Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Deep fryer

Hi all,
I just bought a deep fryer and fried my first batch of chicken wings. I
marinated the chicken wings with some premium soy sauce and salt. Before I
fry them, I sprinkled some corn starch on the wings.

The problem is the wings stuck to the frying basket when its done. How can
I prevent that? Is it caused by the way I marinate them?

Anyone has a good crispy fried chicken to share?

Another question is the booklet says that I cant mix old oil with new oil.
I'm sure after each frying, my oil will deplete a little. How can I get the
old oil to the min level if I don't add a little new oil to it the next time
I do the frying?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Suanne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

coat chicken with olive oil or corn oil.
add oil to fryer before it is heated up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ben Yap wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just bought a deep fryer and fried my first batch of chicken wings. I
> marinated the chicken wings with some premium soy sauce and salt. Before I
> fry them, I sprinkled some corn starch on the wings.
>
> The problem is the wings stuck to the frying basket when its done. How can
> I prevent that? Is it caused by the way I marinate them?

It is probably because you had the wings in the basket when it was immersed
in the hot oil. If you drop them into the basket (gently) after it has been
immersed they are less likely to stick. Taking the basket out part way
through the cooking and giving the wings a shake will loosen them, or you
can poke around with a long handled utensil.

The marinade has nothing to do with the wings sticking, but why salt with
soy sauce? It is already salty. Jar Doo wings are usually made my
marinating for an hour or so in a mixture of soy sauce, sugar, and minced
garlic and ginger. You can make a simple crispy coating by dredging the
wings in a mixture of all purpose flour and chicken soup powder.

> Anyone has a good crispy fried chicken to share?

> Another question is the booklet says that I cant mix old oil with new oil.
> I'm sure after each frying, my oil will deplete a little. How can I get the
> old oil to the min level if I don't add a little new oil to it the next time
> I do the frying?

Deep fried foods are always better when cooked in fresh oil. If you keep
adding new oil to the old is going to get pretty funky after a while.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ben Yap wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just bought a deep fryer and fried my first batch of chicken wings.
> I marinated the chicken wings with some premium soy sauce and salt. Before
> I fry them, I sprinkled some corn starch on the wings.
>
> The problem is the wings stuck to the frying basket when its done. How can
> I prevent that? Is it caused by the way I marinate them?

It may have occured because:
-- the oil may not be hot enough when you put in the food
-- you may have put too much food in at one time

> Anyone has a good crispy fried chicken to share?
>
> Another question is the booklet says that I cant mix old oil with new
> oil. I'm sure after each frying, my oil will deplete a little. How
> can I get the old oil to the min level if I don't add a little new
> oil to it the next time I do the frying?

If your talking about just a few days time, then YES you can add fresh oil
IF the oil isn't full of sediments from previous cooking. If there are a lot
of food particles and debris, filter the oil first and then refill.

If the oil has just been sitting around for a more than a week, unfiltered,
then toss it and start fresh.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Bugg" > wrote in message
> Ben Yap wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I just bought a deep fryer and fried my first batch of chicken wings.
>> I marinated the chicken wings with some premium soy sauce and salt.
>> Before I fry them, I sprinkled some corn starch on the wings.
>>
>> The problem is the wings stuck to the frying basket when its done. How
>> can I prevent that? Is it caused by the way I marinate them?

>> Another question is the booklet says that I cant mix old oil with new
>> oil. I'm sure after each frying, my oil will deplete a little. How
>> can I get the old oil to the min level if I don't add a little new
>> oil to it the next time I do the frying?

> If your talking about just a few days time, then YES you can add fresh oil
> IF the oil isn't full of sediments from previous cooking. If there are a
> lot of food particles and debris, filter the oil first and then refill.
>
> If the oil has just been sitting around for a more than a week,
> unfiltered, then toss it and start fresh.

I'm in big trouble. Not only is my oil unfiltered, but it's been sitting
around for about 3 months. But I hasten to add, I don't use my deep fryer
too often.

Gosh, I was visiting my MIL this w/e. Made a salad and thought I'd use the
dressing in her fridge (I usually make my own). There were 3 or 4 to choose
from. Because I didn't have my reading glasses on, I asked my daughter to
check the dates. Just as well. With tears rolling down her cheeks she read
" April '97; July 97; and the other was sometime in '95. Scarey!!!
Needless to say they went in the garbage.

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:

> Gosh, I was visiting my MIL this w/e. Made a salad and thought I'd use the
> dressing in her fridge (I usually make my own). There were 3 or 4 to choose
> from. Because I didn't have my reading glasses on, I asked my daughter to
> check the dates. Just as well. With tears rolling down her cheeks she read
> " April '97; July 97; and the other was sometime in '95. Scarey!!!

Nursing homes exist for a reason.

Mental competency trials also exist for a reason. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ben Yap wrote:

> Another question is the booklet says that I cant mix old oil
> with new oil. I'm sure after each frying, my oil will deplete
> a little. How can I get the old oil to the min level if I don't
> add a little new oil to it the next time I do the frying?

The reason for the warning is that old oil will
make new oil go bad faster. Oil gets stale by
an oxidation reaction that forms free radicals.
The free radicals attack the good oil molecules,
transforming them into free radicals. It's a
chain reaction that repeats, kind of like
_Night_of_the_Living_Dead_, except with
oil molecules instead of people.

If you add old oil to new oil, you are seeding
the new oil with free radicals. That'll make it
go bad much quicker. It's better to dump old oil
at some point, and clean your equipment scrupulously
clean before filling it with new oil. Keeping used
oil in a sealed container with minimal air space
and keeping it in the dark between uses is also
helpful in maintaining oil. It's not necessary
to refrigerate used oil, because the free radical
chain reaction is not strongly affected by
temperature.

I generally use new oil every time, but I probably
throw away oil that's perfectly useable. Also, it's
said that the best flavor is from oil that's already
been used a few times. I've never noticed that
myself, but I read it in _The_Professional_Chef_.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for all the advices. One more question. How do I dispose so much
oil? Can I put the used oil back into the original bottle and just throw in
the regular garbage bin.

Suanne

"Steve Wertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 14:34:43 -0800, Ben Yap wrote:
>
>> I just bought a deep fryer and fried my first batch of chicken wings. I
>> marinated the chicken wings with some premium soy sauce and salt.

> Talk about redundant. Ouch.
>> The problem is the wings stuck to the frying basket when its done. How
>> can
>> I prevent that? Is it caused by the way I marinate them?

> Keep the basket in the heating oil until you're ready to put the
> wings in. The basket should be as hot as the oil.
>
> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ben Yap" > wrote:

> Hi all,
> I just bought a deep fryer and fried my first batch of chicken wings. I
> marinated the chicken wings with some premium soy sauce and salt. Before I
> fry them, I sprinkled some corn starch on the wings.
>
> The problem is the wings stuck to the frying basket when its done. How can
> I prevent that? Is it caused by the way I marinate them?
>
> Anyone has a good crispy fried chicken to share?

Move them around while you are frying them a bit. Keeps them from
sticking.

> Another question is the booklet says that I cant mix old oil with new oil.

Nonsense.

> I'm sure after each frying, my oil will deplete a little. How can I get the
> old oil to the min level if I don't add a little new oil to it the next time
> I do the frying?

I do that, but only up to a point. I only re-use frying oil as long as
it smells good... but I filter and refrigerate it between uses.

I generally limit it to 6 to 8 uses unless I fry fish. ;-)

> Thanks in advance for any advice.
> Suanne

Hope this helps?

What kind of oil do you intend to use? I've had most excellent luck
using peanut oil, but it's cheap here.

Approx. $7.00 per gallon.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ben Yap" > wrote:

> Thanks for all the advices. One more question. How do I dispose so much
> oil? Can I put the used oil back into the original bottle and just throw in
> the regular garbage bin.
>
> Suanne

There was an entire thread on that awhile back. :-)
Might want to google for it...

Most people toss it in the trash. Others mix it with bird seed for the
wild birds, and others pour it over wood planters and garden edging
where it can polymerize to make a water proof coating, still others bury
or compost it.

You have a number of options.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Anyone has a good crispy fried chicken to share?

>Thanks in advance for any advice.
>Suanne

Nobody gave you a recipe. There's a very good recipe in the cook-in
section of the un-official RFC site. Actually there's quite a few
gems hidden there.

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/cookin...ml?id=5&page=6

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I made these a couple weeks ago and they were fantastic.
When I put the wings in, I give the basket a quick shake to keep them
from sticking.

Restaurant-Style Buffalo Chicken Wings

oil for deep frying
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup hot sauce
1 dash ground black pepper
1 dash garlic powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp salt
10 chicken wings

1 Heat oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). The oil
should be just enough to cover wings entirely, an inch or so deep.
Combine the butter, hot sauce, pepper and garlic powder in a small
saucepan over low heat. Stir together and heat until butter is melted
and mixture is well blended. Remove from heat and reserve for serving.

2 In a small bowl mix together the flour, paprika, cayenne pepper and
salt. Place chicken wings in a large nonporous glass dish or bowl and
sprinkle flour mixture over them until they are evenly coated. Cover
dish or bowl and refrigerate for 60 to 90 minutes.

3 Fry coated wings in hot oil for 10 to 15 minutes, or until parts of
wings begin to turn brown. Remove from heat, place wings in serving
bowl, add hot sauce mixture and stir together. Serve.

Looking for a Deep Fryer Bear Cooking Equipment 5 19-07-2006 11:25 PM
t-fal deep fryer linda dumoulin General Cooking 2 13-04-2005 09:27 PM
Deep Fryer Jimbo Cooking Equipment 3 01-12-2004 09:59 AM
Deep Fryer Jimbo Cooking Equipment 0 30-11-2004 12:56 AM
deep fryer PENMART01 General Cooking 11 20-04-2004 06:40 PM