Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Easy French Toast Question

Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 10, 7:03 pm, "aem" > wrote:
> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
> Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

I would. Unless you like a heavy crust on your french
toast...medallions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10 Feb 2007 17:03:55 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>Do you trim the crusts off the slices?

Some do. Some don't. Personal choice rears it ugly head again.

The Fine Art of Cooking involves personal choice.
Many preferences, ingredients, and procedures
may not be consistent with what you know to be true.

As with any recipe, you may find your personal
intervention will be necessary. Bon Appetit!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
> Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

For me, yes. I would think that the crust, being more substantial to begin
with, would be just more texture than I would care to deal with :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
> Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

Why?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
> Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

That's entirely up to you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem said...

> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
> Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

I wouldn't.

And to spice it up, add a shot of Grand Marnier to the batter.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> aem said...
>
> > Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> > of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
> > Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

> I wouldn't.
>
> And to spice it up, add a shot of Grand Marnier to the batter.
>
> Andy

Vanilla and cinnamon isn't bad either.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> aem said...
>>
>> > Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
>> > of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
>> > Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

>> I wouldn't.
>>
>> And to spice it up, add a shot of Grand Marnier to the batter.
>>
>> Andy

> Vanilla and cinnamon isn't bad either.
>
> kili

kili, let's meet over at Longhi's for morning sticky buns!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
> Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

I would choose thinner slices because I delight in the custardy interior of
french toast (or izzit "Freedom Toast" now?)
If it isn't to your liking after you make it with crusts, you could always
trim them at the table...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:31:13 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>And to spice it up, add a shot of Grand Marnier

Some of us don't require liquor in the morning. Facing a new day
with a clear head is a privilege and a blessing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" > wrote in message
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> aem said...
>>
>> > Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
>> > of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
>> > Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

>> I wouldn't.
>>
>> And to spice it up, add a shot of Grand Marnier to the batter.
>>
>> Andy

> Vanilla and cinnamon isn't bad either.

Nutmeg, *in* the egg and milk mixture. Wonderful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott said...

> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:31:13 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>
>>And to spice it up, add a shot of Grand Marnier

> Some of us don't require liquor in the morning. Facing a new day
> with a clear head is a privilege and a blessing.

What a maroon!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

yuch!!! Oysters look and smell like they have already been eaten once.

jay wrote:
> On 10 Feb 2007 17:03:55 -0800, aem wrote:
>

>>Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
>>of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
>>Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

> To me French toast is better not thick.. a bread to egg ratio thing. So,
> I would decide to slice it not so thick. If I did it thick I would stand
> the bread on the egged crust in the skillet and try for some French crust.
>
> jay -- making oysters tonight

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
> Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

You use challah. And you don't cut the crusts off, no matter what.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Ward Abbott said...
>
>> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:31:13 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>>
>>>And to spice it up, add a shot of Grand Marnier

>> Some of us don't require liquor in the morning. Facing a new day
>> with a clear head is a privilege and a blessing.

> What a maroon!

Really. He goes from discussing the details of the tragic and fatal head
injury of a personality to playing Mr. Puritan. Uck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> kilikini said...
>
> > "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> >> aem said...

couple

> >> I wouldn't.
> >>
> >> And to spice it up, add a shot of Grand Marnier to the batter.
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Vanilla and cinnamon isn't bad either.
> >
> > kili

> kili, let's meet over at Longhi's for morning sticky buns!
>
> Andy

Longhi's in Lahaina? You know it! Yay! (of course it's overrated)

kili <------ missing her island but knowing the mainland is where she needs
to be right now
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> > "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> >> aem said...

couple

> >> I wouldn't.
> >>
> >> And to spice it up, add a shot of Grand Marnier to the batter.
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Vanilla and cinnamon isn't bad either.
> >

> Nutmeg, *in* the egg and milk mixture. Wonderful.

Yep, yep, absolutely.

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> Ward Abbott said...

>>> Some of us don't require liquor in the morning. Facing a new day
>>> with a clear head is a privilege and a blessing.

>> What a maroon!
>>

> Really. He goes from discussing the details of the tragic and fatal head
> injury of a personality to playing Mr. Puritan. Uck.

cybercat,

Yep. That and making dumb assumptions about french toast only for
breakfast.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 10, 8:03 pm, "aem" > wrote:
> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
> Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

I'd make bread pudding -- but, then again, I gotta be me....

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"aem" > wrote:

> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
> Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

In a word, no.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>> kilikini said...
>>
>> > "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:Xns98D3D0AC1A49Ecotd@

216.196.97.136...

> couple

toast.

>> > Vanilla and cinnamon isn't bad either.
>> >
>> > kili

>> kili, let's meet over at Longhi's for morning sticky buns!
>>
>> Andy

> Longhi's in Lahaina? You know it! Yay! (of course it's overrated)
>
> kili <------ missing her island but knowing the mainland is where she

needs
> to be right now

kili,

We'd have sticky buns and Kona coffee there after the morning swim, about
once a week.

The one on Front St.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kuvasz guy" > wrote

> On Feb 10, 8:03 pm, "aem" > wrote:
>> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
>> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.

> I'd make bread pudding -- but, then again, I gotta be me....

Heh, I made bread pudding once. I've never had that. Asked for a
recipe. It was delicious. Like a french toast casserole. Bread, eggs,
cinnamon, milk ... you get the idea.

French toast is easier.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jay" > wrote in message
> On 10 Feb 2007 17:03:55 -0800, aem wrote:
>

> To me French toast is better not thick.. a bread to egg ratio thing. So,
> I would decide to slice it not so thick.

Agreed. Came to that conclusion this week. I usually buy bread and freeze
it. Last bread batch was thick. Horrible for french toast.

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
> Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

No. I also prefer to cut the bread on the diagonal, to get longer
pieces.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> kilikini said...
>
> > "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> >> kilikini said...

> 216.196.97.136...

> > couple

> toast.

> >> kili, let's meet over at Longhi's for morning sticky buns!
> >>
> >> Andy

> > Longhi's in Lahaina? You know it! Yay! (of course it's overrated)
> >
> > kili <------ missing her island but knowing the mainland is where she

> needs
> > to be right now

> kili,
>
> We'd have sticky buns and Kona coffee there after the morning swim, about
> once a week.
>
> The one on Front St.
>
> Andy

Yeah, there are two Longhi's now. I think the other is in Kihei, but I've
only been to the one on Front St. for cocktails.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
> Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

It never would occur to me to trim off the crusts. French toast is
"pain perdu", meaning lost bread. It was originally made FROM French
bread because it is bread that doesn't keep very well and gets stale
fast. I don't think most people let their bread soak in the custard
mixture long enough. I've even seen some friends do a dip and turn and
start cooking. No, you have to let it sit in there a long time, turning
and getting each side really soaked with all that milk and egg. In fact,
if your bread is drier, it acts like a sponge and it speeds up some of
the soaking. You can poke the centers with a fork to make a way on, too.
My mom would let bread out on the counter for the night if it wasn't
very stale and first thing in the morning start the soak. She even liked
using those Holland Rusks for more savory type French toast brunches.
With a good soak it is very good and very tender. It has to be because
in Europe the way you eat it is NOT with maple syrup which they didn't
have, they eat it with powdered sugar and fruit or jam. So, no
additional liquid on top, just the delicate crunchy outside and the
custardy inside. Delicious!

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>> aem said...

> Nutmeg, *in* the egg and milk mixture. Wonderful.

Why milk?
elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hello, Melondy!
You wrote on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:56:45 GMT:

M> aem wrote:
??>> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French
??>> bread a couple of days old and you decide to slice it
??>> thickly and make French toast. Do you trim the crusts off
??>> the slices? -aem
??>>
M> It never would occur to me to trim off the crusts. French
M> toast is "pain perdu", meaning lost bread. It was originally
M> made FROM French bread because it is bread that doesn't keep
M> very well and gets stale fast. I don't think most people let
M> their bread soak in the custard mixture long enough. I've
M> even seen some friends do a dip and turn and start cooking.
M> No, you have to let it sit in there a long time, turning and
M> getting each side really soaked with all that milk and egg.
M> In fact, if your bread is drier, it acts like a sponge and
M> it speeds up some of the soaking. You can poke the centers
M> with a fork to make a way on, too. My mom would let bread
M> out on the counter for the night if it wasn't very stale and
M> first thing in the morning start the soak. She even liked
M> using those Holland Rusks for more savory type French toast
M> brunches. With a good soak it is very good and very tender.
M> It has to be because in Europe the way you eat it is NOT
M> with maple syrup which they didn't have, they eat it with
M> powdered sugar and fruit or jam. So, no additional liquid on
M> top, just the delicate crunchy outside and the custardy
M> inside. Delicious!

I think you have the right of it and I essentially agree with
you entirely! I will admit to one personal idiosyncrasy that I
have liked since I was in kindergarten (and that's a long time
ago in Britain). I leave out the sugar and use ketchup with
french toast!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> Hello, Melondy!
> You wrote on Sun, 11 Feb 2007 11:56:45 GMT:
>
> M> aem wrote:
> ??>> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French
> ??>> bread a couple of days old and you decide to slice it
> ??>> thickly and make French toast. Do you trim the crusts off
> ??>> the slices? -aem
> ??>>
> M> It never would occur to me to trim off the crusts. French
> M> toast is "pain perdu", meaning lost bread. It was originally
> M> made FROM French bread because it is bread that doesn't keep
> M> very well and gets stale fast. I don't think most people let
> M> their bread soak in the custard mixture long enough. I've
> M> even seen some friends do a dip and turn and start cooking.
> M> No, you have to let it sit in there a long time, turning and
> M> getting each side really soaked with all that milk and egg.
> M> In fact, if your bread is drier, it acts like a sponge and
> M> it speeds up some of the soaking. You can poke the centers
> M> with a fork to make a way on, too. My mom would let bread
> M> out on the counter for the night if it wasn't very stale and
> M> first thing in the morning start the soak. She even liked
> M> using those Holland Rusks for more savory type French toast
> M> brunches. With a good soak it is very good and very tender.
> M> It has to be because in Europe the way you eat it is NOT
> M> with maple syrup which they didn't have, they eat it with
> M> powdered sugar and fruit or jam. So, no additional liquid on
> M> top, just the delicate crunchy outside and the custardy
> M> inside. Delicious!
>
> I think you have the right of it and I essentially agree with you
> entirely! I will admit to one personal idiosyncrasy that I have liked
> since I was in kindergarten (and that's a long time ago in Britain). I
> leave out the sugar and use ketchup with french toast!
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

It does sound a bit strange to me as an old Belgian gal but to my
growin'-up-in-America side it sounds reasonable. Many Americans use
ketchup with their eggs and French toast is definitely eggy. Add some
sausage on the side and you have the whole breakfast. And tomatoes are
even sweet, as is ketchup. Might be worth a try for a bit or two and
check it out! I'll let you know if I do.

Melondy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 07:57:21 -0500, "elaine" >
wrote:

>> Nutmeg, *in* the egg and milk mixture. Wonderful.

>Why milk?

You do eggs only? I thought everyone uses milk, how much is another
discussion.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 07:57:21 -0500, "elaine" >
> wrote:

couple

toast.

> >> Nutmeg, *in* the egg and milk mixture. Wonderful.

> >Why milk?

> You do eggs only? I thought everyone uses milk, how much is another
> discussion.

I use a blurb for each egg. Then how much a blurb is is yet another
discussion. :~)

kili
--
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/kilikini

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 11, 3:56 am, Melondy > wrote:

> It never would occur to me to trim off the crusts. French toast is
> "pain perdu", meaning lost bread. It was originally made FROM French
> bread because it is bread that doesn't keep very well and gets stale
> fast. I don't think most people let their bread soak in the custard
> mixture long enough. [snip]

Well, thanks for a longer than expected series of interesting
answers. I don't trim the crusts and the last time I made it I
thought they were too crunchy so I thought of trimming them. Now I
see that the problem was insufficient soaking. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Feb 2007 09:27:09 -0800, "aem" > wrote:

>On Feb 11, 3:56 am, Melondy > wrote:
>
>> It never would occur to me to trim off the crusts. French toast is
>> "pain perdu", meaning lost bread. It was originally made FROM French
>> bread because it is bread that doesn't keep very well and gets stale
>> fast. I don't think most people let their bread soak in the custard
>> mixture long enough. [snip]

>Well, thanks for a longer than expected series of interesting
>answers. I don't trim the crusts and the last time I made it I
>thought they were too crunchy so I thought of trimming them. Now I
>see that the problem was insufficient soaking. -aem

I didn't answer your original query but my answer would be no also.

Now that I answered please excuse me for a segway. <g> It gives me
an excuse to actually get these notes off my desk.

B & B's often make french toast the night before.

For you or anyone else interested here's a great link to 150 recipes.

http://www.bbonline.com/recipe/frenchtoast.html

I had some french rolls that needed to be used so I read as many of
the recipes as I could until I got bored and put the following
together.

12 oz. day old french bread
6 large eggs
4 oz cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon white corn syrup (karo)
3 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Place cream cheese in freezer for 30 minutes. Remove and cube as
small as you have patience for.

Tear or cut the bread into 1 inch cubes

Place bread cubes and cream cheese cubes in large mixing bowl.

Place remaining ingredients except 2 tablespoons brown sugar in
another bowl and beat well.

Pour mixture over bread and cheese mixture and gently toss to mix
evenly and coat.

Transfer to baking dish. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour
but best overnight.

Top with remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and bake uncovered at 375
until golden brown. About 40 minutes.

Serve with whatever toppings you prefer or just butter.

Notes:

I had a bag of blackberries we picked last summer and I liked that
better than syrup.

The next time I make this I'll add some apple chunks and raisins.
Maybe a tablespoon or two of oatmeal. But it delicious as it was.

Any suggestions on cubing cream cheese easily would be welcome.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, kilikini1
@NOSPAMhotmail.com says...
> I use a blurb for each egg. Then how much a blurb is is yet another
> discussion. :~)
>
> kili

1/3c milk per egg has always worked for me.

--
Peter Aitken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Peter A" > wrote in message
> In article >, kilikini1
> @NOSPAMhotmail.com says...
>> I use a blurb for each egg. Then how much a blurb is is yet another
>> discussion. :~)
>>
>> kili
>>

> 1/3c milk per egg has always worked for me.
>
> --
> Peter Aitken

I never use milk when making french toast - don't know why. But when I'm
making omelettes, if I have cream around, I use it (a blurb, that is)

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" wrote:
> Just occurred to me. *Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
> Do you trim the crusts off the slices? *

Soaking in liquid without their crust bagette crumb would fall
apart... that it contains no fat bagette crumb is just too
structurally wussy. If you want to trim the crusts choose a bread
that contains fat, if it also contains egg that's even better... and
even then you'll probably need to use a deep fryer.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote:
> "Andy" wrote in
>
> > kili, let's meet over at Longhi's for morning sticky buns!

> Longhi's in Lahaina? *You know it! *Yay! *(of course it's overrated)

But not your sticky buns. hehe

Sheldon