Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sour Cream spoilage?

I have a carton of sour cream dated best before Jan 5. Does sour
cream get toxic or would it be ok to use in a casserole. There is no
mold. I bought it to make dips for new years and we cancelled our
plans. Time flies.....Thanks...Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> I have a carton of sour cream dated best before Jan 5. Does sour
> cream get toxic or would it be ok to use in a casserole. There is no
> mold. I bought it to make dips for new years and we cancelled our
> plans.

If it looks fine, smells fine and tastes fine, it is fine. Don't worry
about it. Freeze it next time. Sour cream usually stays good for quite
a while if the container you bought it in is unopened. (And only goes
bad a little faster if you open it first.)

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 12:23�pm, biig > wrote:
> * *I have a carton of sour cream dated best before Jan 5. *Does sour
> cream get toxic or would it be ok to use in a casserole. *There is no
> mold. *I bought it to make dips for new years and we cancelled our
> plans. Time flies.....Thanks...Sharon

Toss it.

Nancy T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> I have a carton of sour cream dated best before Jan 5. Does sour
> cream get toxic or would it be ok to use in a casserole. There is no
> mold. I bought it to make dips for new years and we cancelled our
> plans. Time flies.....Thanks...Sharon

It's fine, as long as it doesn't have mold on the surface. I frequently
buy close-dated sour cream from the "used meat" bin, and I never get in
a big hurry to use it.

I won't mention how old the carton of cottage cheese was that I opened
recently, and it was still good.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:

> I have a carton of sour cream dated best before Jan 5. Does sour
> cream get toxic or would it be ok to use in a casserole. There is no
> mold. I bought it to make dips for new years and we cancelled our
> plans. Time flies.....Thanks...Sharon

Go for it, but use it quickly. I like to have sour cream on hand but rarely
get to it before the expiry date.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 15:23:51 -0500, biig wrote:
>
> > I have a carton of sour cream dated best before Jan 5.

> A dairy product 1.5 month past the Use By date? I would think
> that would be a no-brainer.
>
> Why ruin the dish by trying to save $.99?
>
> -sw

Not a matter of saving money. I have a dish I want to make for
supper and we're not making a 1/2 hour trip to town for more. : )
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> I have a carton of sour cream dated best before Jan 5.

> A dairy product 1.5 month past the Use By date? I would think
> that would be a no-brainer.
>
> Why ruin the dish by trying to save $.99?
>
> -sw

99 cents? lucky you. Costs about $3.50+tax (canadian) for a tub here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>I won't mention how old the carton of cottage cheese was that I opened
>recently, and it was still good.

I found some riccotta in the back of the fridge last week that had
turned into a new life form.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 15:57:50 -0500, biig wrote:
>
> > Steve Wertz wrote:

> >> A dairy product 1.5 month past the Use By date? I would think
> >> that would be a no-brainer.
> >>
> >> Why ruin the dish by trying to save $.99?

> > Not a matter of saving money. I have a dish I want to make for
> > supper and we're not making a 1/2 hour trip to town for more. : )

> Then by all means, use it. It's only dinner. Which you'd end up
> wasting anyway, not to mention the time and other ingredients.
>
> It may very well be good depending on how it was packaged. Me?
> I would have opened, smelled, and optionally tasted it before I
> posted such a question.
>
> It's only common sense. We can't taste or smell it for you.
>
> -sw

Awwww you're so sweet......lol....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter" > wrote in message

>>> I have a carton of sour cream dated best before Jan 5.

>> A dairy product 1.5 month past the Use By date? I would think
>> that would be a no-brainer.
>>
>> Why ruin the dish by trying to save $.99?
>>
>> -sw

> 99 cents? lucky you. Costs about $3.50+tax (canadian) for a tub here.

Ah, you must be in a small town, or maybe Inuvik? Costs about $1.50 for a
big tub here in Brampton!

e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> biig wrote:
>
>> I have a carton of sour cream dated best before Jan 5. Does sour
>> cream get toxic or would it be ok to use in a casserole. There is no
>> mold. I bought it to make dips for new years and we cancelled our
>> plans.

> If it looks fine, smells fine and tastes fine, it is fine.

Yeah, if it wasn't opened and it's not pink and moldy then it's ok.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> A dairy product 1.5 month past the Use By date? I would think
>>> that would be a no-brainer.
>>>
>>> Why ruin the dish by trying to save $.99?
>>>
>>> -sw

>> 99 cents? lucky you. Costs about $3.50+tax (canadian) for a tub here.

> Ah, you must be in a small town, or maybe Inuvik? Costs about $1.50 for
> a big tub here in Brampton!
>
> e.

Halifax, nearly 400,000 people, not small.

When I lived in southern ON (which was not long ago), it was noticably
cheaper, as was all other dairy. The price of milk just took a jump
recently, not sure if it was nation wide or provincial, average about $6+tax
for 4 litres here now. Booze also costs more, which is a shame :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig > wrote:

> I have a carton of sour cream dated best before Jan 5. Does sour
> cream get toxic or would it be ok to use in a casserole. There is no
> mold.

If there is no mould and the sour cream tastes fine, I'd use it without
a second thought.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mitch" <Mitch@...> wrote in message

>>I won't mention how old the carton of cottage cheese was that I opened
>>recently, and it was still good.

> I found some riccotta in the back of the fridge last week that had
> turned into a new life form.

In my house, cheese would have to wear a disguise to have even a
chance of remaining unconsumed long enough to grow hair.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 22:10:06 GMT, "Peter" > wrote:

>Halifax, nearly 400,000 people, not small.
>
>When I lived in southern ON (which was not long ago), it was noticably
>cheaper, as was all other dairy. The price of milk just took a jump
>recently, not sure if it was nation wide or provincial, average about $6+tax
>for 4 litres here now. Booze also costs more, which is a shame :-)

You pay tax on *food*???!?

Jo Anne

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jo Anne" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 22:10:06 GMT, "Peter" > wrote:
>
>>Halifax, nearly 400,000 people, not small.
>>
>>When I lived in southern ON (which was not long ago), it was noticably
>>cheaper, as was all other dairy. The price of milk just took a jump
>>recently, not sure if it was nation wide or provincial, average about
>>$6+tax
>>for 4 litres here now. Booze also costs more, which is a shame :-)

> You pay tax on *food*???!?
>
> Jo Anne

In North Carolina we pay 2% sales tax on food purchased at a store. That
was a bit of a shock for us when we moved here, as we'd always lived in a
state where food (and clothing) were exempt.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jo Anne wrote:
> You pay tax on *food*???!?

In my city in Idaho, USA (adjacent to Canada), we pay 6% sales tax on
food. Our govt passed a law to give us a bit of a tax break, but not
nearly as much as the avg person pays. Dumb, taxing food, IMO.

Jnospam
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dawn wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>> If it looks fine, smells fine and tastes fine, it is fine.

> Yeah, if it wasn't opened and it's not pink and moldy then it's ok.

Pink? You get pink mold? I've only seen blue and green. How do you
get pink? ;-)

Jnospam
Posted to rec.food.cooking

justen wrote:

> Pink? You get pink mold? I've only seen blue and green. How do you
> get pink? ;-)

Just lucky, I guess. You want I should save some for you next time.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In rec.food.cooking, biig > wrote:

> I have a carton of sour cream dated best before Jan 5. Does sour
> cream get toxic or would it be ok to use in a casserole. There is no
> mold. I bought it to make dips for new years and we cancelled our
> plans. Time flies.....Thanks...Sharon

When in doubt, throw it out. The expirtation date is there for a reason,
you ignorant cow!

No, I've got a better idea. Ask a bunch of strangers on usenet, and if
one of them says its OK, feed it to your children.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message ...
>
> When in doubt, throw it out. The expirtation date is there for a reason,
> you ignorant cow!
>
> No, I've got a better idea. Ask a bunch of strangers on usenet, and if
> one of them says its OK, feed it to your children.

It's not an "expirtation" date moron. It's _sell by_ date. Which means it
will be good for some time beyond the date.

Ms P

CheeseCake - Sour Cream vs. Heavy Cream Vs. ? Cyber Baking 10 18-11-2006 05:29 AM
Storing sour cream upside down prevents spoilage? Abe General Cooking 67 26-03-2006 08:07 PM
Sour after-taste... spoilage? Bruno Beer 13 12-04-2005 11:41 PM
Sour Cream Carol In WI General Cooking 3 06-12-2004 08:43 PM
can sour cream be a substitute for cream fraiche? SPOONS General Cooking 14 07-08-2004 02:08 AM