Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

Default A "BANQUET" DIET ?

Occasionally, our local supermarket sells
BANQUET Frozen TV dinners for 88 cents each.

Looking at the label, a typical dinner contains 300 > 350 calories.

It occurs to me that one could eat
one TV dinner for breakfast, another for lunch,
and two TV dinners for supper
and still stay within 1200 > 1500 calories a day.

If you look at only calories, and could stand the monotony,
this should be a workable weight-loss diet

????

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 23, 6:25 pm, "<RJ>" > wrote:
> Occasionally, our local supermarket sells
> BANQUET Frozen TV dinners for 88 cents each.
>
> Looking at the label, a typical dinner contains 300 > 350 calories.
>
> It occurs to me that one could eat
> one TV dinner for breakfast, another for lunch,
> and two TV dinners for supper
> and still stay within 1200 > 1500 calories a day.
>
> If you look at only calories, and could stand the monotony,
> this should be a workable weight-loss diet
>
> ????
>
> <rj>

What about sodium content and the many strange sounding ingredients?
Are there any nutrients?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:
> Occasionally, our local supermarket sells
> BANQUET Frozen TV dinners for 88 cents each.
>
> Looking at the label, a typical dinner contains 300 > 350 calories.
>
> It occurs to me that one could eat
> one TV dinner for breakfast, another for lunch,
> and two TV dinners for supper
> and still stay within 1200 > 1500 calories a day.
>
> If you look at only calories, and could stand the monotony,
> this should be a workable weight-loss diet
>
> ????
>
> <rj>

According to Guiness, their ale only has 125 calories per 12 oz. bottle. So
one could make the leap...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 23, 5:25 pm, "<RJ>" > wrote:
> Occasionally, our local supermarket sells
> BANQUET Frozen TV dinners for 88 cents each.
>
> Looking at the label, a typical dinner contains 300 > 350 calories.
>
> It occurs to me that one could eat
> one TV dinner for breakfast, another for lunch,
> and two TV dinners for supper
> and still stay within 1200 > 1500 calories a day.
>
> If you look at only calories, and could stand the monotony,
> this should be a workable weight-loss diet
>
> ????
>
> <rj>

No reason why it wouldn't work, if you can stick with it. The only
problems are the monotony and the fact that there isn't much to eat in
those 88 cent buggers. A few bites and you're done eating until your
next meal, which isn't going to be very big, either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

i think a diet of only then could last about a week before u went running a
screaming away due to insanity.IMO.

--

Laura

-Sautéed poo is still poo

"Christopher Helms" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Feb 23, 5:25 pm, "<RJ>" > wrote:
>> Occasionally, our local supermarket sells
>> BANQUET Frozen TV dinners for 88 cents each.
>>
>> Looking at the label, a typical dinner contains 300 > 350 calories.
>>
>> It occurs to me that one could eat
>> one TV dinner for breakfast, another for lunch,
>> and two TV dinners for supper
>> and still stay within 1200 > 1500 calories a day.
>>
>> If you look at only calories, and could stand the monotony,
>> this should be a workable weight-loss diet
>>
>> ????
>>
>> <rj>

> No reason why it wouldn't work, if you can stick with it. The only
> problems are the monotony and the fact that there isn't much to eat in
> those 88 cent buggers. A few bites and you're done eating until your
> next meal, which isn't going to be very big, either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christopher Helms" > wrote

> On Feb 23, 5:25 pm, "<RJ>" > wrote:

>> Occasionally, our local supermarket sells
>> BANQUET Frozen TV dinners for 88 cents each.

Right off the bat you know there isn't much chicken in there.
Breading, all breading and bones.

>> Looking at the label, a typical dinner contains 300 > 350 calories.
>>
>> It occurs to me that one could eat
>> one TV dinner for breakfast, another for lunch,
>> and two TV dinners for supper
>> and still stay within 1200 > 1500 calories a day.

If you were to go that route, I think there are many better
choices in the freezer/soup aisle that could accomplish the
same thing, however, not at 88 cents.

For instance, this week Stouffers is 50% off where I shop.
You can have a nice stuffed pepper for 230 calories, or a
lasagna with meat sauce for 350 calories. That would be
about $1.50 at the sale price.

Those are the two things I have in my freezer for me
to look at. If I recall correctly, a whole can of Chunky Soup
generally ran about 350 calories.

>> If you look at only calories, and could stand the monotony,
>> this should be a workable weight-loss diet

> No reason why it wouldn't work, if you can stick with it. The only
> problems are the monotony and the fact that there isn't much to eat in
> those 88 cent buggers. A few bites and you're done eating until your
> next meal, which isn't going to be very big, either.

Perhaps if you would get the Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine type
stuff, it wouldn't be such a brutally bad diet for you, sodium, etc wise.
You being, whoever you is who would attempt that diet.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
> Occasionally, our local supermarket sells
> BANQUET Frozen TV dinners for 88 cents each.
>
> Looking at the label, a typical dinner contains 300 > 350 calories.
>
> It occurs to me that one could eat
> one TV dinner for breakfast, another for lunch,
> and two TV dinners for supper
> and still stay within 1200 > 1500 calories a day.
>
> If you look at only calories, and could stand the monotony,
> this should be a workable weight-loss diet
>
> ????
>
> <rj>

Why would you entertain such an idea? Cost, or simplicity?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> <RJ> wrote:

> > It occurs to me that one could eat
> > one TV dinner for breakfast, another for lunch,
> > and two TV dinners for supper
> > and still stay within 1200 > 1500 calories a day.
> >
> > If you look at only calories, and could stand the monotony,
> > this should be a workable weight-loss diet

> According to Guiness, their ale only has 125 calories per 12 oz. bottle. So
> one could make the leap...

One occasionally has with a different brand of beer.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 00:38:06 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom" >
wrote:
>> It occurs to me that one could eat
>> one TV dinner for breakfast, another for lunch,
>> and two TV dinners for supper
>> and still stay within 1200 > 1500 calories a day.
>> <rj>

>Why would you entertain such an idea? Cost, or simplicity?

BOTH !
Many diets fail during meal planning/meal prep/calory counting.

This takes away all the fuss.
Buy a bunch of ( reasonably priced ) boxes
Pop one in the microwave
Eat.

No choice, no fuss......

For some, a 350cal "diet bar" might do the same thing.
But the hot gravy&mashies in the Banquet would be "comfort food"

<rj>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"<RJ>" > wrote:

> Occasionally, our local supermarket sells
> BANQUET Frozen TV dinners for 88 cents each.
>
> Looking at the label, a typical dinner contains 300 > 350 calories.
>
> It occurs to me that one could eat
> one TV dinner for breakfast, another for lunch,
> and two TV dinners for supper
> and still stay within 1200 > 1500 calories a day.
>
> If you look at only calories, and could stand the monotony,
> this should be a workable weight-loss diet
>
> ????
>
> <rj>

I've never tried it, but I've heard of it being done.

The major issue with some of those tho' is the salt, starch and fat
contents.

Be sure to take your vitamins...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "<RJ>" > wrote:
>
>> Occasionally, our local supermarket sells
>> BANQUET Frozen TV dinners for 88 cents each.
>>
>> Looking at the label, a typical dinner contains 300 > 350 calories.
>>
>> It occurs to me that one could eat
>> one TV dinner for breakfast, another for lunch,
>> and two TV dinners for supper
>> and still stay within 1200 > 1500 calories a day.
>>
>> If you look at only calories, and could stand the monotony,
>> this should be a workable weight-loss diet
>>
>> ????
>>
>> <rj>

> I've never tried it, but I've heard of it being done.
>
> The major issue with some of those tho' is the salt, starch and fat
> contents.
>
> Be sure to take your vitamins...

Be sure to take your....
www.zombo.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"<RJ>" > wrote:

> Occasionally, our local supermarket sells
> BANQUET Frozen TV dinners for 88 cents each.
>
> Looking at the label, a typical dinner contains 300 > 350 calories.
>
> It occurs to me that one could eat
> one TV dinner for breakfast, another for lunch,
> and two TV dinners for supper
> and still stay within 1200 > 1500 calories a day.
>
> If you look at only calories, and could stand the monotony,
> this should be a workable weight-loss diet
>
> ????

Lots of fat and salt, not a whole lot of vegetables, I'll bet.

And they'd get as boring as hell after a while.

Miche

--
In the monastery office --
Before enlightenment: fetch mail, shuffle paper
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:

> BOTH !
> Many diets fail during meal planning/meal prep/calory counting.
>
> This takes away all the fuss.

Portion control is a good place to start, but as others have said, you
also have to look at the overall nutrition, not just calories. And where
are the calories coming from, how much of it is from fat? I'd think the
sodium content of some of those would kill you. A lot of those entrees
are nothing but carbs, which is no way to eat. You need vegetables,
fruit, and protein, too.

They're a start, but don't stop there. Know what you're eating and
whether it really is good for you.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking
mm mm is offline

On Feb 23, 4:18 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Christopher Helms" > wrote
>
> > On Feb 23, 5:25 pm, "<RJ>" > wrote:
> >> Occasionally, our local supermarket sells
> >> BANQUET Frozen TV dinners for 88 cents each.

> Right off the bat you know there isn't much chicken in there.
> Breading, all breading and bones.
>
> >> Looking at the label, a typical dinner contains 300 > 350 calories.

> >> It occurs to me that one could eat
> >> one TV dinner for breakfast, another for lunch,
> >> and two TV dinners for supper
> >> and still stay within 1200 > 1500 calories a day.

> If you were to go that route, I think there are many better
> choices in the freezer/soup aisle that could accomplish the
> same thing, however, not at 88 cents.
>
> For instance, this week Stouffers is 50% off where I shop.
> You can have a nice stuffed pepper for 230 calories, or a
> lasagna with meat sauce for 350 calories. That would be
> about $1.50 at the sale price.
>
> Those are the two things I have in my freezer for me
> to look at. If I recall correctly, a whole can of Chunky Soup
> generally ran about 350 calories.
>
> >> If you look at only calories, and could stand the monotony,
> >> this should be a workable weight-loss diet

> > No reason why it wouldn't work, if you can stick with it. The only
> > problems are the monotony and the fact that there isn't much to eat in
> > those 88 cent buggers. A few bites and you're done eating until your
> > next meal, which isn't going to be very big, either.

> Perhaps if you would get the Healthy Choice or Lean Cuisine type
> stuff, it wouldn't be such a brutally bad diet for you, sodium, etc wise.
> You being, whoever you is who would attempt that diet.
>
> nancy

Glad to see the only two brand I use once in a while stated here.
..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Miche > wrote:

>And they'd get as boring as hell after a while.

Just pick up a bottle of Dave's Insanity Sauce or similar,
every four or six weeks.

S.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 18:17:45 +1300, Miche > wrote:

>In article >,
> "<RJ>" > wrote:

>> If you look at only calories, and could stand the monotony,
>> this should be a workable weight-loss diet
>>
>> ????

>Lots of fat and salt, not a whole lot of vegetables, I'll bet.
>
>And they'd get as boring as hell after a while.
>
>Miche

As a life-long dieter,
NOTHING is more boring than that bowl of
celery/carrot sticks in the fridge... ;o(

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"<RJ>" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 00:38:06 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> >
> wrote:
>>> It occurs to me that one could eat
>>> one TV dinner for breakfast, another for lunch,
>>> and two TV dinners for supper
>>> and still stay within 1200 > 1500 calories a day.
>>> <rj>

>>Why would you entertain such an idea? Cost, or simplicity?
>>

> BOTH !
> Many diets fail during meal planning/meal prep/calory counting.
>
> This takes away all the fuss.
> Buy a bunch of ( reasonably priced ) boxes
> Pop one in the microwave
> Eat.
>
> No choice, no fuss......
>
> For some, a 350cal "diet bar" might do the same thing.
> But the hot gravy&mashies in the Banquet would be "comfort food"
>
> <rj>

I don't mean to be rude, but I've been reading your responses since
yesterday, and I've come to a conclusion: You are lazy.

Planning healthy meals is not rocket science. You go to the store. Your
first stop should be the produce department. Think of each meal, and how you
need to see multiple colors on the plate. Unless your store absolutely
sucks, you should be able to come home with enough vegetables & fruit to
last a few days, or even a week, if you pay attention to how your
refrigerator affects various foods in terms of keeping quality. Go easy on
the spuds, but if you must have them, find a way to use less, but make them
really tasty. Buy the little red ones and eat just two, not seven.

No butter on the vegetables. Period. End of discussion. If you must flavor
them somehow, put a couple of crushed garlic cloves in a little olive oil
and let them marinate for a couple of days. Remove the garlic and put the
oil in the fridge. It'll partially solidify, which makes it a little easier
to handle. 1/2 teaspoon is enough to jazz up two cups of cooked broccoli. It
works because it says hello to your sense of smell, which is a large part of
enjoying your food.

Twice a week, cut up a bunch of citrus fruit into bite size pieces and keep
them in a glass bowl that always stays on the top shelf of the fridge, so
that's the first thing you see. Keep a box of toothpicks handy. There's your
quick snack. Not the whole bowl, but a few bites.

There are a million ways to cook chicken breasts without turning them into a
fat carnival.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"<RJ>" > wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 18:17:45 +1300, Miche > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > "<RJ>" > wrote:

> >> If you look at only calories, and could stand the monotony,
> >> this should be a workable weight-loss diet
> >>
> >> ????

> >Lots of fat and salt, not a whole lot of vegetables, I'll bet.
> >
> >And they'd get as boring as hell after a while.
> >
> >Miche

> As a life-long dieter,
> NOTHING is more boring than that bowl of
> celery/carrot sticks in the fridge... ;o(
>
> <rj>

They are good if served with a bit of fat free ranch... :-)

Fat free sour cream plus powdered hidden valley ranch.

It really does work! I've received numerous compliments on this simple
concoction when I used it as a party dip.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message

> Planning healthy meals is not rocket science. You go to the store. Your
> first stop should be the produce department. Think of each meal, and how
> you need to see multiple colors on the plate. Unless your store absolutely
> sucks, you should be able to come home with enough vegetables & fruit to
> last a few days, or even a week, if you pay attention to how your
> refrigerator affects various foods in terms of keeping quality.

Also, can't beat frozen veggies for convenience (just be sure to buy the
plain veggies, not the ones with sauces and extra stuff added). There are
some good veggie blends available.

> No butter on the vegetables. Period. End of discussion. If you must flavor
> them somehow, put a couple of crushed garlic cloves in a little olive oil
> and let them marinate for a couple of days. Remove the garlic and put the
> oil in the fridge. It'll partially solidify, which makes it a little
> easier to handle. 1/2 teaspoon is enough to jazz up two cups of cooked
> broccoli. It works because it says hello to your sense of smell, which is
> a large part of enjoying your food.

I like to use balsamic vinegar and olive oil to season sauteed veggies.
Lemon juice is good, too.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

>"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote in message
>>
>> Planning healthy meals is not rocket science. You go to the store. Your
>> first stop should be the produce department. Think of each meal, and how
>> you need to see multiple colors on the plate. Unless your store absolutely
>> sucks, you should be able to come home with enough vegetables & fruit to
>> last a few days, or even a week, if you pay attention to how your
>> refrigerator affects various foods in terms of keeping quality.

OF COURSE IT'S EASY !!
That's why there are so many successful dieters out there.

But regardless of the current fad diet,
the AMA still says; "To lose weight, cut your calories"

I found it amusing that one could possibly satisfy
the calorie cap with 4 BANQUET TV dinners a day.

No planning, no meal prep, no lo-cal recipes.

I I hear there's a hot-dog diet floating around out there too )

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> No butter on the vegetables. Period. End of discussion. If you must flavor
> them somehow, put a couple of crushed garlic cloves in a little olive oil
> and let them marinate for a couple of days. Remove the garlic and put the
> oil in the fridge.

Yeah....the resulting botulism should help you lose quite a few pounds
in just a matter of days!

NEVER, EVER leave your raw garlic in olive oil and store it for days.
It's a food hazard. Not one you'd expect, either. Feel free to Google
for more info on the garlic/oil/botulism link.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>

>> No butter on the vegetables. Period. End of discussion. If you must
>> flavor
>> them somehow, put a couple of crushed garlic cloves in a little olive oil
>> and let them marinate for a couple of days. Remove the garlic and put the
>> oil in the fridge.

> Yeah....the resulting botulism should help you lose quite a few pounds
> in just a matter of days!
>
> NEVER, EVER leave your raw garlic in olive oil and store it for days.
> It's a food hazard. Not one you'd expect, either. Feel free to Google
> for more info on the garlic/oil/botulism link.

30 years - no problem. It's refrigerated, and it's gone in less than a week.
I don't make it by the gallon, madam. I'm talking 1/4 cup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Alan wrote:

> On 27 Feb 2007 05:03:30 -0800, "Jude" >
> wrote:
>

>>Yeah....the resulting botulism should help you lose quite a few pounds
>>in just a matter of days!
>>
>>NEVER, EVER leave your raw garlic in olive oil and store it for days.
>>It's a food hazard. Not one you'd expect, either. Feel free to Google
>>for more info on the garlic/oil/botulism link.

> Like so many food no-nos, this happens only once in a
> gazzillion instances, meaning it virtually never happens.

It never happens if you keep it refrigerated and
use it up in a reasonable amount of time as JSB said.
Botulism doesn't grow at refrigerator temps.

Garlic + oil is only half the story. When you only
have half the story you're inclined to worry about
REALLY REALLY SCARY DANGEROUS THINGS when in fact
they're not.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jude" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>

>> No butter on the vegetables. Period. End of discussion. If you must
>> flavor
>> them somehow, put a couple of crushed garlic cloves in a little olive oil
>> and let them marinate for a couple of days. Remove the garlic and put the
>> oil in the fridge.

> Yeah....the resulting botulism should help you lose quite a few pounds
> in just a matter of days!
>
> NEVER, EVER leave your raw garlic in olive oil and store it for days.
> It's a food hazard. Not one you'd expect, either. Feel free to Google
> for more info on the garlic/oil/botulism link.

Better response than my previous one:

Watch the moron in this video very closely:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aasov3zTaY

Now you know what to really worry about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:26:12 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> wrote:

>Watch the moron in this video very closely:
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aasov3zTaY
>
>Now you know what to really worry about.

That can't be a serious show! LOL

--
Zilbandy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zilbandy" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:26:12 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>>Watch the moron in this video very closely:
>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aasov3zTaY
>>
>>Now you know what to really worry about.

> That can't be a serious show! LOL
>
> --
> Zilbandy

Looks real to me. Maybe from a local public access channel. I'm all for
employing retarded people whenever possible, but that guy is going to kill
someone.