Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need Help With Throw-Together Ham-Potato Entree

I have 1+ lb of good leftover ham, some smallish Yukon Gold potatoes, 3
fresh crowns of broccoli, smoked bacon, cheese and well stocked pantry &
freezer. But I'm not quite sure how to throw it together for a skillet
dinner. I thought I'd steam the broccoli, cool & then chop it as a
topping over fried ham & potatoes. I was also thinking of making a
roux-based cheese sauce to drizzle over the entire thing but maybe I
could just grate cheese on it to simplify things. Before doing the ham
and potatoes, I'd caramelize a couple of large diced onions.

But what I'm not sure about is how to organize the onion-ham potato
combo and whether to precook the potatoes before frying them. I thought
I'd dice a couple of strips of bacon & supplement that with olive oil
for the frying medium. Should I do the onions first, add the diced ham
and then set that aside while I fry the potatoes, adding the ham &
onions back in afterward? I don't want the onions to burn while I crisp
the potatoes or interfere with that. Do I precook the potatoes or not?
Are there other ingredients that might enhance this affair? I'd
appreciate any ideas or tips. Thanks much!

Emma
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 14, 11:18 am, Emma Thackery > wrote:
> I have 1+ lb of good leftover ham, some smallish Yukon Gold potatoes, 3
> fresh crowns of broccoli, smoked bacon, cheese and well stocked pantry &
> freezer. But I'm not quite sure how to throw it together for a skillet
> dinner. I thought I'd steam the broccoli, cool & then chop it as a
> topping over fried ham & potatoes. I was also thinking of making a
> roux-based cheese sauce to drizzle over the entire thing but maybe I
> could just grate cheese on it to simplify things. Before doing the ham
> and potatoes, I'd caramelize a couple of large diced onions.
>
> But what I'm not sure about is how to organize the onion-ham potato
> combo and whether to precook the potatoes before frying them. I thought
> I'd dice a couple of strips of bacon & supplement that with olive oil
> for the frying medium. Should I do the onions first, add the diced ham
> and then set that aside while I fry the potatoes, adding the ham &
> onions back in afterward? I don't want the onions to burn while I crisp
> the potatoes or interfere with that. Do I precook the potatoes or not?
> Are there other ingredients that might enhance this affair? I'd
> appreciate any ideas or tips. Thanks much!
>
> Emma

Yes, I would do the onions/ham first because they will flavor the
spuds a bit. I would also precook the spuds. Sounds like you have a
great & tasty idea there! I'm thinking this will be like extra special
scalloped potatoes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Emma Thackery wrote:
> I have 1+ lb of good leftover ham, some smallish Yukon Gold potatoes, 3
> fresh crowns of broccoli, smoked bacon, cheese and well stocked pantry &
> freezer. *But I'm not quite sure how to throw it together for a skillet
> dinner. *
> Are there other ingredients that might enhance this affair? *I'd
> appreciate any ideas or tips. *Thanks much!

If only you had some left over omelet... and some flour tortillas to
make wraps.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
Sheldon > wrote:
>Emma Thackery wrote:
>> I have 1+ lb of good leftover ham, some smallish Yukon Gold potatoes, 3
>> fresh crowns of broccoli, smoked bacon, cheese and well stocked pantry &
>> freezer. *But I'm not quite sure how to throw it together for a skillet
>> dinner. *
>> Are there other ingredients that might enhance this affair? *I'd
>> appreciate any ideas or tips. *Thanks much!

>If only you had some left over omelet... and some flour tortillas to
>make wraps.

I'd think along the lines of scalloped potatoes of some sort (ham inside
or served seperately) and the broc as a green side dish to contrast with
that rich food.

Or frittata/Spanish tortilla - depends on how many taters, I guess, but
the broc stems (peeled and sliced) might be an interesting "stretcher".

Charlotte