Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Ready To Cook Flour Tortillas

Found this new product recently, uncooked flour tortillas. They're by
Guerrero, 8" or 9" in diameter, quite thin. You just get a griddle or
skillet hot (dry, no oil), then put the tortillas on, turning them
with your fingers several times at 15 or 20 second intervals. In less
than a minute little brown markings appear and they're done.

I can't say they're a lot better than regular cooked flour tortillas,
similarly heated. They are thinner than most, which I like, and
they're obviously the freshest possible. I like them enough to buy
some more. I suspect they are not marketed widely -- I'm in Southern
California -- but maybe if they sell well they'll catch on and become
more available. If you do see them, I'd definitely say give them a
try. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Feb 2007 16:19:28 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>Found this new product recently, uncooked flour tortillas. They're by
>Guerrero, 8" or 9" in diameter, quite thin.

I like them enough to buy
>some more. I suspect they are not marketed widely -- I'm in Southern
>California -- but maybe if they sell well they'll catch on and become
>more available. If you do see them, I'd definitely say give them a
>try. -aem

They are widely available here in Albuquerque, NM and maybe other
parts of NM. I used them a bit last year and they were pretty good.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 14 Feb 2007 16:19:28 -0800, "aem" > rummaged
among random neurons and opined:

>Found this new product recently, uncooked flour tortillas.

<snip>

Yahbut, why would you buy store bought when homemade is so easy*?

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Flour Tortillas

mexican

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon shortening
1/2 cup +/- water

In mixing bowl, stir together flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in
shortening until mixture resembles corn meal. Add water and mix until
dough can be gathered into a ball. Let dough rest 15 mins. Divide
dough into 12 portions; shape into balls. On a lightly floured
surface, roll each ball to a 7" round. Cook on ungreased skillet over
medium heat about 1 1/2 mins. per side or until lightly browned.

Makes 12 tortillas

* and if you separate the flour tortillas with waxed paper and put
them in an airtight container in the fridge, you can reheat them on an
ungreased skillet and they're just like new! They keep for a week.

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

--
"Most vigitaryans I iver see looked enough like their food to be
classed as cannybals."

Finley Peter Dunne (1900)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Also available here in Harlingen, TX. They were ok, but then, I'm not
really into them

--
Helen
in
"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On 14 Feb 2007 16:19:28 -0800, "aem" > wrote:
>
>>Found this new product recently, uncooked flour tortillas. They're by
>>Guerrero, 8" or 9" in diameter, quite thin.

> I like them enough to buy
>>some more. I suspect they are not marketed widely -- I'm in Southern
>>California -- but maybe if they sell well they'll catch on and become
>>more available. If you do see them, I'd definitely say give them a
>>try. -aem

> They are widely available here in Albuquerque, NM and maybe other
> parts of NM. I used them a bit last year and they were pretty good.
>
> Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Found this new product recently, uncooked flour tortillas. They're by
> Guerrero, 8" or 9" in diameter, quite thin. You just get a griddle or
> skillet hot (dry, no oil), then put the tortillas on, turning them
> with your fingers several times at 15 or 20 second intervals. In less
> than a minute little brown markings appear and they're done.
>
> I can't say they're a lot better than regular cooked flour tortillas,
> similarly heated. They are thinner than most, which I like, and
> they're obviously the freshest possible. I like them enough to buy
> some more. I suspect they are not marketed widely -- I'm in Southern
> California -- but maybe if they sell well they'll catch on and become
> more available. If you do see them, I'd definitely say give them a
> try. -aem

Do you think there's any chance I'd find them in San Diego? Dimitri and
I are going to play together today -- maybe I'll mention it to him and
see if we can find them. I'll check the web for leads. I like the idea
of thin.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in news:1171498768.877927.317890
@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

> Found this new product recently, uncooked flour tortillas.

Where are these? In the freezer or on the shelf?

--
Untie the two knots to email me

Every silver lining has a cloud.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 15, 8:48 am, Ken Knecht > wrote:
> "aem" > wrote in news:1171498768.877927.317890
> @v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Found this new product recently, uncooked flour tortillas.

> Where are these? In the freezer or on the shelf?

My big chain supermarket doesn't have them. I get them at a smaller
grocery store in a Spanish-speaking community, where they stock them
right along with all the rest of the tortillas. I refrigerate them
when I get them home and you'd think they would put them in a cool
case at the store but I don't see anything about that on the
package. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
> "aem" > wrote in news:1171498768.877927.317890
> @v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:
>
>> Found this new product recently, uncooked flour tortillas.

> Where are these? In the freezer or on the shelf?

They are at my Costco in Idaho in the refrigerated case where they keep the
yogurt, salad dressings and the like.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 14, 7:19 pm, "aem" > wrote:
> Found this new product recently, uncooked flour tortillas. They're by
> Guerrero, 8" or 9" in diameter, quite thin. You just get a griddle or
> skillet hot (dry, no oil), then put the tortillas on, turning them
> with your fingers several times at 15 or 20 second intervals. In less
> than a minute little brown markings appear and they're done.

I just picked up a package of something that sounds very similar for
the first time... My question is: How long do they keep? Can they
frozen in uncooked form and successfully thawed and cooked at a later
date?

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 15, 9:57 am, "kuvasz guy" > wrote:
> I just picked up a package of something that sounds very similar for
> the first time... My question is: How long do they keep? Can they
> frozen in uncooked form and successfully thawed and cooked at a later
> date?

Dunno. There are only 10 or 12 in a package and the longest I've kept
them in the fridge is probably a week. There are potential uses for
them at breakfast, lunch and dinner, so they don't last long. It's a
simpler dough than pizza, which many freeze, so I would expect no
problems from freezing-thawing-cooking these. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:45:57 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article .com>,
> "aem" > wrote:
>
>> Found this new product recently, uncooked flour tortillas. They're by
>> Guerrero, 8" or 9" in diameter, quite thin. You just get a griddle or
>> skillet hot (dry, no oil), then put the tortillas on, turning them
>> with your fingers several times at 15 or 20 second intervals. In less
>> than a minute little brown markings appear and they're done.
>>
>> I can't say they're a lot better than regular cooked flour tortillas,
>> similarly heated. They are thinner than most, which I like, and
>> they're obviously the freshest possible. I like them enough to buy
>> some more. I suspect they are not marketed widely -- I'm in Southern
>> California -- but maybe if they sell well they'll catch on and become
>> more available. If you do see them, I'd definitely say give them a
>> try. -aem

>Do you think there's any chance I'd find them in San Diego? Dimitri and
>I are going to play together today -- maybe I'll mention it to him and
>see if we can find them. I'll check the web for leads. I like the idea
>of thin.

Barb,
They've been available here for years. I know Von's carries them, not
sure about Albertson's

Have fun you two. I'm busy packing for Lake Havasu. Wish I could have
joined you.

Koko

--
New blog in progress
http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com

A Human being on the net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:15:02 -0600, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On 14 Feb 2007 16:19:28 -0800, aem wrote:
>
>> I can't say they're a lot better than regular cooked flour tortillas,

>I hear people rave about them, but I think it's just the concept
>rather than the taste. I've bought several brands (including the
>ones from CostCo) and they suck just like all the other pre-baked
>flour tortillas.
>
>Somebody would sell *thin* flour tortillas, like they have at
>many restaurants. Even my Chinese restraurant can get them for
>their mooshoo dishes. But they don't sell them retail that I've
>ever seen.

I thin either you like them or you don't. I'm a whitie, so I took the
word of people who told me I should like corn tortillas better. After
many years of eating corn (they were fine), I discovered flour
tortillas - which are FABULOUS and I don't even care what brand it is
as long as it's flour.

Don't get me wrong. Flour has it's place in cooking. I use corn to
cook with and flour to eat out of hand. The only corn tortillas I
absolutely love are the hand-made ones (which I'll stuff down my
gullet now, thanks).

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B." > wrote in message

> "Ken Knecht" > wrote in message
>> "aem" > wrote in news:1171498768.877927.317890
>> @v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:
>>
>>> Found this new product recently, uncooked flour tortillas.

>> Where are these? In the freezer or on the shelf?
>>

> They are at my Costco in Idaho in the refrigerated case where they keep
> the yogurt, salad dressings and the like.

That's where I've seen 'em here in Baltimore--near the sour cream, cheese,
eggs, etc.

I miss the hot, freshly-made flour tortillas I used to get in Houston area
supermarkets. YUM. Half the bag would be gone before I'd even get home.

Mary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Koko > wrote:

> On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:45:57 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article .com>,
> > "aem" > wrote:
> >
> >> Found this new product recently, uncooked flour tortillas. They're by
> >> Guerrero, 8" or 9" in diameter, quite thin. You just get a griddle or

(snip)
> >Do you think there's any chance I'd find them in San Diego? Dimitri and
> >I are going to play together today -- maybe I'll mention it to him and
> >see if we can find them. I'll check the web for leads. I like the idea
> >of thin.

> Barb,
> They've been available here for years. I know Von's carries them, not
> sure about Albertson's
>
> Have fun you two. I'm busy packing for Lake Havasu. Wish I could have
> joined you.
>
> Koko
>
> --
> New blog in progress
> http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com
>
> A Human being on the net

Dimitri and I and his wife had a grand time! More about that another
time.

And you should have heard Beloved Niece Sandra guffaw when I told her
you and I spent two hours in a super-market just looking around. Silly
Girl.

Sandy and I took the light rail into Old Town this morning and had a
great breakfast in a Mexican place there. Watched Nice Ladies making
flour torts and I brought a half dozen home with me.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote on 16 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> Watched Nice Ladies making
> flour torts and I brought a half dozen home with me.

What will you do with the half dozen Ladies? Stuff like that ain't legal up
here...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote:
> Melba's Jammin' wrote on 16 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Watched Nice Ladies making
>> flour torts and I brought a half dozen home with me.
>>

> What will you do with the half dozen Ladies? Stuff like that ain't legal up
> here...

She'll put 'em to work making jam. Our Barb ain't no dummy!

Guests coming this afternoon for the weekend and to enjoy the new hot
tub tonight. The cupboard is bare and I really need to get to the market
and get some wine. I am hoping to rope my friend Rick into making his
stuffed artichokes for an afternoon snack since we'll be dining out
tonight. They want to do one of those Japanese steak houses where they
cook at your table and toss the knives around periously, which will
amuse the kidlet if she's with us?
For brunch tomorrow I'm going to put together a strata tonight. Served
with bacon (baked in a large batch), perhaps the ginger-pear coffee cake
I love so much and some fresh fruit.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Egg Strata

5 slices buttered bread -- cubed
4 eggs -- slightly beaten
2 cups milk
3/4 pound sharp cheddar cheese -- grated
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients and pour into a buttered casserole. Chill till
next morning.
Bake covered 1 hour at 350 degrees.
Let stand about 10 min .. cut and serve.
Good with Sherried Mushrooms:
Clean and stem one pound fresh mushrooms-saute them in butter sprinkled
liberally with onion power. Dredge with dry sherry when browned and
serve with strata.

* Exported from MasterCook *

Pear Ginger Coffee Cake

Recipe By :Penzeys (Early Summer 2003) Catalog
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : Breakfast Cakes

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups flour -- sifted
1 1/2 cups pears, peeled and diced into 1/4-1/2" cube
1/4 cup cinnamon sugar -- (mixed my own)
2 tablespoons crystallized ginger -- finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9x13 glass pan and set aside.
Stir the baking soda into the buttermilk and set aside
Cream the shortening, salt and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add
the egg and vanilla and mix well.
Alternately add the buttermilk and flour to the mixing bowl, beating
well after each addition.
Fold in the pears and pour into greased pan. Mix together the cinnamon
sugar and chopped cystallized ginger. Sprinkle evenly over the top of cake.
Bake 35-40 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 16:00:02 GMT, Mr Libido Incognito >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote on 16 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Watched Nice Ladies making
>> flour torts and I brought a half dozen home with me.
>>

>What will you do with the half dozen Ladies? Stuff like that ain't legal up
>here...

Personally, if they are handmade - I'd just heat and eat with a dash
of salt as an accompaniment to something else.... maybe chicken mole.

But if you really want to "cook" with them, make quesadillas. I'd
stay simple with cheese only (maybe some salsa, sour cream and
guacomole on the side) or you could get fancy and make the meal type
with chicken or beef. In some places around here they are called a
suiza, in other places they are just called chicken or steak
quesadilla.

http://www.cooksrecipes.com/sandwich...as-recipe.html
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/cat/156/0.shtml
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...quesadilla.php

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 22:49:39 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Koko > wrote:

one snippy snippy,

>> Have fun you two. I'm busy packing for Lake Havasu. Wish I could have
>> joined you.
>>
>> Koko
>>
>> --
>> New blog in progress
>> http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com
>>
>> A Human being on the net

>Dimitri and I and his wife had a grand time! More about that another
>time.

Please post what you all did. I'd love to hear about it.

>And you should have heard Beloved Niece Sandra guffaw when I told her
>you and I spent two hours in a super-market just looking around. Silly
>Girl.

Yea, but it was a SUPER market. There _is_ a difference.
I think you are being conservative about the time we spent in there.

>Sandy and I took the light rail into Old Town this morning and had a
>great breakfast in a Mexican place there. Watched Nice Ladies making
>flour torts and I brought a half dozen home with me.

I'm glad you found decent food there.

DH and I go there frequently to a bead shop I like. We have tried
every restaurant around there, much to our disappointment. So much so
that I have been tempted to write the Chamber of Commerce to tell them
how embarrassing it is to have such poor representation of not only
Mexican food, but of the quality of restaurants we have in San Diego.

Wow, nothing beats fresh hand made tortillas. I usually eat half of
them before I get them home.

I'm packaging up your goodies tomorrow and will get them off in the
mail Wed.

I'm so happy you enjoyed your visit.

Koko
--
New blog in progress
http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com

A Human being on the net
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote on 16 Feb 2007 in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Watched Nice Ladies making
>> flour torts and I brought a half dozen home with me.
>>

>What will you do with the half dozen Ladies? Stuff like that ain't legal up
>here...

She did say they were nice, and so is Barb. They probably went
willingly. ;-)

Koko