Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Old Galloping Gormet recipe

Approx 35 years ago, Graham Kerr (Galloping Gormet) had a duck recipe.
I t was made with wine, raisins, apples, and mushrooms, and I'm sure
other ingredients. I would give my left arm for that recipe. If anyone
could direct me how to find this one, it would greatly be appreciated.
If you have this info, you can E-Mail me at

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Approx 35 years ago, Graham Kerr (Galloping Gormet) had a duck recipe.
> I t was made with wine, raisins, apples, and mushrooms, and I'm sure
> other ingredients. I would give my left arm for that recipe. If anyone
> could direct me how to find this one, it would greatly be appreciated.
> If you have this info, you can E-Mail me at

This was the closest I could find. It was in the Complete Galloping Gourmet
Cookbook - Graham Kerr's Culinary Collection (1972). Hope it helps.
-ginny

Duck a la Normande
1 duck, 4 1/2 lbs (Aylesbury, Long Island or Brome Lake)
5 oz seedless raisins
9 fl oz cider
2 fl oz port wine
4 fl oz heavy cream
2 green apples
3 oz. onion
2 tsp arrowroot
freshly ground salt
freshly ground black pepper
clarified butter*

Prepa
Prick duck all over, esp. around back so that fat will be realeased during
cooking. Slice nion thinly, measure port. Remove giblets from bird. Set
aside raisins in bowl and pour 5 oz. of cider over them. Allow these to
marinate for at least one hour. Measure remaining 4 oz. of cider. Wash and
core apples. Place in a serving dish in a warm oven. Preheast the oven to
400. A little string will also be required

Cook:
Truss duck with string andplace in a cassarole. Do not add grease or
seasoning.
Place bird uncovered inot preheated oven for 20 minutes.
After 20 min. remove duck, pour off fatty juices and discard. Season bird
with salt and pepper and coat it with clarified butter.
Return to oven (reduced to 350) and continue cooking for about 1 3/4 hours.
No basting is required.
Into a hot skillet add some clarified butter to just cover the bottom and
fry onion gently. Add neck and giblets and cook to extract their natural
juices. Season with salt and pepper.
Strain juice from marinated raisins into onion mixture. Allow to bubble
gently.
Reduce heat under sauce and occasionally add a little more cider from
measured amount.
Pour port wine over strained raisins.
Cut cored apples into 10 thick slices.
Pour a little cold clarified butter inot an unheated pan, just enough to
coat the bottom, pop in slices of apples and set heat a medium.
Turn apples after 2 minutes. They will have softened but not browned. Turn
heat off and drain off fat.
Sieve onion 'sauce' pressing through pulp and pour it over apple slices.
Add raisins and port and shake together gently.
Gradually pour in cream and return to pan to low heat incresing it slowly to
boiling point.
Blend arrowroot with remaining cider and stir into sauce.
Sauce will thicken instantly. Keep warm on low heat. Do not overcook or
apples will fall apart.
Remove duck when browned and tender. Cut away string, place bird on heated
serving dish . Arrange apple slices around duck.
Cover duck with sauce. Garnish platter with parsley.