Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

Default I got sucked into buying chicken dogs.

Bought a package of Bar S hot dog for $1. I thought I'll try it
because it had big "Made with Chicken, Pork and Beef" on the package.
At home I read the fine print. Is contains more water than pork, and
more salt than beef.

So much for buying American.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

On 22 Feb 2007 13:07:25 -0800, "James" > wrote:

>Bought a package of Bar S hot dog for $1. I thought I'll try it
>because it had big "Made with Chicken, Pork and Beef" on the package.
>At home I read the fine print. Is contains more water than pork, and
>more salt than beef.
>
>So much for buying American.

Get Best Kosher dogs. Made in America.
But you gotta pay for them.
You get *one* for a buck.
The price of not eating slop.

--Vic
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 4:07 pm, "James" > wrote:
> Bought a package of Bar S hot dog for $1. I thought I'll try it
> because it had big "Made with Chicken, Pork and Beef" on the package.
> At home I read the fine print. Is contains more water than pork, and
> more salt than beef.
>
> So much for buying American.

You're always free to eat a broad.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

I once got sucked into marriage.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

"Al Bundy" > wrote

> You're always free to eat a broad.

Have we dated?

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
Van Van is offline

"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .
>I once got sucked into marriage.

I got sucked out of one. . .

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

"Van" > wrote in message

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>I once got sucked into marriage.
>>

> I got sucked out of one. . .

ahahaha!

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

James wrote:
> Bought a package of Bar S hot dog for $1. I thought I'll try it
> because it had big "Made with Chicken, Pork and Beef" on the package.
> At home I read the fine print. Is contains more water than pork, and
> more salt than beef.
>
> So much for buying American.

I am not sure what "buying American" has to do with it. Some might say
you simply got what you paid for.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 3:07 pm, "James" > wrote:
> Bought a package of Bar S hot dog for $1. I thought I'll try it
> because it had big "Made with Chicken, Pork and Beef" on the package.
> At home I read the fine print. Is contains more water than pork, and
> more salt than beef.

You know what happened there? You bought a package of Bar S hot dogs
for a dollar, that's what happened.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

On Feb 22, 3:58 pm, George > wrote:
> James wrote:
> > Bought a package of Bar S hot dog for $1. I thought I'll try it
> > because it had big "Made with Chicken, Pork and Beef" on the package.
> > At home I read the fine print. Is contains more water than pork, and
> > more salt than beef.

> > So much for buying American.

> I am not sure what "buying American" has to do with it. Some might say
> you simply got what you paid for.

I try to read the labels "before" I pay for the item. Saves a lot of
time and trouble. BTW...Bar S is yucky in general...Ball Park or
store brand Beef Franks only.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

James wrote:

> So much for buying American.

No - so much for not reading the ingredients
before buying.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

On 22 Feb 2007 16:13:11 -0800, "Christopher Helms"
> wrote:

>On Feb 22, 3:07 pm, "James" > wrote:
>> Bought a package of Bar S hot dog for $1. I thought I'll try it
>> because it had big "Made with Chicken, Pork and Beef" on the package.
>> At home I read the fine print. Is contains more water than pork, and
>> more salt than beef.

>You know what happened there? You bought a package of Bar S hot dogs
>for a dollar, that's what happened.

Bar S is pretty sad. Farmland hot dogs can be had for a buck on sale.
They're ok for kids or maybe a quick microwaved lunch on the run.
Real hot dogs cost as per pound as steak.

Lou
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

Vic Smith wrote:
> On 22 Feb 2007 13:07:25 -0800, "James" > wrote:
>
>> Bought a package of Bar S hot dog for $1. I thought I'll try it
>> because it had big "Made with Chicken, Pork and Beef" on the package.
>> At home I read the fine print. Is contains more water than pork, and
>> more salt than beef.
>>
>> So much for buying American.

> Get Best Kosher dogs. Made in America.
> But you gotta pay for them.
> You get *one* for a buck.
> The price of not eating slop.
>
> --Vic

I figure if meat is any good, there's no reason to grind it beyond
recognition in the first place. Ground meat is leftover junk by
definition. But at least "ground beef" is what it is. "Hotdog" can
mean anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

(James)cried:
>Bought a package of Bar S hot dog for $1.
>I thought I'll try it because it had big "Made
>with Chicken, Pork and Beef" on the package. At home
>I read the fine print. Is contains more water than
>pork, and more salt than beef.
>So much for buying

American.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you don't live in Michigan go buy National Hebrew Hot Dogs, most
major chain stores carry this brand.
My hubby is a native of michigan raised on Koegel's from day one and
recently tried National Hebrew & said they were just as good.

I tried Best Kosher brand and wasn't impressed.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

I was just ****ed that I was fooled by an American company. I assumed
that there would be at least enough pork and beef to at least make a
taste difference. When there is less beef than salt, you know they
put it in there so they can say it's made with beef. Used to be make
in USA meant quality.

Because I have gout I try not to eat beef.

Hot dogs might be made from crap but they taste good enough to have
once a while. It's all the condiments that makes them so good.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Bought a package of Bar S hot dog for $1. I thought I'll try it
> because it had big "Made with Chicken, Pork and Beef" on the package.
> At home I read the fine print. Is contains more water than pork, and
> more salt than beef.
>
> So much for buying American.

This is a pet peeve with me. I for one think that chicken is much better in
it's natural state rather than attempting any sort of sausage.

I really like a corn dog from time to time but every stinking place that
sells them has chicken dogs.

For regular dogs I stock up on Ball Park or Oscar Meyer when they go on
sale.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

In article . com>,
"James" > wrote:

> Bought a package of Bar S hot dog for $1. I thought I'll try it
> because it had big "Made with Chicken, Pork and Beef" on the package.
> At home I read the fine print. Is contains more water than pork, and
> more salt than beef.
>
> So much for buying American.

That's silly. I buy Hebrew National 97% fat free beef franks. They are
excellent and low fat, but they are not the cheapest hot dogs in the
store.
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

In ups.com,
Seerialmom >spewed forth:
> On Feb 22, 3:58 pm, George > wrote:
>> James wrote:
>>> Bought a package of Bar S hot dog for $1. I thought I'll try it
>>> because it had big "Made with Chicken, Pork and Beef" on the
>>> package. At home I read the fine print. Is contains more water
>>> than pork, and more salt than beef.

>>> So much for buying American.

>> I am not sure what "buying American" has to do with it. Some might
>> say you simply got what you paid for.

> I try to read the labels "before" I pay for the item. Saves a lot of
> time and trouble. BTW...Bar S is yucky in general...Ball Park or
> store brand Beef Franks only.

Nathans or Heb National are the best.
Oscar Mayer Delis aren't bad for just slumin' it
jmo

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

****ed, sure. But surprised? I hope not.

> Used to be make in USA meant quality.

You must be older than me, because I don't remember that time.

- Logan

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

Seerialmom wrote:
> On Feb 22, 3:58 pm, George > wrote:
>> James wrote:
>>> Bought a package of Bar S hot dog for $1. I thought I'll try it
>>> because it had big "Made with Chicken, Pork and Beef" on the package.
>>> At home I read the fine print. Is contains more water than pork, and
>>> more salt than beef.
>>> So much for buying American.

>> I am not sure what "buying American" has to do with it. Some might say
>> you simply got what you paid for.

> I try to read the labels "before" I pay for the item. Saves a lot of
> time and trouble. BTW...Bar S is yucky in general...Ball Park or
> store brand Beef Franks only.

Kunzler makes good dogs but you have to be careful where you buy them.
They have their usual decent brand and a version to meet the price point
of the big box markets in slightly different packaging.

http://www.kunzler.com/
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

"James" > wrote in message
oups.com...
><snip>
> Because I have gout I try not to eat beef.
>
> Hot dogs might be made from crap but they taste good enough to have
> once a while. It's all the condiments that makes them so good.

You might want to check with your doctor on the effects on gout of eating
even high-quality hot dogs. If nothing else, I suspect the nitrates,
nitrites and sodium--even if they didn't actually worsen your gout--would
make it feel more uncomfortable.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

"Chloe" > wrote in message
> "James" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> ><snip>
> > Because I have gout I try not to eat beef.
> >
> > Hot dogs might be made from crap but they taste good enough to have
> > once a while. It's all the condiments that makes them so good.

> You might want to check with your doctor on the effects on gout of eating
> even high-quality hot dogs. If nothing else, I suspect the nitrates,
> nitrites and sodium--even if they didn't actually worsen your gout--would
> make it feel more uncomfortable.

NO! don't take that advise. Hot dog's don't count especially if washed down
with beer. Gout is exacerbated by swiss steak.

--
Roger Shoaf

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:07:42 -0500, "Van" > wrote:

>"cybercat" > wrote in message
. ..
>>I once got sucked into marriage.
>>

>I got sucked out of one. . .

at least you have something to show for it.

your pal,
blake

Posted to austin.general,misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

In ,
Steve Wertz >spewed forth:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:17:30 -0600, ChairMan wrote:
>
>> Nathans or Heb National are the best.

> You mean "Hebrew National"? Or are you referring ot the grocery
> store?
>
>> jmo

> And here you are still denying your name is John, yet you finally
> slipped and posted your initials.
>
> -sw

JEEZUZ.....you're a stupid ****.
ya can't figure out how to pair up a couple of telco wires and now you
REALLY show your utterly stupid self by thinking "jmo" is my initials
I'll spell it out real slow for ya so even an idiot like yourself can
understand.......
J= just
M= my
O= opinion
GOT IT NOW?
go and write it 100 times so you don't forget.
Can we all give little stevie sqwertzy a standin ovation for his first day
in class.
<chuckle> what a ****in idiot, you are.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

"ChairMan" wrote:

> Nathans or Heb National are the best.

Those are barely satisfactory in a bind but far, FAR from the best.
Neither of those are natural casing dawgs and only a natural casing
dawg can even qualify to be in the running... modern day Hebs n' Nats
are practically garbage. In the commercial arena great dawgs are
Sabrett and Boar's Head natural casing... they are not sold in sealed
plastic packs... no dawg sold in a sealed pastic pack can qualify.
There are some others, and even some local butcher shops make pretty
good franks on premises, but none of the
molded/artificial casing dawgs can be in the same league with a real
frankfurter.

Sheldon

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

On Feb 23, 1:35�pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:17:30 -0600, ChairMan wrote:
> > Nathans or Heb National are the best.

> You mean "Hebrew National"? *Or are you referring ot the grocery
> store?
>
> > jmo

> And here you are still denying your name is John, yet you finally
> slipped and posted your initials.

Um, Sqwertz, even the newbiest webtv'er should be able to figure out
that jmo stands for just my opinion.

Sheldon Everhumble

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 18:07:42 -0500, "Van" > wrote:
>

>>"cybercat" > wrote in message
>>>I once got sucked into marriage.
>>>

>>I got sucked out of one. . .
>>

> at least you have something to show for it.

a divorce? Alimony payments? Child support?

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

On 22 Feb 2007 18:21:05 -0800, "James" > wrote:

>I was just ****ed that I was fooled by an American company. I assumed
>that there would be at least enough pork and beef to at least make a
>taste difference. When there is less beef than salt, you know they
>put it in there so they can say it's made with beef. Used to be make
>in USA meant quality.

From your original posting it appears you bought the "hot dogs" based
on the price, not the "qaulity".

>Because I have gout I try not to eat beef.

That doesn't explain why you read the label _after_ the purchase.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:17:30 -0600, a day that will live in infamy,
ChairMan stood on a soapbox and proclaimed:
:
:Nathans or Heb National are the best.
:Oscar Mayer Delis aren't bad for just slumin' it
:jmo
:
And don't forget Boar's Head.

The ONLY hot dogs worth eating are those with natural casings, anyway.
--
RivahCat >^..^<
"IN BAST WE TRUST"

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

In oups.com,
Sheldon >spewed forth:
> "ChairMan" wrote:
>>
>> Nathans or Heb National are the best.

> Those are barely satisfactory in a bind but far, FAR from the best.
> Neither of those are natural casing dawgs and only a natural casing
> dawg can even qualify to be in the running... modern day Hebs n' Nats
> are practically garbage. In the commercial arena great dawgs are
> Sabrett and Boar's Head natural casing... they are not sold in sealed
> plastic packs... no dawg sold in a sealed pastic pack can qualify.
> There are some others, and even some local butcher shops make pretty
> good franks on premises, but none of the
> molded/artificial casing dawgs can be in the same league with a real
> frankfurter.
>
> Sheldon

they are head and shoulders above most national brands, imo.
Sabretts' are okay, I've never seen the big deal about them. I think Nathans
have a much better flavor.
I forgot about Boars Head, they're pretty good. Sabretts are sold here in
plastic packs though.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

In ups.com,
Sheldon >spewed forth:
> On Feb 23, 1:35?pm, Steve Wertz > wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:17:30 -0600, ChairMan wrote:
>>> Nathans or Heb National are the best.

>> You mean "Hebrew National"? Or are you referring ot the grocery
>> store?
>>
>>> jmo

>> And here you are still denying your name is John, yet you finally
>> slipped and posted your initials.

> Um, Sqwertz, even the newbiest webtv'er should be able to figure out
> that jmo stands for just my opinion.
>
> Sheldon Everhumble

ya have to excuse little stevie, he's a bit mentally challenged

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:17:49 -0500, RivahCat > wrote:

>:Nathans or Heb National are the best.
>:Oscar Mayer Delis aren't bad for just slumin' it
>:jmo
>:
>And don't forget Boar's Head.
>
>The ONLY hot dogs worth eating are those with natural casings, anyway.

I personally like two brands which I haven't seen mentioned here yet.
One is Usingers, and the other is Sabretts. Usingers beats all the
ohter varieties I have seen mentioned, out of the water.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

> On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 13:17:49 -0500, RivahCat > wrote:
>

>>:Nathans or Heb National are the best.
>>:Oscar Mayer Delis aren't bad for just slumin' it
>>:jmo
>>:
>>And don't forget Boar's Head.
>>
>>The ONLY hot dogs worth eating are those with natural casings, anyway.

> I personally like two brands which I haven't seen mentioned here yet.
> One is Usingers, and the other is Sabretts. Usingers beats all the
> ohter varieties I have seen mentioned, out of the water.
>
> Christine

I've been buying Nathan's natural casing dogs for the last year. I used to
like Hebrew National until I opened a package and there were human hairs
stuck on the dogs. Found four. ( That WASN'T kosher!!!

Too bad Nathan's doesn't make the jumbo dinner dogs (H.N.). They were great
grilled on a toasted hoagie roll with Dijon and sauerkraut.

I remember Sabretts (from NYC street food cart fame). Never have heard of
Usingers. I'll take your word for it until I can taste for myself.

Andy
Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

James > wrote:
>Bought a package of Bar S hot dog for $1. I thought I'll try it
>because it had big "Made with Chicken, Pork and Beef" on the package.
>At home I read the fine print. Is contains more water than pork, and
>more salt than beef.
>
>So much for buying American.

Aidell's portobello mushroom turkey/chicken sausage.

--Blair

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
PVC PVC is offline

On Feb 22, 3:07 pm, "James" > wrote:
> Bought a package of Bar S hot dog for $1. I thought I'll try it
> because it had big "Made with Chicken, Pork and Beef" on the package.
> At home I read the fine print. Is contains more water than pork, and
> more salt than beef.
>
> So much for buying American.

lol @ a dollar...

you got screwed over for floor sweepings and entrails.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking
PVC PVC is offline

On Feb 22, 8:21 pm, "James" > wrote:
> I was just ****ed that I was fooled by an American company. I assumed
> that there would be at least enough pork and beef to at least make a
> taste difference. When there is less beef than salt, you know they
> put it in there so they can say it's made with beef. Used to be make
> in USA meant quality.

Yeah, damn those USA assholes, putting sub-par ingredients in a dollar
package of hot-dogs!

Heh. Next you'll be complaining because there was too much sodium
erythrobate in your hot dogs.

Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Logan Shaw > wrote:

> James wrote:
> > I was just ****ed that I was fooled by an American company.

> ****ed, sure. But surprised? I hope not.
>
> > Used to be make in USA meant quality.

> You must be older than me, because I don't remember that time.
>
> - Logan

It's good to remember that in making sausage, they use everything but
the squeal.

- Bill

THIS TURKEY MEATLOAF KINDA SUCKED Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_13_] General Cooking 0 05-03-2016 05:33 PM
the food sucked Nonny Barbecue 9 17-01-2010 05:23 PM
the food sucked Brick[_3_] Barbecue 0 24-12-2009 03:53 PM
Hot Dogs Chemo the Clown General Cooking 104 19-05-2009 12:28 AM
Grilling chicken Hot dogs mikehende Barbecue 5 16-09-2005 09:54 PM