FoodBanter.com

-   -   Pork loin for pulled pork? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/117728-pork-loin-pulled-pork.html)

Jnospam[_1_] 01-03-2007 03:18 PM

Pork loin for pulled pork?

Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
would be too lean, but maybe not?

Thanks,
Jnospam

yetanotherBob 01-03-2007 04:26 PM

Pork loin for pulled pork?

In article >,
says...
> Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
> I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
> the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
> pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
> on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
> would be too lean, but maybe not?
>
> Thanks,
> Jnospam

I've used both pork loin and pork tenderloin to make pulled pork. The
"pulled" part simply refers to the method of disassembling the cooked
meat vs. the way it's cooked.

Even when I slow smoke pork butt or shoulder I de-grease the meat as
much as possible before serving or freezing it, so while the cooking
method differs, the end results are about the same. Use sauces when the
meat is served to add moisture.

Bob

Janet Puistonen 01-03-2007 05:28 PM

Pork loin for pulled pork?

Jnospam wrote:
> Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
> I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
> the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
> pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
> on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
> would be too lean, but maybe not?
>
> Thanks,
> Jnospam

I use loin. But I bake it very slowly in sauce rather than grilling/smoking.
(Sometimes I grill it after baking, for the flavor.)

Kate Connally 05-03-2007 10:02 PM

Pork loin for pulled pork?

Jnospam wrote:

> Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
> I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
> the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
> pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
> on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
> would be too lean, but maybe not?
>
> Thanks,
> Jnospam

Stick with the butt. Loin is way too lean to make good
pulled pork.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Dave Bugg 05-03-2007 11:03 PM

Pork loin for pulled pork?

Kate Connally wrote:
> Jnospam wrote:
>
>> Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
>> I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
>> the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
>> pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
>> on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
>> would be too lean, but maybe not?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jnospam

> Stick with the butt. Loin is way too lean to make good
> pulled pork.

Amen, Kate. Besides, pork loin is good without the need to pull.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Mitch 05-03-2007 11:03 PM

Pork loin for pulled pork?

>Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?

I have. I thought it came out dry.

TammyM[_1_] 06-03-2007 03:25 PM

Pork loin for pulled pork?

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 17:02:31 -0500, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>Jnospam wrote:
>
>> Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?
>> I've always used Boston Butt in the past, but saw a show on
>> the Food Network (US) where a woman used leftover crockpot
>> pork loin to make pulled pork. This week my market has it
>> on sale for less $$$/lb than Boston Butt. I thought it
>> would be too lean, but maybe not?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jnospam

>Stick with the butt. Loin is way too lean to make good
>pulled pork.

Agreed. Someone here was using loin for carnitas! WTF??!!! Gotta
have some fat to make either pulled pork or carnitas IMO.

TammyM

stark 06-03-2007 03:42 PM

Pork loin for pulled pork?

Jnospam wrote:
> Has anybody here used a pork loin roast to make pulled pork?

Yeap! My fingers were sore for days and my fork tynes bent.