Old 21-02-2007, 02:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Substitute for sake?

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:29:01 -0500, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

"James Silverton" not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote

Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:

NY see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
NY the sake?

NY I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
NY enough.

Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used Amontillado,
"Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously the usual bottle of cheaper
sherry that I use for cooking.

Thanks, Jim, I should keep a bottle of that in the house.
Unfortunately, they don't sell it at the supermarkets here.

nancy

so go to the liquor store. they'll think you're some kind of genteel
closet tippler.

your pal,
blake

Old 21-02-2007, 02:09 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:29:21 -0500, "kilikini"
wrote:

James Silverton wrote:
Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:

see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
the sake?

I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
enough.

Thanks, nancy

Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used
Amontillado, "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously the
usual bottle of cheaper sherry that I use for cooking.

I don't know, dry sherry seems a little salty. I'd suggest mirin, maybe?
It's another type of sweet rice wine.

kili

much too sweet, i would say. i think it is not so much sweet wine as
wine with sugar added. my bottle of kikkoman aji-mirin lists the
ingredients as rice, water, corn syrup, alcohol and salt. maybe it's
a little different on the home islands, but it's a bit more syrupy
than wine.

your pal,
blake

your pal,
blake
Old 21-02-2007, 03:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" wrote in message
Nancy Young wrote:
This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't

see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?

I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is enough.

Thanks, nancy

I would use Sherry.

For the sake (of another trip) .......just buy the sake at your local
liquour store... then you have it just in case!

e.

Old 21-02-2007, 03:48 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message
. ..
This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't

see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?

Considering the light flavor of sake and the more intense flavors of the
other ingredients, just leave it out. If you need more liquid, water will
do. I'll bet 1 out of 250 people may be able to tell any difference

Old 21-02-2007, 04:04 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 10:48�pm, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Nancy Young" wrote in message

. ..

This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't

see the answer when I look. *Can I substitute something for the sake?

Considering the light flavor of sake and the more intense flavors of the
other ingredients, just leave it out. *If you need more liquid, water will
do. *I'll bet 1 out of 250 people may be able to tell any difference

Agreed... probaby not even one (1) can tell the difference. and if
someone really, really has a need to follow the recipe then any white
wine will work, even beer... adding wine is really just adding a bit
of sugar water... folks who insist one cook with expensive wines are
idiots, they'd get exactly the same results with cheap beer, or apple
juice... a big pinch of sugar in a pot of stew will give exactly the
same results as sloshing in a cup of $100 a bottle Champagne.

Old 21-02-2007, 01:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

blake wrote on Wed, 21 Feb 2007 02:00:24 GMT:

?? Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:
??
NY see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something
NY for the sake?
??
NY I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
NY enough.
??
NY Thanks, nancy
??
?? Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used
?? Amontillado, "Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously
?? the usual bottle of cheaper sherry that I use for cooking.
??
?? James Silverton
?? Potomac, Maryland
??
bm james, i know you cook a lot of asian stuff, so out of
bm curiosity, what brand of sherry do you use? (i'm getting
bm to the end of the shao-hsing wine if been using. i don't
bm think it would drink it by itself.)

I've never detected much difference in the results with
different brands of sherries and I normally just pick up a
midlevel California brand, currently Paul Masson. An advantage
of sherry is in following Julia Child and having a swig of the
stuff while cooking :-)

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Old 21-02-2007, 01:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I don't

see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for the sake?

I'd go with dry white wine, vermouth, even a splash of vodka. Sherry
is sherry. Similar to Chinese wine but not sake. Sherry's a distinct
flavor, nutty, salty, whatever. I don't think sake could ever
dominate a dish like sherry can. I can even taste sherry in some rioja
wines and they're grown and bottled hundreds of miles apart. Over-
active imagination? Maybe.

Old 21-02-2007, 01:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"stark" wrote in message
oups.com...

Nancy Young wrote:
This question has been asked a million times, I think, but I
don't

see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
the sake?

I'd go with dry white wine, vermouth, even a splash of vodka.
Sherry
is sherry. Similar to Chinese wine but not sake. Sherry's a
distinct
flavor, nutty, salty, whatever. I don't think sake could ever
dominate a dish like sherry can. I can even taste sherry in
some rioja
wines and they're grown and bottled hundreds of miles apart.
Over-
active imagination? Maybe.

I guess your sensitivity to "sherry" is greater than most but
there are many types of sherry. In general, the light colored
ones have more subtle or less obvious tastes. Thus I would not
use a brown sherry as a replacement for sake. Of course,
sometimes you do want a strong flavor. It's not sherry but think
of Veal au Marsala.

--
James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old 21-02-2007, 06:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 08:03:05 -0500, "James Silverton"
[...]

thanks.

your pal,
blake
Old 22-02-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 20, 8:29 am, "Nancy Young" wrote:
"James Silverton" not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not wrote

Nancy wrote on Tue, 20 Feb 2007 08:09:39 -0500:

NY see the answer when I look. Can I substitute something for
NY the sake?

NY I'm car challenged and just going to the supermarket is
NY enough.
Very dry sherry seems to work for me. In fact, I have used Amontillado,
"Cocktail" or "Very Dry"....pretty obviously the usual bottle of cheaper
sherry that I use for cooking.

Thanks, Jim, I should keep a bottle of that in the house.
Unfortunately, they don't sell it at the supermarkets here.

nancy

I'd never heard of Amontillado previously, but DH just bought a bottle
at Trader Joe's yesterday. $4.99, I believe.
Can't recall if you shop there or not.
Dee Dee

Sake World Sake Newsletter, December, 2006 Gerry Sushi 0 06-12-2006 12:27 AM
Sake? Brian Winemaking 2 25-07-2004 09:50 PM
Box sake again! James Silverton Sushi 0 11-12-2003 09:48 PM
Box Sake Ken Blake Sushi 15 09-12-2003 05:23 PM