Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 4-lb Tied Pork Sirloin

Can I brown this thing sufficiently in the oven, or would you pan-brown it
first?

If you would pan brown it, how do those strings taste browned?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> Can I brown this thing sufficiently in the oven, or would you pan-brown it
> first?
>
> If you would pan brown it, how do those strings taste browned?

You're going to eat the strings???!!!! I always cut them off and throw
them away before serving even if I do pan-brown my tied roasts before
putting them in the oven.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 2:27?pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> Can I brown this thing sufficiently in the oven, or would you pan-brown it
> first?

Brown it in a pot on the stove top and then braise it, you won't like
it dry roasted, trust me.

> If you would pan brown it, how do those strings taste browned?

You don't eat them right off, first you use those strings to floss
your crotch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

cybercat wrote:

> Can I brown this thing sufficiently in the oven, or would you pan-brown it
> first?
>
> If you would pan brown it, how do those strings taste browned?

100% cotton string imparts no flavor whatsoever. As long
as you don't eat them.

Brown away. Start it on the stovetop and finish in
the oven.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Skyhooks" > wrote:

> You're going to eat the strings???!!!!

NO! hahaha! I just wondered if pan browning the tied roast
with the strings on would give the meat a weird flavor. I will
not remove the strings before because of course I want the
thing tied when it is roasted.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Reg" > wrote in message
t...
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> Can I brown this thing sufficiently in the oven, or would you pan-brown
>> it first?
>>
>> If you would pan brown it, how do those strings taste browned?

> 100% cotton string imparts no flavor whatsoever. As long
> as you don't eat them.
>
> Brown away. Start it on the stovetop and finish in
> the oven.
>
> --

Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> Can I brown this thing sufficiently in the oven, or would you pan-brown it
> first?
>
> If you would pan brown it, how do those strings taste browned?

If you use cotton, it should not bother anything. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Reg" > wrote

> 100% cotton string imparts no flavor whatsoever. As long
> as you don't eat them.

Funny, today on AT Kitchen, they tested string for tying
a pork roast. They recommended a certain weight cotton
or cotton/poly blend.

Personally, I'd use all cotton. Whether it does or not, I feel
as though the poly would melt.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Nancy Young wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote
>

>>100% cotton string imparts no flavor whatsoever. As long
>>as you don't eat them.

> Funny, today on AT Kitchen, they tested string for tying
> a pork roast. They recommended a certain weight cotton
> or cotton/poly blend.
>
> Personally, I'd use all cotton. Whether it does or not, I feel
> as though the poly would melt.

The folks at ATK mean well, but they're not always
quite on the ball (cough). Here they assume the intended
use is only on a stovetop or in an oven. Very bad
assuption on their part. There are other possibilities.

A rotisserie, for instance. Cotton will usually hold up,
but plastic will do awful things.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 7, 4:39�pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Reg" > wrote
>
> > 100% cotton string imparts no flavor whatsoever. As long
> > as you don't eat them.

> Funny, today on AT Kitchen, they tested string for tying
> a pork roast. *They recommended a certain weight cotton
> or cotton/poly blend.
>
> Personally, I'd use all cotton. *Whether it does or not, I feel
> as though the poly would melt.

I wouldn't use synthetic twine either.

US butchers use a heavy weight 100% cotton twine. The Euro butcher
twine is much thinner and made of 100% linen (expensive). I have and
use both types. You can also use 100% cotton or linen undyed crochet
thread, I have those in various weights too. I like the crochet
thread because it's mercerized, doesn't stretch or shrink... also
costs much less than those labled "butcher's twine"... seems
everything sold for culinary use costs trice what it's worth.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" wrote:
> Can I brown this thing sufficiently in the oven, or would you pan-brown it
> first?
>
> If you would pan brown it, how do those strings taste browned?

Do a test run... can't taste any different from your used tampon
string. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Reg" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> Funny, today on AT Kitchen, they tested string for tying
>> a pork roast. They recommended a certain weight cotton
>> or cotton/poly blend.
>>
>> Personally, I'd use all cotton. Whether it does or not, I feel
>> as though the poly would melt.

> The folks at ATK mean well, but they're not always
> quite on the ball (cough).

Heh.

> Here they assume the intended
> use is only on a stovetop or in an oven. Very bad
> assuption on their part. There are other possibilities.
>
> A rotisserie, for instance. Cotton will usually hold up,
> but plastic will do awful things.

Yeah, I don't really think plasticy ingredients in string
are the way to go in cooking. They even tested some bright
yellow nylon stuff, gee, that didn't work out too well.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Reg" > wrote

> A rotisserie, for instance. Cotton will usually hold up,
> but plastic will do awful things.

When I got it unwrapped, it was in some weird stretchy
mesh bag.

I freed it and it was two really nice 2-lb roasts so ...

I browned both, and one is braising now seasoned with
just pepper and rosemary, a bit of water the only liquid.

The other is in the oven on 325 (40 minutes a lb) rubbed
with garlic, rosemary, and cracked pepper, moistened with
a bit of soy sauce and water. It is covered to retain moisture.
I may uncover it later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

cybercat wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote
>
>>A rotisserie, for instance. Cotton will usually hold up,
>>but plastic will do awful things.
>>

> When I got it unwrapped, it was in some weird stretchy
> mesh bag.

Yes, I know them well. The stupormarket droids often take several
pieces and stick them together in those mesh bags. They do their
best to make it look like a single piece, too.

Not so bad if I'm making a forcemeat or stew but if I'm making
a roast I'd like it to be in one piece and I'd definetely
prefer it if the people selling me the stuff weren't trying
so hard to misrepresent what's being sold.

As Andy would say, The Bums.

After too much of this kind of nonsense I started buying from
restaurant supply places whenever possible.

> I freed it and it was two really nice 2-lb roasts so ...
>
> I browned both, and one is braising now seasoned with
> just pepper and rosemary, a bit of water the only liquid.
>
> The other is in the oven on 325 (40 minutes a lb) rubbed
> with garlic, rosemary, and cracked pepper, moistened with
> a bit of soy sauce and water. It is covered to retain moisture.
> I may uncover it later.

Sounds nice. Have you considered trying it on a smoker?

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Reg" > wrote

> Sounds nice. Have you considered trying it on a smoker?

I don't have one, but I want one!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

cybercat wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote
>
>>Sounds nice. Have you considered trying it on a smoker?
>>

> I don't have one, but I want one!

Something tells me you'd have fun with it...

Mine is running at least a few hours every day. Today
I'm doing some salmon.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Reg" > wrote

> Something tells me you'd have fun with it...

Your instincts are right on!

Problem is, I have this small appliance graveyard going
in my kitchen, in the deepest recesses of the lower cabinets.

The steamer, the deep fryer, the breadmaker, the electric
frypan, the waffle iron, etc. I have been trying to streamline
lately. For example, when my sister-in-law did not return
my crock pot three years ago, I found it pleasant not having
to find a place for it, and soon realized that there is no real
reason to have one if you are willing to be at home with the
food while it cooks. Any pot can be a "slow cooker." (And
does anyone really leave crock pots on when they are not
home?)

So I hesitate to get another small appliance.

On the other hand, a smoker! The possibilities.

> Mine is running at least a few hours every day. Today
> I'm doing some salmon.

That sounds perfectly wonderful. How did it turn out?