Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Native American Cuisine

Is there a Native American Cuisine? What do you know about Native
American food? Is Mexican food Native American? http://nativechefs.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 10:36 am, wrote:
> Is there a Native American Cuisine? What do you know about Native
> American food? Is Mexican food Native American?

Your website seems to think that "Southwestern, Mexican or Native
American" are all interchangable terms. Not.

What about the northern tribes? I doubt the Southwestern or Mexican
NAs have a tradition of cooking with wild rice or salmon.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote on 29 Jan 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> Is there a Native American Cuisine? What do you know about Native
> American food? Is Mexican food Native American? http://nativechefs.com

Native American Cuisine is whatever a Native American Cooks. As to
Traditional Native American foods ask your teacher...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Is there a Native American Cuisine? What do you know about Native
> American food? Is Mexican food Native American?
http://nativechefs.com

I have a small pamphlet "Corn Recipes From The Indians", a collection
of corn recipes compiled by Cherokees. I have never cooked anything
from it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 8:36 am, wrote:
> Is there a Native American Cuisine? What do you know about Native
> American food? Is Mexican food Native American?http://nativechefs.com

Alder plank cooked/smoked salmon here in the Pacific Northwest

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 11:36 am, wrote:
> Is there a Native American Cuisine? What do you know about Native
> American food? Is Mexican food Native American?http://nativechefs.com

There is Native American food, it has changed over the years since
contact with Europeans and other folks who've interacted with them.
Much of their current cooking is similar to other cooking in the US.

For traditional recipes, try a google search for "traditional native
american recipes"

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Jan 29, 11:36 am, wrote:
>> Is there a Native American Cuisine? What do you know about Native
>> American food? Is Mexican food Native American?http://nativechefs.com

> There is Native American food, it has changed over the years since
> contact with Europeans and other folks who've interacted with them.
> Much of their current cooking is similar to other cooking in the US.
>
> For traditional recipes, try a google search for "traditional native
> american recipes"
>
> maxine in ri

IIRC, Rhode Island tribes (Wampanoags?) used a lot of quahogs, lobster,
fish and corn.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> On Jan 29, 10:36 am, wrote:
>
>>Is there a Native American Cuisine? What do you know about Native
>>American food? Is Mexican food Native American?

> Your website seems to think that "Southwestern, Mexican or Native
> American" are all interchangable terms. Not.
>
> What about the northern tribes? I doubt the Southwestern or Mexican
> NAs have a tradition of cooking with wild rice or salmon.
>
> N.

Ferns cooked in bear fat? popcorn? corn on the cob? planked salmon? wild
berries, snake meat, buffalo steaks, elk, moose, clams, oysters,
lobsters, various stews made of local ingredients, smoked fish,
dehydrated or air cured meats and veggies. My grandmother had a recipe
using philberts or hazel nuts pounded to a paste to make a kind on flat,
non rising bread.

But bear in mind that for the most part, even with more settled tribes,
the diet was a hunter gatherer diet, opportunistic and not as set as the
diet of the early european invaders that died because they would not eat
local produce.

I was at a potlatch in alaska once where the foods were all traditional
Native american regional foods, prepared as they had always been, and
though i think the cooks took some liberties with hygiene and prep work,
i was amazed at how good the foods were. My hillbilly relatives did not
cook as well as the Native americans.
--
Joseph Littleshoes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 12:29 pm, Puester > wrote:
> maxine in ri wrote:
> > On Jan 29, 11:36 am, wrote:
> >> Is there a Native American Cuisine? What do you know about Native
> >> American food? Is Mexican food Native American?http://nativechefs.com

> > There is Native American food, it has changed over the years since
> > contact with Europeans and other folks who've interacted with them.
> > Much of their current cooking is similar to other cooking in the US.

> > For traditional recipes, try a google search for "traditional native
> > american recipes"

> > maxine in riIIRC, Rhode Island tribes (Wampanoags?) used a lot of quahogs, lobster,

> fish and corn.
>
> gloria p

Yes. They used the lobsters for fertilizer around the Three
Sisters.<g>
Taught the Pilgrims to feed it to their pigs, until someone got the
silly idea
of eating the critter!

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 8:41 am, "Nancy2" > wrote:
> On Jan 29, 10:36 am, wrote:
>
> > Is there a Native American Cuisine? What do you know aboutNative> American food? Is Mexican food Native American?

> Your website seems to think that "Southwestern, Mexican or Native
> American" are all interchangable terms. Not.
>
> What about the northern tribes? I doubt the Southwestern or Mexican
> NAs have a tradition of cooking with wild rice or salmon.
>
> N.

Interchangeable? No . Each cuisine mentioned has it's own feeling and
texture but Native American they very much are.. We define Native
American as those aboriginal people found throughout the Americas.
Just as English, Scots, Irish and Welsh have their own common heritage
but a varying cuisine so do Native Americans based on a common ethnic
background with a commonality of cuisine found in corn, beans and
squash.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 8:41 am, "Nancy2" > wrote:
> On Jan 29, 10:36 am, wrote:
>
> > Is there a Native American Cuisine? What do you know aboutNative> American food? Is Mexican food Native American?

> Your website seems to think that "Southwestern, Mexican or Native
> American" are all interchangable terms. Not.
>
> What about the northern tribes? I doubt the Southwestern or Mexican
> NAs have a tradition of cooking with wild rice or salmon.
>
> N.

Interchangeable? No . Each cuisine mentioned has it's own feeling and
texture but Native American they very much are.. We define Native
American as those aboriginal people found throughout the Americas.
Just as English, Scots, Irish and Welsh have their own common heritage
but a varying cuisine so do Native Americans based on a common ethnic
background with a commonality of cuisine found in corn, beans and
squash.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 1:55 pm, Joseph Littleshoes > wrote:
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
> > On Jan 29, 10:36 am, wrote:

> >>Is there a Native American Cuisine? What do you know aboutNative>>American food? Is Mexican food Native American?

> > Your website seems to think that "Southwestern, Mexican or Native
> > American" are all interchangable terms. Not.

> > What about the northern tribes? I doubt the Southwestern or Mexican
> > NAs have a tradition of cooking with wild rice or salmon.

> > N.

> Ferns cooked in bear fat? popcorn? corn on the cob? planked salmon? wild
> berries, snake meat, buffalo steaks, elk, moose, clams, oysters,
> lobsters, various stews made of local ingredients, smoked fish,
> dehydrated or air cured meats and veggies. My grandmother had a recipe
> using philberts or hazel nuts pounded to a paste to make a kind on flat,
> non rising bread.
>
> But bear in mind that for the most part, even with more settled tribes,
> the diet was a hunter gatherer diet, opportunistic and not as set as the
> diet of the early european invaders that died because they would not eat
> local produce.
>
> I was at a potlatch in alaska once where the foods were all traditional
> Native american regional foods, prepared as they had always been, and
> though i think the cooks took some liberties with hygiene and prep work,
> i was amazed at how good the foods were. My hillbilly relatives did not
> cook as well as the Native americans.
> --
> Joseph Littleshoes

Not all Native Americans were hunters and gatherers. Large areas were
under cultivation using irrigation and even plant breeding. In North
America by 1700 large Native planted areas that included corn, beans,
squash, peach and apples were in evidence.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 29, 10:36 am, wrote:
> > Is there a Native American Cuisine? What do you know about Native
> > American food? Is Mexican food Native American?http://nativechefs.com

You got a reply to your question. And like they said, your site is
way off track. Southwestern/Mexican is NOT interchangeable with
Native American foods. You really should do the right thing and
change and update your site.

We VERY much stand by the fact that South Western and Mexican cuisine
is basically Native American. They both have their roots firmly in
aboriginal food. You can read http://nativecuisine.spaces.live.com/.
The basic thing Spain gave both these cuisines is it's language.

corn
beans
chili's (all of them)
chocolate
tamale
tortilla
hominy
tomato
mole
taco
tomotilo

To name just a few items are ALL Native American
http://nativechefs.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 30, 1:17 pm, " >
wrote:
> On Jan 29, 10:36 am, wrote:
>
> > > Is there a Native American Cuisine? What do you know about Native
> > > American food? Is Mexican food Native American?http://nativechefs.com

> You got a reply to your question. And like they said, your site is
> way off track. Southwestern/Mexican is NOT interchangeable with
> Native American foods. You really should do the right thing and
> change and update your site.
>
> We VERY much stand by the fact that South Western and Mexican cuisine
> is basically Native American. They both have their roots firmly in

Nobody is arguing that Native American doesn't include Southwestern
(note, one word) and Mexican cuisines. Your website implies that ONLY
these two cuisines are Native American. See the difference?

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 30, 11:38 am, "Nancy2" > wrote:
> On Jan 30, 1:17 pm, " >
> wrote:

> > You got a reply to your question. And like they said, your site is
> > way off track. Southwestern/Mexican is NOT interchangeable with
> > Native American foods. You really should do the right thing and
> > change and update your site.

> > We VERY much stand by the fact that South Western and Mexican cuisine
> > is basically Native American. They both have their roots firmly in

> Nobody is arguing that Native American doesn't include Southwestern
> (note, one word) and Mexican cuisines. Your website implies that ONLY
> these two cuisines are Native American. See the difference?
>
> N.

The intro to the website reads"Whether you call it Southwestern,
Mexican or Native American it is a cuisine that is strongly based on
Native American ingredients, traditions, history and taste." There are
three cuisines referred to with the linking "or". We could have added
some South American cuisines but felt the reader would get the idea,
which you seemed to have missed. So "no" I don't see the difference.

I am a retired executive chef/food and beverage director and Native
American. I am not some wannabe no nothing playing indian at a pow
wow. Sorry you did not enjoy our efforts.

http://nativechefs.com