk tomorrow, not gimpy from standing over a pot for ages.

> I did mine in 50 minutes in a cast iron skillet on a smooth-top stove.
> Pictures on my dotmac site, the blahblahblog link (scroll down on the
> home page).

Oh, thanks, that's about as long a time as I will do.
Great pictures!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 09:09:23 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> I need to know. How long (approx) will it take to make a
>> chocolate roux on the stovetop?
>>
>> If it's too long, I'll be using the oven method. I need to be able
>> to walk tomorrow, not gimpy from standing over a pot for ages.
>>
>> nancy

>I did mine in 50 minutes in a cast iron skillet on a smooth-top stove.
>Pictures on my dotmac site, the blahblahblog link (scroll down on the
>home page).

You're wearing your Terminator shirt!!!!

Nice blog, by the way. I'm learning to appreciate your obsession with
taking pics of food :-)

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
(TammyM) wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 09:09:23 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >
> >> I need to know. How long (approx) will it take to make a
> >> chocolate roux on the stovetop?
> >>
> >> If it's too long, I'll be using the oven method. I need to be able
> >> to walk tomorrow, not gimpy from standing over a pot for ages.
> >>
> >> nancy

> >I did mine in 50 minutes in a cast iron skillet on a smooth-top stove.
> >Pictures on my dotmac site, the blahblahblog link (scroll down on the
> >home page).

> You're wearing your Terminator shirt!!!!

Yes, yes. It helps me cook. '-)

> Nice blog, by the way. I'm learning to appreciate your obsession with
> taking pics of food :-)
>
> TammyM

iLOL! Dudette, I've got SO many pics of stuff to put there yet. And
I'm about 3 months behind on my church service reviews on the other site.
I've discovered, though, that trying to put "too many" (an undetermined
number) pictures with each entry slows the process something fierce!
JAYzuzz, talk about annoying!

I'm thinking about putting some of Beck's pics of THEIR snow up in a
bit. Duluth was shut down for two days ‹ 50-60 MPH winds made for a
real blizzard, and Duluth is as hilly as San Francisco.

A friend of mine lives on Park Point. . . .
<
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/art...21&CFID=199174
89&CFTOKEN=95639058&jsessionid=88301c72b6e1412026d 2>
(You have to register for the site -- make something up.)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog updated 3-1-07, Gumbo!
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote
>
> > "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >
> >> I need to know. How long (approx) will it take to make a
> >> chocolate roux on the stovetop?
> >>
> >> If it's too long, I'll be using the oven method. I need to be able
> >> to walk tomorrow, not gimpy from standing over a pot for ages.

> > I did mine in 50 minutes in a cast iron skillet on a smooth-top stove.
> > Pictures on my dotmac site, the blahblahblog link (scroll down on the
> > home page).

> Oh, thanks, that's about as long a time as I will do.
> Great pictures!
>
> nancy

Thanks. I have a strange feeling that having the oil hot when I dumped
in the flour maybe got it going to color fast . And I don't think I
would attempt this in a lightweight pan. Just me.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog updated 3-1-07, Gumbo!
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> I did mine in 50 minutes in a cast iron skillet on a smooth-top stove.
> Pictures on my dotmac site, the blahblahblog link (scroll down on the
> home page).

Pretty soup plates!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 11:59:29 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>Thanks. I have a strange feeling that having the oil hot when I dumped
>in the flour maybe got it going to color fast . And I don't think I
>would attempt this in a lightweight pan. Just me.

Yes, that is the way that Paul Prudhomme does it. He does a very fast
roux, and gets the oil very hot before adding the flour. I tried it
years ago, and it is almost too fast.

The last time, I made roux the traditional way, and mixed the flour
and oil together and then heated it.

I also do it differently than you do, based on what I have read in the
thread on eGullet, and elsewhere. I make my roux in the pot I am
going to cook the whole thing, and when it gets to the right color, I
add my veggies. Supposedly adding them then, cooks them right away,
and cools down the roux so that it stops further cooking of it. Plus,
it seems to give the gumbo that inestimable gumbo flavor.

You do have to use a very heavy pot for this, though. Cast iron, or
Le Crueset is perfect.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 11:04:27 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 11:59:29 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:
>

>>Thanks. I have a strange feeling that having the oil hot when I dumped
>>in the flour maybe got it going to color fast . And I don't think I
>>would attempt this in a lightweight pan. Just me.

>Yes, that is the way that Paul Prudhomme does it. He does a very fast
>roux, and gets the oil very hot before adding the flour. I tried it
>years ago, and it is almost too fast.
>
>The last time, I made roux the traditional way, and mixed the flour
>and oil together and then heated it.
>
>I also do it differently than you do, based on what I have read in the
>thread on eGullet, and elsewhere. I make my roux in the pot I am
>going to cook the whole thing, and when it gets to the right color, I
>add my veggies. Supposedly adding them then, cooks them right away,
>and cools down the roux so that it stops further cooking of it. Plus,
>it seems to give the gumbo that inestimable gumbo flavor.
>
>You do have to use a very heavy pot for this, though. Cast iron, or
>Le Crueset is perfect.

Why do you have to use a heavy pot? I'm not disputing, just curious -
never having made gumbo and fixin' to do so in a couple of hours. I
have an enamled cast iron dutch oven, 5.5 quart I think. I was going
to do the roux in that, then wash it out and proceed as Barb
recommended, but now I'm all verklempt about it!! Someone help me
please...

TammyM, thinking maybe a quick nip over to Target to pick up a cast
iron skillet might be the ticket
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 11:36:45 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 18:28:18 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
>

>>Why do you have to use a heavy pot? I'm not disputing, just curious -
>>never having made gumbo and fixin' to do so in a couple of hours. I
>>have an enamled cast iron dutch oven, 5.5 quart I think. I was going
>>to do the roux in that, then wash it out and proceed as Barb
>>recommended, but now I'm all verklempt about it!! Someone help me
>>please...
>>
>>TammyM, thinking maybe a quick nip over to Target to pick up a cast
>>iron skillet might be the ticket

>No, that is just perfect, Tammy.
>
>I just cook the roux in that big pot, and then dump in my veggies and
>seasoning, to stop the roux from cooking further. I have seen that
>method too many times, and let me tell ya, it really brings out the
>flavor of the veggies and it just starts saying "GUMBO!!!" at that
>point.

Do you pre-saute the veg, or just throw it in raw?

>One thing I have learned from reading about gumbo, is to have your
>stock coolish, or even cold. Otherwise, it will tend to get lumpy,
>and the oil might separate out. At least that is what I have been
>reading on that thread I keep on mentioning.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=61289

Thanks for telling me, I'd been reading somewhere else that the stock
should be hot. <sheesh> I'm glad to have your guidance!

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 18:36:00 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 11:36:45 -0700, Christine Dabney

>>I just cook the roux in that big pot, and then dump in my veggies and
>>seasoning, to stop the roux from cooking further. I have seen that
>>method too many times, and let me tell ya, it really brings out the
>>flavor of the veggies and it just starts saying "GUMBO!!!" at that
>>point.

>Do you pre-saute the veg, or just throw it in raw?

No, you want them raw. Throwing them in the hot roux sears them a
bit, I think..then they are cooked through by the long slow cooking
afterwards.

>Thanks for telling me, I'd been reading somewhere else that the stock
>should be hot. <sheesh> I'm glad to have your guidance!
>
>TammyM

All the experienced gumbo cooks are saying that it is either hot roux
with cold stock, or cold roux added to boiling stock. Otherwise, it
tends to lump up.

I learned most of what I know about gumbo from years ago, when I first
made it from Paul Prudhomme's recipe, then when this thread was being
developed. I made gumbo again when they were doing this cook-off, and
it was marvelous. I use the recipe and technique on the first page of
that thread.

I must stress to any of you that are making gumbo, and especially roux
for the first time, to be totally ready when you start it. Have
your veggies all chopped, and seasoned. Have your stock ready.

AND!!!! Take a bathroom break, turn off the phone, don't answer the
door, and don't chat to anyone. Concentrate on the roux: it can
change in a fraction of a minute, from almost right, to just right, to
burnt. And make sure your veggies are there right at hand, to dump
into the roux at the right moment. After that, it gets to be much
smoother sailing.

Oh, and wear long sleeves and some sort of oven mitts. That stuff can
burn down to the bone, from what I have heard!!!!!

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote

> All the experienced gumbo cooks are saying that it is either hot roux
> with cold stock, or cold roux added to boiling stock. Otherwise, it
> tends to lump up.

I'm at that point now. Everything is chopped and waiting.

> Oh, and wear long sleeves and some sort of oven mitts. That stuff can
> burn down to the bone, from what I have heard!!!!!

Heh, trying to scare me? More, that is?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 14:20:43 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" > wrote

>> Oh, and wear long sleeves and some sort of oven mitts. That stuff can
>> burn down to the bone, from what I have heard!!!!!

>Heh, trying to scare me? More, that is?
>
>nancy

It's not scary, if you are careful. Just take it easy. I was
terrified when I first made it..and it really isn't that bad. Just
gets to be a bit nervewracking as it gets close to being a mahogany
color...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote
>
>> All the experienced gumbo cooks are saying that it is either hot roux
>> with cold stock, or cold roux added to boiling stock. Otherwise, it
>> tends to lump up.

> I'm at that point now. Everything is chopped and waiting.
>
>> Oh, and wear long sleeves and some sort of oven mitts. That stuff can
>> burn down to the bone, from what I have heard!!!!!

> Heh, trying to scare me? More, that is?
>
> nancy

Prudhomme doesn't call it "Cajun napalm" for nothing'.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 12:27:02 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Sat, 3 Mar 2007 14:20:43 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
>wrote:
>

>>"Christine Dabney" > wrote

>>> Oh, and wear long sleeves and some sort of oven mitts. That stuff can
>>> burn down to the bone, from what I have heard!!!!!

>>Heh, trying to scare me? More, that is?
>>
>>nancy
>>

>It's not scary, if you are careful. Just take it easy. I was
>terrified when I first made it..and it really isn't that bad. Just
>gets to be a bit nervewracking as it gets close to being a mahogany
>color...

THANK YOU!!! I've already got a deep chunk cut outta on my thumb, I
don't need burns to go with it. But DANG, it's getting pretty warm
here, 61F right now and climbing, so it's gonna have to be a
long-sleeved t-shirt with all the windows and doors open!!!

Shrimp was on sale, $4.99/pound. I decided to go for the gusto! Mine
will have shrimp, sausage, ham AND chicken :-) I chatted with an
elderly black woman at the store a little while ago. Told her what I
was making and she wanted to know how I make it. Heh. Like I've ever
done it before? I told her that, and said "well, first you start with
the roux" and proceeded to tell her how I'm going to make it. She
nodded sagely and said "that's just how I make it". I gave her my
phone number and told her if she wants some nice (hopefully?) homemade
gumbo to give me a call, and she can either come here or I'll bring
some to her. Be nice to old folks, with any luck, you'll be one too
some day....

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 19:59:39 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:

>THANK YOU!!! I've already got a deep chunk cut outta on my thumb, I
>don't need burns to go with it. But DANG, it's getting pretty warm
>here, 61F right now and climbing, so it's gonna have to be a
>long-sleeved t-shirt with all the windows and doors open!!!
>
>Shrimp was on sale, $4.99/pound. I decided to go for the gusto! Mine
>will have shrimp, sausage, ham AND chicken :-) I chatted with an
>elderly black woman at the store a little while ago. Told her what I
>was making and she wanted to know how I make it. Heh. Like I've ever
>done it before? I told her that, and said "well, first you start with
>the roux" and proceeded to tell her how I'm going to make it. She
>nodded sagely and said "that's just how I make it". I gave her my
>phone number and told her if she wants some nice (hopefully?) homemade
>gumbo to give me a call, and she can either come here or I'll bring
>some to her. Be nice to old folks, with any luck, you'll be one too
>some day....
>
>TammyM

We are all in the channel now..chatting about gumbo...
Sf is off making roux now... Nancy is too.

Andy made his..and his is gorgeous, from the pics he took.

I am sorta ambling about getting my mise en place together..and
chatting...

I am torn between getting my roux made the old fashioned way, or
trying this new-to-me microwave method I read about. Either way, I
am gonna add some bacon fat to the oil...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 11:36:45 -0700, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 18:28:18 GMT, (TammyM) wrote:
> >

> >>Why do you have to use a heavy pot? I'm not disputing, just curious -
> >>never having made gumbo and fixin' to do so in a couple of hours. I
> >>have an enamled cast iron dutch oven, 5.5 quart I think. I was going
> >>to do the roux in that, then wash it out and proceed as Barb
> >>recommended, but now I'm all verklempt about it!! Someone help me
> >>please...
> >>
> >>TammyM, thinking maybe a quick nip over to Target to pick up a cast
> >>iron skillet might be the ticket

> >No, that is just perfect, Tammy.
> >
> >I just cook the roux in that big pot, and then dump in my veggies and
> >seasoning, to stop the roux from cooking further. I have seen that
> >method too many times, and let me tell ya, it really brings out the
> >flavor of the veggies and it just starts saying "GUMBO!!!" at that
> >point.

> Do you pre-saute the veg, or just throw it in raw?

I make the roux, it gets very hot, then I dump in the veg so they'll cook a
bit. You want especially for your onions to be somewhat cooked, it
"caramelizes" them a bit so as to improve the taste. Just dumping the raw
veg into the roux and then into the pot doesn't accomplish much, taste -
wise. In fact I let my veg really cook down (you can lower the heat), it
ensures a rich taste...remember to put the garlic in LAST, nothing worse
than burnt garlic, if the garlic burns you'll have to start totally over. I
also put several bay leaves into this roux - veg mix while it cooks down...

BTW I learned how to make gumbo from Paul Prudhomme's first cookbook, IIRC
the recipe is prolly also on his website which you can google...

YMMV, natch...

> >One thing I have learned from reading about gumbo, is to have your
> >stock coolish, or even cold. Otherwise, it will tend to get lumpy,
> >and the oil might separate out. At least that is what I have been
> >reading on that thread I keep on mentioning.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=61289

> Thanks for telling me, I'd been reading somewhere else that the stock
> should be hot. <sheesh> I'm glad to have your guidance!

I am preparing to make gumbo in the crockpot as we speak, I had frozen duck
stock in the freezer and I'll simply use that, it's been thawing for two
days in the fridge. If I need more stock I have a smaller container frozen
in the freezer, I'll just dump it in. Works for me...this will cook about
six hours on "high", then I'll switch to six hours on "low"...

Don't know if this ensures a "gumbo thickness", but mine has always been
thick even if the pot is not totally stuffed with ingredients. I always let
it sit in the fridge overnight too, that might help...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 20:42:47 GMT, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>In fact I let my veg really cook down (you can lower the heat), it
>ensures a rich taste...remember to put the garlic in LAST, nothing worse
>than burnt garlic, if the garlic burns you'll have to start totally over. I
>also put several bay leaves into this roux - veg mix while it cooks down...

Hmm...I see you add garlic. Some of the recipes I see, and
especially the one I am using, doesn't use garlic. From what I have
read, garlic isn't always an ingredient in gumbo.
Maybe I should add a bit this time...

Christine