Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Snowed in.

I'm snowed in but what's worse, I'm out of SweetTarts!!!

What else can possibly go wrong... go wrong... go wrong...

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:25:38 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>I'm snowed in but what's worse, I'm out of SweetTarts!!!
>

>What else can possibly go wrong... go wrong... go wrong...
>
>Andy

Make something sweet to eat. Something that is sweet and tart at the
same time?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:25:38 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>I'm snowed in but what's worse, I'm out of SweetTarts!!!
>>

>>What else can possibly go wrong... go wrong... go wrong...
>>
>>Andy

> Make something sweet to eat. Something that is sweet and tart at the
> same time?
>
> Christine

I'm snowed in too. Would love to make soup, but have tons in the freezer.
Just finished the rest of a veggie lo mein I made on Monday. It was really
good!

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:25:38 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
> >I'm snowed in but what's worse, I'm out of SweetTarts!!!
> >

> >What else can possibly go wrong... go wrong... go wrong...
> >
> >Andy

> Make something sweet to eat. Something that is sweet and tart at the
> same time?
>
> Christine

Lemon meringue pie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

elaine wrote:

> I'm snowed in too. Would love to make soup, but have tons in the freezer.
> Just finished the rest of a veggie lo mein I made on Monday. It was really
> good!

I am not quite snowed in, but it is still snowing, and quite hard at
times. We have not as much snow as we had expected, nor has the wind been
as bad. I had to clear out the driveway and the drifts were as high as the
mouth of my snow blower, and not too densely packed so it was blown out
with out any problem. We were expecting 20 inches but so far have only had
about 8. There were some drifts that were waist almost deep. My wife had
an appointment at the hair salon for 1:30 but the hairdresser called and
said that she could take her any time because everyone else had cancelled.

While we were out I went to the library. The roads weren't too bad. I think
we have turned into a bunch of wimps. This is no worse than what I have
been dealing with occasionally all my life. Last night they were
announcing school closures even before the storm had hit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:40:30 -0500, "elaine" >
wrote:

>I'm snowed in too. Would love to make soup, but have tons in the freezer.
>Just finished the rest of a veggie lo mein I made on Monday. It was really
>good!
>
>elaine

I just started some ground pork defrosting. I am going to make Ma-Po
Tofu tonight from the eGullet tutorial.
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=77679

I think the spiciness of this dish will be just perfect to warm me up
on this snowy day/evening!! I also have some asparagus that needs to
be eaten, but haven't decided on how to cook it yet.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith said...

> elaine wrote:
>>

>> I'm snowed in too. Would love to make soup, but have tons in the
>> freezer. Just finished the rest of a veggie lo mein I made on Monday.
>> It was really good!

> I am not quite snowed in, but it is still snowing, and quite hard at
> times. We have not as much snow as we had expected, nor has the wind
> been as bad. I had to clear out the driveway and the drifts were as high
> as the mouth of my snow blower, and not too densely packed so it was
> blown out with out any problem. We were expecting 20 inches but so far
> have only had about 8. There were some drifts that were waist almost
> deep. My wife had an appointment at the hair salon for 1:30 but the
> hairdresser called and said that she could take her any time because
> everyone else had cancelled.
>
> While we were out I went to the library. The roads weren't too bad. I
> think we have turned into a bunch of wimps. This is no worse than what I
> have been dealing with occasionally all my life. Last night they were
> announcing school closures even before the storm had hit.

Dave,

Here it's maybe 6" of snow but after the snow it rained for about 6 hours,
then turned to sleet and snow. Now everything is glazed over in ice. Just a
short matter of time before the white pines shed their limbs in a chain
reaction calamity.

There used to be a big mahaff (big shot) further up the street but he moved
and the township doesn't plow the road like they used to.

And the way things always are, once I finally get to the main roads, you'd
never know there was snow!

I wish the deer would graze on driveway snow instead of just laying around
on the patio!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney said...

> I am going to make Ma-Po Tofu tonight

Christine,

I want my Maypo!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>I'm snowed in too. Would love to make soup, but have tons in the freezer.
>>Just finished the rest of a veggie lo mein I made on Monday. It was
>>really
>>good!
>>
>>elaine
>>

> I just started some ground pork defrosting. I am going to make Ma-Po
> Tofu tonight from the eGullet tutorial.
> http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=77679
>
> I think the spiciness of this dish will be just perfect to warm me up
> on this snowy day/evening!! I also have some asparagus that needs to
> be eaten, but haven't decided on how to cook it yet.
>
> Christine

I make ma-po tofu pretty often, though I don't like tofu as much as many
others do. I substitute half the tofu for quatered shitake (or white when
required) mushrooms.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:40:30 -0500, "elaine" >
> wrote:
>

>>I'm snowed in too. Would love to make soup, but have tons in the freezer.
>>Just finished the rest of a veggie lo mein I made on Monday. It was
>>really
>>good!
>>
>>elaine
>>

> I just started some ground pork defrosting. I am going to make Ma-Po
> Tofu tonight from the eGullet tutorial.
> http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=77679

<snip>

I wonder why they're using silken tofu instead of regular? I would think
regular would be more suitable for this dish. Ideas?

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:14:20 -0800, "TammyM" >
wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message

>> I just started some ground pork defrosting. I am going to make Ma-Po
>> Tofu tonight from the eGullet tutorial.
>> http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=77679

><snip>
>
>I wonder why they're using silken tofu instead of regular? I would think
>regular would be more suitable for this dish. Ideas?
>
>TammyM

Well, the times I have had it in restaurants, it seemed to be a very
soft tofu. It just sort of melds with the sauce, not melting, but
just melds really well with it. The texture is very soothing.

This is Chinese comfort food....so I think the silken/soft tofu is
just perfect for that.

By the way, I am not using silken tofu, but soft tofu.

I don't know other reasons for using soft/silken tofu for it. Maybe
Aem has some ideas? Anyone else?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Poor Andy! I'm just glad I'm here in South Texas! Cold but not as.

--
Helen
in
"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> I'm snowed in but what's worse, I'm out of SweetTarts!!!
>

> What else can possibly go wrong... go wrong... go wrong...
>
> Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:40:30 -0500, "elaine" >
> wrote:
>

>>I'm snowed in too. Would love to make soup, but have tons in the
>>freezer.
>>Just finished the rest of a veggie lo mein I made on Monday. It was
>>really
>>good!
>>
>>elaine
>>

> I just started some ground pork defrosting. I am going to make Ma-Po
> Tofu tonight from the eGullet tutorial.
> http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=77679
>
> I think the spiciness of this dish will be just perfect to warm me up
> on this snowy day/evening!! I also have some asparagus that needs to
> be eaten, but haven't decided on how to cook it yet.
>
> Christine

I made a big pot of cabbage soup! Yum! I'm no vegetarian but this stuff
doesn't need an meat. Could throw in some smoked sausage.

-= Exported from BigOven =-

Helen's Hearty Cabbage Soup

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: Family

-= Ingredients =-
1/4 medium Cabbage
2 1/2 Onions ; sliced
1/4 pound Margarine
3 Potatoes ; diced
14 ounces Tomatoes
1/2 Water *

-= Instructions =-
NOTE: I try and cut down on the amount of marg * 3 times the normal
amount used to cook potatoes. I just cover them and add water if
necessary. In a large pot, fry onion and cabbage in marg slowly til
tender and brown. About 25 minutes. Boil potatoes til cooked. Add
tomatoes and fried onion and cabbage. Season to taste. Simmer 30 minutes.
Sausage can be browned with the vegetables and added as desired. From:
Helen Peagram Date: 05 May 94

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Helen
in
FERGUS/HARLINGEN
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/index.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Lemon meringue pie

Lemon meringue pudding
If you don't want splenda replace it with sugar. It's just as good

-= Exported from BigOven =-

WW LEMON MERINGUE PUDDING

Enjoy the pudding-like consistency of this ultra-easy, six-ingredient
"cake".

Recipe By: Edoc
Serving Size: 6
Cuisine:
Main Ingredient:
Categories: PUDDING, WW

-= Ingredients =-
2 eggs, separated
1 cup Milk ; 2%
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Splenda
1/4 cup All purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
Whipped ; cream

-= Instructions =-
Heat oven to 350 F. Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer on
high speed until stiff peaks form. Beat egg yolks slightly in large bowl
on medium speed; beat in milk, lemon peel and lemon juice until well
blended. Beat in sugar, flour and salt until smooth. Fold into beaten egg
whites. Pour into ungreased 1-quart casserole. Place casserole in square
pan, 9x9x2 inches, on oven rack; pour very hot water (1 inch deep) into
pan. Bake 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm or cool

Delicious!

** This recipe can be pasted into BigOven without retyping. **
** Easy recipe software. Try it free at: http://www.bigoven.com **

--
Helen
in
FERGUS/HARLINGEN
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/index.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:14:20 -0800, "TammyM" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message

>>> I just started some ground pork defrosting. I am going to make Ma-Po
>>> Tofu tonight from the eGullet tutorial.
>>> http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=77679

>><snip>
>>
>>I wonder why they're using silken tofu instead of regular? I would think
>>regular would be more suitable for this dish. Ideas?
>>
>>TammyM
>>

> Well, the times I have had it in restaurants, it seemed to be a very
> soft tofu. It just sort of melds with the sauce, not melting, but
> just melds really well with it. The texture is very soothing.
>
> This is Chinese comfort food....so I think the silken/soft tofu is
> just perfect for that.

You're making my mouth water! I'm convinced :-)

<snip>

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:38:32 -0800, "TammyM" >
wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message

>> This is Chinese comfort food....so I think the silken/soft tofu is
>> just perfect for that.

>You're making my mouth water! I'm convinced :-)
>
><snip>
>
>TammyM

Mind you, it is *spicy* comfort food.

I haven't made this particular recipe before...but it looks very good
in the pictorials, and the responses suggested that it was very good.

I did have a recipe a few years back, that didn't come close to the
versions I have had in restaurants. This version, looks more like
some of the ones I have had in restaurants.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:38:32 -0800, "TammyM" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message

>>> This is Chinese comfort food....so I think the silken/soft tofu is
>>> just perfect for that.

>>You're making my mouth water! I'm convinced :-)
>>
>><snip>
>>
>>TammyM
>>

> Mind you, it is *spicy* comfort food.

I saw the chillies! I'll likely have to tame the fire a tad for my tastes.

> I haven't made this particular recipe before...but it looks very good
> in the pictorials, and the responses suggested that it was very good.
>
> I did have a recipe a few years back, that didn't come close to the
> versions I have had in restaurants. This version, looks more like
> some of the ones I have had in restaurants.
>
> I will let you know how it turns out.

Looking forward to it!

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote in
:

> I think the spiciness of this dish will be just perfect to warm me up
> on this snowy day/evening!! I also have some asparagus that needs to
> be eaten, but haven't decided on how to cook it yet.

Marinate the asparagus in some blasamic and olive oil for a bit.

Get a griddle pan red hot and drop the spears on and sear them all over. (I
like the char marks to go across rather than up and down.)

Put onto a serving dish, drizzle with the remaining balsamic and oil, and
sprinkle with some Sea Salt.

Once you've tried it, you'll keep wanting it :-)

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

'Enjoy today, it was paid for by a veteran'

http://www.beccycole.com/albums/vide...ter_girl.shtml

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 14, 12:20 pm, Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:14:20 -0800, "TammyM" >
> wrote:
> >"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> >> I just started some ground pork defrosting. I am going to make Ma-Po
> >> Tofu tonight from the eGullet tutorial.
> >>http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=77679

> ><snip>

> >I wonder why they're using silken tofu instead of regular? I would think
> >regular would be more suitable for this dish. Ideas?

> Well, the times I have had it in restaurants, it seemed to be a very
> soft tofu. It just sort of melds with the sauce, not melting, but
> just melds really well with it. The texture is very soothing.
>
> This is Chinese comfort food....so I think the silken/soft tofu is
> just perfect for that.
>
> By the way, I am not using silken tofu, but soft tofu.
>
> I don't know other reasons for using soft/silken tofu for it. Maybe
> Aem has some ideas? Anyone else?

I dunno. I always use regular tofu myself but can't think of any
reason not to use silken tofu. The recipe looks good but note that
it's for a pretty big quantity. I don't use hoisin sauce in mine, but
if the cook likes things a little sweeter, why not give it a try? -
aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> I'm snowed in but what's worse, I'm out of SweetTarts!!!
>

> What else can possibly go wrong... go wrong... go wrong...

Well, your cable could have gone out ... and now when cable goes, so
does my internet access. Oh, well. Then, your tree could be iced down
so the only thing holding it up is your power line ... I can't wait to see
how
bad that haircut will look once things melt. Oh, well.

At least I had heat and electricity, no worries there, lots of people have
it worse. If that went, it would be Pack a bag, grab the cat, and drive
til you see lights. Get hotel room.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> There used to be a big mahaff (big shot) further up the street but he
> moved
> and the township doesn't plow the road like they used to.

Ha ha ... a fried of mine lives in my town, one of her neighbors is a
top employee for the township. They get excellent service, and are
always the first to be plowed out, etc.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
>> There used to be a big mahaff (big shot) further up the street but he
>> moved
>> and the township doesn't plow the road like they used to.

> Ha ha ... a fried of mine lives in my town, one of her neighbors is a
> top employee for the township. They get excellent service, and are
> always the first to be plowed out, etc.
>
> nancy

Yup.

My street dead ends so now it's basically last on the plow list to move
traffic. I'm OK with that, kinda/sorta.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
>> I'm snowed in but what's worse, I'm out of SweetTarts!!!
>>

>> What else can possibly go wrong... go wrong... go wrong...

> Well, your cable could have gone out ... and now when cable goes, so
> does my internet access. Oh, well. Then, your tree could be iced down
> so the only thing holding it up is your power line ... I can't wait to

see
> how
> bad that haircut will look once things melt. Oh, well.

nancy,

Magically, in all the years here, None of the utility wires have been
ripped out. Now, having said that!??

> At least I had heat and electricity, no worries there, lots of people

have
> it worse. If that went, it would be Pack a bag, grab the cat, and drive
> til you see lights. Get hotel room.
>
> nancy

I'd be on foot for a nice hike into town! My car doesn't manage up hills on
snow very well.

The snow plow guy cleared my driveway sometime late last night but it still
looks slick.

The Northern Cardinals are chirping and darting about and I didn't lose any
limbs (yet) so some things are right with the world this morning.

I thought about you, thinking whatever hits me is headed your way.

Glad you fared well, too!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:25:38 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>I'm snowed in but what's worse, I'm out of SweetTarts!!!
>

>What else can possibly go wrong... go wrong... go wrong...

Hey, I'm sweet and tart.... maybe I could have helped you through that
trying time.

Oh, well. Too late now.
LOL

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

said...

> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007 12:25:38 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>I'm snowed in but what's worse, I'm out of SweetTarts!!!
>>

>>What else can possibly go wrong... go wrong... go wrong...
>>

> Hey, I'm sweet and tart.... maybe I could have helped you through that
> trying time.
>
> Oh, well. Too late now.
> LOL

sf,

I'd take you ANYWHERE, if I could only get out of the driveway!

{hugs}

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> I'm snowed in but what's worse, I'm out of SweetTarts!!!
>

> What else can possibly go wrong... go wrong... go wrong...
>
> Andy

How about being snowed OUT? We were stranded next door (and I was
stranded away from my computer, any computer as they don't have one
there). We've been taking care of my 94 year old MIL while the rest of
the family is in Florida. Sleeping there and spending some days here
when we can find someone to take care of her during the day. Then the
snow started coming down, all 3 feet of it and that's alot when you have
really long driveways. Hubby had to do the long trudge thru the snow to
check on things here and see if the kitties were okay, and to keep the
fires burning since that's all the heat we have at the moment. It was
very difficult walking in wind and snow, crotch depth (LOL!!!) to get
home! I can laugh since it wasn't me but I still really missed my house
and furry family. We managed to plow half the driveway today and walk
the rest of the way. Trying to heat up house at least to the 50s before
we leave tonight.

But it sure is purdy outside. The trees, the snow, the pond. It's
gorgeous. Just wish it was a mite warmer so I could go out and take
pictures. Instead, I've been baking as an excuse to warm up the house
faster :-)

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melondy said...

> How about being snowed OUT? We were stranded next door (and I was
> stranded away from my computer, any computer as they don't have one
> there). We've been taking care of my 94 year old MIL while the rest of
> the family is in Florida. Sleeping there and spending some days here
> when we can find someone to take care of her during the day. Then the
> snow started coming down, all 3 feet of it and that's alot when you have
> really long driveways.

Melondy,

I have a really long uphill driveway and got 8" of snow/ice layers.

I can imagine being away from pets and worrying!

Glad that it sounds like you're about back to normal!

I was snowed in for two days. Today I got to town. Appeared as if nothing had
happened there. TYPICAL!

All the best to you and yours,

Andy