Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Easy French Toast Question

On Feb 10, 10:27 pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "kuvasz guy" > wrote
>
> > On Feb 10, 8:03 pm, "aem" > wrote:
> >> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> >> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.

> > I'd make bread pudding -- but, then again, I gotta be me....

> Heh, I made bread pudding once. I've never had that. Asked for a
> recipe. It was delicious. Like a french toast casserole. Bread, eggs,
> cinnamon, milk ... you get the idea.
>
> French toast is easier.
>
> nancy

Oh, I don't know.... bread pudding is pretty straight forward to
make; Less prep work but longer cooking time... I'll have to dig out
that 20 year old dog-eared recipe and see if it has stood the test of
time.. Diet food it was not...

...fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:

> ... Then how much a blurb is is yet another
> discussion. :~)

I thought it was the same as a splosh?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"elaine" > wrote in message
> "Peter A" > wrote in message
>> In article >, kilikini1
>> @NOSPAMhotmail.com says...
>>> I use a blurb for each egg. Then how much a blurb is is yet another
>>> discussion. :~)
>>>
>>> kili
>>>

>> 1/3c milk per egg has always worked for me.
>>
>> --
>> Peter Aitken

> I never use milk when making french toast - don't know why. But when I'm
> making omelettes, if I have cream around, I use it (a blurb, that is)

Milk makes it more delicate, and more watery. I like French Toast with and
without, depending on my mood.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
> Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

Nothing's ever easy around here, you know that LOL

I got this recipe from a magazine (can't recall which) years ago. It uses
thick french bread (with crusts) and is a nice treat for that Valentine's
Day breakfast or brunch some folks might be thinking of preparing. And the
bread french is indeed soaked a long time, even overnight, so it comes out
crispy outside but custardy inside.

Fancy French Toast for Two

Four 1-inch slices of day old french bread
1/4 c. milk
1-1/2 Tbs. butter
2 beaten eggs or egg substitute
1/4 c. orange juice
1 Tbs. honey
1/2 c. cornflake crumbs

Arrange bread slices in a shallow pan. In a small bowl blend together the
eggs, milk, orange juice and honey. Pour over the bread. Turn each slice
of bread to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for several hours or
overnight.

Heat the oven to 475F degrees. Melt butter in an 8x8 baking dish (okay, you
can use a larger one if you wish!). Remove bread from the egg mixture; let
excess liquid drain. Dip the bread in crushed cornflake crumbs to coat.
Arrange in a single layer in the baking dish in the hot butter. Bake about
8 minutes each side, turning once or twice or until golden brown. Drizzle
the french toast with honey or real maple syrup. Or just serve it as is
with fruit. I like to sprinkle some ground cinnamon *very* lightly over the
toast. Haven't made this in a while; might just be making it when John
visits this week.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "elaine" > wrote in message
>> "Peter A" > wrote in message
>>> In article >, kilikini1
>>> @NOSPAMhotmail.com says...

>>> 1/3c milk per egg has always worked for me.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter Aitken

>> I never use milk when making french toast - don't know why. But when I'm
>> making omelettes, if I have cream around, I use it (a blurb, that is)
>>

> Milk makes it more delicate, and more watery. I like French Toast with and
> without, depending on my mood.

Or try a little orange juice. I make that way for someone that can't
have dairy and hates the way soy or rice milk tastes. It's pretty good
that way. But then I want to add orange zest and then stuff them with
some orange zested cream cheese and, and, well, they get out of hand
then...LOL!

Melondy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>aem wrote:
>> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
>> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
>> Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

The last time I made the NYT no-knead bread, I used the ass end of the
loaf for French toast. *HOLY SHIT* it was good!!!

Jo Anne
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melondy" > wrote in message
t...
> cybercat wrote:

>>> I never use milk when making french toast - don't know why. But when
>>> I'm making omelettes, if I have cream around, I use it (a blurb, that
>>> is)
>>>

>> Milk makes it more delicate, and more watery. I like French Toast with
>> and without, depending on my mood.

> Or try a little orange juice. I make that way for someone that can't have
> dairy and hates the way soy or rice milk tastes. It's pretty good that
> way. But then I want to add orange zest and then stuff them with some
> orange zested cream cheese and, and, well, they get out of hand
> then...LOL!

That sounds good!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> Any suggestions on cubing cream cheese easily would be welcome.
>
> Lou

Use a sharp thin blade and wet it frequently. Stand the cheese on a
narrow side rather than laying it flat to cut. Cincy, Lou. You can do
this.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Feb 11, 12:50 pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> Any suggestions on cubing cream cheese easily would be welcome.
>
> Lou

Try using a piece of thread. Stand the cheese on the narrow side like
Melba`said, then wrap the thread around the cheese`and pull.

Barb
s/v Arabella
www.sailinglinks.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ward Abbott wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 19:31:13 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:
>

>>And to spice it up, add a shot of Grand Marnier

> Some of us don't require liquor in the morning. Facing a new day
> with a clear head is a privilege and a blessing.

Perhaps you misunderstood Andy's cavalier use of the word "shot." For 2
large slices of bread, use one egg, 1/3 cup whole milk, and 1 teaspoon
of Grand Marnier or rum or whiskey. (An actual shot would be 1 1/2
Tablespoons and really would be too much unless one were making enough
french toast for 12 people.) The alcohol evaporates off, and such a
small amount wouldn't cause any lack of clear headedness anyway. The
flavor difference is enormous. That small amount of liquor transforms
ordinary french toast into something extraordinary.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:28:23 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Lou Decruss > wrote:
>

>> Any suggestions on cubing cream cheese easily would be welcome.
>>
>> Lou

>Use a sharp thin blade and wet it frequently. Stand the cheese on a
>narrow side rather than laying it flat to cut. Cincy, Lou. You can do
>this.

I don't know what I was thinking. I've used a wet knife for other
things but it didn't occur to me.

Thanks,

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11 Feb 2007 16:42:24 -0800, "ladysailor"
> wrote:

>> On Feb 11, 12:50 pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
>> Any suggestions on cubing cream cheese easily would be welcome.
>>
>> Lou

>Try using a piece of thread. Stand the cheese on the narrow side like
>Melba`said, then wrap the thread around the cheese`and pull.

Hummm. I've read of people using dental floss, but that didn't occur
to me either that day. Maybe I was sleep walking. LOL

Thanks,

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:47:04 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

> That small amount of liquor transforms
>ordinary french toast into something extraordinary.

I'll have to add that to my recipe. Tks.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss said...

> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:47:04 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> > wrote:
>
>> That small amount of liquor transforms
>>ordinary french toast into something extraordinary.

> I'll have to add that to my recipe. Tks.
>
> Lou

Lou,

Buy a tiny airplane size bottle (about 1 oz.) at the liquor store for a
couple dollars instead of the large expensive one.

Here's a recipe I worked from. If you try it, DO READ the reviews for
suggestions on improving this incredibly rich dish. Not diabetic friendly.

Creme Brulee French Toast
http://tinyurl.com/2yfrp2

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss said...

>>Use a sharp thin blade and wet it frequently. Stand the cheese on a
>>narrow side rather than laying it flat to cut. Cincy, Lou. You can do
>>this.

> I don't know what I was thinking. I've used a wet knife for other
> things but it didn't occur to me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lou

Alton Brown made an interesting cheese slicer using a board and an electric
guitar string. It worked great for hard cheeses. He didn't cut the soft
cheese.

Very clever. It stuck in my mind, just don't remember the construction.

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

said...

> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:45:34 GMT, Lou Decruss
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:47:04 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:
>>
>>> That small amount of liquor transforms
>>>ordinary french toast into something extraordinary.

>>I'll have to add that to my recipe. Tks.
>>
>>Lou

> Ordinary french toast is pretty wonderful just as it is!
>
> I always wonder why people have to add "extra" stuff?
>
> Alan Moorman

Alan,

You're right. I remember plain french toast (white bread, eggs & milk)
cooked in hot butter to exquisite dark golden doneness, plated, further
drowned in butter, carved up and soaked in Vermont maple syrup (no powdered
sugar!) and a tall glass of milk!

Still, nothing wrong with adding twists here and there every so often.
Kinda/sorta separates the gourmet cooks from the cooks.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> said...
>
>> On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 15:45:34 GMT, Lou Decruss
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 19:47:04 -0500, Julia Altshuler

>>> I'll have to add that to my recipe. Tks.
>>>
>>> Lou

>> Ordinary french toast is pretty wonderful just as it is!
>>
>> I always wonder why people have to add "extra" stuff?
>>
>> Alan Moorman

> Alan,
>
> You're right. I remember plain french toast (white bread, eggs & milk)
> cooked in hot butter to exquisite dark golden doneness, plated, further
> drowned in butter, carved up and soaked in Vermont maple syrup (no powdered
> sugar!) and a tall glass of milk!
>
> Still, nothing wrong with adding twists here and there every so often.
> Kinda/sorta separates the gourmet cooks from the cooks.
>
> Andy

Some days you can have wonderful plain French toast and other days you
can try something really special. It doesn't mean you have to only have
one kind of French toast. For a very special day, I made some French
toast for my niece using store-bought cinnamon rolls, the kind with
cream cheese frosting. I scraped the frosting off, sliced them in half
horizontally and then soaked them like for French toast. Then I cooked
them on a griddle and just before serving, smeared the cream cheese back
on. A little orange flavored maple syrup and she had a special day
breakfast. Decadent? Yes, but nice for a treat. A sweety treat for my
favorite niece.

Melondy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan wrote:

> Ordinary french toast is pretty wonderful just as it is!
>
> I always wonder why people have to add extra stuff?

If we didn't add extra and try to improve on wonderful, we'd all be
eating the same 20 recipes with no variation for our whole lives.

And then where would this usenet group be?

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 17:28:23 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Lou Decruss > wrote:
> >

> >> Any suggestions on cubing cream cheese easily would be welcome.
> >>
> >> Lou

> >Use a sharp thin blade and wet it frequently. Stand the cheese on a
> >narrow side rather than laying it flat to cut. Cincy, Lou. You can do
> >this.

> I don't know what I was thinking. I've used a wet knife for other
> things but it didn't occur to me.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lou

That's ok, it never occured to ME either!
I'm glad I re-read this thread. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Lou Decruss > wrote:

> On 11 Feb 2007 16:42:24 -0800, "ladysailor"
> > wrote:
>
> >> On Feb 11, 12:50 pm, Lou Decruss > wrote:
> >> Any suggestions on cubing cream cheese easily would be welcome.
> >>
> >> Lou

> >Try using a piece of thread. Stand the cheese on the narrow side like
> >Melba`said, then wrap the thread around the cheese`and pull.
> >

> Hummm. I've read of people using dental floss, but that didn't occur
> to me either that day. Maybe I was sleep walking. LOL
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lou

Wonder if a cheese block would work?
I have a small one and use it all the time. The wooden one with the slot
and wire.

I quit cutting cheese with a knife after cutting myself really badly
once when I was trying to thin slice an end piece of Jack.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Lou Decruss said...
>
> >>Use a sharp thin blade and wet it frequently. Stand the cheese on a
> >>narrow side rather than laying it flat to cut. Cincy, Lou. You can do
> >>this.

> > I don't know what I was thinking. I've used a wet knife for other
> > things but it didn't occur to me.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Lou

> Alton Brown made an interesting cheese slicer using a board and an electric
> guitar string. It worked great for hard cheeses. He didn't cut the soft
> cheese.
>
> Very clever. It stuck in my mind, just don't remember the construction.
>
> Andy

There is a special cheese cutter board made with a wire...

<googles> Hmmm... That was fruitless.
Guess I gotta take a quick jpeg:

http://i3.tinypic.com/2jb1kkn.jpg

I've also used it to slice thin pats of butter.

I love this tool and it really does not take up much space in the
drawer. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julia Altshuler said...

> Alan wrote:
>
>> Ordinary french toast is pretty wonderful just as it is!
>>
>> I always wonder why people have to add extra stuff?

> If we didn't add extra and try to improve on wonderful, we'd all be
> eating the same 20 recipes with no variation for our whole lives.
>

> And then where would this usenet group be?
>

> --Lia

Yeah. We'd be asking "Please pass the butter..." instead of fine dining
with strawberries and vanilla ice cream on waffles drowning in chocolate
syrup!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Julia Altshuler said...
>
> > Alan wrote:
> >
> >> Ordinary french toast is pretty wonderful just as it is!
> >>
> >> I always wonder why people have to add extra stuff?

> > If we didn't add extra and try to improve on wonderful, we'd all be
> > eating the same 20 recipes with no variation for our whole lives.
> >

> > And then where would this usenet group be?
> >

> > --Lia

> Yeah. We'd be asking "Please pass the butter..." instead of fine dining
> with strawberries and vanilla ice cream on waffles drowning in chocolate
> syrup!!!
>
> Andy

You forgot the whipped cream and chopped pecans...... ;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I remember plain french toast (white bread, eggs & milk)
> cooked in hot butter to exquisite dark golden doneness, plated, further
> drowned in butter, carved up and soaked in Vermont maple syrup (no powdered
> sugar!) and a tall glass of milk!
>
> Still, nothing wrong with adding twists here and there every so often.
> Kinda/sorta separates the gourmet cooks from the cooks.

I like the classic version, too, but my daughter's family often has it
with Trader Joe's apricot or mango syrup instead of maple.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Peter A wrote:

> You want some special French toast? Make it with challah. Even better,
> make it with brioche.

Or Portuguese/Hawaiian sweet bread. In the islands they sometimes serve
it with lilikoi (passionfruit) syrup.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Puester wrote:
> Peter A wrote:
>>>

>> You want some special French toast? Make it with challah. Even
>> better, make it with brioche.
>>

> Or Portuguese/Hawaiian sweet bread. In the islands they sometimes
> serve it with lilikoi (passionfruit) syrup.

That gets my vote as well :-)

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 10, 8:03 pm, "aem" > wrote:
> Just occurred to me. Suppose you have a loaf of French bread a couple
> of days old and you decide to slice it thickly and make French toast.
> Do you trim the crusts off the slices? -aem

==========
No, I would say it is not necessary and it looks a lot prettier with
it on. The crust holds it all together. Actually, I have never heard
of anyone trimming the crust for French Toast until I read these
posts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melondy wrote about making French toast:

> My favorite is that King's Hawaiian bread, stuffed with cream cheese,
> strawberries or orange.

I call that "Tahitian" toast, since it's a fusion of French and Polynesian,
and Tahiti was a Polynesian French colony... Oh, never mind, just my weird
sense of humor...

I like to stuff the bread with bananas, then top it with a cinnamon-spiced
pineapple-macadamia compote -- or do the nuts make it a conserve? I can
never remember that kind of thing.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:52:41 -0500, Julia Altshuler
> wrote:

>Alan wrote:
>
>> Ordinary french toast is pretty wonderful just as it is!
>>
>> I always wonder why people have to add extra stuff?

>If we didn't add extra and try to improve on wonderful, we'd all be
>eating the same 20 recipes with no variation for our whole lives.

Well said.

>And then where would this usenet group be?

Discussing our pans.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:20:49 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>Buy a tiny airplane size bottle (about 1 oz.) at the liquor store for a
>couple dollars instead of the large expensive one.

Good Idea.

>Here's a recipe I worked from. If you try it, DO READ the reviews for
>suggestions on improving this incredibly rich dish. Not diabetic friendly.
>
>Creme Brulee French Toast
>http://tinyurl.com/2yfrp2

Thank you Andy.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 12:59:32 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>> I don't know what I was thinking. I've used a wet knife for other
>> things but it didn't occur to me.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Lou

>That's ok, it never occured to ME either!
>I'm glad I re-read this thread. :-)

Yep. Lots of things to learn here.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:25:08 -0600, Andy <q> wrote:

>Alton Brown made an interesting cheese slicer using a board and an electric
>guitar string. It worked great for hard cheeses. He didn't cut the soft
>cheese.
>
>Very clever. It stuck in my mind, just don't remember the construction.

Hummm. My son has some old strings. I'll ponder this for awhile till
it's warm enough to work in the garage. LOL. Thanks Andy.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou wrote on Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:25:04 -0600:

??>> Alton Brown made an interesting cheese slicer using a
??>> board and an electric guitar string. It worked great for
??>> hard cheeses. He didn't cut the soft cheese.
??>>
??>> Very clever. It stuck in my mind, just don't remember the
??>> construction.

LD> Hummm. My son has some old strings. I'll ponder this for
LD> awhile till it's warm enough to work in the garage. LOL.
LD> Thanks Andy.

Has this been mentioned, I wonder? For many years I had a
Scandinavian cheese cutter shaped like a miniature guillotine
paper cutter. The "blade" was a stretched wire.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Assorted French toast opinions expresse4d:

>>You want some special French toast? Make it with challah. Even better,
>>make it with brioche.

> Heck, why ruin perfectly good brioche?

How about leftover Italian bread? Had a pizza at CPK last night and brought
home two slices (don't ask me why they serve bread with pizza), soaked them
in egg and milk overnight, baked them for breakfast and topped them with
Grade B maple syrup. Bonus breakfast!

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Alan wrote:

> We might be away from our computers, getting exercise,
> 'n stuff like that!

Nah. One of the reasons I exercise is so I can enjoy food more.
--Lia