General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,879
Default That pork roast

Saturday night I made the pork roast from the recently posted here
with a rub of fennel, garlic, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I made
a paste with olive oil before rubbing it on. I served it with roasted
sweet potato wedges, asparagus, apple sauce and salad.

It was delicious. Lars, our Swedish partner is visiting for a week,
staying with us, and he loved it, too.

Yesterday the guys went skiing and called me at noon to suggest going
out to dinner (Pappadeaux where Lars loves their fresh tuna coated with
poppyseeds.) I made reservations and they actually got back in time to
go. Dinner was very nice.

The pork roast was half of a huge loin from Costco. I froze the rest
for later. It was juicy and did not give up much in the way of
drippings, so I'm thinking it wasn't waterlogged with additives.

We'll have the rest tonight as leftovers and I'm open to suggestions for
a sauce to serve over it. Something fruity? Red wine-ish? Creamy
doesn't sound right.

gloria p
  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,622
Default That pork roast

Puester wrote:

> We'll have the rest tonight as leftovers and I'm open to suggestions
> for a sauce to serve over it. Something fruity? Red wine-ish? Creamy
> doesn't sound right.


Gloria, I really like this one from Chef Juke over on alt.food.barbecue. I
leave out the rum 'cause I'm a tee-totaler.

Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

NOTE: This is a slight variation on the classic Kansas City Barbecue sauce
from the KC Barbecue Association, for those who like their BBQ Hot & Smoky!

6 Tbls. packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup molasses
cup Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbls dark rum
2 Tbls yellow mustard
1 Tbls pure chili powder
2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 cup Chipotles en Adobo, finely chopped
2 cups ketchup
2 cups Raspberry Preserves (I use Wall's Berry Farm Raspberry preserves from
Costco)
Kosher or sea salt
Pepper

In large saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire, rum,
mustard, chili powder, pepper, garlic powder, allspice and cloves. Bring to
simmer over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, until all ingredients are
dissolved, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Stir in ketchup and bring
to boil, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Reduce heat slightly, add raspberry jam and 1/4 cup chipotles** and gently
simmer sauce, uncovered, until dark & thick, about 30 minutes, stirring
often. Use right away or transfer to jars, cover, cool to room temperature
and refrigerate. Sauce will keep several months. Makes 5 cups or 20
servings.

NOTES:
**Add the chipotle peppers to taste. Since simmering will bring out the heat
in the peppers start by adding cup of chipotles and cook for the 30
minutes THEN taste again and add additional peppers if you like it REALLY
HOT.

As with any recipe you can vary many of the ingredients to taste. Some items
that you might want tray adjusting are the amount of allspice and/or cloves
or the type of raspberry preserves (I have not tried this with straight
berries yet), etc.


--
Dave
www.davebbq.com


  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,523
Default That pork roast



On Jan 29, 9:19 am, Puester > wrote:
> Saturday night I made the pork roast from the recently posted here
> with a rub of fennel, garlic, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I made
> a paste with olive oil before rubbing it on. I served it with roasted
> sweet potato wedges, asparagus, apple sauce and salad.
>
> It was delicious.


Yes, I think that's the one from "Great Food Without Fuss." Very
tasty indeed.
>
> We'll have the rest tonight as leftovers and I'm open to suggestions for
> a sauce to serve over it. Something fruity? Red wine-ish? Creamy
> doesn't sound right.


I've used a mushroom - marsala gravy/sauce with it. Just sauteed
mushrooms in butter with a sprinkle of flour, then a couple of
splashes of marsala. Good, but I'm not sure it's a good match for the
flavors of the roast..... -aem

  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,852
Default That pork roast

In article
>,
Puester > wrote:

> Saturday night I made the pork roast from the recently posted here
> with a rub of fennel, garlic, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. I made
> a paste with olive oil before rubbing it on. I served it with roasted
> sweet potato wedges, asparagus, apple sauce and salad.
>
> It was delicious. Lars, our Swedish partner is visiting for a week,
> staying with us, and he loved it, too.
>
> Yesterday the guys went skiing and called me at noon to suggest going
> out to dinner (Pappadeaux where Lars loves their fresh tuna coated with
> poppyseeds.) I made reservations and they actually got back in time to
> go. Dinner was very nice.
>
> The pork roast was half of a huge loin from Costco. I froze the rest
> for later. It was juicy and did not give up much in the way of
> drippings, so I'm thinking it wasn't waterlogged with additives.
>
> We'll have the rest tonight as leftovers and I'm open to suggestions for
> a sauce to serve over it. Something fruity? Red wine-ish? Creamy
> doesn't sound right.
>
> gloria p


If you have any frozen stock, you can spice that up a bit, add some dry
white wine (rhine works) and thicken per your personal preference. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,879
Default That pork roast

Dave Bugg wrote:
>
> Gloria, I really like this one from Chef Juke over on alt.food.barbecue. I
> leave out the rum 'cause I'm a tee-totaler.
>
> Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
>
> NOTE: This is a slight variation on the classic Kansas City Barbecue sauce
> from the KC Barbecue Association, for those who like their BBQ Hot & Smoky!
>
> 6 Tbls. packed dark brown sugar
> 1/2 cup cider vinegar
> 1/4 cup molasses
> cup Worcestershire sauce
> 2 Tbls dark rum
> 2 Tbls yellow mustard
> 1 Tbls pure chili powder
> 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
> 2 tsp. garlic powder
> 1 tsp. ground allspice
> 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
> 1/4 cup Chipotles en Adobo, finely chopped
> 2 cups ketchup
> 2 cups Raspberry Preserves (I use Wall's Berry Farm Raspberry preserves from
> Costco)
> Kosher or sea salt
> Pepper



Thanks Dave. That won't be tonight because I don't have rasp preserves
at home today, but I have saved the recipe for later use.

gloria p

Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roast pork? [email protected][_2_] General Cooking 38 10-04-2016 01:20 AM
Pork roast elaich General Cooking 22 13-10-2008 03:44 AM
Best pork roast ever Edwin Pawlowski General Cooking 21 16-05-2006 06:39 PM
roast pork Kathy in NZ General Cooking 1 09-12-2005 12:19 AM
My Pork Roast :-) Melba's Jammin' General Cooking 58 17-11-2004 04:38 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2023 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"