Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)

I make the below recipe once a year for my Portuguese husband. He loves it.
To me the meat is tough and dry, but very tasty. I've tried cooking it
less, but then you don't get the lovely browned flavor. Wondering if anyone
had any other suggestions to make it more tender and not so dry. I have my
MILs recipe, but she passed away 6 months after we were married and I never
got to do any cooking with her. Lynne

Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)

4-pound boneless pork butt, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Marinade
1/2 pound medium-hot red chiles, seeded and stemmed
1 tsp salt
4 tablespoons paprika, sweet or hot depending on preference
10 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup red wine

Place the chiles and salt in the bowl of food processor fitted with a metal
blade and pulse until minced. In a large bowl, combine the minced chiles
with the remaining marinade ingredients. Add the pork pieces, turning to
coat well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.

Remove the pork from the marinade. Add the pork to large roasting pan
season with salt and pepper and cook in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 1
hour. Turn the pork often to keep it moist. Reduce the heat to 325°F (160°C)
and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pork is nicely
browned. Serve with Classic Portuguese Beans.

Serves 6 to 8

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"King's Crown" > wrote in message
. ..

> I make the below recipe once a year for my Portuguese
> husband. He loves it. To me the meat is tough and dry,
> but very tasty. I've tried cooking it less, but then you don't
> get the lovely browned flavor. Wondering if anyone had any
> other suggestions to make it more tender and not so dry. I have my MILs
> recipe, but she passed away 6 months after
> we were married and I never got to do any cooking with her.
>
> Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)
>
> 4-pound boneless pork butt, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
> Salt and freshly ground pepper

Sounds to me like your meat doesn't have any fat to stand up to the
longish cooking. All the pork in the US that I've seen is very lean; it
was a revelation to move to Denmark and discover that yes, pork roasts can
have some marbling in them. See if you can find a local butcher who can
provide such a thing for you. Your dish will be the better for it. If
you can't get a roast, you might see if he can provide you with neck
cutlets, which have nice marbling, and when you cube the meat, don't trim
away all the fat.

And the recipe looks great, btw -- I'm going to try it!
-j

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 2:54 am, "King's Crown" > wrote:
> I make the below recipe once a year for my Portuguese husband. He loves it.
> To me the meat is tough and dry, but very tasty. I've tried cooking it
> less, but then you don't get the lovely browned flavor. Wondering if anyone
> had any other suggestions to make it more tender and not so dry. I have my
> MILs recipe, but she passed away 6 months after we were married and I never
> got to do any cooking with her. Lynne
>
> Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)
>
> 4-pound boneless pork butt, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
> Salt and freshly ground pepper
>
> Marinade
> 1/2 pound medium-hot red chiles, seeded and stemmed
> 1 tsp salt
> 4 tablespoons paprika, sweet or hot depending on preference
> 10 cloves garlic, chopped
> 1/2 cup white wine
> 1/4 cup red wine
>
> Place the chiles and salt in the bowl of food processor fitted with a metal
> blade and pulse until minced. In a large bowl, combine the minced chiles
> with the remaining marinade ingredients. Add the pork pieces, turning to
> coat well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
>
> Remove the pork from the marinade. Add the pork to large roasting pan
> season with salt and pepper and cook in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 1
> hour. Turn the pork often to keep it moist. Reduce the heat to 325°F (160°C)
> and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pork is nicely
> browned. Serve with Classic Portuguese Beans.
>
> Serves 6 to 8

Try covering the pan for the last half of the cooking.. and I'd use a
smaller, heavier pan.. sounds sort of like Mexican carnitas (oven
style)..

Ted

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
ps.com...
On Mar 1, 2:54 am, "King's Crown" > wrote:
> I make the below recipe once a year for my Portuguese husband. He loves
> it.
> To me the meat is tough and dry, but very tasty. I've tried cooking it
> less, but then you don't get the lovely browned flavor. Wondering if
> anyone
> had any other suggestions to make it more tender and not so dry. I have
> my
> MILs recipe, but she passed away 6 months after we were married and I
> never
> got to do any cooking with her. Lynne
>
> Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)
>
> 4-pound boneless pork butt, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
> Salt and freshly ground pepper
>
> Marinade
> 1/2 pound medium-hot red chiles, seeded and stemmed
> 1 tsp salt
> 4 tablespoons paprika, sweet or hot depending on preference
> 10 cloves garlic, chopped
> 1/2 cup white wine
> 1/4 cup red wine
>
> Place the chiles and salt in the bowl of food processor fitted with a
> metal
> blade and pulse until minced. In a large bowl, combine the minced chiles
> with the remaining marinade ingredients. Add the pork pieces, turning to
> coat well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.
>
> Remove the pork from the marinade. Add the pork to large roasting pan
> season with salt and pepper and cook in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for
> 1
> hour. Turn the pork often to keep it moist. Reduce the heat to 325°F
> (160°C)
> and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pork is nicely
> browned. Serve with Classic Portuguese Beans.
>
> Serves 6 to 8

Try covering the pan for the last half of the cooking.. and I'd use a
smaller, heavier pan.. sounds sort of like Mexican carnitas (oven
style)..

Ted

I make great carnitas and it did cross my mind to do the cooking in a
similar fashion. I cook the pork in broth first until thoroughly done then
shred it and put in the oven for browning. This meat isn't marinaded
though. So, I wondered how I would precook it like the carnitas and still
get the marinaded flavor. I thought maybe I'd cook it in the marinade, but
afraid it would be TOO vinegary (is that a word ). If I cooked the
marinaded meat in broth would it defeat the purpose of the marinade and
dilute the flavor. So, then I thought maybe a watered down marinade/broth
might work. I'll just have to experiment it looks like.

Thanks for helping to point me in a direction!

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 28, 11:54 pm, "King's Crown" > wrote:
> I make the below recipe once a year for my Portuguese husband. He loves it.
> To me the meat is tough and dry, but very tasty. I've tried cooking it
> less, but then you don't get the lovely browned flavor. Wondering if anyone
> had any other suggestions to make it more tender and not so dry. I have my
> MILs recipe, but she passed away 6 months after we were married and I never
> got to do any cooking with her. Lynne
>
> Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)
> [snip ingredients]
> Remove the pork from the marinade. Add the pork to large roasting pan
> season with salt and pepper and cook in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for 1
> hour. Turn the pork often to keep it moist. Reduce the heat to 325°F (160°C)
> and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pork is nicely
> browned. Serve with Classic Portuguese Beans.

You're roasting it dry and mostly at high heat so the chances of
drying it out are high. You might try longer, slower roasting, such
as 30 minutes at 375°F - 400°F followed by about 75 minutes at 325°F.
At that point check for doneness and continue roasting only until just
cooked all the way through.

If that doesn't work you might try switching to browning on the
stovetop. After the marinating, dry the cubes and brown them well in
fat over medium high heat. Then cover the pot and place in a 325°F
oven until done. Check in an hour. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jacqui{JB}" > wrote in message
> "King's Crown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>> I make the below recipe once a year for my Portuguese
>> husband. He loves it. To me the meat is tough and dry,
>> but very tasty. I've tried cooking it less, but then you don't
>> get the lovely browned flavor. Wondering if anyone had any
>> other suggestions to make it more tender and not so dry. I have my MILs
>> recipe, but she passed away 6 months after
>> we were married and I never got to do any cooking with her.
>>
>> Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)
>>
>> 4-pound boneless pork butt, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
>> Salt and freshly ground pepper

> Sounds to me like your meat doesn't have any fat to stand up to the
> longish cooking. All the pork in the US that I've seen is very lean; it
> was a revelation to move to Denmark and discover that yes, pork roasts can
> have some marbling in them. See if you can find a local butcher who can
> provide such a thing for you. Your dish will be the better for it. If
> you can't get a roast, you might see if he can provide you with neck
> cutlets, which have nice marbling, and when you cube the meat, don't trim
> away all the fat.
>
> And the recipe looks great, btw -- I'm going to try it!
> -j

The recipe is great! Despite the dryness it gets scarfed down every time I
make it. I have to admit the pieces with the fat are my favorite and I pick
through to find them. DH hates fat on any meat. I've never seen someone so
meticulous about removing the slightest bit of fat from meat in stews, on
steaks, on chicken. It's kind of weird in my opinion. Not that I don't
remove fat myself, but the tiniest bit on a piece of stew meat doesn't make
me get out a knife and carve it up like a talented surgeon.

So, I love the idea of more marbling and will try it. We'll see what DH
does with the added fat. I may have to make two batches ... the tasty dried
out one for him and the tasty moist one for me.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 1, 11:42 am, "King's Crown" > wrote:
> > wrote in message
>
> ps.com...
> On Mar 1, 2:54 am, "King's Crown" > wrote:
>

> > I make the below recipe once a year for my Portuguese husband. He loves
> > it.
> > To me the meat is tough and dry, but very tasty. I've tried cooking it
> > less, but then you don't get the lovely browned flavor. Wondering if
> > anyone
> > had any other suggestions to make it more tender and not so dry. I have
> > my
> > MILs recipe, but she passed away 6 months after we were married and I
> > never
> > got to do any cooking with her. Lynne

> > Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)

> > 4-pound boneless pork butt, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
> > Salt and freshly ground pepper

> > Marinade
> > 1/2 pound medium-hot red chiles, seeded and stemmed
> > 1 tsp salt
> > 4 tablespoons paprika, sweet or hot depending on preference
> > 10 cloves garlic, chopped
> > 1/2 cup white wine
> > 1/4 cup red wine

> > Place the chiles and salt in the bowl of food processor fitted with a
> > metal
> > blade and pulse until minced. In a large bowl, combine the minced chiles
> > with the remaining marinade ingredients. Add the pork pieces, turning to
> > coat well. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours.

> > Remove the pork from the marinade. Add the pork to large roasting pan
> > season with salt and pepper and cook in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for
> > 1
> > hour. Turn the pork often to keep it moist. Reduce the heat to 325°F
> > (160°C)
> > and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pork is nicely
> > browned. Serve with Classic Portuguese Beans.

> > Serves 6 to 8

> Try covering the pan for the last half of the cooking.. and I'd use a
> smaller, heavier pan.. sounds sort of like Mexican carnitas (oven
> style)..
>
> Ted
>
> I make great carnitas and it did cross my mind to do the cooking in a
> similar fashion. I cook the pork in broth first until thoroughly done then
> shred it and put in the oven for browning. This meat isn't marinaded
> though. So, I wondered how I would precook it like the carnitas and still
> get the marinaded flavor. I thought maybe I'd cook it in the marinade, but
> afraid it would be TOO vinegary (is that a word ). If I cooked the
> marinaded meat in broth would it defeat the purpose of the marinade and
> dilute the flavor. So, then I thought maybe a watered down marinade/broth
> might work. I'll just have to experiment it looks like.
>
> Thanks for helping to point me in a direction!
>
> Lynne-

The seasoning is not far from one of the N'Carolina bbq styles. Maybe
there's a Melungeon/Portuguese influence on NC 'cue.

Ted

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On Feb 28, 11:54 pm, "King's Crown" > wrote:
> I make the below recipe once a year for my Portuguese husband. He loves
> it.
> To me the meat is tough and dry, but very tasty. I've tried cooking it
> less, but then you don't get the lovely browned flavor. Wondering if
> anyone
> had any other suggestions to make it more tender and not so dry. I have
> my
> MILs recipe, but she passed away 6 months after we were married and I
> never
> got to do any cooking with her. Lynne
>
> Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)
> [snip ingredients]
> Remove the pork from the marinade. Add the pork to large roasting pan
> season with salt and pepper and cook in a preheated 375°F (190°C) oven for
> 1
> hour. Turn the pork often to keep it moist. Reduce the heat to 325°F
> (160°C)
> and cook an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pork is nicely
> browned. Serve with Classic Portuguese Beans.
>
>You're roasting it dry and mostly at high heat so the chances of

drying it out are high. You might try longer, slower roasting, such
as 30 minutes at 375°F - 400°F followed by about 75 minutes at 325°F.
At that point check for doneness and continue roasting only until just
cooked all the way through.

If that doesn't work you might try switching to browning on the
stovetop. After the marinating, dry the cubes and brown them well in
fat over medium high heat. Then cover the pot and place in a 325°F
oven until done. Check in an hour. -aem<

What surprises me is the meat is practically floating in liquid all the way
to the end. I figure it's all the juice from the meat. I will give the
meat less heat at the higher temp. As it does look done at the 30 minute
mark. After that it's just needing to tenderize and get some browned
flavor.

Thanks,
Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:38:38 -0800, "King's Crown"
> wrote:

>What surprises me is the meat is practically floating in liquid all the way
>to the end. I figure it's all the juice from the meat. I will give the
>meat less heat at the higher temp. As it does look done at the 30 minute
>mark. After that it's just needing to tenderize and get some browned
>flavor.

Where are you getting your meat? If this is happening, I would check
to see that the pork is not adulterated with a saline solution. A lot
of places nowadays you can't find pork that isn't treated like this.
Especially Walmart.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

King's Crown wrote:
> I make the below recipe once a year for my Portuguese husband. He loves it.
> To me the meat is tough and dry, but very tasty. I've tried cooking it
> less, but then you don't get the lovely browned flavor. Wondering if anyone
> had any other suggestions to make it more tender and not so dry. I have my
> MILs recipe, but she passed away 6 months after we were married and I never
> got to do any cooking with her. Lynne
>
> Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)

(recipe snipped)

Interesting, Lynne. My grandmother used to make torresmos by rendering
what was mostly pork fat (that had been marinated) until all that was
left was "cracklings".

In my experience, most meats are served "well-done" in Portuguese cuisine.

The strange thing about Portuguese cooking is that it is a very small
country but recipes change tremendously from one town to the next and
from one family to the next, and this doesn't even include Madeira and
the Azores Islands.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Puester" > wrote in message
> King's Crown wrote:
>> I make the below recipe once a year for my Portuguese husband. He loves
>> it. To me the meat is tough and dry, but very tasty. I've tried cooking
>> it less, but then you don't get the lovely browned flavor. Wondering if
>> anyone had any other suggestions to make it more tender and not so dry.
>> I have my MILs recipe, but she passed away 6 months after we were married
>> and I never got to do any cooking with her. Lynne
>>
>> Torresmos (Portuguese Garlic Roasted Pork)
>>

> (recipe snipped)
>

> Interesting, Lynne. My grandmother used to make torresmos by rendering
> what was mostly pork fat (that had been marinated) until all that was left
> was "cracklings".
>
> In my experience, most meats are served "well-done" in Portuguese cuisine.
>
> The strange thing about Portuguese cooking is that it is a very small
> country but recipes change tremendously from one town to the next and from
> one family to the next, and this doesn't even include Madeira and the
> Azores Islands.
>
> gloria p

They are from the Azores. I also made a Portuguese beans recipe last night
and my American taste buds thought it needed something to perk up the
flavor. My husband tasted them and said they were great reminded him of his
mother's and grandmother's beans. So, I said I'd leave them as is since he
enjoyed them so much.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:38:38 -0800, "King's Crown"
> > wrote:
>
>>What surprises me is the meat is practically floating in liquid all the
>>way
>>to the end. I figure it's all the juice from the meat. I will give the
>>meat less heat at the higher temp. As it does look done at the 30 minute
>>mark. After that it's just needing to tenderize and get some browned
>>flavor.

> Where are you getting your meat? If this is happening, I would check
> to see that the pork is not adulterated with a saline solution. A lot
> of places nowadays you can't find pork that isn't treated like this.
> Especially Walmart.
>
> Christine

No saline in it. I learned that years ago when my cousin cooked a pork
roast from Costco. It was tasty, but SO salty. My hands swelled up
tremendously. It took me 3 days to get all that sodium out of my system.

Lynne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My name is David Leite, and I'm the author of the below recipe
http://www.leitesculinaria.com/recip...torresmos.html and it can
be found on my Web site, Leite's Culinaria. (BTW, you really should
credit the author of any recipe you use; they'reall copyrighted.)

Have you made it according to the directions? I think you'll find that
the meat isn't tough or dry if you're careful to cook it to the
specified temperature. Tradtionally, these kind of dishes are cooked
for a long time, but in liquid. Cooking to 165°F will help.

David Leite
Leite's Culinaria