Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Carlos Santana Starting Restaurant Chain - Huh??

Seen in the San Jose Mercury News (Friday, 2/16/2007):

SANTANAS TO OPEN CHAIN OF EATERIES

The newest addition to the roster of celebrity-inspired restaurants,
Carlos and Deborah Santana's Maria Maria, promises to deliver
authentic Mexican cuisine in an atmosphere inspired by his music. The
59-year old musician
and his wife, Deborah, announced a partnership this week with Walnut
Creek based Dudum Sports & Entertainment, which developed Joe
DiMaggio's Italian Chophouse in San Francisco. The first restaurant is
set to open in Walnut Creek in April, Followed by Mill Valley and
Santa Rosa.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Feb 2007 22:04:51 -0800, "KevinS" > wrote:

>DiMaggio's Italian Chophouse in San Francisco.

Have you been there? How is it?

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 2007, sf wrote:

> >DiMaggio's Italian Chophouse in San Francisco.

> Have you been there? *How is it?

I went once as a guest last year. I went with a bias not
to like it. Turned out that the food was - IMO - quite good,
and the place was fun. Service could stand some polish,
but it was friendly.

If you haven't been, be forewarned that they sauce their
steaks before presentation. If you prefer no sauce or
sauce on the side, let your server know when you order.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 2007, sf wrote:

> That's odd. *Sauced? *With what??? *Is this more of a tourist joint
> rather than a locals hang out? *Don't get me wrong, I like bernaise
> sauce on my steak, but I want to know it's coming.

Bearnaise was an option. However, I recall that the "default"
sauce was a pan reduction beef stock, red wine, butter type
of thing. My host had steak. I had halibut. It was a large
serving and very nicely prepared.

Hard to say what the composition of the crowd was (it was
definitely full). It wouldn't surprise me if tourists and out of
town convention visitors made up a large portion of the
customers.