Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substitute for sake?

This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't

see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?

I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is enough.

Thanks, nancy

MAHOGANY CHICKEN WINGS
By: Damsel in dis Dress
Appetizers/Dips, Chinese, Poultry

1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1/4 cup plum sauce
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup saki (rice wine)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon garlic; finely minced
1 bunch (about 6) green onions; finely minced
5 pounds chicken wings

1. Combine all ingredients except chicken. Bring to a boil, lower
heat, and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes. Cool.

2. Cut wings at joints, forming "drummies," "sticks," and "tips".
Discard tips, or save for making soup stock.

3. Place wings in a container for marinating (Zip-Loc bags work great
for this), then cover with sauce. Refrigerate at least overnight, up to
two days. Turn occasionally.

4. Line two large jelly roll pans with aluminum foil. Coat with
vegetable oil or shortening to minimize sticking. Preheat oven to 375F.

5. Place individual chicken pieces on pans and bake, uncovered, for 20

minutes. Remove liquified chicken fat and juices from pan. Turn
chicken pieces and baste with marinating sauce.

6. Bake another 20 minutes, turn chicken and baste. Repeat twice
more, watching carefully during the last baking cycle, so the sauce
doesn't burn.
7. Serve hot or cold.

Yield: 5 dozen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:

NY> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
NY> the sake?

NY> I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
NY> enough.

NY> Thanks, nancy

Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used
Amontillado, "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously the
usual bottle of cheaper sherry that I use for cooking.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote

> Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:
>
> NY> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
> NY> the sake?
>
> NY> I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
> NY> enough.

> Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used Amontillado,
> "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously the usual bottle of cheaper
> sherry that I use for cooking.

Thanks, Jim, I should keep a bottle of that in the house.
Unfortunately, they don't sell it at the supermarkets here.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:
>
>> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
>> the sake?

>> I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
>> enough.

>> Thanks, nancy

> Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used
> Amontillado, "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously the
> usual bottle of cheaper sherry that I use for cooking.

I don't know, dry sherry seems a little salty. I'd suggest mirin, maybe?
It's another type of sweet rice wine.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:29:21 -0500:

k> James Silverton wrote:
??>> Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:
??>>
??>>> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something
??>>> for the sake?
??>>
??>>> I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
??>>> enough.
??>>
??>>> Thanks, nancy
??>>
??>> Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used
??>> Amontillado, "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously
??>> the usual bottle of cheaper sherry that I use for cooking.
??>>
k> I don't know, dry sherry seems a little salty. I'd suggest
k> mirin, maybe? It's another type of sweet rice wine.

To each their own taste of course but I have never personally
detected a salty taste in sherry. I do keep a bottle of mirin
around and use it frequently but you have to careful with it as
a replacement for sake if there are other sources of sweetness
in the recipe.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote

> I don't know, dry sherry seems a little salty. I'd suggest mirin, maybe?
> It's another type of sweet rice wine.

I actually saw that in the supermarket, which surprised me. Wonder
if it's along the lines of 'cooking wine' ... not worth buying.

I should probably just wait until this evening when I can take the
other car. Thanks.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't
>
> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?
>
> I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is enough.
>
> Thanks, nancy

(Dams' mahogany wings recipe snipped)

'Twere I, I'd prolly use dry sherry or vermouth. It's what I use
whenever dry white is in the recipe. Maybe someone will tell you why
it's a bad idea -- JAT, though.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>
>> This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't
>>
>> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?

> 'Twere I, I'd prolly use dry sherry or vermouth. It's what I use
> whenever dry white is in the recipe. Maybe someone will tell you why
> it's a bad idea -- JAT, though.

Thanks, Barb! I wrote down all suggestions and I'll go tonight.
Imagine, grocery shopping in the evening, I never do that. I'll
hit the liquor store, too.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't
>
> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?
>
> I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is enough.
>
> Thanks, nancy

I would use Sherry.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 8:09 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't
>
> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?

FWIW, I know that some Chinese cooks substitute dry sherry for the
rice-derived liquors they traditionally cook with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> kilikini wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:29:21 -0500:
>
> k> James Silverton wrote:
> ??>> Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:
> ??>>
> ??>>> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something
> ??>>> for the sake?
> ??>>
> ??>>> I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
> ??>>> enough.
> ??>>
> ??>>> Thanks, nancy
> ??>>
> ??>> Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used
> ??>> Amontillado, "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously
> ??>> the usual bottle of cheaper sherry that I use for cooking.
> ??>>
> k> I don't know, dry sherry seems a little salty. I'd suggest
> k> mirin, maybe? It's another type of sweet rice wine.
>
> To each their own taste of course but I have never personally
> detected a salty taste in sherry. I do keep a bottle of mirin
> around and use it frequently but you have to careful with it as
> a replacement for sake if there are other sources of sweetness
> in the recipe.

In my experience Mirin (sold labelled "Ahi Mirin") is very sweet
(together with ground roasted sesame seeds, miso and rice wine vinegar
is makes a good sauce for grilled Japanese eggplant or for steamed
spinach), sake isn't very sweet, and sherry is not salty (maybe the
kind sold a "cooking sherry" is salty, I don't know). I'd go with the
suggestion of very dry sherry or dry vermouth.

-bwg

> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations:
> not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
> This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't
>
> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?
>
> I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is enough.
>
> Thanks, nancy

You can find Mirin in many supermarkets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't
>>
>> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?
>>
>> I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is enough.

> You can find Mirin in many supermarkets.

That would be okay? Good, because I did see that in the store
I'm going to later. Thanks.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
> This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't
>
> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?

No.

Ken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:19:26 -0500, "James Silverton"
<not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:

> Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:
>
> NY> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
> NY> the sake?
>
> NY> I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
> NY> enough.
>
> NY> Thanks, nancy
>
>Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used
>Amontillado, "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously the
>usual bottle of cheaper sherry that I use for cooking.
>
>James Silverton
>Potomac, Maryland

james, i know you cook a lot of asian stuff, so out of curiosity, what
brand of sherry do you use? (i'm getting to the end of the shao-hsing
wine if been using. i don't think it would drink it by itself.)

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:29:01 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote
>
>> Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:
>>
>> NY> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
>> NY> the sake?
>>
>> NY> I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
>> NY> enough.

>> Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used Amontillado,
>> "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously the usual bottle of cheaper
>> sherry that I use for cooking.

>Thanks, Jim, I should keep a bottle of that in the house.
>Unfortunately, they don't sell it at the supermarkets here.
>
>nancy

so go to the liquor store. they'll think you're some kind of genteel
closet tippler.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:29:21 -0500, "kilikini"
> wrote:

>James Silverton wrote:
>> Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:
>>
>>> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
>>> the sake?

>>> I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
>>> enough.

>>> Thanks, nancy

>> Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used
>> Amontillado, "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously the
>> usual bottle of cheaper sherry that I use for cooking.
>>

>I don't know, dry sherry seems a little salty. I'd suggest mirin, maybe?
>It's another type of sweet rice wine.
>
>kili

much too sweet, i would say. i think it is not so much sweet wine as
wine with sugar added. my bottle of kikkoman aji-mirin lists the
ingredients as rice, water, corn syrup, alcohol and salt. maybe it's
a little different on the home islands, but it's a bit more syrupy
than wine.

your pal,
blake

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't
>>
>> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?
>>
>> I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is enough.
>>
>> Thanks, nancy

> I would use Sherry.

For the sake (of another trip) .......just buy the sake at your local
liquour store... then you have it just in case!

e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
> This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't
>
> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?

Considering the light flavor of sake and the more intense flavors of the
other ingredients, just leave it out. If you need more liquid, water will
do. I'll bet 1 out of 250 people may be able to tell any difference

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 10:48�pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
>
> . ..
>
> > This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't

> > see the answer when I look. *Can I substitute something for the sake?

> Considering the light flavor of sake and the more intense flavors of the
> other ingredients, just leave it out. *If you need more liquid, water will
> do. *I'll bet 1 out of 250 people may be able to tell any difference

Agreed... probaby not even one (1) can tell the difference. and if
someone really, really has a need to follow the recipe then any white
wine will work, even beer... adding wine is really just adding a bit
of sugar water... folks who insist one cook with expensive wines are
idiots, they'd get exactly the same results with cheap beer, or apple
juice... a big pinch of sugar in a pot of stew will give exactly the
same results as sloshing in a cup of $100 a bottle Champagne.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 02:00:24 GMT:

??>> Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:
??>>
NY>>> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something
NY>>> for the sake?
??>>
NY>>> I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
NY>>> enough.
??>>
NY>>> Thanks, nancy
??>>
??>> Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used
??>> Amontillado, "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously
??>> the usual bottle of cheaper sherry that I use for cooking.
??>>
??>> James Silverton
??>> Potomac, Maryland
??>>
bm> james, i know you cook a lot of asian stuff, so out of
bm> curiosity, what brand of sherry do you use? (i'm getting
bm> to the end of the shao-hsing wine if been using. i don't
bm> think it would drink it by itself.)

I've never detected much difference in the results with
different brands of sherries and I normally just pick up a
midlevel California brand, currently Paul Masson. An advantage
of sherry is in following Julia Child and having a swig of the
stuff while cooking :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't
>
> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?

I'd go with dry white wine, vermouth, even a splash of vodka. Sherry
is sherry. Similar to Chinese wine but not sake. Sherry's a distinct
flavor, nutty, salty, whatever. I don't think sake could ever
dominate a dish like sherry can. I can even taste sherry in some rioja
wines and they're grown and bottled hundreds of miles apart. Over-
active imagination? Maybe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"stark" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Nancy Young wrote:
>> This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I
>> don't
>>
>> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
>> the sake?
>>

> I'd go with dry white wine, vermouth, even a splash of vodka.
> Sherry
> is sherry. Similar to Chinese wine but not sake. Sherry's a
> distinct
> flavor, nutty, salty, whatever. I don't think sake could ever
> dominate a dish like sherry can. I can even taste sherry in
> some rioja
> wines and they're grown and bottled hundreds of miles apart.
> Over-
> active imagination? Maybe.

I guess your sensitivity to "sherry" is greater than most but
there are many types of sherry. In general, the light colored
ones have more subtle or less obvious tastes. Thus I would not
use a brown sherry as a replacement for sake. Of course,
sometimes you do want a strong flavor. It's not sherry but think
of Veal au Marsala.

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:03:05 -0500, "James Silverton"
<not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote:

> blake wrote on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 02:00:24 GMT:
>
> ??>> Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:
> ??>>
> ??>>
> ??>>
> ??>>
> ??>> Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used
> ??>> Amontillado, "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously
> ??>> the usual bottle of cheaper sherry that I use for cooking.
> ??>>
> ??>> James Silverton
> ??>> Potomac, Maryland
> ??>>
> bm> james, i know you cook a lot of asian stuff, so out of
> bm> curiosity, what brand of sherry do you use? (i'm getting
> bm> to the end of the shao-hsing wine if been using. i don't
> bm> think it would drink it by itself.)
>
> I've never detected much difference in the results with
>different brands of sherries and I normally just pick up a
>midlevel California brand, currently Paul Masson. An advantage
>of sherry is in following Julia Child and having a swig of the
>stuff while cooking :-)
>
>James Silverton
>Potomac, Maryland

thanks.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 8:29 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote
>
> > Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:

> > NY> see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
> > NY> the sake?

> > NY> I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
> > NY> enough.
> > Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used Amontillado,
> > "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously the usual bottle of cheaper
> > sherry that I use for cooking.

> Thanks, Jim, I should keep a bottle of that in the house.
> Unfortunately, they don't sell it at the supermarkets here.
>
> nancy

I'd never heard of Amontillado previously, but DH just bought a bottle
at Trader Joe's yesterday. $4.99, I believe.
Can't recall if you shop there or not.
Dee Dee

Sake World Sake Newsletter, December, 2006 Gerry Sushi 0 06-12-2006 01:27 AM
Sake? Brian Winemaking 2 25-07-2004 09:50 PM
Box sake again! James Silverton Sushi 0 11-12-2003 10:48 PM
Box Sake Ken Blake Sushi 15 09-12-2003 06:23 PM