Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cream Of Mushroom Broccoli Soup

After our discussion in chat last night about broccoli soup I entered my
recipe with a few alterations into WW so I could add it to my daily points
tracker.

Here's the recipe if anyone is interested. I tastes marvelous just like
the original recipe.

Cream Of Mushroom Broccoli Soup

soups
POINTS® Value: 5
Servings: 4

a.. 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
b.. 3 Tbsp olive oil
c.. 1 bunch broccoli
d.. 6 large mushroom(s)
e.. 1 large onion(s)
f.. 4 Tbsp all-purpose flour
g.. 5 cup fat-free chicken broth
h.. 4 oz fat free half and half
Instructions

dice the mushrooms and cut up the broccoli and dice the onion.
In a medium pan, heat oil and butter and saute onions and mushrooms. 5 min
Add flour, stir well and add rest of ingredients. Let simmer over medium
heat for 8-10 minutes. strain the soup and place solids in processor and
blend so there are very small pieces. Return to soup pot with the liquid.
Sprinkle with Parmesan if desired.

--
My Word
in

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 2:29�pm, "MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote:
> After our discussion in chat last night about broccoli soup I entered my
> recipe with a few alterations into WW so I could add it to my daily points
> tracker.
>
> Here's the recipe if anyone is interested. *I tastes marvelous just like
> the original recipe.
>
> Cream Of Mushroom/Broccoli Soup

Choose one or the other.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 8, 2:29?pm, "MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote:
> After our discussion in chat last night about broccoli soup I entered my
> recipe with a few alterations into WW so I could add it to my daily points
> tracker.

I watched the broccoli soup recipe on you tube that Jill posted. Just water
and broccoli with the addition of goat's cheese at the end. Has anyone
actually tasted this.

elaine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message

> h.. 4 oz fat free half and half

Admittedly, I don't examine all the little containers in the same
neighborhood as the milk, but fat free half & half? What the hell is in it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message
>
> > h.. 4 oz fat free half and half

> Admittedly, I don't examine all the little containers in the same
> neighborhood as the milk, but fat free half & half? What the hell is in it?

I saw some at Wal-mart the other day and wondered the same thing...

Fat-free half and half seems to be an oxymoron to me.

Kinda like fat free butter.

<lol>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
>> "MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message
>>
>> > h.. 4 oz fat free half and half

>> Admittedly, I don't examine all the little containers in the same
>> neighborhood as the milk, but fat free half & half? What the hell is in
>> it?

> I saw some at Wal-mart the other day and wondered the same thing...
>
> Fat-free half and half seems to be an oxymoron to me.
>
> Kinda like fat free butter.

Or organic salt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,

> >> Admittedly, I don't examine all the little containers in the same
> >> neighborhood as the milk, but fat free half & half? What the hell is in
> >> it?

> > I saw some at Wal-mart the other day and wondered the same thing...
> >
> > Fat-free half and half seems to be an oxymoron to me.
> >
> > Kinda like fat free butter.

> Or organic salt.

KMA babycakes. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>

>>"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message
>>

>>> h.. 4 oz fat free half and half

>>Admittedly, I don't examine all the little containers in the same
>>neighborhood as the milk, but fat free half & half? What the hell is in it?

> I saw some at Wal-mart the other day and wondered the same thing...
>
> Fat-free half and half seems to be an oxymoron to me.

Its kind of pointless anyway, the 4 TB of flour and the fat free stuff
used to thicken it has more calories and carbs than regular
half-and-half would. Sure, you save 10g of fat, until you butter a roll....

Dawn
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dawn" > wrote in message
> Omelet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>>

>>>"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Admittedly, I don't examine all the little containers in the same
>>>neighborhood as the milk, but fat free half & half? What the hell is in
>>>it?

>> I saw some at Wal-mart the other day and wondered the same thing...
>>
>> Fat-free half and half seems to be an oxymoron to me.
>>

> Its kind of pointless anyway, the 4 TB of flour and the fat free stuff
> used to thicken it has more calories and carbs than regular half-and-half
> would. Sure, you save 10g of fat, until you butter a roll....
>
> Dawn

I made a thick brocolli soup a few days ago. I used 2% milk and no flour. My
son watched, tasted, and said it needed more richness. I threw in 1/2 cup of
dry roasted peanuts (for 4 cups of soup). Voila. Rich.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dawn" > wrote in message
> Omelet wrote:
>> In article >,
>> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>>

>>>"MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Admittedly, I don't examine all the little containers in the same
>>>neighborhood as the milk, but fat free half & half? What the hell is in
>>>it?

>> I saw some at Wal-mart the other day and wondered the same thing...
>>
>> Fat-free half and half seems to be an oxymoron to me.
>>

> Its kind of pointless anyway, the 4 TB of flour and the fat free stuff
> used to thicken it has more calories and carbs than regular
> half-and-half would. Sure, you save 10g of fat, until you butter a
> roll....
>

> Dawn

So, you don't like it, don't make it. It works for me

--
Helen
in
FERGUS/HARLINGEN
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/index.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Dawn" > wrote in message
> > Omelet wrote:

> .. .

> >> I saw some at Wal-mart the other day and wondered the same thing...
> >>
> >> Fat-free half and half seems to be an oxymoron to me.
> >>

> > Its kind of pointless anyway, the 4 TB of flour and the fat free stuff
> > used to thicken it has more calories and carbs than regular half-and-half
> > would. Sure, you save 10g of fat, until you butter a roll....
> >
> > Dawn

> I made a thick brocolli soup a few days ago. I used 2% milk and no flour. My
> son watched, tasted, and said it needed more richness. I threw in 1/2 cup of
> dry roasted peanuts (for 4 cups of soup). Voila. Rich.

And you did that to avoid fat?

<smirk>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

>> .. .

>> > Its kind of pointless anyway, the 4 TB of flour and the fat free stuff
>> > used to thicken it has more calories and carbs than regular
>> > half-and-half
>> > would. Sure, you save 10g of fat, until you butter a roll....
>> >
>> > Dawn

>> I made a thick brocolli soup a few days ago. I used 2% milk and no flour.
>> My
>> son watched, tasted, and said it needed more richness. I threw in 1/2 cup
>> of
>> dry roasted peanuts (for 4 cups of soup). Voila. Rich.

> And you did that to avoid fat?
>
> <smirk>

No. I did it because flour adds nothing but thickness, and using cream would
add fat, but not much else. Peanuts added taste, and the perception of
richness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote in message
> news
> > In article >,

> >> .. .

> >> I made a thick brocolli soup a few days ago. I used 2% milk and no flour.
> >> My
> >> son watched, tasted, and said it needed more richness. I threw in 1/2 cup
> >> of
> >> dry roasted peanuts (for 4 cups of soup). Voila. Rich.

> > And you did that to avoid fat?
> >
> > <smirk>

> No. I did it because flour adds nothing but thickness, and using cream would
> add fat, but not much else. Peanuts added taste, and the perception of
> richness.

Okay, I'll buy that...

I'm just not a big peanut fan.

Too strong/overwhelming of a flavor, to me.

Heavy cream or Jack Cheese on the other hand....

To each their own!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

>> No. I did it because flour adds nothing but thickness, and using cream would
>> add fat, but not much else. Peanuts added taste, and the perception of
>> richness.

> Okay, I'll buy that...
>
> I'm just not a big peanut fan.
>
> Too strong/overwhelming of a flavor, to me.
>
> Heavy cream or Jack Cheese on the other hand....
>
> To each their own!

I suppose trimming your posts up to be considerate to others is out of
the question??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
. ..
> Omelet wrote:
>
>>> No. I did it because flour adds nothing but thickness, and using cream
>>> would add fat, but not much else. Peanuts added taste, and the
>>> perception of richness.

>> Okay, I'll buy that...
>>
>> I'm just not a big peanut fan.
>>
>> Too strong/overwhelming of a flavor, to me.
>>
>> Heavy cream or Jack Cheese on the other hand....
>>
>> To each their own!

> I suppose trimming your posts up to be considerate to others is out of the
> question??

Uh oh. Cabin fever.

Try the CTRL-END key combo. It's a miracle.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
JoeSpareBedroom

<Alan > wrote in message
> On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 19:21:20 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
> > wrote:
>
>>"Omelet" > wrote in message
>>news

>>> And you did that to avoid fat?
>>>
>>> <smirk>

>>No. I did it because flour adds nothing but thickness, and using cream
>>would
>>add fat, but not much else. Peanuts added taste, and the perception of
>>richness.
>>

> Oh, I don't know. Cream adds richness and a mild, but rich,
> flavor. I'd go for that before I'd go for peanuts.
>
> Alan Moorman

I was curious, too, because I see peanuts in some African stew recipes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 2007, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> ... but fat free half & half? What the hell is in it?

My neighbor puts it in her coffee so I took a look at the label and
tasted a teaspoon. The ingredients included milk and non-fat milk
"enhanced" with corn syrup solids, sugar and other
multisyllabic stuff. The taste was OK. I've never bought it
and doubt that I would.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KevinS" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> On Feb 8, 2007, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>
>> ... but fat free half & half? What the hell is in it?

> My neighbor puts it in her coffee so I took a look at the label and
> tasted a teaspoon. The ingredients included milk and non-fat milk
> "enhanced" with corn syrup solids, sugar and other
> multisyllabic stuff. The taste was OK. I've never bought it
> and doubt that I would.

I'm not going to buy the fat free half and half. I changed the recipe to
use the standard half and half and it didn't change the points. You can
also used 2% canned milk and it works too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MOMPEAGRAM wrote:
> "KevinS" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>On Feb 8, 2007, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
>>

>>>... but fat free half & half? What the hell is in it?

>>My neighbor puts it in her coffee so I took a look at the label and
>>tasted a teaspoon. The ingredients included milk and non-fat milk
>>"enhanced" with corn syrup solids, sugar and other
>>multisyllabic stuff. The taste was OK. I've never bought it
>>and doubt that I would.
>>

> I'm not going to buy the fat free half and half. I changed the recipe to
> use the standard half and half and it didn't change the points. You can
> also used 2% canned milk and it works too.

I'm not sure how Points are calculated, but if you're trying to cut
calories you're better off with the 2% milk than the regular
half-n-half. Regular H&H has 130 calories, 2% has about 60 per half cup,
like the fat free H&H. Leave the flour out and used puree'd broccoli
stems, and save another 100 calories. Not trying to be rude, just doing
the math.

160 calories equates to a handful of M&Ms. I'd rather have chocolate
than flour.

Dawn

Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "JoeSpareBedroom" > said:
> "MOMPEAGRAM" > wrote in message

> > h.. 4 oz fat free half and half

> Admittedly, I don't examine all the little containers in the same
> neighborhood as the milk, but fat free half & half? What the hell is in it?

We had this discussion once before and they use corn syrup to thicken
it up, as I recall. Less fat, but more simple carbs. No thanks...

--
Jani in WA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 14:25:17 -0600, Dawn >
wrote:

>MOMPEAGRAM wrote:
>> "KevinS" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...

>>>My neighbor puts it in her coffee so I took a look at the label and
>>>tasted a teaspoon. The ingredients included milk and non-fat milk
>>>"enhanced" with corn syrup solids, sugar and other
>>>multisyllabic stuff. The taste was OK. I've never bought it
>>>and doubt that I would.
>>>

>> I'm not going to buy the fat free half and half. I changed the recipe to
>> use the standard half and half and it didn't change the points. You can
>> also used 2% canned milk and it works too.
>>

>I'm not sure how Points are calculated, but if you're trying to cut
>calories you're better off with the 2% milk than the regular
>half-n-half. Regular H&H has 130 calories, 2% has about 60 per half cup,
>like the fat free H&H. Leave the flour out and used puree'd broccoli
>stems, and save another 100 calories. Not trying to be rude, just doing
>the math.
>
>160 calories equates to a handful of M&Ms. I'd rather have chocolate
>than flour.
>

>Dawn

WW points formula is
calories divided by 50 plus fat divided by 12 minus fiber divided by 5

c/50 + f/12 -r/5
with r = fiber

shh...don't ask me how I got this.

Koko Bond